Home
I have a chance to pick up a .260 in a very nicely accurized Remington 1st generation Ti from the original owner. It is truly a sweet rifle that I'd like to own, and I only have one simple concern.

I would likely want to take this gem on one of the sheep/goat hunts that I have been building points so long for, and wonder what kind of killing distance I will be able to get out of it for these type critters.

I have been told that it is a good 300 yard deer gun, but I believe it can be loaded with the right bullet to extend that range for a consciensous shooter willing to wait for the right shot.

I have other lightweight rifles that can do the job, but would like to know what you guys think... can I make this little bugger work for me out to 500 yards? Have you experimented with the heavier bullets? I like Accubonds a lot... will the 130 or 140 do what I need? or should I attempt to go heavier?

Thanks for your imput, gentlemen.
I think your long range shooting success will depend more upon your skill level than the rifle.
People used .260 Remington quite a bit for NRA Highpower and it was good at 600 yds. Hunting bullets at unknown distances could be another story.
Try it at 500 yds. on paper and see what kind of results you get.
That is the only way you will truly find out what you and your rifle are capable of.
Good Luck,
whelennut
PS Maybe you can enter an F class competition match and after you shoot it at 600 yds. there will be no doubt in your mind if you want to take a shot at a game animal that far away or not!
The real question is are you good to 500 yards? The chambering is not likely the limiting factor in this case.
The only bighorn sheep I ever killed was at 34 yards broadside and took a broadhead thru the lungs. My mountain goat this year was around 220 or so yards. I'd comfortably take a 260 Remington hunting anywhere in the west and it would not concern me in the least. Sounds like a nice rig, buy it and good luck getting a tag this year.

Not sure I'd want to gamble a long-awaited hunt to a long distance shot with any rifle, if "anchoring" was a necessary part of the equation as it can be with mountain critters. Power and bullet performance-wise however, the round, like the 7mm and .30 -08, can do 400 easily enough assuming you've done the homework properly. I would worry less about the cartridge (buy the rifle if you want it) and make less than 300 your goal, but make yourself ready for whatever you might encounter.
The cartridge is probably the perfect one for your intended purpose. If it has an 8 twist then the 130 grain Berger Hunter would be a good choice.
The two concerns for long range performance are accuracy, and impact velocity. To my way of thinking, a rifle should have the mechanical accuracy to place shots on a clay target at whatever range you are contemplating taking game. That provides you a little bit of leeway for reading the wind and shot placement from field positions, but not alot of leeway. So if the gun will put hunting bullets in that size of group at 500 yds, it would be a yes on that count.

As far as velocity at impact, my personal thought is I ideally want an expanding bullet to impact at 2000 fps, though some of the more lighty constructed bullets will reliably open down to 1700 fps. A little bit of google indicates a 260 will launch a 120 gr @ ~2700 fps, which depending on BC gives an impact of 1700-1800 fps at 500 yds. 140's launched at 2500 and change arrive at 1600-1700+fps.

So yes, an accurate 260 rem with good bullets and in the right hands can take big game to 500 yds. I have no idea if that paticular gun in your hands will be up to the task.

PS, and no offense intended, but it seems the guys that have ask to question about whether or not a gun is up to the task, have not developed their shooting skills to be proficient at those ranges. The guys that have developed those skills don't seem to need to ask the question as they've already answered it for themselvs.
Maybe you misread what my concern is Mr. whelennut. I'm not worried about the accuracy of this rifle as I have been supplied with the details of the accuracy work done on it and the targets it printed with "factory" ammo used to test it on completion of the gunsmithing work, even though the seller handloads for it. My general understanding is that this caliber is well known for it's accuracy, anyway.

I also have a 700 yard shooting range in my backyard, with two dozen steel plate targets, and when I am home from my offshore job for weeks at a time, my many rifles get a lot of practice fine tuning my shooting skills. (grin) I am a mature hunter and have enough 500 yard plus kills under my belt to be confident in my abilities to deliver a killing shot in an accurate rifle/load combination. Those who know me consider me a bit fanatical concerning my shooting habits and the accuracy demands I place on my equipment and myself.

I have a long history with the 30.06, 7mm RemMag, and 300RUM as my hunting rifle calibers. These are well known and trusted by me and I never have a second thought as I settle in for a shot at a distant animal. They all (progressively) have the power and bullet weight to get the job done at any reasonable distance and on any particular game animal I may use them for. The numerous one shot kills these rifles/calibers have produced for me instill a huge confidence in their "killing" abilities.

The use of the .260 Remington however, is obviously in a different class when it comes to the power and bullet weight factors. My reading leads me to believe that it is quite the little performer, often encouraging comments that it kills better than it should. I realize that the competition shooters use it with confidence out to 1000 yards, and although it's good BC and SD numbers will help it out with terminal performance on game (dependant on the bullet of course), it's the question in my mind of it's medium range (500 yards) killing ability on game up to sheep and mountain goats that I need answered.

I guess I am looking for first hand knowledge from someone who has enough experience taking game at these distances with the caliber or at least with the knowledge of the .260's terminal performance capabilities on "game" and not just it's accuracy on "targets".

Thank You Sir
To specifically address your concern, with the right bullet, and velocity 500yds will be easily accomplished. I have hunted the 260, 260AI, the 6.5x284 the 6.5 Lazzeroni and the 264 Win Mag. All of them progessively more of the same. Personally I would use the 120 TTSX and TSX and if the gun won't shoot that the 125 Nos Part. I like the extra velocity ( and the extra length) of the TTSX or TSX. NO sheep or goat will walk away from it if the shot is properly placed. And you have obviously praticed at that distance. I can't argue with Accubonds, i just like the extra velocity of the 120s. I have also used the 100gr Nos BT bullets with great success...and 3200 out of the 260 AI.
I hope this helps,
Bill
Yes Bill, that's exactly what I asked for. Good, first hand experience & knowledge gained by application. I appreciate that.

I already have 3 of the 1st gen Rem Ti's in larger calibers closer to what I am used to hunting with, and I really like the little rifles a lot. This one has been seriously massaged by HCR and represents a much larger investment than usual, and I didn't want to end up with a high priced little shooter that I stepped over to grab the 300WSM for confidence reasons.

Your positive remarks are what I expected to hear based on what little I had learned about the caliber, and I am at least headed in a positive direction towards making it mine.

Thanks for the info
I also have a 700 yard shooting range in my backyard

I'm jealous.
Jeffpg,

I second the opinion of Bill Davis. I've used various smaller 6.5's such as the .260, 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor out to 400 yards on deer and pronghorn, and they work just fine, with bullets at either end of the expansion spectrum, whether Berger VLD's or Barnes X's. There isn't any reason they would start bouncing off in another 100 yards.

Somebody on this thread suggested that 2700 fps with 120's and 2500 with 140's is all that can be expected with the .260, which is absolute BS. With a 24" barrel 120's can be given around 3000 fps and 140's 2800.

Personaly I would be happy to take a .260 after anything in that size range, and even bigger stuff.
Thanks Mule Deer,

I'm looking at a .615 BC on the 139 grain Lapua Scenar & .612 on the 140 Berger.

The Barnes TTSX was also recommended with it's .443 BC in the 120 grain.

The rifle's owner took 3 Red Stag in Europe, the largest bodied one with a 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip he ran across unexpectedly while hunting Roebuck, but I don't know the distance.

The Ti has a 22 inch tube, but I don't feel a whole lot of velocity will be lost in a couple inches. Actual testing often reveals less velocity loss than the "rule of thumb".
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
A little bit of google indicates a 260 will launch a 120 gr @ ~2700 fps, which depending on BC gives an impact of 1700-1800 fps at 500 yds. 140's launched at 2500 and change arrive at 1600-1700+fps.

The .260 might even be a little bit better than your research indicates. I have no problem getting 2900+ from 120s, 2850 from 129 & 130s and 2750 with 140s, all from book max or lighter loads from my Low Wall.

Of course, like you and everyone else says, if you can't hit the animal in the vitals at long range, then the rest doesn't matter...

John
Jeffpg,

I haven't used the Scenar, but the 140 Berger VLD works real well, as does the 120 Ballistic Tip--which is a great combination of lots of internal damage and penetration. Though the 140 VLD generally creates even more havoc.

Heck, any of them work pretty well if they land in the right place. Which is what you really wanted to know.
Hi Jeffpg

I use the 260rem on Red Deer here in Australia and load the 120NBT's to 3030fps. It shoots bug hole groups and knocks over red deer with no problem whatsoever. The longest range is about 270 yards but didn't seem to make much difference in terms of killing ability.

An under rated little round.
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I have a chance to pick up a .260 in a very nicely accurized Remington 1st generation Ti from the original owner. It is truly a sweet rifle that I'd like to own, and I only have one simple concern.

I would likely want to take this gem on one of the sheep/goat hunts that I have been building points so long for, and wonder what kind of killing distance I will be able to get out of it for these type critters.

I have been told that it is a good 300 yard deer gun, but I believe it can be loaded with the right bullet to extend that range for a consciensous shooter willing to wait for the right shot.

I have other lightweight rifles that can do the job, but would like to know what you guys think... can I make this little bugger work for me out to 500 yards? Have you experimented with the heavier bullets? I like Accubonds a lot... will the 130 or 140 do what I need? or should I attempt to go heavier?

Thanks for your imput, gentlemen.
..........................In a video posted on this forum about three months ago by John Burns, Wayne Van Zwoll used a 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with a 129 gr Horn SST to take a bull elk at 603 yards. The bull scampered around for about a hundred yards including doing a U turn and dropped. A one shot kill.

The Creedmoor and the 260 Remington are right on par with one another in the velocity dept.

Go ahead and get your new 260 Rem.
It will do it if you can.
Jeff,

I killed this large bodied buck at near 560 yards using a 700 Ti in 260 Rem.

Swift S2 130 at 2,900 H4350 45.2 grains.
Lapua 243 brass necked up.
I wouldn't hesitate killing them even further out.
The Ti and the cartridge are more than capable of doing it.

I've shot the barrel out and just found a
m7 20" barrel in 260 that I will be putting on
with an Edge stock. 13" lop, read backpack rifle

In a 22" barrel.
120's at 3,000 760 powder
130's at 2,900 H4350
140's at 2,800 I use RL25

I'd be focused on Scenar 123's..........for sure.
Nice deer............That buck got a belly like me
NO, it is a puny ineffective cartridge. Just tell me where I can buy the gun so you wont be tempted to hunt with the bug killer.

Seriously, I have a Kimber 84M in .260 I bought brand new when they first showed up years ago. It shoots tiny groups with the 120BT's and 125 Partitions. I would not hesitate to take an animal the size of a goat, sheep, or deer out to those distances.

There is something to be said for a nice light, handy walking rifle! Good luck.
Wonderful trophy deer there SU35...

back on topic, I've taken deer twice in excess of 300 yds with the 260 Ruger 77 Mk2. Both were taken with 100 grain bullets leaving the Muzzle at 3350 fps.

From a good rest and Leupold set on 4 power, both went straight down and recoil was low enough I never lost sight picture thru the scope...

taken them also with 120 Ballistic tips, 140 grain Sierra, Hornadys and Rem Corelokt and several with the 129 SP Hornady.

a nice balanced cartridge!

wayne van zwoll took an elk with a 6.5 creedmoor (very similar to a 260) at 600+ yards.

I suspect after you buy and see what it is capable of, you will wonder why you have been putting up with the recoil of the magnums for so long...
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I suspect after you buy and see what it is capable of, you will wonder why you have been putting up with the recoil of the magnums for so long...
..............I was beginning to worry. No "Magnum" after 375 Ruger. The recoil should be less on me now!.............. laugh
Ok, I'm sold on yet not surprised by the .260's capabilities. It appears to be all I expected it might and maybe a tad more.

Kinda looks to me like it's great SD helps turn almost any bullet design into a decent terminal performer...

That is a nice buck, SU35. Can you tell me where I can get the stock/forearm wrap shown in your pic?

Also, how many rounds do ya figure it took to retire the original Ti's barrel?

thanks for all, fellows
how many rounds do ya figure it took to retire the original Ti's barrel?

Over 7 years I put roughly 3,500 rounds down it or about 500 rounds a year.

The stock wrap if I remember correctly is Bear Tooth.

Jeff,
If it helps, I still have the 260AI, and the 264 Win Mag but have all but quit using them in favor of the 270WSM for almost everything except things heavier than mule deer. I now use a 300REM version short mag and have used it for everything from antelope to zebra (literally). By switching bullets i can use it effectively for antelope and I have never had to use anything heavier than 168. I hav taken numerous African animals with the 300RSAUM as well as animals here in the states. All with one shot. I still like the 260/264 but the 270 just seems to work slightly better for me.
I am not trying to confuse the issue, just my experience. And I have never shot a 270WSM, either factory or custom that didn't shoot extremely well.
Bill
Originally Posted by exbiologist
The real question is are you good to 500 yards? The chambering is not likely the limiting factor in this case.

+1
I have a 260, but have only practiced at 100 yards.

But I have really practiced at 500 yards with 270 and 7mmRemMag and killed 11 deer at long range with them.

I can only be relied on out to 500 yards.

I don't know your situation, but if you are like me, then this guy may be right:
exbiologist

I own a Model 7 in 260rem and I've used the 129gr Hornady SP in it since I bought it. I get 2650-2700fps out of the 18.5" barrel and have killed more than one deer at nearly 250yds.

If you use the SST version of that bullet with its .485 BC, and get 2900-3000fps you will have a serious long range killer that won't break the bank.
Thanks, Bill Davis. You seem to think a bit more like me.

I am very comfortable with my bigger guns, but have had little experience shooting big game with the smaller stuff. It's not my shooting ability that I am questioning perfect strangers about, (as if that could help) but the capability of the particular cartridge vs those larger ones I have mentioned that I am familiar with. And, I was only asking about it's effectiveness out to 500 yards...

Some of these guys can't seem to get their mind wrapped around the simple fact that for some of us, 500 yards really isn't LONG range shooting... I mean heck, with a 700 yard range IN MY BACK YARD, and twice that 5 minutes away when needed, my 500 has become their 200, most likely. I zero my hunting rifles at 300 right off my deck with a covered bench for shootin' my steel in ANY weather, I can even leave my chrony set up and protected from the weather for the several weeks at a time that I'm home. When you can shoot every day, all you wish, for weeks at a time, out to 700 yards, you can develop some pretty decent skills and habits fellows. I am certainly no braggart concerning my shooting, hunting, or anything else I do, but dang guys, I am asking about the "effective killing range of a 260". Please don't take offense guys but the "real question" that I am asking here has nothing whatsoever to do with mine OR your shooting abilities.. it's about the caliber. If you don't know anything about it, just say so, or maybe say nothing even.

I taught my son to shoot at a young age. When he was 14 years old, he shot competetively in the 14 to 18 yr old age group of the 4H Shooting Sports program and made the State Finals, where he placed 12th in the State among a very impressive group of young shooters. Having taken his first big 9 point buck at the age of 8, he was feeling little pressure in the shoot, although he felt he should have done better. He said, "shoot Daddy, this is what we do!" He and his little sister both competed in Archery, Rifle and Shotgun Skeet, and she also did quite well in all 3 categories. When my daughter went out with me for her first ever deer hunt, I was the only nervous one in the blind, doing too much coaching. She promptly said "I got this, Daddy" and proceeded to nail the big doe with a perfect shot at 100 yards with her little .243. She was 10 yrs old.

I often have ladies and kids (both boys and girls, and girls often do the best) over to my place that have never shot much if any at all. In just minutes I can normally have them hittin' the 6 inch steel at 250 and 300 with my varmint rifles, coke cans at 200 with the rimfires, and ringing the 25 yard steel with 40 cal. Glocks and even my custom 10mm.

I guess with country boys and girls, shooting accurately isn't that much of a big deal... I know I grew up with plenty of guns and ammo at hand, and woods & fields galore right out the front AND back door to roam around in. We had a small tin roofed feeder for the cows about 600 yards from our front pasture gate that I won a many a bet on when my new friends didn't believe I could hit the roof with my dad's old Browning 22 rifle that my brothers and I could shoot empty shotgun hulls out of the air with. Daddy made sure we always had a good squirrel dog. Squirrels, rabbits and birds honed our skills with .22 rifles and graduating to deer and larger game came easy.

Anyway, with all the 7mm thru 30 caliber rifles that I already have, I don't really feel the need for the .260. I don't mind recoil, and I like the extra power found in the larger guns. I did just buy my girlfriend a 7mm-08 Rem in a LVSF that should do her fine as she drives tacks way on out with my LVSF's in .223 & 22.250. My interest in the caliber was peaked somewhat by finding an accurized 1st gen Rem Ti in 260 but with 3 of them in .308, 30.06 and 270 Win, and a Browning Mountain Ti in 300WSM, I think I'm covered in the mountain rifle department.

Of course, if he would get right with his price...

Thanks,
Jeff
© 24hourcampfire