Home
Posted By: x2mosg 264 Win Mag/Scirroco II 130gr. - 12/05/08
Who's loading this combo? I know of one, looking for others. Accubond as well. These high B.C.'s are impressive. Amazing how much down range velocity and energy they retain and how little drift.

David
Hi David,

I haven't tried the Scirroco II but the 130gr Accubond with about 68.0gr of Ramshot Magnum is powerful medicine in my 264.

cheers,
joe
Hodgdon shows 67.5 gr of Retumbo with a 129 gr Hornady for 3171 fps I used 62 gr of Retumbo powder for my load which clocked 3205 fps from my gun, so make sure you start low when use the Scirocco or your pressures will go through the roof. You might want to check out Hodgdon's new data for the 264 Win Mag, Win 780 and Retumbo seem to be the best of the powders they list. It really is amazing the long range potential of this load. I just need some nicer weather and I will try it at 300 - 400 yards (I only had a chance so far to shoot it at 200).
I load the 130 Accubond and have used Retumbo but RL-25 is more accurate in my rifle. I have been told you can not find a powder that is too slow for the 264. I do not know if that is true. I am working with US-869, 75 grains only got me a little over 3000 fps with a 129 grain SST, I will try some more when I have some time.

8mmwapiti
Thanks for the information. Keep it coming. The high B.C. on these 2 bullets makes them really interesting. I'm just looking ahead. I picked up the rifle to build on yesterday, so I'm still at least 6 months out.
Anybody ever done any actual field testing of the Scirroco II to validate it's BC. Maybe just the cynic in me, but it seems awfully high compared to the Accubond. Just wondering if it's really that much better.
Here's a pic of the 130 Scirocco in a nice new Nosler case. It looks sleeker then the Accubond but I have only seen them in pictures though.

[Linked Image]
Here's a pic of the 130 Accubond, 130 Berger VLD, and the 130 Scirocco II. The ogive difference is apparent. Have tried each in a 6.5 WSM. Best powders have been the Ramshot Magnum and H1000 for my rifle. Case capacity of the 6.5 WSM is about 7% less than the 264 WM when I measured.

[Linked Image]
I use 4831sc and 129 Hornady SST'S in mine and they smack the hell out of deer,hogs and varmints.
Southtexas:Have not used the 6.5 130 but am shooting the 7mm 150 S'co II. I would not know how to test for BC other than to say the 150 S'co shows very flat trajectory PAST 400 yards and shows a lot less drop than the 160 Partition.Velocities are 3225 for the 150,and 3100 for the 160,which could account for some difference, but I have shot the S'co started at 3100 also, and it maintains it's edge in trajectory.
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Here's a pic of the 130 Scirocco in a nice new Nosler case. It looks sleeker then the Accubond but I have only seen them in pictures though.

[Linked Image]

Is it just me, or is that a fine looking round right there? grin

And, Gerry, due to your location, you should fill us all in next spring on how the bullet does on a nice spring black bear. `Eh? grin
Originally Posted by bearstalker

And, Gerry, due to your location, you should fill us all in next spring on how the bullet does on a nice spring black bear. `Eh? grin

I know what you mean bearstalker it sure looks purdey. grin I go hunting for Blackies every spring, May is a wonderful time to be out. Given the chance I'll give those Scirocco's a rough trip through a bear and see if I can recover a bullet.

Thanks for posting the pics of the 3 bullets Redrabbit.
Maybe by the time your rifle is completed Hornady will have thier 129 grain Interbond out. Just to make to choice a little harder. And by then they may announce a GMX as well????????

8mmwapiti
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Originally Posted by bearstalker

I know what you mean bearstalker it sure looks purdey. grin I go hunting for Blackies every spring, May is a wonderful time to be out. Given the chance I'll give those Scirocco's a rough trip through a bear and see if I can recover a bullet.

Thanks for posting the pics of the 3 bullets Redrabbit.

Sweet! I'll be looking forward to the report. I love spring time and spring bear hunting. I can't wait.
Originally Posted by crittergetter
I use 4831sc and 129 Hornady SST'S in mine and they smack the hell out of deer,hogs and varmints.
I load that bullet in my 6.5-06AI, but haven't used 4831sc. Have you compared it against Reloder 22?
Sweet!!! Cool pics of the bullets and the loaded round. I just picked up some new Winchester brass and a box of 129 SST's last night for chitz n giggles. Gonna send a dummy to Lee for a crimp die. I know it's probably not necessary, but I've been crimping everything for the last couple years and getting good consistency with my loads. Crimp dies aren't that expensive and I hate using the seating die to crimp. Real easy and only takes a couple minutes to crimp 20 rounds.

David
ive found my .264 to be finicky, im not sure why, but i have tried 120gr tsx 130gr accubonds and also 140gr sgk's i have tried many powders with all these bullets as well, 7828 r-19 r-22 h-1000 imr4831 imr 4350 and i got a so so result with a load of h-1000 and the 140gr sgk, but im not sure why i cant get a better group out of this rifle,1" group at a 100yds doesnt seem very good to me, and thats with a m700cdlsf, you guys got any ideas for me?
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/su35/IMG_0216.jpg[/img][/img]
whats the data on the retumbo?? start and max??? where did it come from? i dont have it in any of my books?
Factory Remington 700`s need a few tweeks.

My favorite is polishing the crown. I am a do-it-yourself guy and i bought mandrels from Brownells.

I use a firelapping kit I bought and it has 4 grades of polish. I took pictures of the worse one I ever crossed paths with if any interest in a before/after view.

I feel this mod gives me the most bang for the buck out of production 700`s. I`d also pillar bed the action as a second option, float the barrel, and lighten the trigger to a crisp 2 1/4 pounds.

If you do all these mods, you can shrink groups down to the .600" to .700" @ 100 yds.

I`ll go ahead and agree with you on one point. the 264 Win Mag is a picky caliber to load for. I have a custom, and use 130 Accubonds with H1000, and 140 SGK with Retumbo.
My dad switched to the 130 gr. Scirroccos for both his .264 WM and my uncles .260 Rem last year. Between the two of them they've shot 4 elk with them so far. All were one-shot kills.

Right now Dad is trying to get his hands on some Berger bullets, but without much luck. Barring finding those Bergers, I think he will stick with the Scirroccos.

I don't remember what he was using for powder. In the .264 WM he's probably still using up his remaining supply of H870. Boy, was he pissed when Hodgdon discontinued that powder. You could hear the rant for miles around.
Originally Posted by pyro6999
whats the data on the retumbo?? start and max??? where did it come from? i dont have it in any of my books?

Check Hodgdon's website and you will find it.
the numbers they have seem a little conservative, im shooting 64gr of h-1000 right now with a 140gr bullet they show max at like 58.5 they must have updated there info the last time i was in there they didnt have anything with retumbo for the .264, i dont think they had hybrid100 either. thanks for the info.
Reviving an old thread. Getting ready to do some load development for my 264. I'm wanting to try out Retumbo and H1000 behind some 130 gr AccuBonds. Apparantly the Hodgdon reloading data website is down. Anyone have start/max load info for these bullets and powders?
BULLET WEIGHT130 GR. NOS AB
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderRetumbo
Bullet Diameter.264"
C.O.L.3.280"
Starting Load
Grains59.9
Velocity (ft/s)2,932
Pressure54,300 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains64.1
Velocity (ft/s)3,090
Pressure60,800 PSI

BULLET WEIGHT130 GR. NOS AB
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderH1000
Bullet Diameter.264"
C.O.L.3.280"
Starting Load
Grains56.1
Velocity (ft/s)2,835
Pressure54,600 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains60.4
Velocity (ft/s)3,005
Pressure62,100 PSI
While I have not used the Scirroco, i have used many other bullets. But as for powder I have recently started using R-33. It outspeeds all the others in my Krieger barreled 264 with a 1/8 twist. Around 75 grs with a 127 LRX easily gets 3375 but is close to max in my rifle. I have used H-1000, 7828, Retumbo and others..but R-33 seems to be the best combination of speed and accuracy. I am going to shoot 129 SSts in the morning if the rain holds off.
Bill
Seems like RL33 is hard to find for me

Range/chrono report from this past Friday. Speeds from my Oehler 35. Temp = 55F. Fed 215 and 130 NAB on all.

64.3 gr Retumbo - 3,105 fps

66.o gr RL-25 - 3,155 fps

68.o gr RL-33 - 3,095 fps
69.o gr RL-33 - 3,120 fps.

Retumbo seems to show the best accuracy at this point. None of these are max loads. Would like to get 3,200 fps from 25" 1:9 twist barrel.

Originally Posted by lucznik
My dad switched to the 130 gr. Scirroccos for both his .264 WM and my uncles .260 Rem last year. Between the two of them they've shot 4 elk with them so far. All were one-shot kills.

Right now Dad is trying to get his hands on some Berger bullets, but without much luck. Barring finding those Bergers, I think he will stick with the Scirroccos.

I don't remember what he was using for powder. In the .264 WM he's probably still using up his remaining supply of H870. Boy, was he pissed when Hodgdon discontinued that powder. You could hear the rant for miles around.

Shouldn't RL-33 be pretty close to H-870?

DF
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Range/chrono report from this past Friday. Speeds from my Oehler 35. Temp = 55F. Fed 215 and 130 NAB on all.

Retumbo seems to show the best accuracy at this point. None of these are max loads. Would like to get 3,200 fps from 25" 1:9 twist barrel.

You ought to be able to use so much RL-33 that the case would be full to the base of the neck. My load with the 140 VLD is 77 grains.

I also have 400 Sciroccos in the boxes plus some pulled ones if you are interested. I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted from them...
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

You ought to be able to use so much RL-33 that the case would be full to the base of the neck. My load with the 140 VLD is 77 grains.

I also have 400 Sciroccos in the boxes plus some pulled ones if you are interested. I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted from them...

I had problem with 90 Gr. SSII's in my .240 Wby until I jumped them a bunch. Loaded long, they were not accurate. Did you try different COALS with those SSII's in your .264WM?

DF

I also have 400 Sciroccos in the boxes plus some pulled ones if you are interested. I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted from them ...

Thx for the bullet offer. I'm going with the 120 TTSX or 130 NAB for this fall's muley hunt. I've got enuff variables to play with as it is. I'll keep chucking '33 into the cases (100% load density is never a bad thing) and see what the chrono says. Sounds like 3,300 is possible w/ the 130. That was my goal for the 120 TTSX.
Tried every depth possible. It shot well for a while, then went completely to hell.
Tried every depth possible. It shot well for a while, then went completely to hell.

If they shot well for a while, then went South, to me that sounds more rifle than bullet. I would think if they shot well at all, they may have promise.

DF
Not the rifle.

Shooting the 140 VLD now as you know. There's something wrong with that bullet, believe me! When I say it went to hell, I'm talking about long range. You couldn't tweak the velocity or BC in the ballistic program to match what it was actually doing. (Yes, the scope was good wink. )
P.S.

I've got 400 NIB for sale!
Using the JLK 130gr VLD with 67gr of H4831 3 shot average 3249fps from my Shelin 30" barrel with 1 in 8 twist. Found this load in my old Hodgdon No. 20 manual.
© 24hourcampfire