Home
Posted By: 358Dog Help with Deep Curl bullets - 11/23/22
I only use IMR powders, and I am looking for a load to start with....some say the Deep Curl pills are different.
270 Win.,,150 gr. I did see a list from Speer that showed Reloder 17 and Reloder 19..... So can someone tell me an IMR equivalent? Thanks.
IMR 4350
IMR-4350 is roughly equivalent, but a little slower than RL17
IMR-4831 is roughly equivalent to RL19, and would be my preferred choice of the 2 for 150s.

Start low with those deep curls, as they are discontinued for a reason and might show pressure below max of other 150s.

If you can find RL26, that’s your huckleberry.
I found a sheet sent by Speer with loads for the 150gr Deep Curl in 270. The only powders listed are RLl7, RL19, and Hunter.
Posted By: 358Dog Re: Help with Deep Curl bullets - 11/24/22
Southtexas,,, yes, I called Speer and they sent me the same sheet of information.
I guess I will try the IMR 4350.....because the only other powders I have on hand are, 3031, 4064, and 8208.
Posted By: LFC Re: Help with Deep Curl bullets - 11/24/22
What is a deep curl bullet ?
Posted By: lotech Re: Help with Deep Curl bullets - 11/24/22
I haven't used any of these in a good while; without digging out the notes, this is what I remember... I've used them in 6mm Remington, .270 Winchester, and 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. If you're not confortable working up your own data, go to a different bullet. Much of the limited published data calls for charges that are slightly below those published for other bullets of the same weight. Some, maybe all of these bullets are a bit larger in diameter than other bullets of the same caliber. Whether this is the reason for their normally fine accuracy and the decreased powder charges, I don't know for sure, but I suspect these factors have some bearing on that.

Speer stopped making the Deep Curls not long after I worked the 90 grain 6mm bullets in a Cooper 6mm Remington. I couldn't see much point in continuing to work with bullets that would no longer be manufactured. I've never killed game with Deep Curl bullets but wouldn't hesitate in using them on a hunt.
Originally Posted by LFC
What is a deep curl bullet ?

They were a type of bullet Speer put out for handloaders 10 or 12 years ago which had the jacket sort of electroplated on to the core. Pretty much the same process as a Federal Fusion or a Speer Gold Dot. Speer claimed you should only use their specific data for them. After a lot of initial hoopla, they disappeared during the Obama component shortage. Good bullets, I killed 2or3 animals with them, all exited and expanded well.
© 24hourcampfire