Home
I took several load combinations to the range today to test in my Remington 700 in 300 win mag. I tried some 165gr Scirocos, 150gr NPTs, 180gr TSX, an some factory 200gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Everything grouped at least 2 inches, but the TBBC factory loads grouped into a 1/2 MOA...which put my hanloads to shame. I'm wondering if my rifle just likes the 200gr bullets better or if it just likes the 200 gr TBBCs. Anyone notice their 300 win mag liking the heavier 200 gr bullets?

Never shot any that heavy. Mine likes everything I've fed it so far. Best groups so far have been with TSX 168's and RL22. After that, 180 Hornady Interlock BTSP's and IMR4350. I did try some 190 Hornady BTSP's, but they were only so-so. Those TBBC bullets are expensive in Canada.
Since the handloads of all bullet weights all did poorly compared to the factory loads,it might not be the bullet weight at all.It might have something to do with your loading methods.I would pull a few of the 200gr bullets from the factory loads,and load them into your resized brass,using your normal powder and primers.If they shoot as well as the factory loads,the bullet is the critical factor.If not,you need to check out the other things.
I shot some Federal factory TBBC's today... Dads 22-250 but 5 shots into about 6 inches!
There were a few Posts here from guys who swore by 200gr Partitions over 180s, but can't finD it now.
I have a 300 Weatherby but my experience tells me 200 Gr Accu-bonds will give you reason to kick those others to the curb.
I like the 200 Part and 200 Sierra Spt BT Game KIng. I have used 180's and 150's but have always liked the 200's better and the gun has always been partial too.

For me 180's belong in the '06 and the 150's and 165's in the 308; but that's just me (grins).

The stuff I've seen shot with the 200 Part. is akin to whacking stuff with a 250 / 338; 'bout the same. Not a bad thing.
300Win-you can count me in as one of the guys who uses 200's in 300's. Mainly cause I've yet to see a 300 yet that would shoot better with the 180's.

So, I use what's accurate in them as I want all the accuracy I can get. Note, this is not to say that the 180's didn't shoot fast enough.

I feel that most stay away from working with the 200's cause they want the extra speed that the 180 has (although in the real world it aint' enough to sweat) and secondly they don't want the extra bump that the 200's come with.

Back when I had a Krieger in 300 on my old 700 I shot a lot of chucks and other critters at fair ranges with both the 200 Sierra and the Nozler.

Were I to be using one of the 300's today no doubt I'd be for giving the 200's a serious run first and formost.

Dober
200's have become my go to bullet in my 300 wsm for the reasons Dober mentioned.

No, it's just not you. Both of my hunting buddies are shooting 200-grain bullets in their 300 win mag's. They both reload their own ammunition and both get really good accuracy (one is shooting 200-grain Accubond's, the other 200-grain Barnes TSX).
Okay what are the 200gr bullets available in 30 caliber? I really am not inclineD to buy a bunch of TBBCs even though they have been very accurate so far.

So there's the NPTs, AccubonDs, Barnes TSX....any others?

I have a bunch of 180 gr NPTs that I may offer to anyone with some 200gr NPTs....
The good ol' 200 gr Sierra SPBT Gameking is actually one heck of a bullet. I've seen some great results with that bullet from a .300 Win mag, with heavy charges of slow-burning powder.

I'm impressed and surprised that you got such good accuracy from the Trophy Bonded bullets. The only time I tried them, their accuracy was very disappointing.
I found that the 200gr. NP shot better than any other 200gr. bullet I tried and better than any 180 I tested in my 300RUM and that was more than just a few.

The NP's may not be as fashionable these days, but I've knocked the stuffin' out of a bunch of bulls since using these 200gr. NP's.

Due to case capacity, coupled with my choice of powder, I do use 180gr. bullets in my 300WSM as opposed to the 200 grainers.

Good luck....

My 300wm really liked the Federal premium 200gr,TBBC usally 3 touchin at 100yds was the norm, I just got tired of paying a Premium price for them!
The problem, if you want to call it that, with 200 gr. bullets in the 300 Win Mag is they take up too much powder space as you have to seat that long bullet quite a bit below the shoulder junction on most rifles, and you lose velocity by doing so..I shoot the 180s in my 300 Win. Mag. and 200s in my 30-06 and 300 H&H, both haveing longer necks than the short necked 300 W.M.

That said, the velocity you lose may not be a concern to you and I doubt that it makes as much difference as some claim...What I do know is the 200 gr. Noslers in any 300 magnum rifle seem to kill better than any other bullet I have used..If you only have the one 300 and its a Win Mag, then I would load them up with 200 gr. Noslers and shoot about anything that walks.
200 gr partitions penetrate forever... wink
I had a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag that loved 200 grain bullets. The only two bullets it would reliably shoot less than an inch were the Barnes 200 grain TSX in my handloads and the Swift A-Frame 200 grain in Remington Premium Safari Grade Factory Ammo. Not quite sure why except the throat was cut very deep on that rifle from the factory and bullets loaded to a maximum overall length were limited by the magazine. With the longer shank on the 200 grain bullets, perhaps it helped keep the bullet aligned as it met the lands. Just a guess.
Anyway, good luck!
Elk
Originally Posted by Laughing_Elk
I had a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag that loved 200 grain bullets. The only two bullets it would reliably shoot less than an inch were the Barnes 200 grain TSX in my handloads and the Swift A-Frame 200 grain in Remington Premium Safari Grade Factory Ammo. Not quite sure why except the throat was cut very deep on that rifle from the factory and bullets loaded to a maximum overall length were limited by the magazine. With the longer shank on the 200 grain bullets, perhaps it helped keep the bullet aligned as it met the lands. Just a guess.
Anyway, good luck!
Elk

LE:It's a very good guess.The M70 Classics I have messed with all had a long throat and, of course,30/06 -length magazine, limiting OAL. I think it is true that the 180-200 gr bullets shoot better in many M70's than the lighter bullets do because of that.Anyway, that has been my experience as well.

I'll let you know because I'll be shooting one in 300 win mag today with 165's.We'll see.
My only 300 WM really likes 200-gn bullets. It seems like a good match for the cartridge. That 2900 fps area, with a nice long bullet, is a good place to be- IMHO.
Good load, Jeff.
LE:It's a very good guess.The M70 Classics I have messed with all had a long throat and, of course,30/06 -length magazine, limiting OAL. I think it is true that the 180-200 gr bullets shoot better in many M70's than the lighter bullets do because of that.Anyway, that has been my experience as well.

I'll let you know because I'll be shooting one in 300 win mag today with 165's.We'll see.

Bob, on my model 70's in 300 win mag and 338 win mag I have removed the magazine spacer. Feeding is excellant and depending on how your chamber is cut reaching the lands is doable.

As for the comment about 200 gr bullets eating up too much capacity in a 300 win mag. Sounds like alot of BS IME. My win mag shoots 200 gr Accubonds to 3000fps using a Lapua brass, GM215 and Retumbo. Brass life is excellent. And the AB is a very long bullet.
Its a shame Lapua discontinued the 300 win mag brass as it was tops.
I would imagine thats a pretty compressed load?
I switched from RL-22 to RL-25 for 200 grainers. Yes, these loads are compressed, NBD.

There are a lot of 223 loads used in matches that are a lot more compressed than even the shortest 300 Winny O.A.L., throw the 308 in there too.

My Sucks just happens to have the mag length and throat to get'em out there; a buddy's 70 won't go that far but I never noticed the speed suffering.
I actually had an awesome load worked up with 165NBT and RL25 never had a desire to hunt with it but was fun to punch paper!
Its been a hell of a good powder for me so far, as I've been dinking with it this summer.

Its worked damnfine in the 416 Rigby, the 338 Winny too, where its even more compressed grin
I would imagine thats a pretty compressed load?

Its a slightly compressed load.
I know this powder should be too slow, but it works great and I get very low ES, consistently great accuracy and seems to be pretty temp stable.
I may have to give it another go with the 180 and 200's!
Bwalker: Thanks for that suggestion. I used to buy the parts to lengthen the magazine to H&H length from Winchester;box, follower,ejctor,etc. Worked swell.

I am going to run 180's in the rifle anyway so I think it will work fine.Most likely due to their length,the 180's to 200's seem to jump that throat and stay lined up better than the lighter bullets. Who knows? grin
Bob, when I have done it I sued the teflon coated 7mmstw follower and the factory box. I drilled the spot welds out, removed the spacer , then tig welded the back seem of the box together.
Originally I purchased a new box, but after trying several different boxes and followers I came to the conclusion this combo worked best.
Winchesters parts list doesn't explain which gun each part is for so it takes allot of trial and error buying follower and boxes to find a combo that works right.
Thought I would share this load with you. This was my go to load on the 300 Win.

Winchester Brass, Fed 215M Match Primer, 200 Gr. Barnes Triple Shock bullet, 71 grains of Reloader 22, OACL=3.383

The load was quite consistent. Groups were always under an inch and as low as .5" depending upon conditions. Because of the limitation of the box, I used an overall cartridge length based upon cartridge base to bullet tip rather than measuring off the ogive.

Regardless, good luck!
Elk
B: I asked the lady at customer service to just give me follower and box,etc for the 375H&H;always worked well.This one I just picked up(NIB stainless synthetic,price too good to pass)may go away for full treatment,ie new stock and true up the metal,etc.

Wonder if Brownell has the parts I need for the magazine?
Bob, I tried that rought, but the 375 box they sent had a stepped side unlike the factory box for a win mag. To work properly this stepped box has to have a action with a smaller feed rail area/action opening.
Another vote for the 200 grain sierra gamekings. They provided great accuracy and bc in my 300.
Originally Posted by 30338
Another vote for the 200 grain sierra gamekings. They provided great accuracy and bc in my 300.

And boy, did I ever find that they pounded heck out of game big and small!

Dober
Mark,

What have you shot with them?

I have always put the Partitions to use, always choosing the Sierra's for the target work.

I appreciate your input.

Nate
Nate,

Lets just say it runs from rockchucks to elk and lot of stuff in between. I have no issues with the slug after doing the work with them and actually really kind of like it.

Dober
Thanks Mark!

They always shot oustanding and I can trade them in my rifle with Partitions without POI worries; used them to 400 on the range.

Nice to have its game performance substantiated grin
The bigger gamekings I have shot seem quite hard and I actually have not recovered one in any deer shot with them. Never shot an elk with one.
I bought all the Federal High Energy ammo I could find with the 200gr Partition at a advertised 2930fps. This load shoots under an inch at 300 yards in my Steyr. Took lots of Game in SA too. I'm anxious about the time when i run out of federal ammo. But I suspect that the 200 Accubond will fill the bill with some H1000 or 7828SSC.
© 24hourcampfire