Home
With the price of reloading components increasing in price at an alarming rate, Im considering going from buying my rifle powders from 1 to 8 pound containers.Seems the 8lb is the way to go price wise..what does the group do...1 or 8 lb??
144 pounds at a time....

[Linked Image]
For types I use often it's the eight pounders.
LMFAO, I buy some in the 8s and most in the 1-2lbs. Just depends on what rifle it is for. My 243s I shoot a chitload of H380 and Varget. HAPPY HUNTING
I buy by the pound till i figure out if it is something I want to keep plenty on hand. Les
He may buy powder in smaller quantities but from the sounds of it he needs to buy reloading presses by the gross.
I was in Scheels a while back, I priced out an eight pound container of H4340, and one pound containers. I found that I could get 9 one pound containers for about the price of one eight pounder, go figure.
usually buy H4895 in the 8lb jugs.
Originally Posted by montanabadger
I was in Scheels a while back, I priced out an eight pound container of H4340, and one pound containers. I found that I could get 9 one pound containers for about the price of one eight pounder, go figure.

I would be paying over $200 for 8lbs if I bought it local from Huntingtons. Instead I pay $120 or so for 8lbs from Powder Valley. I usually get H335 and Varget plus a few lbs of various.
Originally Posted by Sassy
He may buy powder in smaller quantities but from the sounds of it he needs to buy reloading presses by the gross.

I don't care who you are, Les--that was funny laugh

Casey
Originally Posted by Higbean

I would be paying over $200 for 8lbs if I bought it local from Huntingtons. Instead I pay $120 or so for 8lbs from Powder Valley. I usually get H335 and Varget plus a few lbs of various.
So how much is shipping?
Varget in 8# all others in 1#.

Dave
1 pound for powders I don't use much of, 5-8 pounds for those I use a lot.
typically by 5s or 8s. I try to keep 2 years supply on hand.
Originally Posted by Higbean

So how much is shipping?

Shipping has a $20 Hazmat fee on top of it, but ordering larger quantitees and talking friends into ordering disperses it out. When all is said and done I will still be under $125 for 8lbs of powder. That comes to $15.63 a pound. The best price I have seen around here is $21 and they are always out of it.
mostly 1s... and one type in 8s
Loading for more and more friends I'm leaning more and more towards eights. I'm also ordering quantities from Powder Valley, Bruno and Lock, Stock and barrel.
Ken,

When I buy powder (mostly from Black Hills Shooter Supply or at gun shows) it depends on what the powder is. Some powders (most often those with slower burning rates and some ball types) tend to display more variation in burning rate from lot to lot than others, and with these I like 5 or 8 pounds so I don't have to adjust loads as often to compensate for this difference. If the powder is one that I have found not to have this kind of variation, then I am happy to buy 1 pounders.

M. Bell
Almost alway buy 5 or 8 pounders unless it is a new powder for load development.
SteelHead,
You are my hero! laugh
I buy H-380, H-414, and IMR4831 in 8's. I have a 20lb keg of H870 that was given to me. If only I could find something to shoot it in.

CK
one pounders for the powders I don't use often enough.. and 8 pounders on the ones I use a lot of ...

Steelhead...
I for one definitely admire your style!!!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
144 pounds at a time....

[Linked Image]

That boy is "Red Neck"!!

GB
© 24hourcampfire