Home
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/06/10
Does anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that the now discontinued Lapua 6mm 100gn SP is a actually a re-badged Speer Grand Slam? One reference i found on the net is that a guy claims that the ones he has have "GS" stamped on them.

Anyone got a box they can check for me?

Thanks.
Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/06/10
Very highly doubt it.
Kind of like I doubt the discontinued Pontiac Firebird is a re badged Dodge Challenger. Don`t know it for sure but.......
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/07/10
Curious about your thoughts on this?

LAPUA GS
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/07/10
I read that a guy claimed the Easter Bunny was his father. Could be I guess.....
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/07/10
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
Very highly doubt it.
Kind of like I doubt the discontinued Pontiac Firebird is a re badged Dodge Challenger. Don`t know it for sure but.......

What has always interested me is how they produced all of those black, third generation Trans-Ams that must have come off the assembly line already looking beat-to-hell that were the car of choice for and also served as an indentification badge for the early-day meth heads before pitbulls and Rotts took on that role.
Posted By: JPro Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/07/10
I was gonna put an dual-gate shifter and T-top on my F150......
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/07/10
Come on guys, i'm genuinely interested in whether this is fair dinkum or not. Can you keep the hi-jack to yourselves please.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/08/10
7mmMagnum,

You might be seeing something from G.S. Custom bullets in South Africa. They make some out rageous bullets.
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/08/10
The pics in the link i posted above are of the Lapua 6mm 100gn SP bullet. I just had a look through the GS Custom Bullets website & i can't say that anything on there looks even remotely like it.

This, however, looks exactly like it.

Speer Grand Slam 6mm 100gn

Does anyone have any Speer Grand Slam bullets they could post pics of to compare to the Lapua Bullets?
Posted By: JasonF Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/08/10
Readers here won't be able to see the AHN thread you posted unless they are members of that forum. Maybe you should repost the pics here?

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/08/10
There certainly is that fact, no password, no bullet see. Course now I'm mostly running on apathy
Whoops, I didn't realise. Thanks JasonF.

Attached picture LAPUA BULLET.png
Attached picture LAPUA BULLET2.png
Posted By: MZ5 Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/08/10
Sure looks like a Grand Slam to me. Don't have any here to refer to, though. Would it be that surprising if it was a Grand Slam? They're outstanding bullets, and lots of stuff in the shooting industry is shared around and/or farmed out. Once you take the mystique (for lots of Americans, anyway) out of the Lapua name, they're great products, but not especially better than lots of other things.
I actually hope it is true. Here in Australia our shooting/gun/hunting guru Nick Harvey always sings the praises of the Lapua 6mm 100gn SP bullet in his 240Wby but they've now been discontinued. My custom 240Wby will be ready by Christmas so i'm getting some components together ready for load development & want to try them out.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/08/10
Pretty sure the Grand Slams are being discontinued also.
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/09/10
Just my luck.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Lapua/Speer Rumour - 09/09/10
Another example of "if it works well, get a lifetime supply now." Nosler's 95 grain Ballistic tips do about 0.56 moa for 5rds in my 240 at 100 yds, and one was an obvious flyer the last time out.
© 24hourcampfire