Home
I went to Midway USA and was pricing some brass. I normally use Winchester, but see they offer Federal. I have shot Federal factory but never reloaded. Those that have, do you like them any better than Winchester or Remington?
I prefer Winchester 270 brass if for no other reason than it's a 270 Winchester. But the other 2 will work just fine, especially if there's a big price difference or all that's available................DJ
DO NOT TOUCH FEDERAL BRASS

it's way to soft and you may have problems with primer popping out later.
Well, one says he uses Winchester. One says dont use Federal....I'll order the Winchester. Thanks
I like Hornady brass....... Some may not but I guess its just personel pref..... grin
I have never used the "Better than Avg" brass. Is there any big difference?
Some say "To hard.... To soft...." If it were me for the .270 I would prolly go for Remington or Federal. I think the Winchester brass is "To Hard" grin It just seems to me the Hornady is just right better primer pocket, flashole and all around more consistant.... And again thats just my 2 cents...
I just shot some handloads in my .270 WIN yesterday that were loaded in 16 year old Federal cases (fired five times as of yesterday); there was no looseness when I reloaded them the last time - I'll let you know if the pockets are loose this time. The first time these cases were fired they were 130 grain Classic factory loads, the last three times they held 59.5 grains of H4831SC, FED 210 primer, and a 130 grain Interlock - not a mild load, but not super hot either. I can tell no difference in Winchester, Federal, Remington, or Frontier brass in my .270 WIN handloads.
You won't notice much difference until after reload number 15 if they even make it there with some you mention. Lapua brass is the best. Some are happy with 6 reloads, others aren't happy if they don't get 25 reloads. Make your choice but generally speaking you get what you pay for.
I like the Winchester brass too.
Not to hijack the thread , but I recently recived some winchester 270 brass that I could barely get the primer seated. I was using a Lee hand primer, and I had to use both hands and some still werent going in below flush. I've never had this problem with the Lee Loader. Ended up busting the handle/lever on the hand primer. Any one else ever experience extremely tight primer pockets?

Winchester.

Casey
winchester
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
DO NOT TOUCH FEDERAL BRASS

it's way to soft and you may have problems with primer popping out later.

Yeppers!
Originally Posted by aceman2101
Not to hijack the thread , but I recently recived some winchester 270 brass that I could barely get the primer seated. I was using a Lee hand primer, and I had to use both hands and some still werent going in below flush. I've never had this problem with the Lee Loader. Ended up busting the handle/lever on the hand primer. Any one else ever experience extremely tight primer pockets?

What brand of primers?

Casey
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
I like Hornady brass....... Some may not but I guess its just personel pref..... grin

Only Hornady brass that I've used was 270 Win. Couple years ago 270 brass(and H4831sc) was hard to find but a place in Maine(Kittnery's?) had Hornady brass.

Nice even brass.

Currently using Win brass and it's not as nice(still good though).
Im using Winchester brass with mine.
Federal Gold Match 215 mag and CCI250 mag
Posted By: spj Re: Recommended brass for 270 Win - 01/19/11
I use Winchester brass, never a problem.
Originally Posted by aceman2101
Federal Gold Match 215 mag and CCI250 mag

Aceman, the Federal and CCI primers are actually a little larger in diameter than the non nickel plated primers from Winchester and Remington. If you are using brass that has been loaded several times with warm loads, the CCI and Federal primers will give you a tighter seat. For unfired or once fired brass, I prefer the Remington 9 1/2M or the Winchester LRM primers for ease of seating. Once they seem to seat too loosely, I will switch to the Federal primers.
Got my 1st 270 in 1964, been using WW brass since and never had a problem.
2ndtimer,thanks for that info,never heard that before
W/W
© 24hourcampfire