Home
Posted By: Remington725 Sizing new brass - 04/29/23
I pulled out a box of Nosler brass I’ve had on hand for a few years. Given that it’s touted as weight sorted and fully prepped I was hopeful I could open the box and go straight to priming. No such luck. Several were noticeably out round at the mouth like the one pictured. My first time using out-of-the box Nosler brass.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Sizing new brass - 04/30/23
Neck size it
Posted By: BertaBoy Re: Sizing new brass - 04/30/23
I’m a big fan of nosler brass. Very consistent brass. I had a few with bent necks in my lot. I just used a bullet backwards to try and get it back to close. I like to fire form all my brass so wasn’t going for accurate. I’ve found that I found pressure about 1 full grain sooner than with my federal of win brass. After a few firings more like .5 grain less in nosler brass. Good luck
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Sizing new brass - 04/30/23
Sometimes even the good stuff gets bent.

I just run them in the die to clean up the necks then load.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Sizing new brass - 04/30/23
I always run new brass thru the neck sizer. It is just another step towards making good reloads.
Posted By: Gunaddict Re: Sizing new brass - 04/30/23
^^^^^^
Posted By: Hudge Re: Sizing new brass - 05/01/23
I run all new brass though my expander mandrel and it takes care of the sings 99.9% of the time.
Posted By: hanco Re: Sizing new brass - 05/01/23
Yep neck size it
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Sizing new brass - 05/01/23
Round out necks and dont touch shoulders
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Sizing new brass - 05/01/23
I had some new Nosler brass that was supposely prepped and ready to load.It wouldn't even chamber in my rifle.I ended up full length resizing the brass and it chambered fine after that.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Sizing new brass - 05/01/23
Run it through an expander mandrel. No reason to neck size.
Posted By: lightman Re: Sizing new brass - 05/01/23
I resize all new brass. The die seldom touches the shoulder but sizing uniforms the case neck and straightens out any dings and dents.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Sizing new brass - 05/02/23
I'd seat a bullet and go shoot.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Sizing new brass - 05/02/23
I use Lee Collet dies on new brass. Even range brass gets the same but do check function before loading.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Sizing new brass - 05/02/23
Just loaded up some Peterson .260 Rem brass. Didn't do a darn thing but seat bullets. Of course, it comes in plastic box with foam padding to keep things from rattling around. The ones I checked had 0.001" neck runout and all produced 0.004" neck tension.

If you buy new brass in a plastic bag, then you get some extra work.
© 24hourcampfire