Home
Posted By: deg967 Barnes 110 TSX .270 Winchester - 02/10/11
Anyone loading these for .270 Winchester? How do they work on deer at any range?
I'd like to try them through my .270. Just checking before I order some. BTW, still have quite a bit of RL15. Is that a good start? Still new to loading
I have used them for three years. I have only shot deer size animals and smaller. They have performed perfectly for me. I am going to move back to the 130's this fall. Think if I want a 25-06 i'll just go ahead and get one, and enjoy the better BC's that come with that caliber.

But, I dont have a single bad thing to say about the 110 TSX's. Oh and I push mine with IMR4350. Run 15 in my 7mm-08 and it works great there.
Tried a box in a very accurate Sako. Never could get the accuracy nor the speed I wanted, so gave up. I'm sure they'd do just as well as any 130grn CNC out there. They would be a great bullet for low recoil loads for a young hunter IMO.
My load in a Stainless Ruger 270 with 2500 rounds down the tube is 57-58g of R#17, Win case, Fed 215, 110g Tipped tripple shock .040 off the lands at 3610 fps = 2" groups at 300 yards.

Another load that I was shooting previously was 57g of Win 760 at 3375 fps, 1/2" groups at 100.

Deer do not stop this bullet.

This is one whale of an accurate bullet in a three 270's.

Work up to the above loads in your rifle, lot # of powder vary, rifles vary, etc.
They work great. I shot a very large bodied whitetail at 240 lasered yards, blew right through him. I used RL15 and got great accuracy.
[Linked Image]

110 TTSX out of my .270 at just under 300 yds

the young mans first fall and he drew a goat tag...lucky dude

Dober
Originally Posted by keith
My load in a Stainless Ruger 270 with 2500 rounds down the tube is 57-58g of R#17, Win case, Fed 215, 110g Tipped tripple shock .040 off the lands at 3610 fps = 2" groups at 300 yards.

wsm?

Nice Goat, I'm glad you were able to help that young man out.

That picture looks like a win-win to me.

Congratulations
Everything sounding positive so far. Thanks folks...keep'em comin.
BTW..nice goat.
Maybe someday for me
Shot a ~150 lb doe last fall. TTSX .270 110 grain 3170 FPS. 263 lasered yards. Right shoulder blade on the way in had a near fist size hole through it. Four ribs. Fist size hunk of spine missing. Two ribs. Left side shoulder blade had a inch diameter hole. Bullet exited. Caliber size holes both sides in the hide. No blood on the outside. Lungs pretty well trashed from bone fragments. Bang flop obviously. Recoil was so low I watched the whole thing in the scope.

Killed a fawn (~90 lbs)same load and gun. 100 yards. Right behind the shoulder but high. Lungs in the bushes on the back side. Decent blood trail for fifty yards where Bambi piled up.

Velocity is on the low side because the accuracy is extremely good and I quit right there.

I like 'em.
Originally Posted by MILES58
Shot a ~150 lb doe last fall. TTSX .270 110 grain 3170 FPS. 263 lasered yards. Right shoulder blade on the way in had a near fist size hole through it. Four ribs. Fist size hunk of spine missing. Two ribs. Left side shoulder blade had a inch diameter hole. Bullet exited. Caliber size holes both sides in the hide. No blood on the outside. Lungs pretty well trashed from bone fragments. Bang flop obviously. Recoil was so low I watched the whole thing in the scope.

Killed a fawn (~90 lbs)same load and gun. 100 yards. Right behind the shoulder but high. Lungs in the bushes on the back side. Decent blood trail for fifty yards where Bambi piled up.

Velocity is on the low side because the accuracy is extremely good and I quit right there.

I like 'em.

Care to share the recipe ?
Posted By: djb Re: Barnes 110 TSX .270 Winchester - 02/13/11
Try the search funtion, it's great tool on this site. Here is a post I made a while back. Haven't killed anything but paper yet with the 110 TTSX.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Somebody_stop_me_I_m_about_#Post4725234
Originally Posted by deg967
Originally Posted by MILES58

I like 'em.

Care to share the recipe ?

55.5 H4350. 3.252 OAL (.010 0ff the lands). Winchester primer. New Winchester brass. I sized the brass and trimmed it to get a little better uniformity. Remington 700 stainless.
They don't bounce off stuff.

[Linked Image]
And stupid accurate enough to clip heads at 100

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They don't bounce off stuff.

Out of a bunch of deer now with Xs, XLCs, TSXs and TTSXs, I have seen only one that needed a second dose. That one was hit in the knee, Don't ask me how he did it, I do not know. Two got a second dose, but they both went down in their tracks and stayed there.
Originally Posted by Calvin

wsm?

That's what I was thinkin
Well the worm has turned ...
Working on a deal for a couple hundred 100 grain TSX in .270.
Couldnt be much different could they ?
Yes, 100 grain TSX in .270
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Calvin

wsm?

That's what I was thinkin

Think again, 10 grains shy of a wsm load....
I should try some then. That's 600fps faster than what I get out of a friends 270 shootin 130's.
No, it is a standard Winchester 270. I started off at 56.0g of R#17 and went to 60g. At 60g, I would have to full length size the brass and the primers were a little flat, but at 300 yards, 58g was the accuracy load with the fed 215's.

The 270 with 57-58g of 760 with the 110g tripple shock at 3375 was not a slouch load on deer, either.
When the term "primers were flat", is that referring to how far they are seated in the brass prior to loading/firing or something to do with AFTER the round is fired ?
Nevermind..I found out
Must be a reeeel loooong barrel... smile
© 24hourcampfire