Home
Posted By: FSJeeper Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
I had a Lee hand primer tool that gave unbelievable feel when priming cases by hand. After about 25 years, the casting broke and Lee does not offer replacement parts. I tried a RCBS bench primer and decided I prefer to prime by hand. My current primer is a POS Hornady which is not reliable, the primers can flip in the holder, and the small rifle primer piece already broke. I am fed up.

Who makes the best hand primer at this time?
No idea who makes the best, but I’ve used a RCBS hand primer for years with no issues, ever.
I liked the RCBS hand priming tool---whatever they're calling it these days. The Lee tool worked fine, but it was subject to wear and sometimes breakage and the strain on the thumb was not too much fun when priming large numbers of cases. The RCBS hand priming tool was better in every respect. I went to the RCBS bench mounted tool, though, because it's easier on the hands when they become a bit arthritic. I find that the bench mounted tool offers much better feel than I expected.
Look around for another Lee, I bought several at garage sales and in hole in the wall gun shops.. I love em. I have an RCBS ok but I bought it when I was on a trip and needed it and my old Lee's were home. I never use it nowdays.. They are not for sale.
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I had a Lee hand primer tool that gave unbelievable feel when priming cases by hand. After about 25 years, the casting broke and Lee does not offer replacement parts. I tried a RCBS bench primer and decided I prefer to prime by hand. My current primer is a POS Hornady which is not reliable, the primers can flip in the holder, and the small rifle primer piece already broke. I am fed up.

Have you looked at or tried the Lee Auto Prime?
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have you looked at or tried the Lee Auto Prime?

No I have not tried the new one, I think my old one was the original auto prime. The new ones look cheap but I am up for trying them if someone has positive experience to share. Anything will be better than the Hornady.
Are talking the Lee tool with the attached primer tray or the original that did not have one?
Are talking the Lee tool with the attached primer tray or the original that did not have one?

Attached tray.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Look around for another Lee, I bought several at garage sales and in hole in the wall gun shops.. I love em. I have an RCBS ok but I bought it when I was on a trip and needed it and my old Lee's were home. I never use it nowdays.. They are not for sale.

This.

I've bought enough off ebay to piece 2 good ones together and have some extra parts.
The Sinclair hand primer is a quality tool.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
Rcbs universal primer.
After breaking two of the Lee Autoprimes, I learned to clean the pivots and keep them lubed. I have three of them. But these days prefer my RCBS Bench Priming tool.

For future reference it would be good to know if there is a viable hand priming tool alternative though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
I have several RCBS
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
After breaking two of the Lee Autoprimes, I learn to clean the pivots and keep them lubed. I have three of them. But these days prefer my RCBS Bench Priming tool.

For future reference it would be good to know if there is a viable hand priming tool alternative though.

This. I cling to my Lee tool mainly for nostalgic reasons, it was one of the last things my Dad gave me a long time ago right before he died. When the squeeze handle broke 10 years ago I was mortified and tried several repair methods, none of which held up. I was advised that the "new" Lee parts wouldn't fit the old tool but I bought a new lever anyway to see for myself, and it dropped right in and works to this day. (I put a dab of grease on the friction points periodically to forestall future breakage.)
RCBS universal primer tool
Posted By: Fotis Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016958988?pid=582486
Posted By: JPro Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22

+1 on this one
Posted By: ERK Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
I’ve used the hand Lee for 45 years. No complaints. I do have a bad thumb now from some previous abuse. I picked up the Lee bench mount and so far so good. Excellent feel of primer going in. EdK
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
What Jordan Smith said. Unless loading in volume, spend the $ and get the Sinclair. You won't have a reason to ask about replacing parts again.
Posted By: mathman Re: Best available hand primer - 11/17/22
How about this one?

https://21stcenturyinnovation.com/b...ision-click-head-bench-rest-priming-tool

For a bench mount I love my old RCBS like this one:

[Linked Image from gunafrica.co.za]
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

got 2 of these one set up for small primers 1 for large primers, wish they made one for 50 bmg
Originally Posted by JPro

+1 on this one
The FA is decent, but not the same build quality as the Sinclair.
That’s one that I would like to try.
I started out with a original Lee hand primer then went with the Auto Prime. I purchased two extra from EBay just in case, but with lubrication it keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've tried several but I still like cheap ol' Lee hand primers the best.
I started out with a original Lee hand primer then went with the Auto Prime. I purchased two extra from EBay just in case, but with lubrication it keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.

I never thought about getting a replacement from ebay. That is exactly what I am going to do.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
After breaking two of the Lee Autoprimes, I learn to clean the pivots and keep them lubed. I have three of them. But these days prefer my RCBS Bench Priming tool.

This. I cling to my Lee tool mainly for nostalgic reasons, it was one of the last things my Dad gave me a long time ago right before he died. When the squeeze handle broke 10 years ago I was mortified and tried several repair methods, none of which held up. I was advised that the "new" Lee parts wouldn't fit the old tool but I bought a new lever anyway to see for myself, and it dropped right in and works to this day. (I put a dab of grease on the friction points periodically to forestall future breakage.)

This isn't the subject of the thread, but because I tried a couple of replacement hand held priming tools and they failed, I bought a Lee Ram Prime. It's a cheap, one primer at a time tool. It has good seating feel and is easy to use. They are about $15 USD.

I think it's hard to recommend a hand held priming tool because everyone has different size hands. It's one of those "try it and see" things.

https://leeprecision.com/ram-prime.html
I had two originals that broke and have gone to the Lyman Ram Prime similar to the Lee tool mentioned by Steve R, above.
Welp, This thread sent over to ebay to look at priming tools and I wound up buying another Lee as a back up. whistle

+1 on this one

Make that +2, although I do have a couple of RCBS Hand Primer tools at the ready if needed.
Originally Posted by WiFowler

+1 on this one

Make that +2, although I do have a couple of RCBS Hand Primer tools at the ready if needed.

I must admit, the reviews on the Franklin are hard to ignore.
I bought a franklin a couple of years ago after my lee hand primer ate it's pigs. I'm happy with it and I like the fact that the lee autoprime shellholders work in it.
Posted By: lotech Re: Best available hand primer - 11/18/22
21st Century
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 11/18/22
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012925290?pid=329291
I have lotsa hand priming tools,but the last thing I'd use is a "system" where I had to finger fhuqk each and every primer individually. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Lee units are fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint..............
Posted By: hanco Re: Best available hand primer - 11/18/22

I never thought about getting a replacement from ebay. That is exactly what I am going to do.

I started out with one of those about a hundred years ago. RCBS is way better, way faster!!
If the RCBS hand primer was heavier, I could tie a rope on it and use it as a boat anchor otherwise it sits in a drawer.
I have been using an RCBS hand primer that uses APS strips. I have a thingy for loading the strips too. No issues in 30 plus years of loading.
Posted By: cbay Re: Best available hand primer - 11/18/22
Bought the Frankford little over a year ago when my old lee gave out.
It had a crunch on the primers from the burrs/poor machining on the feed hole. Cleaned that up and has been ok.
The rod when fully extended does lean off center some - and is one solid piece so no changing that. But for my abilities it will do just fine.
It's built like a tank and is adjustable. You definitely know when you pick it up!
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by lotech
21st Century
this is the absolute best
Originally Posted by bugs4
21st Century

If you want the best I agree......
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I have lotsa hand priming tools,but the last thing I'd use is a "system" where I had to finger fhuqk each and every primer individually. Hint.

You took the words right out of my mouth....

+1 on this one

I must admit, the reviews on the Franklin are hard to ignore.

Looking at the Frankfort Arsenal inventory at the local Bass Pro Shop everything appears cheap looking to me.....a friend has one of their co axe loading presses a few years old and it is a piece of crap.

Not sure I would trust any reviews on their junk.
Posted By: sjc Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22
21st. Century is the absolute best hand primer. The quality is second to none. It is not inexpensive but quality never is.
Looks like the Cadillac of priming tools....I don't care for having to touch each primer.

Anyone tried one of these might be easier on the thumbs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101275795
Posted By: Bugger Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22

I too have been using an old Lee hand primer, since the 80’s. The first one finally broke. I found some on E-bay cheap and bought three. I don’t think there’s anything better.
Originally Posted by LFC
Looks like the Cadillac of priming tools....I don't care for having to touch each primer.

LFC, I replaced my Lee with the hornady. it is truly the biggest piece of handloading chit I ever bought. Poor design, primers flip easy inside the tray without you noticing and it sucks and is dangerous when primers get inserted backwards. The plastic part that attaches to the tool broke and is of a very poor design. It sucks.

I think I am going to buy the Franklin Armory one. Made in China, but seems to get the best reviews.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I liked the RCBS hand priming tool---whatever they're calling it these days. The Lee tool worked fine, but it was subject to wear and sometimes breakage and the strain on the thumb was not too much fun when priming large numbers of cases. The RCBS hand priming tool was better in every respect. I went to the RCBS bench mounted tool, though, because it's easier on the hands when they become a bit arthritic. I find that the bench mounted tool offers much better feel than I expected.

I've used an RCBS hand primer for 30 plus years...So Far, so good... I did buy 2 others over the years, so I don't have to change shell holders, and they are available for back up if one of them breaks on me for some reason...
Posted By: Seafire Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22

Maid didn't make it in this week? smile
Posted By: jdunham Re: Best available hand primer - 11/19/22

Another vote for the Sinclair.
Posted By: lotech Re: Best available hand primer - 11/20/22
Originally Posted by jdunham

Another vote for the Sinclair.
I've had a Sinclair and it was a good one, far better than any of the cheaper mass produced hand priming tools. It's built of good material and made to last and no one complains about them or looks for parts. Same for the 21st Century.
Originally Posted by LFC

Its not for high volume loading but for 50 rds or less there is nothing in its class, l have rcbs lee and when new worked ok but things wear our quick my frankfort arms works ok but is big heavy and clunky , I use my Dillon xl650 for all my high volume loading!
Originally Posted by LFC

Yes I have one & am not a fan. Mine is the older version that requires Hornady shell holders or that you open up the center hole in an RCBS or Lyman. Maybe the new ones are better, IDK. Also it just doesn't feel "right " when I use it. That's purely subjective I know.

Note that over 1/3 of the reviews on Midway are 1 star.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by LFC

Yes I have one & am not a fan. Mine is the older version that requires Hornady shell holders or that you open up the center hole in an RCBS or Lyman. Maybe the new ones are better, IDK. Also it just doesn't feel "right " when I use it. That's purely subjective I know.

Note that over 1/3 of the reviews on Midway are 1 star.

I think much of it is ergonomics. Its got to fit. And a little to do with how many cases you prime in one session.

With me, I rarely load more than 100 cartridges in one sitting. Generally, the cases are primed and waiting for me in an ammo box. I prime as a separate operation, on a different day. I don't have a need for fast priming or auto feed. Others may load considerably more or prefer auto feed.

There are members here who have problems gripping or squeezing the handles. The tool is the wrong fit and difficult to operate. Grip strength is a really factor for some people as well.

I think that's why the reviews vary considerably.
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by sjc
21st. Century is the absolute best hand primer. The quality is second to none. It is not inexpensive but quality never is.

You talked me into one.

I'd honestly never heard of one before this thread.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Best available hand primer - 11/21/22

+1 on this one

Yup got the RCBS uni also!
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
21st Century

When I got home today from deer hunting my 21st Century hand primer was in the mail box. I’ve been handloading since about 1976 It takes a lot to impress me. Last time I was this impressed is when my high polish stainless steel Wilson shoulder bump/neck bushing die arrived.

I was so impressed when I opened it I had to try it out....not sure if it's going to help my groups any but no other priming tool is or could be precise as this one....what I really liked is it's easy on the hands.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
21st Century

When I got home today from deer hunting my 21st Century hand primer was in the mail box. I’ve been handloading since about 1976 It takes a lot to impress me. Last time I was this impressed is when my high polish stainless steel Wilson shoulder bump/neck bushing die arrived.

I was so impressed when I opened it I had to try it out....not sure if it's going to help my groups any but no other priming tool is or could be precise as this one....what I really liked is it's easy on the hands.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

They used to make one that would accept a Lee primer tray not sure why they quit making it!
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 11/25/22
Black Friday 20% off sale at 21st Century Inovations

https://21stcenturyinnovation.com/

Coupon code is BlkFri20
Thanks for sharing that BF code. Just ordered their hand primer along with some other things, and got free shipping too. 👍
Posted By: Burr Re: Best available hand primer - 12/03/22
I know I'm late to the party here, but thought I would add some info on hand primers I've purchased and used. Like many, I used a Lee hand primer, until it broke. And like some others, I then tried some other hand priming tools, and eventually went back to Lee. The first Lee hand primer worked fine, until it broke. I eventually realized what would make me happy is to have a hand primer like my Lee. I ended up with a newer model that predated the Auto Prime, and also purchase several original Lee hand primers, that I've given to other reloaders I've intro'd to reloading. There's nothing wrong with just getting another Lee. I also tried others in between. As others have Stated, both the Sinclair hand priming tool, and the 21st Century hand priming tool let you know from the very start to the very end that they are at the pinnacle of quality. I still have them both, but single feeding primers prevents them from being my everyday hand priming tool. Also, like others, I purchased and used the Hornady hand priming tool. If I disliked you immensely, I would not give you the Hornady hand priming tool. I mean disliking you is one thing. But giving you a reason to dislike me in an equal amount - I just can't do that. Don't even think about the Hornady hand priming tool. This one tool put everything branded Hornady into a hesitant category, it really is too bad because I don't dive into Hornady stuff at all ever due to the hand priming tool My issue was primarily fail-to-fire reloads due to improper priming. I never had fail-to-fire with Lee. I've never tried the RCBS hand primer. When younger, my hands were extremely strong. Came from picking up 70 lb blocks with just finger strength thousands of times a day. But as I've aged, my fingers are not that strong any longer. Because I like to try things, I'm trying bench mounted priming tools. Not very far down that path, but I recently purchased the Forester bench mounted priming tool, and I have purchase and waiting for arrival of a CPS tool (Competition primer Seater). I would have preferred to try an RCBS Bench mounted tool when I purchased the Forester, but the Forester was available locally. I'm sure I will purchase the Lee Auto Bench prime tool too as I like to try many of options when it's not that expensive to do so. So far, the Forester works well, it's earned a positive review from me, but not at the expense of trying other options just to see what they are like too. Bench priming as a whole - is putting hand priming in the rear view mirror. I'm not for certain how much hand priming I will do after starting down the bench primer tool part. No sore hands, even when I prime several hundred in one sitting. And - repetition seems to improve my feel in using the tool successfully. I'm really optimistic about the primal rights CPS bench priming tool. Can't wait for it to arrive. It may be the tool that retires all others. We'll see when I get it. In addition to limited hand strength needs, it retains multiple primer capacity, and also has adjustable primer seating depth. It might be all anything else is, and more.
Posted By: pullit Re: Best available hand primer - 12/03/22
I tried the Hornady, was not a fan.
I have several things 21Centery makes and all are top quality.
I do not have one of their priming tools, but if I needed one, I would sure not be afraid to buy one
I've used the RCBS hand primer for a very long time. In fact, finally wore out the LR plastic insert the shell holder sits on, one of the petals broke off. Still works... but... A casual search has yet to find a replacement part and a call to RCBS is in order.
I’ve got a 21st Century en route, and will compare with my Sinclair once it arrives.
If anyone has an old style lee hand prime with a broken thumb lever and would like to sell please send me a pm.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I've used the RCBS hand primer for a very long time. In fact, finally wore out the LR plastic insert the shell holder sits on, one of the petals broke off. Still works... but... A casual search has yet to find a replacement part and a call to RCBS is in order.

RCBS may or may not have those parts, as I was told at one time that they didn’t keep the molds for plastic parts. So if stock is empty they are no more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 12/04/22
I’ve got a 21st Century en route, and will compare with my Sinclair once it arrives.

Do you get the final word ?

I'll save you the trouble there will be no comparison.
I have several of the old Lees, the RCBS Universal, a Lee Bench unit, one or two old Lee “single shots” like the ones that came with the Target loaders, and maybe a Sinclair someplace. Use the Lee Bench mostly now as it’s easier on my hands. The RCBS Universal occasionally lets small cases like the Hornet pop out of the shellholder and also the tray covers snap into place hard enough to flip primers, a major PITA.

Lee has been warning about Federal primers for years, first in the old hand units, and even now in the Bench Prime, which you’re only supposed to load with 20 at a time IIRC. I still keep one each of the old models handy for quick use and have a whole slew of shellholders.
I ended up getting the Franklin Armory unit. I am going to prime a large volume of cases next week and test it out.

I have large hands and this fits me perfect. It feels really good in action. It is clearly much better made. It is much larger and heavier than the Lee and Hornady and I think this would be a handful for normal sized hands.

It is clearly a better design than the Lee and Hornady hand held primer tools I have experience with.

My verdict so far is that it is superior to the Lee and Hornady in every way. Having not used it yet I can't
say anything about its viability in actual use.

The Sinclair and Century are super interesting and most likely the best, but with the volumes I do I don't want to mess with single shot primer feed and prefer the auto feed tray design.

Have loaded thousands of primers of all sizes with the Lee Auto prime for decades with zero issues until it broke, I will have fond memories of that tool.

Pappy I take it you missed the Lee Primer review a page or so back....
The only exposure I've had to Frankfort Arsenal tools is to check out their cheaply made Chinese copy of the Forster Co Axe press that my buddy bought and to look at their cheaply made tools at the local Bass Pro Shop.

No way I would buy any of their Chinese tools......in my opinion until Frankford Arsenal came on the scene Lee Loaders held the title of Harbor Freight of handloading tools award.
Originally Posted by LFC

Do you get the final word ?

I'll save you the trouble there will be no comparison.
I’m flattered, but have no desire for the “final word.” Another data point, is all.
The Sinclair and Century are super interesting and most likely the best, but with the volumes I do I don't want to mess with single shot primer feed and prefer the auto feed tray design.
I have owned and loaded thousands of primers with the various Lee units, Sinclair, Frankford Arsenal, etc., and the whole complaint about single feeding is largely an imagined problem more than a real one. With a primer tray and proper technique, I can prime cases about as fast with my Sinclair as with my Frankford. The quality and feel sensitivity of the Sinclair makes up for the tray on the Frankford, speaking strictly in terms of production volume.
I have owned and loaded thousands of primers with the various Lee units, Sinclair, Frankford Arsenal, etc., and the whole complaint about single feeding is largely an imagined problem more than a real one. With a primer tray and proper technique, I can prime cases about as fast with my Sinclair as with my Frankford. The quality and feel sensitivity of the Sinclair makes up for the tray on the Frankford, speaking strictly in terms of production volume.

Jordan, that is good information. If someone went the single feed route over the tray, which would be the best choice if any, the Sinclair or Century?

+1 on this one

I'm gonna have to give the Sinclair a shot if it is better quality than that FA. The FA is a tank and I like the adjustable seating depth. Once set properly, there's no need to "feel".
Just about worn out two hand primers.

Gonna go with single press feed.
Originally Posted by LFC

I take it you missed the Lee Primer review a page or so back....

Sweetheart,

You are the one asking question,not I and you are in wayyyyyyy over your pointy head with a simple sizing die. Lee is absolute fhuqking Dog Schit,as I plainly cited. Hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
That's okay....be happy with your Harbor Freight Chinese priming tools.
Sweetheart,

I simply shoot results and you've never even "seen" a Sound Rifle,let alone shot one and are simply talking out your ass. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: pete53 Re: Best available hand primer - 12/05/22
i needed to order a few things and i took a look at the Frankford Arsenal primer hand tool i was impressed so i ordered the kit , looks good to me.
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 12/05/22
Sweetheart,

I simply shoot results and you've never even "seen" a Sound Rifle,let alone shot one and are simply talking out your ass. Hint.

I don't need duct tape to hold my Chinese scopes together after I pitch them on the ground Slick....hint hint
Sweetheart,

Here's to the sweet "satisfactions" that are your's,given the fact that you can't begin to "afford" the rifles,scopes or the tape. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
I guess not.

I bet those Chinese Harbor Freight scopes you shoot are expensive....
Sweetheart,

I barely have 100's of scopes,so simply cite the one(s) which hurt your Tender Feelers most and I'll extoll the virtues of same,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

100's of Chinese scopes...

Big Slick you make me laugh....not Fhuqking Laugh just laugh.

Jordan, that is good information. If someone went the single feed route over the tray, which would be the best choice if any, the Sinclair or Century?
Good question. I just got hands on the 21stCentury today, and while I haven't loaded anything with it yet my initial impression is that build quality is similar to Sinclair. I like the convenient adjustment of seating depth of the 21stCentury, as well as the indexable shell holder, but I think the Sinclair is designed to be a little bit more robust and durable. I'll do some priming with the 21stCentury and see how it compares to the Sinclair in actual use.

I can say that production rate matters to me, and my FA priming tool largely collects dust, with occasional use, while my Sinclair tool gets the lion's share of priming duty. With a precursory handling, it seems that I could probably interchange the 21stCentury for the Sinclair and not notice much difference.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

+1 on this one

I'm gonna have to give the Sinclair a shot if it is better quality than that FA. The FA is a tank and I like the adjustable seating depth. Once set properly, there's no need to "feel".
Oh, it's definitely better quality. The FA tool is a solid cast metal unit, but if you keep the Sinclair (and I assume the 21stCentury will be similar) lubed, you'll be passing it down to your kids, who may pass it down to their kids.

I do like the seating depth adjustability of the FA, but you can also adjust the seating depth on the Sinclair, it's just not as convenient to change. Once you experience the feel of a high-quality priming tool, you'll understand the need. smile
Maybe we could take up a collection and buy Big Slick a 21st Century primer.

(I bet ol'slick could probably afford one if he stopped buying all those Harbor Freight Chinese scupes and lewding tewels...hint hint)

I'll donate 25 cents towards the purchase.
Jordan,

I am looking forward to your comparison after you take the 21st for a spin.
I've used the Sinclair and as I mentioned prior,the notion of finger fhuqking every primer,assuredly isn't for me. 'Course,I don't count kernels of powder either. Hint....................(grin)
What else you got to do during cabin fever season....
Your Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude,is fhuqking MAGNIFICENT,in it's grandeur. Hint.

Interesting 21st vs. Sinclair comparison video here,'course you gotta be 18 to view it,which will preclude more than a few. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Slick the video was a no show....
Originally Posted by LFC
Slick the video was a no show....

You poor poor(literally),Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Here ya go Little Slick...is that your cuzin String Bean ?

I closed my eyes and Poterfield almost put me to sleep.

Mine video came out black too Slick....ps. I like it when you type like a wetard.
No wonder a sizing die stumps you. Hint.

"Click" on "Watch on YouTube". Hint.

It will "magically" take you there. Hint.

Then the REAL "tricky" part,which obviously excludes you,as cited plainly prior. You gotta sign in. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Sure is a beauty Slick....
Jordan,

I am looking forward to your comparison after you take the 21st for a spin.
Just primed 50 rounds of 7-08. I primed 5 to get the 21stCentury set up, then 15 each with the 21st, Sinclair, and FA, timing myself for each. Small sample size, but it gives you a pretty good idea. This was priming, visually checking, and confirming primer depth by feel with my finger tip for each case.

Time to prime 15 cases with the 21st was 1:59, with the Sinclair was 1:50, and with the FA was 1:36. Average time per case was 7.9, 7.3, and 6.4 seconds. In this instance, the primers all fed smoothly on the FA from the tray into the tool, but sometimes they clog up a little and it requires a little shake to get the primers to feed down, taking a few extra seconds.

The time with the Sinclair was likely a bit faster than with the 21st because I'm more familiar with the Sinclair. Both felt similar, but I prefer the feel of the Sinclair just a bit more, and I think it provides just a bit more leverage. I certainly like the depth adjustment on the 21st. All this is very preliminary, but I thought I'd give my initial impressions.

If a guy's budget allows nothing more than the FA, it's a great tool for the price. If you can afford better, the Sinclair or 21stCentury is worth having.

Stick, for priming in serious volume none of these hand priming tools can beat my Dillon 650. wink
Originally Posted by LFC

(I bet ol'slick could probably afford one if he stopped buying all those Harbor Freight Chinese scupes and lewding tewels...hint hint)

So far we have only 25 cents towards your hand primer Big Slick.

You might be destined to eat Chinese chit the rest of yer days....

Sinclair hands down, anyone uses the K&N hand primer? got one but like my Sinclair better, what's your thoughts
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

I'd pay 25cts to get you to shutthehellllup.
Jordan,

I never really liked priming on my Dillon and tend not to. If you can shoot a Single Shot faster than an AR,it ain't the AR's "fault". I have lots of priming tools and none of 'em are that slow. Hint................(grin)
Originally Posted by LFC

Sure is a beauty Slick....

Seems like a lot of money to prime case in the slowest way possible.
Originally Posted by Blacktails
Thanks for sharing that BF code. Just ordered their hand primer along with some other things, and got free shipping too. 👍

Before the Black Friday sale ended I ordered one these too....kind of tricky to operate the wheel at first once you figure out the wheel placement it works.

Jordan,

I never really liked priming on my Dillon and tend not to. If you can shoot a Single Shot faster than an AR,it ain't the AR's "fault". I have lots of priming tools and none of 'em are that slow. Hint................(grin)
As mentioned, one issue with the FA that causes minor delays is that the primers tend to clog on occasion when transitioning from tray to tool, which isn’t the case with other tray-fed priming tools I’ve owned and used.

The point of the hasty comparison above is to show the relative time difference between methods when using the same process for all three. The absolute times would assuredly be cut across the board if I skipped the QC/QA steps. But like I said, if I’m really in a hurry to pump out volume, it’s hard to beat the Dillon.
I've yet to see the FA bobble in such a manner. The nice thing about the FA feed mechanism,is that it's FOOLPROOF,in that only a single primer can be fed at a time,which by default,negates bobbles. Hint.

I get what you were trying to convey,but David Copperfield can't finger fhuqk primers as fast as an unerring gravity fed tray,where all is contained and clean. 'Course I wasn't "blessed" with Lady Fingers either,so that's on me! Pun be intended. Hint.

My process isn't to load in a hurry,as I'm unfortunately both methodical and analytical,which allows much to be simply engineered out. The ONLY reason I'm Loading to begin with,is to roll GOOD ammo,wearing a bullet of my choice,in the location of my choice. I'll not cuss my 550B(I like Manual control),but it is,what it is and I personally never liked priming on Blue(any flavor). Hint.

My "trouble" is,that I never Load in lots of less than 100,if only because that's how primers are packaged. I keep GOOD notes,tend to mark ammo boxes well and shoot in a volume very few could begin to fathom,which incorporates 100's of barrels. Though I hung up Scattergun Loading many moons ago,I never set individual pellets in the cup either. Hint.(grin)

R&D is half the fun,but backwards is never forwards. Hint................
Never owned a Dillion press....too many gadgets to suit me.

I have owned several turret top presses a Hollywood and a Hornady hard to beat the stability of a Rock Chucker.
I've yet to see the FA bobble in such a manner. The nice thing about the FA feed mechanism,is that it's FOOLPROOF,in that only a single primer can be fed at a time,which by default,negates bobbles. Hint.

I get what you were trying to convey,but David Copperfield can't finger fhuqk primers as fast as an unerring gravity fed tray,where all is contained and clean. 'Course I wasn't "blessed" with Lady Fingers either,so that's on me! Pun be intended. Hint.

My process isn't to load in a hurry,as I'm unfortunately both methodical and analytical,which allows much to be simply engineered out. The ONLY reason I'm Loading to begin with,is to roll GOOD ammo,wearing a bullet of my choice,in the location of my choice. I'll not cuss my 550B(I like Manual control),but it is,what it is and I personally never liked priming on Blue(any flavor). Hint.

My "trouble" is,that I never Load in lots of less than 100,if only because that's how primers are packaged. I keep GOOD notes,tend to mark ammo boxes well and shoot in a volume very few could begin to fathom,which incorporates 100's of barrels. Though I hung up Scattergun Loading many moons ago,I never set individual pellets in the cup either. Hint.(grin)

R&D is half the fun,but backwards is never forwards. Hint................
In my FA, it’s the stopper slide on which primers bridge and hang up on occasion before they reach the throat of the tool. Not a big deal, but hampers the speed advantage of having an attached primer tray.

It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if the Sinclair or 21st had an attached tray, but not having one isn’t as big a deal as many make it out to be, and I get the feeling that the absence of a tray may be intentional.
Have never had the issue,so can't speak to it,but there's not much there and a glitch would be easily resolved. Hint.

If I didn't have to finger fhuqk every primer,I'd be in...but alas. Undoubtedly the lack of a tray wasn't an "oversight",but their audience isn't folks who shoot as much as me,which isn't a criticism. Hint...............
Posted By: pete53 Re: Best available hand primer - 12/05/22
i want a tray on my hand primer i don`t wanna spend that much time putting one primer in each time for each brass case that seems boring !
Have never had the issue,so can't speak to it,but there's not much there and a glitch would be easily resolved. Hint.

If I didn't have to finger fhuqk every primer,I'd be in...but alas. Undoubtedly the lack of a tray wasn't an "oversight",but their audience isn't folks who shoot as much as me,which isn't a criticism. Hint...............
Yeah, the problem wouldn’t be hard to fix, but it’s really not a big issue to me that warrants addressing.

21stCentury used to sell a model with primer tray, and I wonder why they quit.
Originally Posted by pete53
i want a tray on my hand primer i don`t wanna spend that much time putting one primer in each time for each brass case that seems boring !
Yeah, that extra 0.9 seconds to prime each case is a deal breaker! grin
My process isn't to load in a hurry,as I'm unfortunately both methodical and analytical,which allows much to be simply engineered out. The ONLY reason I'm Loading to begin with,is to roll GOOD ammo,wearing a bullet of my choice,in the location of my choice.
BTW, I’m with you there, which is a big part of why I’m willing to spend an extra 0.9 seconds handling each primer. I tend not to be in a rush when loading ammo.

I get it that not everyone wants to handle primers one at a time, bit it’s really not a big deal to me.
While a lovely Theory,it ain't Reality. With the FA and a shred of coordination,the next primer is lying in wait,long before the next unprimed case hits the shellholder. 'Course you needn't secure same,ala Sinclair. In the course of 100 primers,it gets purty ugly,purty quick and that by literal design. Hint.

I really don't wanna finger fhuqk many 1000's of primers,in the course of a year. Hint.............
While a lovely Theory,it ain't Reality. With the FA and a shred of coordination,the next primer is lying in wait,long before the next unprimed case hits the shellholder. 'Course you needn't secure same,ala Sinclair. In the course of 100 primers,it gets purty ugly,purty quick and that by literal design. Hint.

I really don't wanna finger fhuqk many 1000's of primers,in the course of a year. Hint.............
Understood. I "suffer through" manually handling several thousand primers per year, but I get why a guy might not want to. I'm not sure how many thousands you go through in a year, but the per-primer time difference adds up the more a guy shoots, so I don't hold it against anyone that shoots a lot and wants an attached primer tray.

Having said that, with a bit of process design, it's possible to grab a case and with the same hand grab a primer while en route to the shellholder. Granted, it's not quite as fast as an attached tray, but it's not much slower, either.
I still love you. Hint.................(grin)
LOL
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best available hand primer - 12/06/22
I understand we’re debating on tenths of seconds here but some have real struggles. Some are waiting from 8-10 minutes between shots to get accurate groups. Keep in mind that is with standard barrels not carbon wrapped barrels.

Maybe forces could be joined and we can get past our differences in seconds spent priming brass when some have to wait ten minutes between shots. Do you fine gentlemen have any advice where a brother in arms can say make a 3 shot group in less than a episode of full house? Let’s put our differences assure and work for the greater good of our shooting community.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best available hand primer - 12/06/22
Oh hash tag range time matters.
I got the FA version as referenced here. Liking it alot so far.
Posted By: LFC Re: Best available hand primer - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

I'd pay 25cts to get you to shutthehellllup.

Did I hurt those Harbor Freight feelings....
Just got through running the Franklin Armory priming tool through the paces on 300 450 Bushmaster cases. I like it, it works well, and I had zero issues with it. Superior to the Lee Auto Prime and we already know the Hornady is a complete piece of dog deposit.
I didn't read the thread so I may have jumped in earlier but fir pure utility I live my rcbs aps hand tool. I have the tool to load the strips and plenty of strips on hand. It's a universal shell holder that works too.

I wish I still had my pro 2000 progressive that took aps strips. I did score several thousand cci primers in aps strips for $4/1000 years ago that influenced me to go that route. Most of those are long gone but the strips remain and it doesn't take long to seat 1000 into them. Easier than pick up tubes.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire