Home
Posted By: LowBC 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/18/10
Hi Guys,

I have been using the 120NBT's oretty much exclusively in my 260 but came across a bunch on 129sst's at the right price. Does anyone have any good loads they wish to share? Also, how is this hornady bullet for both accuracy and as a hunting round.

Kind regards

LowBC
Hornadys are good hunting bullets. I don't have any experience with the .260/129s as I use a 140gr core lokt in my 260 but I've used Horns in several other calibres w/o a complaint.

I would think that you could drop back a couple of grains from your load now and work up.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/19/10
I load the regular 129 grains in the 260...

just drop your 120 grain load by about 2 or 3 grains....and you should be good to go...
Posted By: Mar336 Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/19/10
I just tried one powder with that bullet and only just a few different charges at that but H4831sc seemed to work ok out of my 15" barrel.

Never did hunt with it so I don't have any first hand experience it but I was told it was a softer constructed bullet similar to the BT's.
Posted By: 1234 Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/19/10
worked up a load in my 260 with the 129sst. 44gr of 760 gave me one inch groups at one hundred yards never hunted anything with it.

Ed
Originally Posted by Mar336
I just tried one powder with that bullet and only just a few different charges at that but H4831sc seemed to work ok out of my 15" barrel.

Never did hunt with it so I don't have any first hand experience it but I was told it was a softer constructed bullet similar to the BT's.

huh?
Posted By: rockdoc Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/19/10
This is what I got in MY rifle, Kimber Montanna .260Rem with Hornady 129gn SST. RP Brass. Don't recall the primer but could check ammo box in a couple of weeks if required. I worked up to this load 1/2gn at a time in brackets of five, air temp 95F. Absolutely no pressure signs:

47.5gn AR2209 (H4350) gave approx 2980fps.

Worked up from much lower and no pressure signs.

120gn Nosler BT, 47.5gn AR2209 (H4350) gave approx. 3020fps, no pressure signs.

It was a very warm day with full sun exposure whilst shooting.

My advice is to start much lower and work your way up.

Loads were accurate but haven't used the 6.5mm SST's on game yet. However, the 130gn .270 SST's have performed very well on pigs in my Mod70 .270Win.

Cheers, Chris
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/19/10
R19 or H4831 have been best in my 260 with both the forms of 129s and 125gr bullets.
Posted By: LowBC Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/19/10
Thanks guys. I have loaded some up with H4831sc for testing this weekend. Starting at 46 grains so will be interesting to see how it performs.

Rockdoc, thanks for the advice re H4350. I reckon you are a few grains over max so I will start well below if H4831sc doesn't work out.

I must confess to being a bit surprised that no one appears to have hunted with this particular bullet. Is there a reason for this or simply just unfashionable wink

LowBC
I can't help you much on load data and such, but from some testing into wet phone books I'd say the SST is real soft so would suggest staying out of the heavy bones. Both the standard interlock and NBT held together much better then the SST in my testing. However I always thought if you found a good load with them that shot lights out you should be able to easily subsitute a 129gr. Interbond for your hunting loads and use the SST for practice as they have the exact same BC.
Posted By: cervus Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/20/10
Was using the 129sst in my 260. My rifle definitley shot most accuralety with H4350.

Had excellent on game preformance on red deer of differing sizes and couldnt fault bullet preformance. Used sst in my 308 few years back,shot many animals of differing sizes and also had excellent on game preformance....
Posted By: JPro Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/20/10
I run the 130AB with H4350 and I believe I'm at the Nosler manual's listed max. Velocity is a bit over 2,800fps from a 22" barrel. I found the .30cal SST's to be a bit soft for my liking, so I've stayed away from them.
I have used the 129 SST in my 6.5/06 and have taken Mule Deer, Antelope and Caribou the only concern was that I was hunting Caribou where Grizzly can be found (and I seen one) I was feeling a little under gunned for Grizzly defense. But the bullet did everything it was suppose to every time. It will work out of a 260 with perfection as well.

8mmwapiti
Posted By: selmer Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/21/10
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by Mar336

huh?

T/C Encore pistol, I'll put a LOT of money on it.
Posted By: Mar336 Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/21/10
Yes indeed, an Encore pistol. There are a lot of Strikers and XP-100R's though that are chambered for 260 too. I also have a 24" 260 barrel but I don't shoot it all that much.

I must confess to being a bit surprised that no one appears to have hunted with this particular bullet. Is there a reason for this or simply just unfashionable

I was looking at it because it was softer constructed for better performance at handgun velocities but I picked up a pile of 120gr Core-lokts and went that direction instead. I'm not an expert by any stretch on sst's but it seemed to me that in other calibers the sst's have worked well but I read a lot of reports of poor accuracy and game performance from the 6.5/129gr in particular. Take that with a grain of salt, it's all second/third hand information.
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/22/10
I must confess to being a bit surprised that no one appears to have hunted with this particular bullet. Is there a reason for this or simply just unfashionable

The SST just doesn`t shoot as well in my rifles as the IL, and the everyday 129gr Inter-Loc already has a proven record on deer with me.
Why change a proven thing?
I've run a half dozen or so of them into wet newspaper and I've never seen one not slip a core. I've never seen any other bullet lose a core in my testing. They did shoot fantastic in the one rifle I tried them in though so I'll be trying them again soon when my new 6.5x55 gets done.
Posted By: Shag Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/23/10
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I've run a half dozen or so of them into wet newspaper and I've never seen one not slip a core. I've never seen any other bullet lose a core in my testing. They did shoot fantastic in the one rifle I tried them in though so I'll be trying them again soon when my new 6.5x55 gets done.

My exzact experience! Those ran into wet phonebooks and through one sheet of 3/4 ply(to simulate bone) all lost the entire core. Every bit of it. Penetration was pretty darn good despite the loss. The 120BT will hold up better in the 260. Hit a deer in the lungs and I've no doubt the 129sst will work lights out.. But if meats on the menu best not try to break the critter down.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/24/10
I have heard the same on the SSTs in 129. Likely work great for long range, giving sure expansion, up close, I'd avoid bone.

The Original 129 SP is a great bullet, shorter ogive often gives MV similar to 120s. They shoot well in everything I tried them, and kill fine. I'd put the Plain jane SP right next to the 125 in my mind as I think it's that good of a bullet, as far as holding up at typical speeds in say a 6.5x55. Never heard any complaints on the SP version, but would guess the SST might shoot a tad more accurate. I'd use them on Deer and Bou but not Elk, Moose, or Bear myself.

Like JPro, happy with my 130ABs, but if you got a deal on those SSTs I'd use them in a pinch, I usually opt for lung shots to save meat unless I get a close shot that I decide for the head/neck.
Posted By: Shag Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/24/10
Test media was water soaked phonebooks with a piece of 3/4 plywood(simulate bone) 2" behind the first phone book.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

What was very surprising was how deep it actually penetrated.. One of the reasons I've yet to run a solid on game is that they aren't gonna open up like I'd prefer at longer distances..

I really need to catch a few of these at 700-1000yds to see expansion at those velocitys...

But these pics are pretty much typical results outa my test media at 100yds.. As you can see core is gone..
Posted By: Mar336 Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/24/10
The Original 129 SP is a great bullet, shorter ogive often gives MV similar to 120s.

The 129sp shoots pretty darn well for me. It's a tough bullet too. Never heard anyone complain about it not holding together
Posted By: 65BR Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/24/10
From those pics, I'd guess that bullet blows like an AMAX, though likely not engineered to do so. That SST might make a dandy bullet for the long range hunters, things settle down after say 200-300 yds.

My furthest deer was taken w/6BR 105 amax. Right at 400 yds, double lunged, just seconds earlier I dusted another w/a spine shot, THAT bullet blew in 1-2" as I predicted a disintegration on contact, I steered it into the spine as I was dead on at 200 yds and that first deer was right about that distance. Worked great, 2nd deer had a golf ball sized exit. Doubt it would have gone thru at close range, though death would have been imminent.

I'd use those SSTS but not on rear end shots, or raking shots at close range. I'd just avoid bone if at all possible.

Ironically from what I hear about various 6.5 bullets only the 120 Ballistic Tip has had some reports of being 'soft' vs. other bullets from 120-160 to my knowledge. Be interesting if Hornady 'beefs it up' somehow as I'd not want one coming apart given a choice. Would make an outstanding large varmint bullet i.e. coyote's when hide damage is not an issue.
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'd say the SST is real soft so would suggest staying out of the heavy bones. Both the standard interlock and NBT held together much better then the SST in my testing. However I always thought if you found a good load with them that shot lights out you should be able to easily subsitute a 129gr. Interbond for your hunting loads and use the SST for practice as they have the exact same BC.

+1 about the SST being soft. In my experience, it's shrapnel. Make no mistake: It'll make bug holes on your target, and it will kill deer. However, it makes one hell of a mess, and don't even think about making the high shoulder shot your percentage shot with the SST (IMHO).

In the 2700-2800 fps range, you might like it. In all fairness, most of my experience with it has been in the Hornady Light Magnum (.280 Rem), and those are cooking along at 3,000+ fps. A buddy of mine loads the 150 grain in his .300 Win Mag (against my pleading), and his results have been less than inspiring.
I'm just starting to work up a load for my 260. Yesterday at the range produced some promising resutls. My tight group was using 130 gr. Swift Scirocco's, Nosler brass, Federal 210M primers, 45.0 grains H4831sc. I also tried RL-19 at the suggestion of Swift bullet company. I didn't get the groups I'm wanting. I'm going to try H4350 and Varget next.
Don't overlook Ramshot Hunter.
The 120gr. BT has always been outstanding in my testing, always perfect expansion and good weight retention with no sign of core slipage.
Posted By: Shag Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/25/10
Yep, I've been very surprised by the 120BT it's done very well in my media boxes at 100yds..
Posted By: 65BR Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/25/10
I had heard early 130 .277 BTs were soft, later beefed up, wonder if the 120/6.5mm BT went thru an 'upgrade' also? Much depends on launch speed/range = impact speed w/any bullet so that could be the variable among many reports, as well as what it runs into.

I'd give the BTs a try myself if I did not my 130 ABs. IIRC they once were a fav in the 6.5 JDJ (225 Win case) by handgun hunters. It's been a very successful deer bullet by many, while a few said it did not hold up so well. Not sure why.
Posted By: Shag Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/25/10
Those 130 AB's are scary accurate in my 260.. smile

Not positive but I think the 120Bt's in both .264 and .284 both have been beefed up.

I'd not hesitate to use one on deer. If I wanted to.
Posted By: Mar336 Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/27/10
IIRC they once were a fav in the 6.5 JDJ (225 Win case) by handgun hunters.

Yup. BT's are really popular with handgunners in a number of different calibers. They're accurate and expansion is dependable at the lower velocities. The 125gr BT is THE bullet for a 14" 30-30/30-30 AI.
Posted By: LowBC Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/29/10
Thanks Guys.

I have been trying to locate that thread that had a lot of the bullets tested in similar mediums. For the life of me I can not find the dang thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps the 120NBT's will remain the bullet of choice.

Thanks

LowBC
Posted By: Azar Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/29/10
This one?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1481504/page/1
Posted By: LowBC Re: 260rem and 129 Hornady SST - 07/29/10
Thanks AZAR,

That was the one I was after.

LowBC
© 24hourcampfire