Home
Posted By: Double_Aught Calipers - 01/29/23
Looking for recommendations on a new set of calipers. After about 5 years my harbor freight digital calipers are acting up on me and giving me some weird readouts. Would like to step up in quality and get a set that I have more confidence in.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Mitutoyo..
Posted By: lotech Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I've had cheap one and they work as well as the good but they don't last if you use them a lot, like daily; don't know if it's cheaper materials or what. I've been using Brown & Sharpe for quite a while now. They're better than the cheap ones and stand up to heavy daily usage. They last longer than the cheap stuff. Same for micrometers.
Posted By: Double_Aught Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Is a dial much slower to read than a digital? The simplicity and not having to worry about batteries doesn’t sound too bad.
Posted By: EdM Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mitutoyo..

Bingo. Mine came from a pawn shop many years ago.
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had cheap one and they work as well as the good but they don't last if you use them a lot, like daily; don't know if it's cheaper materials or what. I've been using Brown & Sharpe for quite a while now. They're better than the cheap ones and stand up to heavy daily usage. They last longer than the cheap stuff. Same for micrometers.

You get what you pay for. I've been using these for more than 20 years:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I use these just about every day too.
Originally Posted by Double_Aught
Is a dial much slower to read than a digital? The simplicity and not having to worry about batteries doesn’t sound too bad.

Have you seen how many guys here have posted wrong readings when using that type? It's much easier to f up with that style. Might as well be using a vernier caliper.. JMHO..

Moral to reloading: Keep schidt simple. Don't cut important corners..
Posted By: lotech Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Takes about five minutes to become accustomed to the dial type; they're not difficult to read.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
The zero function of digitals is nice when using tools like headspace gauges and bullet comparators.
Posted By: mathman Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
You can zero dials.
Please explain for measuring BTO, if I want to record actual measurement to not include length of comparator.
Posted By: mathman Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I was considering the +/- sample to sample.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
My comparators are all 1" long...
That's great, but not all are.
Posted By: denton Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Genuine Mitutoyos are very good. Many of the Mitutoyos from online sources are counterfeit. Buy from a reputable source.
Posted By: Blacktails Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Another vote for Mitutoyo calipers. Mine is 20+ years old and still a very accurate, quality tool. Worth the money imho.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Don't get electronic read out calipers next time.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Poor poor(literally) Beezer,needs a FIRST Fhuqking Clue,before she "graduates" to calipers. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Ask her how the 108's are doing in "her" Krunchenticker. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Mitutoyo, Brown&Sharpe or Starrett. The dial types lets you see your variations in reading easier IMO. Go buy a decent one and then go buy a good four place micrometer for the important stuff.
Posted By: PaintedDesert Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I have three. One is a Starrett and the two others are Frankford Arsenal digital. I use both the starret and the digital, but I use the Starrett more often.
Originally Posted by mathman
I was considering the +/- sample to sample.

You know what I'm talking about when I said guys misread the dials. You called someone out on it a few weeks ago on one of these threads. That is why I'm saying it's easier to make mistakes with them vs. the digital readout models. To each their own, but I like easy. Just sayin..
Posted By: kingston Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
These are my go to. Batteries last forever.

Mitutoyo 500-198-30 Digital Calipers
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I only use Starrett. I don’t like electric . Damn I must be old I measure my comp bullets , base to ogive. The electronics drive me nuts !
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mitutoyo..

This ^^^^^^^^^^^.

They last.................

MM
Posted By: JJF Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
The zero function of digitals is nice when using tools like headspace gauges and bullet comparators.
I totally agree with this. I got tired of subtracting the length of the comparator/headspace gauge, when using a dial caliper.
I just wanted to simplify things. I did get a Mutitoyo from an authorized distributor to avoid counterfeits. I don't regret my decision, though I'll still keep my dial caliper.
Originally Posted by JJF
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I totally agree with this. I got tired of subtracting the length of the comparator/headspace gauge, when using a dial caliper.
I just wanted to simplify things. I did get a Mutitoyo from an authorized distributor to avoid counterfeits. I don't regret my decision, though I'll still keep my dial caliper.

Makes it easy that way... Just sayin..

Posted By: Firecontrolman Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I have a Starette dial caliper that’s been very good to use. I’ve also accumulated 2 digital sets that while accurate have difficulty keeping contact with the battery. I’ll have to remove the battery cover and press in on the battery and they’ll work a while then need it done again. Rarely bother pulling them out anymore. Neither are Starette or Mititoyo but looked well built at the time I bought them.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Mitutoyo is my recommendation. Yes, get the digital. Easier to zero, easier to use for sorting, etc.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I have Starrett dial caliper. Been using it for a lot of years. Don't need batteries
Posted By: TX35W Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I've been using the same pair of Mitutoyos I bought to use in a college machine shop 30 years ago (dial calipers). They're Japanese production and I also have a newer pair which was made in Brazil, which are a little stiffer but measure the same.

The digital Mitutoyos I picked up stopped reading accurately (for inside measurements) after a few years of light use. I only use them for measuring COAL.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Mitutoyo digital or Brown & Sharpe dial. I like to have both styles handy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Another vote for Mitutoyo.

Mine has been going strong for close to 20years now.
Posted By: tskin Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I have a Starette dial caliper that’s been very good to use. I’ve also accumulated 2 digital sets that while accurate have difficulty keeping contact with the battery. I’ll have to remove the battery cover and press in on the battery and they’ll work a while then need it done again. Rarely bother pulling them out anymore. Neither are Starette or Mititoyo but looked well built at the time I bought them.

I had a set do that too. Place a small piece of aluminum foal under the battery. Fixed it for me.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Looking for recommendations on a new set of calipers. After about 5 years my harbor freight digital calipers are acting up on me and giving me some weird readouts. Would like to step up in quality and get a set that I have more confidence in.

Mitutoyo Digimatic. They can be purchased on ebay for ~$65. They're actually less expensive than the Mitutoyo dials, although for some applications I still prefer dial calipers.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I own Mitutoyo and Starrett but I mostly use the Mitutoyo for reloading.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]timages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Nothing digital for me, after using Starrett dial calipers, planer gauges, and micrometers for years at my job.

How often do you guys actually check the calibration of those digital measuring instruments?
Posted By: Nollij Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by Remington280
Nothing digital for me, after using Starrett dial calipers, planer gauges, and micrometers for years at my job.

How often do you guys actually check the calibration of those digital measuring instruments?

I check mine against gage pins, but have not sent a caliper in for calibration any time I can remember.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by Remington280

I have a friend who is the "bearing guy" in the the business he works for. He has gone through Starrett's training and his company has reference blocks for calipers, mics, indicators, etc.

In the past I have brought my calipers and mics over and had him check the accuracy. My Mitutoyo dial and electronic calipers were all within Starrett specs. My two Lymans that I bought in the early 90's were within specs out to 5", my RCBS caliper was within out to 4". My Mitutoyo mic I bought from Martin-Marietta 15+ years ago when they were switching over to electronic is within spec also. I've never checked my tube mic though.......
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
Another vote for Mitutoyo
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I use both Mitutoyo dial and digital. They both have pros and cons. Digital is more convenient for relative measurements. I like the reliability and analog resolution of the dial.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
FWIW the accuracy specs for digital is +-.001 inches in 6 inches and the spec for analogs is +-.0015in. That being said, calipers are not a particularly accurate measuring instrument but measure close enough for most hobby reloading purposes.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Calipers - 01/29/23
I did not spend a pile of money on my Fowler Premium dial caliper ($55) but it has held up through many years of use with zero issues. (And i have dropped it more than once 😲) I also own a few digital calipers and they work fine but the only caliper on my bench is the old school dial Fowler premium ....Good luck ..Hb
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Calipers - 01/30/23
In my job and at home I have numerous dial calipers, a couple Starretts, a couple Mitutoyos. They've been going strong for decades, and yes I dismantle for cleaning and constantly check them against my Jo blocks and pin gauges. No digital stuff here, and when I wish to measure something dead-nuts I use a mic anyway (of which I have multiples too, including a set of Starretts in increments to 12"). A favorite dial caliper I reach for most often though is an old 7" Helios with 3" jaws, which I bought 49 years ago when I first went into industry. Have metrological tools all over the place.

The most accurate calipers though aren't dial or digital. They're simple old vernier calipers, of which I have one of them too. Nothing mechanical to wear out, no electrics to fizzle, but you gotta know how to read them which I doubt one person out of 100,00 in the general population does, and I'll bet maybe one machinist out every 100 working today knows how too. I had to rely on a magnifier to read mine but now that I had my eyes fixed I can get by reading it with just reading glasses. With practice it really isn't much slower than a dial caliper.

Anybody have use for a Starrett 36" vernier height indicator, new in its gun case-sized wooden box? I have a couple excess to my needs.

And also while we're at it, anybody recognize this device? Some kind of protractor or surveying instrument, I think:

Posted By: MikeS Re: Calipers - 01/30/23
That looks like a three arm protractor. They are used for navigation charts .

On a side note I would happily use a a vernier caliper, and have a vernier rear match sight. My close up vision is no longer what it was when I was using survey transits regularly though.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Calipers - 01/30/23
I figured we were talking cartridges.

I have a relative likes to ask what caliper a rifle is chambered in.
Posted By: pullit Re: Calipers - 01/31/23
In a earlier life I was a tool and die maker. Back then dial or vernier were the only two choices you had. In dial type, I have about 4 sets of Starrett, 2 sets of Brown and Sharp and a set of Mitutoyo. I also have a set of 24 inch vernier type.
I do have one or two sets of cheap digital type but don't use them much if ever.
I do see where the digital type would be handy but I have used dial type for so long, it is not a problem for me.
We have a 12" digital type caliper at work and the thing I hate about it is, every time you go to use it, the battery is dead. I may buy a better set of digital calipers than what I have but for now I am happy being old school.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Calipers - 01/31/23
Yeah, the dead battery thing is what kept me away from electronic calipers/mics for a long time. But I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought a couple for zeroing out calipers with attachments.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Calipers - 01/31/23
I remember guys bitching about failed batteries, and maybe that reinforced my analog sensibilities, who knows. But that was way back in another lifetime and I'm wondering what the state of the art in batteries is like now.

Were/are any digital calipers made of carbon steel or were they always all made of stainless? The reason I ask is if one got heavily magnetized would/could it effect the circuitry? (That question occurred to me yesterday as I was working on an apparatus in the lab that contains a monstrously powerful magnet and I was constantly having to wipe magnetically charged steel wool dust off of my old Helios dial calipers.)
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Calipers - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I remember guys bitching about failed batteries, and maybe that reinforced my analog sensibilities, who knows. But that was way back in another lifetime and I'm wondering what the state of the art in batteries is like now.

Were/are any digital calipers made of carbon steel or were they always all made of stainless? The reason I ask is if one got heavily magnetized would/could it effect the circuitry? (That question occurred to me yesterday as I was working on an apparatus in the lab that contains a monstrously powerful magnet and I was constantly having to wipe magnetically charged steel wool dust off of my old Helios dial calipers.)

The type of SS determines the magnetic properties. If the caliper is made out of 304 or 316 stainless then they are non magnetic.

Edited to add the most common battery for digital calipers is the LR44 which you can buy a 100 of for 10 bucks. So not an issue, hell a primer costs you 10 cents now and doesn’t last long under use.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Calipers - 02/04/23
I am a machinist & a bit of a caliper snob. Pricing of upper end calipers has went through the roof in the past 4 years. I do not care to elaborate much more & drive prices up even more on the good stuff. Recently purchased a 6" still in the sealed package, from a private party near-by for the reloading bench. Still payed more than they were selling for 4 years ago.

Like anything if you step up in pricing you generally get more. The only thing more most here, will not need or gain from is the SPC output capability found on the most expensive offerings. I have purchased the less expensive offerings and can say I do notice the difference. Reality is many, may not appreciate the value offered with the upper end offerings. Though if this is a tool you intend using a lot the buy once cry once, guidelines may apply.
© 24hourcampfire