Home
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Starline Brass ? - 09/05/23
I'm asking if anyone has done the neck thickness and weight variations on 270 brass ? I know Hornady is good, but it's on back order. It's for necking down to 6.5-06.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
well, not 270, but I bought 100 .243 Win Starline cases. Weight variation for the 100 cases. 173.5 - 174.5gr. No complainants here.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
I've bought Starline in:

.45-70
.45-90
.45-100
.260 Rem

No complaints. The .260Rem was very consistent.
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
That is an excellent weight variation. That bodes well for neck thickness variation. I always check a sample of case weights for no other reason then to see which brands can interchange.

John Barsness in his Gun Gack series makes a point of the effect of neck thickness on accuracy. It made sense to me, so I bought a tubing mic. It measures tube wall thickness down to 1/10 of a thou. Just a Chinese made house brand of KBC Tool, machine shop supplier. If Shars has them, they have inexpensive machine tools. I've used micrometers for 45 years, no complaints with this one. But I warn you, using one thou as reject point, I ended up tossing brass and splurging on the good stuff.
Posted By: mathman Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
I tried Starline in 308 and 243 Winchester. Neither batch was very good for neck wall uniformity. That was in 2017, maybe they've cleaned up their act since then.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by 308ld
well, not 270, but I bought 100 .243 Win Starline cases. Weight variation for the 100 cases. 173.5 - 174.5gr. No complainants here.

I have some Starline 243 brass, and it has worked well.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
That is an excellent weight variation. That bodes well for neck thickness variation. I always check a sample of case weights for no other reason then to see which brands can interchange.

John Barsness in his Gun Gack series makes a point of the effect of neck thickness on accuracy. It made sense to me, so I bought a tubing mic. It measures tube wall thickness down to 1/10 of a thou. Just a Chinese made house brand of KBC Tool, machine shop supplier. If Shars has them, they have inexpensive machine tools. I've used micrometers for 45 years, no complaints with this one. But I warn you, using one thou as reject point, I ended up tossing brass and splurging on the good stuff.

You must shoot some awfully small groups to be throwing away brass that falls out of a .001" tolerance range. Do those throw the concentricity out that much to really have a meaningful affect on accuracy? You shoot benchrest competition?
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Maybe I don't, that's why the interest . chuckle.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Regardless of maker, all of my brass necks gets reamed, turned, and length trimmed after its first firing.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by 1minute
Regardless of maker, all of my brass necks gets reamed, turned, and length trimmed after its first firing.

IDOD?
Posted By: anothergun Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by mathman
I tried Starline in 308 and 243 Winchester. Neither batch was very good for neck wall uniformity. That was in 2017, maybe they've cleaned up their act since then.

My Lee Collet die fixes that ! I anneal first though.
Posted By: mathman Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by anothergun

Your collet die can't fix what I'm talking about which is neck walls almost two thou thicker on one side compared to the other.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23

Your collet die can't fix what I'm talking about which is neck walls almost two thou thicker on one side compared to the other.

Maybe he reamed one side a little more than the other (wink). Some guys just don't get concentricity mathman. No clue.
Posted By: anothergun Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/07/23

wow, that thick? ok LOL
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by 308ld

I bought 100 pcs of Starline 6.5 Creed brass a couple of months ago. It wasn’t quite this tight, but still very good weight consistency.
Posted By: mathman Re: Starline Brass ? - 09/08/23
How are the necks?
Posted By: Stewdo Re: Starline Brass ? - 11/05/23
Just loaded some new *line brass in 7mm-08....everything hunky-dory,copacetic, peachy keen and up to snuff! Not into benchrest competition or subMoas...just meat on the table and the star line brass work just fine IMO. You would think after 50+ years of reloading it would get old but still at it for the kiddies and grand kiddies.I still load one at a time but as high as everything has gotten,can’t afford to do much plinking anymore.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Starline Brass ? - 11/05/23
I use it a lot and like it
Posted By: JJF Re: Starline Brass ? - 11/06/23
Originally Posted by Stewdo
Just loaded some new *line brass in 7mm-08....everything hunky-dory,copacetic, peachy keen and up to snuff! Not into benchrest competition or subMoas...just meat on the table and the star line brass work just fine IMO. You would think after 50+ years of reloading it would get old but still at it for the kiddies and grand kiddies.I still load one at a time but as high as everything has gotten,can’t afford to do much plinking anymore.

+1. I use Starline brass exclusively in my 444 Marlin and 270 Win rifles. No complaints and accuracy is very good at 100 yards. However, like Stewdo, I only reload for hunting and the longest shot available is around 300 yards but to-date all of my deer and hogs have been taken within 100 yards.
Posted By: Futura Re: Starline Brass ? - 11/07/23
The Sig brass is reportedly good stuff
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Starline Brass ? - 11/07/23
i use 44 Special, 44 mag, 500 Linebaugh and 30-30 Starline cases. the 30-30 are used in 35/30-30, 30 and 357 Herrett. i should buy 444 Marlin cases, but i already have a lifetime supply. i should 30 Carbine brass.
© 24hourcampfire