Home
I am in load development for my 257 wby.

whats your favorite bullet? I am considering barnes but cant decide between tipped or not as the non has a better BC. I have been playing with the Etip as lead free is high on my list if I can accomplish it as sooner or later the lead ban will probably cover all of california.

I am also working with the 110 accubond.

What about swift scirocco 2?

what do you use?
I've had great luck with Accubonds in othre calibers so that had alot to do with why I chose the 110gr accubond for my .257wby.
I'm sure the 100 gr TSX fans will chime in soon, but they won't shoot well in my .257 Vanguard Sub-MOA at all - the 110 gr Accubonds do and the 115 gr TSXs are not far behind in accuracy.
I tried 110 accubonds and they shot fairly well. But I ended up using barnes 100 tsx (not tipped). In wby brass. I have two 257's and one likes 72 gr of RL22 the other 72 gr imr7828. Both shoot down around 1/2" group @100yd. Fed 215M. OAL 3.180 I think. Reduce your powder charge significantly if you use 7mag brass and work up. I get about 3500 fps velocity from these. I have to be very careful in bullet seating or else I get excess bullet runout. I'm using standard rcbs dies; thats prob why. Seems to happen only with really pointy bullets. These two tsx loads have been consistently accurate for me. Have only shot a couple deer with the 100 tsx but its easy on the meat and heavy on the killin so far. That said, the accubond is a killin bullet, maybe moreso in my experience.
I tried a lot of bullets and settled on the 100gr TTSX. Probably shot 25 head of game with them the last two years and they are usually dirt. I have found the TTSX is a easy bullet to work up a accurate load in every caliber that I have tried. I am another one that uses 72 gr of RL 22 and avg right around 3525 out of a 25"bbl.
Either the factory Hornady offering or when I hand load the TSX. jorge
Either the factory Hornady offering

That one knocked the hell out of a nice 10 pt. buck for a friend of mine, best at the camp that year. He's not anxious to try anything else bullet wise.
I have posted this elsewhere on 24....

My friends and I built 5 Roys all shooting the 115 Berger VLD. It has a high BC and works well on deer at long range. One friend has killed several elk as well.

Back when I used a 257 Wby I used 7828 and a 100 Horn for all that moved here from yotes to elk.

Dober
Hornady IB, better BC than the NAB. Use the 115g NBT to practice (same BC per Bryan Litz), and load the HIB to kill stuff. It opens wide, retains alot of weight and penetrates well.

It tested well in the bullet test tube, wet newspapers and whitetail buck last year.
kyreloader

how is .375 interbond a better bc than .418 accubond?

I am really getting the bug to try scirocco 2s any one else use them?
100 gr TSX cause...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
80 grain ttsx factory loads shoot lights out in my vanguard
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
100 gr TSX cause...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Whats the green stocked rifle?
Savage 110 FP 25-06 B&C stock
Originally Posted by nitis
kyreloader

how is .375 interbond a better bc than .418 accubond?

I am really getting the bug to try scirocco 2s any one else use them?

Because the listed BC on the Accubond isnt correct.

Nosler lists the BC of the 115g NBT as 0.453, but was measured by Bryan Litz at .399 or .400(IIRC) for his book. Therefore, the accubond has the same shape as the BT and 10g less weight which equates to a lower BC than the 115g NBT and therefore a lower BC than the HIB.
I have used the 80gr TTSX @ 3700 (a very mild load) so far, because of its great accuracy. It has been effective too on the five animals my Roy has killed. I couldn't get the 100gr TTSXs to shoot well for me, but the 110gr Accubonds and 115gr Ballistic Tips are showing great promise during load development. Would love to find a good shooting load for the 115gr VLD, but that is still in the works. The heavies win in the windage and energy on target contest, at least in theory, but the 80gr TTSXs at 3700 haven't let me down yet and shooting a bullet that fast is just plain cool. grin

John
115 VDL's and R25 worked for me...
Hornady 120 HP, a classic bullet designed for the .25-06 and .257 Weatherby. At 3300 fps in my Accumark it shoots sub-moa, flys flat and kills deer like lightning...without the burn marks. wink

Wow, that is one HOT load!!! but it works for you! What seating depth, brass, primer? jorge
Norma brass(which has a larger capacity hence the large load of powder IIRC 90 gr water also running moly coated bullets)3.190 and Federal 215M primers
I am in high hopes that my new bullet for my 257Roy will be the Nosler 100 grain Etip. Why? Well, I'm hoping that it will shoot more accurately than what I have had thus far, and I believe it will be as close to ideal as one can get for a bullet that will perform under those velocity conditions. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Wow, that is one HOT load!!!

To which post are you referring? My 120HP load at 3300 fps is straight out of the Hodgdon Manual:
120 - 69.0/IMR7828 - 3.17" loa - 53,000 cup

...I'm hoping that it will shoot more accurately than what I have had thus far, and I believe it will be as close to ideal as one can get for a bullet that will perform under those velocity conditions...

IME .257 Weatherbys with the factory freebore shoot better with non-boattail bullets. Mine shoots the Remington 87 HP far better than the 87 BTip, the Speer 100 SP better than the Nosler or Sierra 100 BTs, and the 120 HP Hornady is the best 117/120 bullet I've tried in several Mk Vs. My custom .257 has no freebore and shoots everything well.

While I used 100-grain bullets for years in my .257s, I finally gave up trying to find one which always worked well at 3600 fps. The closest was the Nosler 100-grain Partition, but even it caused bloodshot meat at under 125 yards. The slightly slower 120 shoots as flat, kills very well and doesn't damage as much meat with equal bullet placement.

He was refering to my load which is over max but as stated brass is large(90 gr water capacity rather than 85gr) and I'm running moly coated bullets

Have you tried the Barnes? I have yet to chrony my Etips but I speculate as to whether I can get equal velocity?
100gr Scirroco II's/H1000 @ 3600fps land sub-moa as far as I care to shoot...
I shoot the 115 Grain Partitions in my .257 mag. It's much more accurate in my rifle than the 120. I don't trust the Sierra stuff at very high velocity. It's an old bullet that has always kicked butt for me so I don't need to experiment much. Good Luck! Dee
One of the good things I can say about my .257 wby is it shoots everything between .75 and 1 inch. I havent found a load yet that produces half inch groups, but it shoots VLD, TTSX, TSX, Accubond, Scirocco II all of them right at or just a hair below one inch. I shoot the VLD for deer, and my buddy will be using it with the 100 TTSX in Africa.
Nitis,

I have tried the Barnes TSX in 100 grain weight. It has been o.k. as far as accuracy goes, but nothing to waste the paper to write home about. However, in all fairness, the gun has given me its share, and many other rifles share of problems. I finally sent it back to Weatherby and they recrowned it for me and then sent me back the test targets...the best, which was really nice, was the TSX. When I got it back I had it bedded into a fibermark stock and started playing with it. I didn't play very long before I got distracted with other things and just now getting back to it.

Anyway, the TSX shot o.k. and velocity was good - 3,600 fps, but the fact that Remington bought them out and the fact that I have always liked Nosler products has prompted me to give the E-tip a try. I think I will start with IMR 7828 and see what happens.

Thanks.
Here's what I use and it works for me:

.257 Weatherby Magnum - Deer Hunting Load

Primer: CCI 250 LRM
Powder: Reloader 22 - 64.5 Gr. **MAX**
Bullet: Nosler Partitions 115 Gr. - BC 0.389
OAL: 3.180"
Case Usage: Weatherby (Norma)
Remarks: Lee 2nd. Edition, P.304 +/- 3,200 FPS

Don't know if I'm getting this velocity since I haven't checked it with my Chrony. I have a 24" barrel on my Vanguard. I do know that it hits hard and stuff goes down if I do my part. Dee
© 24hourcampfire