Home
Cheaper to buy factory or reload? Looking for the easy button. Thinking 220 Sierra's to stay subsonic
It's cheaper, but not by a whole heck of a lot, unless you catch sales. Mines primarily set up as an HD/Truck gun setup with 9" barrel and I only load Nosler 110 Varmageddons at 2130FPS.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
125 gr Sierra Pro Hunters or Speer TNT's and Hodgdon's max charge of Lil'Gun. Brass is mostly cut down .223/5.56 range pickups. It's lots cheaper than buying new.
I do....

11 shots/50 yds/subsonic cast lead 205grains

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e/re-inspired-by-the-thread#Post17885415

ya!

GWB
Check out ACME cast bullets if you want to save money with subsonics.
Way back when I costed-out the equipment and supplies for loading a few hundred rounds and it came out to just over $500. Today, likely more. Much more.

With the prices I'm seeing today, I'll just keep buying.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Cheaper to buy factory or reload?
Do you already reload for other metallic cartridges? If so, then adding a set of dies and some components is a pretty straighforward endeavor. I can load 220gr subsonics for about $9-10 a box (20 rounds), about half the price of cheap ammo, and 1/3 the price of the more expensive, subsonic Blackout ammo.

If you're not already reloading, then justfying a whole loading set-up just to load .300 Blackout ammo seems less ideal. I suppose it depends on how much ammo you plan to shoot. Potentially saving $20 a box on ammo would pay for reloading equipment pretty quickly, if you shoot a lot.

Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Looking for the easy button. Thinking 220 Sierra's to stay subsonic
I bought some 220gr BTHP factory seconds from Midway about a month back. They were around $30-35 a hundred, with free shipping, which is pretty cheap these days. They are now gone, at Midway, but MidSouth still has some: Link.

I like Lil' Gun powder in my Ruger American bolt action. The smaller powder charges with Lil' Gun make for noticeably quieter ammo. I don't have an AR chambered for the Blackout, but my friends that do, prefer CFE BLK and/or AA1680 powders for their ARs. One friend said it took some experimenting to arrive at a load that reliably cycles in his AR, and once he finally got there, he doesn't want to deviate from his AA1680 load.
speer 125 TNT's, H110 CCI 450's mostly ,
heavy subs 1680 is your friend
Hand loading for two.....

Had an Aero Precision built a few yrs ago.....Ruger American in pic

Run mostly 110's & 125 TNT's

No can on either...like 'em both

Practically speaking, is the 300 BO (subsonic) a ~150 yd proposition?
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Depends on what you intend to do at 150 yards. Shoot steel? Kill big game? Kill varmints?
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Depends on what you intend to do at 150 yards. Shoot steel? Kill big game? Kill varmints?

Sorry - I dropped the ball on this thread!
Mostly coyote calling. Subsonic.
In my Ruger American, just like Tikkanut’s, I’ve gotten better accuracy with IMR 4227 than Lilgun. So far, I’ve only worked with Barnes TacTX and the Hornady 110 VMAX. I’m giving up about 100 fps or so but got much better accuracy.

I haven’t done any subsonic work yet
LilGun didn't shoot for beans in either 300BO I've owned. It was an absolute buckshot flinger in the RAR I had. It's not that bad in the CVA I have now, but it's not great, either.

CFE BLK and IMR4227 shot well in both. I got a bunch of CFE BLK cheap right after I had bought the RAR, so it's mostly what I use. Supersonic velocities aren't great with it, but it has been accurate with any bullet I've stuck over it. As a nice bonus, it also shoots lights out in my 222.
Some guys have problems getting the 300 BO to shoot subsonic, super isn't an issue. I'm going to the 350L in a 1-10 for my subsonic work.
good info, i am probably going to start gathering dies etc for this round.
© 24hourcampfire