Home
Posted By: DAWGY Bullet runout - 11/18/09
Hi guys,Please explain this to me:
When you hear someone say that he has 2thou (0.002") runout on his hullet after seating them, does this mean 0.002" from the centre of the axis of the bullet, or 0.002" from one side of the "wobble " to the other side?(which would then be 0.001" runout from the centre)
Posted By: mathman Re: Bullet runout - 11/18/09
That could vary with who is quoting the figures.

When I say "this bullet shows .002" runout" I mean the total swing of the indicator needle is two thousanths.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Bullet runout - 11/18/09
Originally Posted by mathman
That could vary with who is quoting the figures.

When I say "this bullet shows .002" runout" I mean the total swing of the indicator needle is two thousanths.

That's how I figure it......

Casey
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Bullet runout - 11/18/09
same here
Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: Bullet runout - 11/18/09
Ditto.
Posted By: Bear_in_Fairbanks Re: Bullet runout - 11/18/09
Count me in too.
B.I.F.
Posted By: super T Re: Bullet runout - 11/19/09
Me too.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Bullet runout - 11/19/09
Yup-per! That's how I measure it.
Posted By: boomtube Re: Bullet runout - 11/19/09
"When I say "this bullet shows .002" runout" I mean the total swing of the indicator needle is two thousanths."

No matter how we "measure it", to a machinist that's TIR (Total Indicated Runout), which is twice the actual runout. Doesn't matter what we call it, what we want is to make it "0"! smile
Posted By: DAWGY Re: Bullet runout - 11/19/09
Ithank you all, gentlemen.
Posted By: woods Re: Bullet runout - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by boomtube
"When I say "this bullet shows .002" runout" I mean the total swing of the indicator needle is two thousanths."

No matter how we "measure it", to a machinist that's TIR (Total Indicated Runout), which is twice the actual runout. Doesn't matter what we call it, what we want is to make it "0"! smile

+2

I've taken to calling it "Total Indicated Runout" or TIR just to be correct. Like boomtube says runout is not something exclusive to reloading and machinists have been measuring it forever.
© 24hourcampfire