Home
I have one load for 85 gr. Sierra HPBT that work beautifully in long range Savage with varmint contour. This is compressed load of 46gr. IMR4831. However, I got another 243win, #2 contour short barrel sporter Mauser, and the gun does not like this load at all. I tried milder loads with the same powder but it did not like them either. I was wondering if someone uses this bullet in light sporter and has some pet load for it. I have Varget, Reloader 10x, 4064, H414, IMR4350 in my cabinet. Could be that the gun does not like the bullet, but I still would like to make stick with it, as I had taken more deer with it than with any other bullet/caliber. The twist is 1 in 10", 23" bbl.
IMR 4350 works good.
Varget works well in the fiancee's Tikka T3 Lite in .243 under the 85 HPGK..
I would also try one of the 4350's. It's a crappy picture, but here's some groups I shot with H4350 in my son's 700 Youth in 243Win. I just loaded up three each in half grain increments from 43gr to 45gr and this is what I ended up with.

Out of the four groups from 43.5gr to 45.0gr, the worst one was .575", with the best one being .272" at the 45.0gr charge. These were shot at 100 yards with a 2-7 Leupold. Velocity at 45gr out the the 20" barrel was right at 3120fps.

I've not had any experience with this bullet, so I'm glad to hear you've had success with it on deer sized game. I was going to start load work on some 95/100 grain Partitions for that purpose, but with the way these 85gr HPBT's shoot, I don't think I'll bother!

Kevin

[Linked Image]
IMR 4064 is my favorite in the 243 Win and the most accurate in most rifles
around 37.5 of i-4064 or around 38 of varget. or try kdf 43-45 of h-4350.
How long is the barrel on the Mauser?
It is 23", light contour, I think #2 (.590" at muzzle). I don't know what is the secret of this bullet, but the ones I recovered had very good weight retention and mushroom. Someone told me it has tick jacket, so it helps to retains weight.
" I was wondering if someone uses this bullet in light sporter and has some pet load for it."

Our "pet load" is no more likely to shoot well in your new rifle than your own old pet load. Experimentation is the ONLY way to go.
C'mon Boom, it ain't that mysterious. Of course a little fine tuning may be required but there are "reference loads" that take a lot of initial guesswork out of the situation.

For example, if a guy came to me about 308 loads and he told me he had 168 grain bullets and some Varget I could send him away with a lot better guidance than "go experiment" because chances are his 308 isn't going to be radically different from the other hordes of them that shoot lights out with 46 grains.
In my CZ550 .243, 37.8 gr of Varget was the sweet spot with the Sierra 85 gr HPBT.

I've been shooting the 85 grain Sierra HPBT for many years in lightweight Sako rifles. IMO, if the rifle wont shoot that bullet with 42 grains of IMR 4350, the rifle is the problem. YMMV.
[Linked Image]
Max loads of RL22 with WLR primers has worked great for us.
37.5 varget
Near-maximum load of IMR4895 has worked in my M70 sporter since 1967. I know 4895 is faster than most would start out with, but it's what I had available at the time. I have since also loaded Varget with that bullet with equally good results.
Ive been shooting 43.0 grains of RL 17 in mine with the 85 sierra hpbt and it really likes it.

Good Luck
Rugercollector, Any velocity readings for that load? That is on my to try list.
37.7 gr. IMR4064 out of 26 inch Ruger#1. .7 to .8 inch 3-shot grps.(good enough for me) @3100 fps thru Pact 1 chrono. Only shot 1 deer with this bullet/load, 110 lb whitetail doe at 40 yards behind the shoulder, standing broadside. 2-inch exit hole. Couldn't find bullet. Deer ran up hill approx. 20 yards, DOA. Did this to see how bullet performed at close range. 'Twas a legal kill.
I used to load about 42gn of 760 with that bullet in a couple of Sako's I used back in the 70's. That bullet killed some very large pigs as clean as they could fall.

JW
Yup, 36 - 37gr Varget seems to be a real winner in my 243. Shoots 1" groups at 300 yards regularly. 2880 - 3040fps. 22" barrel.

When I bought my 243 this was the cheapest bullet on the shelf at $22. With 900 rounds of it downrange I am very confident of its ballistics.

Haven't shot a creature with it yet, so it is good to hear others' experiences. Suprised about Aussie shooting wild pigs with it...I thought it would be way to explosive to penetrate a pig unless you hit a soft spot. I thought it would expand too much/fast on a large deer too, but by all accounts this bullet does penetrate & expand well and drop 'em fast. So much for the need for SSTs, BalTips, AccuBonds, and the rest of the expensive ones (1.5 - 2x the cost). Its not so much the cost of the bullet you use in the hunt, its the hundreds we send through paper that is significant.
Same bullet, but a starting load of H380. Very first time I shot this rifle at 100 yards.
Didn't chrony it but on paper should be in the 3000 FPS range

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
37.5 varget

Yeah? Well mine works better with 37.6 gr of Varget! grin
I always reach for 4064 first... in that bullet weight range and H 414 second...

don't need any other choices in the 80 to 90 grain range.
Ramshot Hunter!!!!
© 24hourcampfire