Home
Despite me trying to steer him into getting a 7mm-08 or 308 Tikka T3X my nephew is getting the Superite
T3X in 7mm mag.

Anyway, I never loaded for the 7 mag so was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on where to start as far as some light to moderate loads that still have the potential for good accuracy. Of the powders I have, it looks like IMR 4064, H4350, or maybe even Big Game or Reloader 17 could be used. Willing to buy different powders if I can find it. I don’t have the bullets yet but thinking of using Hornady Interlock 139 grain as they seem to be pretty easy to find and not too expensive.

Leaning towards a load that will give 2800-3000 fps will be good for deer and still not be too bad on recoil

Also, assuming I can pretty much ignore the fact that the case is belted? I’ve never loaded a belted case before.

Thanks,
Mike
I used the data from an older IMR manual. Look at page 49 here. https://archive.org/details/19414482-imr-reloading-manual/page/49/mode/1up?view=theater

Using 44 grains of 4198 with a 120 grain BT to fireform some new brass I found it to be easy to shoot and accurate too. Recoil was light. If I put that barrel back on that will be my preferred load. I'd have confidence using it on elk.

You'll see loads for 4064 and others too. I haven't tried them personally.
Look up making a false shoulder for belted brass.

I don't have much experience with belted brass either, but using the shoulder instead of the belt should extend the life of the brass.
Ignore the belt. Multiple manuals show loads you are looking for.

GreggH
If you're using a garden variety two die set, then ignore the generic set up directions included with most of those dies. Look into sizing the brass just enough for smooth, reliable chambering without shoving the shoulder back too much.
I've prolly killed more deer in my lifetime with 63 gr imr4350 and 150 nosler bt. Nothing fast or fancy but accurate and deadly
Use starting load for both, H-4895 for a extremely reduced load.
Although I do a lot of downloading on cartridges, for the 7 Rem Mag I have found a nice balance for accuracy and recoil reduction is using 3031.

For use on Elk, myself I'd move up to a 139/140 grain or 150 grain bullet...
From Load data

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
From Load data

from load data

from load data

Tell him you bought it, you load for it.

Downloading a 7mm Rem Mag makes zero sense to me.

P
I don’t see big game powder listed for the 7mag.

https://ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf
140s at 3000 is a 270 win.
He should have listened to you on 7-08, 308 or even the creed if he wants mild recoil deer and target.
Probably got sold on the magnum And now he’s going to put on 6-24 vortex viper on?
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
https://www.nosler.com/7mm-remington-magnum
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Yep.................

Dumb move.

MM
Originally Posted by GreggH
Ignore the belt. Multiple manuals show loads you are looking for.

GreggH

This^^^ Guys always wanting to overthink this. Load it like you would anything else. Bump the shoulder .002-.003" and you are good to go and brass life is going to be substantially better, than if you FL size your brass.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Exactly. Let the fugger learn from his own mistakes.
I've recently handloaded three different loads for a Sako 22-250 and it's been a real eye opener. Hot load shoots 2 1/2" high @ 100 for a 300 yard zero. Medium load 1-1/4" high at 100 for a 200 yard zero. Small game load with 5.7 grains of pistol powder and a 40 grain bullet for a 30 yard small game load. I'm reasonably sure the same could be done with a 7 mag.

My question is, why WOULDN'T you do something like this if you could figure it out? There are nothing but advantages. Only brokedick lamebrains that don't think outside the box would criticize versatility.
Sounds like a good idea to me. He could use the rifle with the mild loads and if/when needed use full power loads. I don’t see a downside.
Maybe this will help.
PJ

STAIRSTEP LOADING THE MAGNUMS
From HANDLOADER MAGAZINE #44 July-August 1973---Article by John Wooters

.300 Win. Mag.
Bullet Weight: 30-06 .308 WCF 30-40 Krag 30-30
150 gr. 62.5 gr./4895 60.0 gr./4895 56.0 gr./4064 45.0 gr./4064

180 gr. 57.0 gr./3031 55.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

7MM Rem. Mag.
Bullet Weight: .280 Rem./ .284 WCF/7MM Express 7x57 Mauser
140 gr. 57.0 gr./4320 54.0 gr./4895

160 gr. 52.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

175 gr. 51.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4320

.358 Norma Magnum
Bullet Weight: .350 Rem. mag./.35 Whelen .358 Win.
200 gr. 59.0 gr./4064 53.0/3031

250 gr. 56.0 gr./4895 54.0 gr./3031

.458 Win. Mag.
Bullet Weight: 45/70
400 gr. 42.0 gr./4198
why not download a 7 mag ?

I am going to pass on a 7 mag and a 264 to my grandsons. I expect their dad , who is a reloader , can cook up some moderate loads for the boys to shoot until they are ready for the full power stuff
Why not download a 7mm-08? Probably a a better download choice for kids (I have no experience downloading a 7mm Rem Mag but I do with a 7mm-08).

Full loads from a 7mm-08 kill elk just fine.

P
Originally Posted by thebobcat
I've prolly killed more deer in my lifetime with 63 gr imr4350 and 150 nosler bt. Nothing fast or fancy but accurate and deadly
I’ve used to load quite a bit. Would not call it reduced. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by thebobcat
I’ve used to load quite a bit. Would not call it reduced. Hasbeen

According to Nosler that’s their max load.

Wouldn’t give that to a little kid.

P
I guess I don't get it. Is the idea to load reduced loads your idea or your nephew's? Certainly you can do whatever you'd like. I got my first 7 mag when I was 14, running full power loads since day 1 and don't know why you would start with anything else.

Teach your nephew proper shooting form.

Assure the gun has a quality recoil pad. My 6mm Rem with a steel but plate hurts my shoulder more than my 7 mag with a recoil pad.

Make the hand loads with nothing heavier than 140 grain bullet. The 139 gr Hornady is a great choice for deer. If you were going for Elk, Moose, Bear, then I could understand a higher quality and heavier bullet. But you said he is going to hunt deer. 140 bullet is all he'll ever need.

Get him a military sling and show him how to shoot with it.

Then let him shoot the gun he bought.

Don't insist on fixing a problem that does not exist.

I would spend some time looking for slower burning powder. IMR or H4831SC, RE22, H1000, MagPro. IMR7828. The H4350 is workable, but I would stay away from IMR 4064.
it makes more sense to load a cartridge down, if you don't need a full power load... like practicing off season...

its easier on your equipment, your barrel, your shoulder..

its also easier to load a 7 Rem Mag down.... then try to do the opposite with a 7/08....

cast bullet manuals are your friends and have a lot of loads... and using with Jacketed bullets is no issue at all...

I work a lot with kids... via Boy Scouts, and I've been doing that for years.. decades really...

Last season one boy inherited Grandpa's favorite hunting rifle....a 300 Win mag.. and the kid was 12...

Loaded the case up with a 150 grain Ballistic Tip, and for powder 22 grains of Unique....MV was 2000 fps...

the load is milder than a light load in a 300 Savage, or a 30/40 Krag etc. 30/30 performance, and kicks less....

that way the kid can grow into the rifle...and yeah, he scored his deer last season... 100 to 125 yds...and didn't blow the deer to hell and back..

could accomplished the same thing with a 7/08.. but the boy had a 300 Win Mag instead...22 grains of powder, the recoil was not much to have to handle...

just another perspective...

shot a coyote myself, not that long ago.... at 200 yds...

243, 70 grain TNT, 15 grains of Unique... dropped him on the spot.. just a target of opportunity. recoil light enough, newer lost sight picture of him in the scope after pulling the trigger...

Times like this... economy is your friend... keeps ya shooting a lot longer and more, while others are scrabbling to purchase ammo.. and non of it is cheap....
Been shooting a 7 mm rem mag since I was 15 full throttle loads when I want a lighter load I shoot my 7x57 or 7-08. Unless one is really careful and well organized having multiple power level ammo laying around is setting yourself up for a cluster r f u c k....mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Been shooting a 7 mm rem mag since I was 15 full throttle loads when I want a lighter load I shoot my 7x57 or 7-08. Unless one is really careful and well organized having multiple power level ammo laying around is setting yourself up for a cluster r f u c k....mb

Well said.. and we've both seen some of these guys loading rooms/areas. For fugg sake!!! "Well organized" is not the first thing that comes to my mind!!!
Got a 120TTSX for serious work and a 150GK at 2700 fps for “relaxed” hunting. Both work great and no problem telling them apart😉
Originally Posted by southtexas
Got a 120TTSX for serious work and a 150GK at 2700 fps for “relaxed” hunting. Both work great and no problem telling them apart😉

ST what's your 120 TTSX load? Got a 7 Rem I'd like to work up a load for and don't mind cheating some with others hard work grin
It’s IMR4831. Don’t recall the charge. Will have to look when I get home. Dropped my personal best buck in his tracks last year.
It’s IMR4831. Don’t recall the charge. Will have to look when I get home. Dropped my personal best buck in his tracks last year.

Thanks ST, recall the speed on that load?
Nothing different about loading for a belted case vs non belted...............work off the shoulder as normal.

My only comment is that it's really silly to buy a rifle chambered for long range hunting, then want to use it for short range hunting & loading it down because recoil at full throttle is a problem. But if you only have one gun, I guess you have no choice.............but that's not really a great one-gun choice as the OP pointed out.

You can load it down, to some degree, but 2800-3000 FPS (with what bullet?) really isn't loading it down much.

Faster powders than 4350 of either flavor would likely be the best direction & you'd need to, nominally, get 150's down to 2600 FPS or so, or equivalent with something lighter..............I've loaded '06's & 270's down that low, but not any magnum cases, so whatever you do, good luck.

MM
Why is the common thought process that we have to run guns full throttle, all the time for every situation? Sounds like a great way to sell guns but there's definitely a smarter way to skin that cat.

If I take the 22-250 out in the desert I can hunt jackrabbits around the haystacks with 40 grain bullets and a little dose of pistol powder at 30 or 40 yards for an hour or two, then pick up and walk a few miles kicking them out of the brush and take running shots with 222 power mid range loads, then if I want to call for coyotes, depending on the setup and potential shot distances involved, I can shoot mid or hot loads.

All ammunition is simply marked different colors with a Sharpie and you have a perfect walkabout combination. Same with woods walking. Grouse loads, mid loads for deer at moderate ranges, full loads for cross canyon shooting.

The only trick involved is making them all shoot to some semblance of uniformity. Obviously if one load shoots 3" left of the others, that's going to be problematic remembering. But up and down variations can actually work in your favor for different ranges.

I can understand the "If you own a Ferrari, drive 150 mph" argument, but even Ferraris have a gas pedal so you can control how fast you go, right? LOL
Originally Posted by Bugger
from load data

Boy that's cool right there. Wish I had some of that powder to play with.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Thanks ST, recall the speed on that load?

A little over 3200, IIRC. Plenty for my use
© 24hourcampfire