Home
Going to load some .300 Savage rounds using the following:

Brass: Win Super (New)
Primers: CCI250 Large Rifle Primers (Magnum - only ones available)
Bullet: Hornady 150gr SST Boat Tail (.308 diameter)
Powder: RamShot 'Big Game'

I need to know a powder weight for the above. RamShot publishes data for .30-30, .308, .30-06, .300 Win Short Magnum, Rem Short Action Ultra, Winchester Magnum, Weatherby Magnum, Rem Ultra Mag, 30-378 Weatherby Magnum and 303 British. I can not find any data for the 300 Savage using Big Game. As the .308 is a slightly larger case, can I use that data reducing my powder charge by 2% or keep the same data? If not advisable, what charge weight sould I use.

Any ideas?

Thanks
According to the Speer #14 manual operating pressures for the .300 Savage are held to 46,000CUP verses 52,000CUP for the .308 so I definitely WOULD NOT use .308 data.

We are kind of on our own until more data is available for Big Game but the following may be of help.

I tried 40 grs. Big Game behing the 165 gr. Hornady SP for 2267fps and mild pressures. I plan to increase the charge till I reach a velocity of about 2500fps.

With the 150gr. SST I believe you could start with 41 grs. Big Game and work up to about 2600fps. But that is just a guide and you are on your own. Be careful!
KyWindageII: Thanks for the input.

I spoke with ballistics support at RamShot this morning. They recommend to start at 42gr and increase by 2% until the max of 46gr is reached.

So in this case, I think that I will start at 42 (slightly higher than the 41 you recommended) and work up from there.

42gr + 2% =
42.84gr + 4% of 42 =
43.68gr + 6% of 42 =
44.52gr + 8% of 42 =
45.36gr

(I prefer to use the above method in increasing powder charge weight as it leads to a slightly lesser powder charge than the standard mathamatical computation)

I'll see where I get with these charges and my chrony.

Caveat: This is TESTING load data for this load:

Brass: Win Super (New)
Primers: CCI250 Large Rifle Primers
Bullet: Hornady 150gr SST Boat Tail (Interlock) (.308 diameter)
Powder: RamShot 'Big Game'

DO NOT USE THIS DATA unless you know what you are doing and can take full responsibility for using these computations. I will not be held responsible for any results (good or bad) that occur in the usage of this load data. Use at your own risk (life and limb).
© 24hourcampfire