Home
Posted By: Ruger270man Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/18/10
Does anyone have a good 22-250 deer load. Any info would be great.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/18/10
64gr winchester power point. available from midway. H414 and magnum primers. is what i use for game. Very effective bullet and 3500fps is possible. Bullets hold together very well with good penetration. It performs better than partitions and stabalizes in 1-14" barrels for me.
60 grain Nosler partitions, Varget, and CCI BR2 primers. They group decently out of my #1 and served me quite well last hunting season.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/19/10
Old School: H 414,

New School: RL 17

Bullet: 70 grain Speer SMP

MV: 3350 fps
Posted By: ingwe Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/19/10
" Newer" school..

53 gr. Barnes TSX

36.0 grains IMR 4895

Ingwe

Real old school.....a 270.......... wink

Casey
.270s bounce off deer....... whistle

grin
Ingwe
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/19/10
I used Speer 70 gr. Semi-Spitzers in a 222 & a 22-250 to take a couple of deer; one shot each. These stabilize well in my 1:12 twist barrels.
Another vote for 64 powerpoint. I am using 35 grains IMR 4895 with win brass and cci 200 primers. 1 in 14 twist and 20 inch tube. Groups consistently 1 in or better (3 shots) at 100 yards. I shot 1 bear with this load (pass thru) at 150 yards and Drt bear. They also consistently out penetrated 60 grain hornadies, 70 grain speer, 63 smp, and 55 grainer hornady and smps when shot into dry phonebooks. Very affordable bullet with great performance.
[quote=ingwe].270s bounce off deer....... whistle

grin
Ingwe[/quote

Now Dats Funny!!!!]
Thanx for the info. I really like the feel of this rifle. I have the factory 64gr Power Points & its doesnt group very well. Maybe some hand loading will solve this. (Is why I am searching for some load info). Its a Savage model 16 w/ a 1-10" twist.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/19/10
Originally Posted by ingwe

grin
Ingwe
You really oughta quit throwing your 270 at deer.

grin
Once again. Now Dats Funny !
Originally Posted by RickyD

grin
Ingwe

grin

I wondered why mine was such a short range weapon, and everyone else says their .270s killed deer out to 200 yards or so....

Learn something new every day..... wink

Thanks guys!

grin

ingwe

75g Swift Scirocco IIs if twisted for it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/19/10
" Newer" school..

53 gr. Barnes TSX

36.0 grains IMR 4895

Ingwe

I'll agree with the IMR powder charge.

the 53 grain TSX's work fine, but I'll still stay with the old 70 grain Speer. Never let me down.

my only complaint about its performance, was once I shot a deer that came out of an opening, saw me and turned to run away from me at about 150 yds or so...presenting me with a "Texas heart shot"...

I don't do those...
What I do, is aim just over its tail and below the antlers.
Smaller target, but if you miss, it is a clean miss.

I've seldom ever missed tho on these shots ( I am not that GOOD, I've just been that lucky!)...
The bullet hit the spinal cord, and the buck dropped like a sack of potatoes.

however when the bullet exploded the spinal cord in the neck, it opened up the neck the size of a text book coming out the front throat... and literally, just like opening a book..

the head wasn't worth mounting anyway before the shot...

sold me on the effectiveness of the bullet tho!
I only ever had a " sample of one" with that Speer 70 grainer in my .22-250...It wasn't good, though we had excellent success with it in the .223s...go figure...

Ingwe

grin
Ingwe

grin

I wondered why mine was such a short range weapon, and everyone else says their .270s killed deer out to 200 yards or so....

Thanks guys!

grin

ingwe

Ya gotta learn how to use leverage--it flies much further that way...........just don't have any TSX's chambered or it'll ricochet...... wink

Casey
33gr H335, 60 gr. Partition, 3300 fps.

As for the .270: 59gr. H4831 and 130 gr Nosler BT will not bounce off deer. 58 gr, on the other hand. . . wink
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/20/10

grin
Ingwe

grin

Thanks guys!

grin

ingwe

Sharpen the end of the barrel it will stick better.....
used the 22-250 this yr on several deer with the new 45gr TSXs I had complete penetration and thought the bullet performed great. I used varget and the deer were all dead. Shots ranged from 50yds to 150yds. I will be using this bullet riflel combo next yr. HAPPY HUNTING
Originally Posted by ruger243223
used the 22-250 this yr on several deer with the new 45gr TSXs I had complete penetration and thought the bullet performed great. I used varget and the deer were all dead. Shots ranged from 50yds to 150yds. I will be using this bullet riflel combo next yr. HAPPY HUNTING
Just bought a couple boxes of the 45gr TSX to try in my 22-250,load data please...
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/20/10
Can't remember how much but I shot Varget under the 45's when I was shooting the 45's. Shot great but did not shoot a deer. If the hornet gets exits with that bullet I think the 25o will push them through too.......grin.
We are useing Varget, I can't go get the data as I have a very badly sprained ankle and I am not going to try the stairs. HAPPY HUNTING
Posted By: roundoak Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/20/10
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
Thanx for the info. I really like the feel of this rifle. I have the factory 64gr Power Points & its doesnt group very well. Maybe some hand loading will solve this. (Is why I am searching for some load info). Its a Savage model 16 w/ a 1-10" twist.

270man...I shoot a Savage 16HSS Weather Warrior with a 1-10" twist and have found the 60gr Nosler Partion with 34grs H4895SC gives sub-moa groups but is not the most accurate bullet shot in the gun. I shoot the gun/bullet combination in a CWD deer management area that is densely populated with houses and sub-divisions. Areas outside this CWD zone I use larger calibers on deer.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/20/10
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
Does anyone have a good 22-250 deer load. Any info would be great.

Depends on the shot.

I made one really dead really fast with a 52 grain Sierra to the noggin. There was literally nothin' forward of the base of her ears, her head was sprayed all over the front of the stump behind her. Somethin' like 38-ish grains of H380.

For more general use, try a 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw with about 36 grains of H4895.

Tom
Originally Posted by ruger243223
We are useing Varget, I can't go get the data as I have a very badly sprained ankle and I am not going to try the stairs. HAPPY HUNTING
Come on man up wink
Posted By: dawaba Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/21/10
+4 on the WW 64 gr bullets. Over the years, I've dumped several does with it, but never any mature bucks. Second place goes to the 63 gr Sierra.

I'm also a bit OLD SCHOOL in that I don't believe that a .224 bullet in any weight is the best choice for a trophy deer. Now for culling does, "the .22-250 may be the perfect round", to quote Dr. James Kroll, aka Dr. Deer.
Hmmm whats good for the doe isn't good for the trophy buck,intresting....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by T_O_M

For more general use, try a 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw with about 36 grains of H4895.

Dude...you stole my load! laugh

Its what I used till TSXs came out...and now I guess they quit making TBBCs..
Dis one succumbed to "your" load..... grin

[Linked Image]

wink
Ingwe
Posted By: roundoak Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by dawaba
+4 on the WW 64 gr bullets. Over the years, I've dumped several does with it, but never any mature bucks. Second place goes to the 63 gr Sierra.

I'm also a bit OLD SCHOOL in that I don't believe that a .224 bullet in any weight is the best choice for a trophy deer. Now for culling does, "the .22-250 may be the perfect round", to quote Dr. James Kroll, aka Dr. Deer.

I'll second your position on shooting deer with a .224 bullet. The conditions have to be just right before I pull the trigger. Personally, I have not had a whitetail get away from me after the shot. The count is 17 put down with the 22-150. During the regular gun season many deer are pushed into urban areas and that is where I get permission to hunt with my 22-250 during the CWD Management extended season. I worked with a couple of DNR Wardens to open the door on some of the private land. A lot of coyotes are on this urban property also, dining on pet cats and dogs. 60 grain Nosler Partition does not destroy a coyotes hide like a lot of the lighter jacketed bullets.

Outside of this unique condition...I chase the whitetails with larger calibers
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by dawaba

I'll second your position on shooting deer with a .224 bullet. The conditions have to be just right before I pull the trigger.

+1 Conditions have to be just right & This is strickly for culling purposes.
I've used an would recommend the 53 TSX, 63 Sierra, 64 Win, 55 Horn, 60 Horn. Any of these with H414, R15, Varget will do you just fine.

And I would use them both for doe hunts as well as for mature buck hunts. I have found it more than a bit amazing how capable these lil slugs are on game.

Total side note and not trying to stir it to much...but for those that feel a bit uncomfy with the idea of a 22 on big game, I'd say that if you shot a buck in the guts with a 22 and one of these slugs and or with say an 06 with a 180 preme I know I'd be for betting the one with the 22 to go down quicker.

And no, I am not being an advocate of poor shot selection.

Dober
Posted By: GregW Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/21/10
Dober...

I also cannot see the logic in shooting a "cull deer" with a .22-250 but against this logic for trophy deer? A deer's antlers mean you change your cartridge preferences? Cull deer die easier? Some folks just plain crack me up.

A .22-250 will flat out spank a deer with a proper bullet anywhere, anytime. Every deer I've seen or taken myself with a .22-250 have literally been bowled over feet up. I've some video of a deer taking one and literally being de-cleated...
I'm with you buddy, for the most part what I've found with people who get nervous about the concept is that they've lil or no experience with it. So, they naturally feel like it's not gonna be a good way to go.

In Montana I've several friends who've used them a lot more than me and have taken enormous amounts of big game with the 22's (mainly the 22/250 and Swift). Yearly I talk with people who take deer/elk/moose/lopes/bruins with them and they do just fine.
One needs only to take a look at some of the game that Scenarshooter (Pat) from here has taken with his old Sako Swift.

I kind of feel it comes down to the hunter and not the round. And I'll end by saying that when I hunt with a 22/250, Swift or 223 that I go into a deeper predator mode, much like I do for bow hunting.

As Steely would say, one only needs to make themselves happy.

Dober

Posted By: mathman Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/21/10
Every deer I've seen or taken myself with a .22-250 have literally been bowled over feet up. I've some video of a deer taking one and literally being de-cleated...

To be clear that is the reaction of the deer to the shot, not the impact tossing the deer.
Originally Posted by mathman
Every deer I've seen or taken myself with a .22-250 have literally been bowled over feet up. I've some video of a deer taking one and literally being de-cleated...

To be clear that is the reaction of the deer to the shot, not the impact tossing the deer.

Really? grin...

I would assume that would have been self explanatory but maybe not?
I was just making it plain since there are those out there who believe or can be lead to believe that a bullet can "throw the deer to the ground" or whatever.
10-4. I know.

My sarcasm and bad jokes sometimes get lost within typed words.
No sweat. Let's not let the thread get de-cleated. laugh
I and my family have shot a world of deer with the 60 gr. Hornady HP or SP in the 222, 223 and 22-250, mostly always get a nickel size exit and when you don't get an exit you will find a perfectly mushroomed dime sized bullet against the off side skin..Most have been shot at 50 to 100 yards with a few shot at about 200 to 225..instant kills or short runs are the norm..

BUT, you seldom get a good blood trail with the 22's, even with an exit hole and almost none without complete penetration, so I suggest that they be used carefully and in more open country like our Idaho sagebrush hills, where you can see them run off..
I guess I don't see the need to use a bigger rifle as my children and nieces would attest the 22-250 is a death ray to deer. We are using the 45gr TSXs now and they have performed great. My daughter is 10 and so is neice and they both have taken deer with the 250 along with my son who is 12. So if a 10 and 12yr old can take deer I don't see why a seasoned hunter wouldn't be able to. It is a great caliber and works nicely for our kids. HAPPY HUNTING
Posted By: luke Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/22/10
I agree with Dober. My hunting buddy and I have used Swifts and 22-250's for many years (late 70's) on Wisc. deer. 50, 55, and 60 grain Hornady's and others, and have had no problems. A gut shot buck just cannot go when hit with these rifles. We don't try to hit them there, but occasionally running deer get shot there. About the farthest we have had one go is 300 yards, It was a 7 point that weighed 197 lbs after it hung for four days. Our experience has been excellent with these cartridges.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/22/10
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'm with you buddy, for the most part what I've found with people who get nervous about the concept is that they've lil or no experience with it. So, they naturally feel like it's not gonna be a good way to go.

In Montana I've several friends who've used them a lot more than me and have taken enormous amounts of big game with the 22's (mainly the 22/250 and Swift). Yearly I talk with people who take deer/elk/moose/lopes/bruins with them and they do just fine.
One needs only to take a look at some of the game that Scenarshooter (Pat) from here has taken with his old Sako Swift.

I kind of feel it comes down to the hunter and not the round. And I'll end by saying that when I hunt with a 22/250, Swift or 223 that I go into a deeper predator mode, much like I do for bow hunting.

As Steely would say, one only needs to make themselves happy.

Dober

After shooting deer with the Gebby Varminter and 22-250 Remington for 41 years I still am nervous using it, especially knowing there are many calibers more suitable. My first 22 centerfire rifle was a hand-me-down 1903 Springfield Gebby .22 version put together by Charlie Cournoyer of South Milwaukee WI. Throat eroded but I did not care it was hot and fast. It did not take me long to realize you had to be extremely careful with shot placement and yes, I lost some wounded deer early on. Another thing I have picked up over the years is that a lot of hunters tell you about the fantastic shots they made...which is the good, but leave out the bad and ugly.

Granted, today there are a lot better constructed bullets for the 22-250 compared to when I first shot the caliber, but I am still nervous.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/22/10
Some of the comments about the 22-250 in this thread makes me wonder why I should hunt deer with larger calibers...

Let's see..."death ray to deer" "gut shot bucks just cannot go" "bowled over feet up" "de-cleated" "spank a deer"

Posted By: luke Re: Need a 22-250 deer load. - 01/22/10
I think their is good bad and ugly with all calibers and cartridges with respect to killing game. We also use 25-06, 257 AI, 6.5x55, 7x57, 280 Rem, 300 Savage, and 30-06 on deer. Nothing in that list has killed them any deader, any quicker than the afore mentioned rounds. They all can fail, and they all can kill.
© 24hourcampfire