Home
Posted By: djb handload vs reload - 08/21/23
Picking nits here, but does anyone else get annoyed by the term 'reload'. I handload 95% of the centerfire ammo I shoot. Yes the brass gets reused, but referring to my ammo as reloads always gives me the feeling people view them along the same lines of recycled or reclaimed.
Posted By: anothergun Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
plinking is reloading. Handloading is more along the lines as, what I call, precision loading.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
Originally Posted by djb
Picking nits here, but does anyone else get annoyed by the term 'reload'. I handload 95% of the centerfire ammo I shoot. Yes the brass gets reused, but referring to my ammo as reloads always gives me the feeling people view them along the same lines of recycled or reclaimed.

All in how you look at it.

reload

transitive verb

To load again, as a gun.

verb

To load (something) again.

To refresh a copy of a program in memory or of a web page on screen.

handload

[ verb hand-lohd; noun hand-lohd ]SHOW IPA

verb (used with object)

to load (cartridges or other ammunition) by hand.

verb (used without object)

to load ammunition by hand.

noun

a cartridge or other ammunition designed to be loaded by hand.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
I don't really care what you call it. We all know what guys are talking about when they are brought up. If it annoys you, you get upset too easy.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
If reloading is reusing the brass to make new shells what does ridiculous mean?
I'm confused...
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
LOL, spend more time doing whichever you call it and less time hair splitting, or splitting hairs…whichever you prefer. I never worried what I called it, or what someone else calls it. I’ve used both and never differentiated them in my mind. I just know it saves me money, and gives me satisfaction and pride in crafting my own ammo. I’m sure it’s absolutely deplorable either way. 😎

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: mathman Re: handload vs reload - 08/21/23
Reloading or handloading, whichever, as long as you're not asking "what grain bullet heads" to use. grin
Posted By: navlav8r Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Oh man, I’m in deep dooo dooo! I’ve been known to call a1911’s magazine a “clip”. 😳
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Oh man, I’m in deep dooo dooo! I’ve been known to call a1911’s magazine a “clip”. 😳

🙈🙈🙈
Posted By: anothergun Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by mathman
Reloading or handloading, whichever, as long as you're not asking "what grain bullet heads" to use. grin

When l call a gunshop near me l have to specify reloading bullets, not just bullets, other wise they assume factory ammunition. 🙄
Posted By: roverboy Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
I usually say handloading, and bullet head is a strange term. I just say bullet.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
If it’s new brass, you’re handloading. If it’s old brass, you’re hand reloading.
Posted By: mathman Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by roverboy
I usually say handloading, and bullet head is a strange term. I just say bullet.

I've seen "bullet heads" used on this very site.
Posted By: devnull Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Makes no difference to me. I call it match ammo :-)
Posted By: mathman Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
All of mine are match ammo. They match the rifle they go into. grin
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by cra1948
If it’s new brass, you’re handloading. If it’s old brass, you’re hand reloading.

Now that’s splitting hairs. 😁
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
I have to admit, "reloading" annoys me too. I am "handloading" to a positively silly degree of obsession.
And I have a fairly thick skin.

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: duke61 Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
I reload spent brass, I sometimes handload each piece of brass individually, weigh the powder charge, weigh each bullets and so on, other times the machine drops the powder not me so that is not really complete handloading, regardless it doesn't bother me which one people use. I believe Elmer Keith called it reloading and that is good enough for me.
Originally Posted by roverboy

I've seen "bullet heads" used on this very site.

Yeah, I've seen "head" used as a term for bullet. It seems mostly prevalent when you hear big-city cops trying to talk about guns like they know something about them. Same with the term "bullet casing" which I saw just last night in a news article about a shooting. Goes right along with the oft seen example of leftist political cartoonists showing a whole dame cartridge flying out of a gun instead of just the bullet.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Cartridge / caliber; concrete / cement; handload / reload . . . . I gave up worrying about this here on the 'Fire a loooooong time ago
Posted By: Goomba777 Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
WOW !!!!! Really ????
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't really care what you call it. We all know what guys are talking about when they are brought up. If it annoys you, you get upset too easy.

Exactly. Like the ones that get their panties in a wad when someone says "caliber" instead of "cartridge" or "chambering".

I admit I still can't stand "run" and "weapon system".
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Exactly. Like the ones that get their panties in a wad when someone says "caliber" instead of "cartridge" or "chambering".

What about "clip" and "magazine"?
Posted By: lastround Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Somebody worries way too much!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by NVhntr
6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Yes, tit for tat.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: handload vs reload - 08/22/23
Just tit. No tats for me….
Posted By: JamesJr Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Just tit. No tats for me….

I agree
Posted By: memtb Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
Can’t say I’m annoyed …..but do prefer handload over reload!

To my way of thinking…….reload would mean following book recipes, where handload would suggest that the loader does experimentation with charge volumes or powders not listed in the book! memtb
Posted By: Trystan Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
I generally put a fire igniter in the the back of the boom stick container, fill it with explosion material and stuff a rpm penetrator in the end!

It has been working for me
Posted By: Bomberodevil Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
It doesn’t bother me when others say one or the other term, but in my mind, I reload pistol rounds and I hand load my precision rifle hunting rounds. It’s like a 16-step process, fairly meticulous. Just semantics, but that’s how I differentiate between the two.
Posted By: Gibby Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
This thread should of been titled ......

...wait for it

"reload vs handload"

by OCD
Posted By: Flashdog Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
I’ve never heard of a New York handload.

Oh, and as the day warms up the ladies start taking off their jackets and you can see their tits and tats.
Posted By: MikeS Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
Finicky bunch, what next... accuracy vs. precision?? grin
Posted By: zcm82 Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
I use both interchangably, but I'm generally not one to get hung up on semantics or minutae.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
By denotation, they mean the same to me. The two terms are about making fresh ammo. By connotation, I think reload is more about making generic loads, and handload is to develop precision loads. Just my take on it.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
The History Of Reloading

Last Updated on Sat, 05 Aug 2023

Reloading is approximately synonymous with handloading. The distinction lies in whether or not the cartridge case has been loaded and fired previously. If it has been, subsequent loadings are reloads. If the load is put up in virgin brass, that's handloading.
Posted By: hanco Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
Either one is fine. I usually say reload.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: handload vs reload - 08/23/23
Some people worry overmuch about nothing. Use the term you prefer and forget about it.
PJ
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: handload vs reload - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by djb

I try to be precise, so use the terms in their proper places. I’ve owned (and own) guns that were purchased new, and never saw a single factory round, but were fed handloads with new brass, then the reloaded cases from those. Some also never get new brass of their own, since I have so much from previous rifles for the same cartridge. There appears to be no new brass available at all at present for the 5.7x28, so all the ones I load for that are reloads.

I also try very hard not to worry about how others view pretty much anything I do, except for the War Department of course.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: handload vs reload - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

What about "clip" and "magazine"?

Even the manufacturers have struggled with that one...

[Linked Image from fullaventurashop.com]
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: handload vs reload - 08/24/23
Same chit, different azz-holes
Posted By: pete53 Re: handload vs reload - 08/24/23

that`s what i always say too
Posted By: flintlocke Re: handload vs reload - 08/24/23
Now wait a minute...think about the possibilities here...a whole new millennialspeak nomenclature. "Bullet heads", now they can define them easily by 'pointy heads' (spitzers in oldspeak), boatheads, round heads, half flat heads, totally flat heads. Why stop there? We can redefine primers as bullet tails, being on the tail end. Powder could be 'bangdust'. But surely it stops there...the 'brass thingy' just doesn't roll off the tongue.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: handload vs reload - 08/24/23
🤣

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/bullet-heads/

https://www.riflemanfirearms.com/reloading/bullet-heads/c43

Fugging Brits.
© 24hourcampfire