Home
All,

Has anyone tried shooting 9mm Makarov 95 gr HP bullets in their 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 with a pinch of pistol/shotgun powder at ~1000 FPS? If so, how did it work out? I've a couple of boxes of Makarov bullets and thinking of trying it out.
Funny you should ask... I just tried it yesterday, though only w/ one round. I loaded it w/ SR-4759... I think it was 20 gr?

I picked up 500 cast 95 gr Makarov bullets with the intention of using them for practice... maybe to dispatch the misc varmint, too...

Unfortunately I only ran one so I can't say how well this works, but I definately intend to do a lot more of this.
Cool.

I just loaded up a few rounds with 95 gr Hornady HPXTP, 8 gr SR 4756 to be shot over the Chrony next time at the range.
I think I'm going to try some W-231 with filler b/c the loads I ran this morning w/ 20 gr SR-4759 had unburned powder in the cases.

What sort of luck did you have w/ your loads?
Fluctuating FPS (1070-1344) and 4.5" five shot group at 50 yds. Also tried a 1/4 sheet TP wad to help keep the small volume of powder against the primer. It was without effect. No unburned powder though.

Years ago, I read a gunscribe's "The Load" which was 13gr of Red Dot. IIRC, it was a reduced load that worked with anything between .30-30 to .30-06. May try that next since I have Red Dot on the shelf.

If I don't get satisfaction with Red Dot and I get the urge to spend some money on the project, I may try Trail Boss.
© 24hourcampfire