Home
I'm getting ready to get a new single stage press. I'm looking at a Redding Boss, Hornady Lock and Load, Lyman Crusher 2, or a RCBS Rockchucker. Does one have an advantage over the other, and why? I reload; 270 WIN, 22-250, 223, and 30-06 mostly.

Thank you all in advance for the advice.
You will get a number of different answers to your question. Here's mine; I have used a RCBS Rockchucker for many years now with excellent results. I load the same type of cartridges you listed. All the presses you mentioned are quality tools that will last a lifetime and beyond.
You will not go wrong with any of the above.

I do not mean to make your choice more difficult, but I have used the Hornady Lock & Load and the Rockchucker but the one I like best is the Lee Classic Cast single stage press.

I really like the way it handles spent primers. The ram is a large diameter HOLLOW cyclinder to which one connects a large plastic tube (that can serve as a reservoir, or unplug the end and use it to automatically deliver the spent primers into a garbage can).

Lots of leverage, adjustable handle, both left/right or to reduce leverage for better feel!

[Linked Image]

You can read more about HERE

$89 at Midway Midway -- you should note that it has 89 reviews, and scores 5 of 5 stars (few products at Midway get such a positive rating).

It could be worth checking the ratings by buyers for the other presses at Midway, but my bet is that the Lee Classic cast will be the top (at any price, but it is cheap too!).

John

Best, IMHO, this is the best

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

Dies float so will be aligned with cases, die's slide in and out so faster to change dies (this saves alot of time if you are constantly switching between calibers) and the casehead holder floats so the case is free to align with the die. With the casehead holder you just grab the case when you are done, don't have to slide it out of the shellholder.

I have a rockchucker, it's mounted next to the co-ax but mostly collects dust.
A Dillon can be set up with a locked toolhead and floating dies to do the same thing, except you won't be there all day to load your ammo.
I've used the RCBS rock chucker for 15 years now and haven't had one problem with it. Still works like new. However, I did have to take it apart and clean it this year for the first time because it was getting hard to operate in the cold (30 degrees and below). It was just gunked up with old lube and it was easily fixed blush. It is hard to beat RCBS' customer service too. Side note: the co-ax looks pretty cool and I'll get one as soon as I wear out my rock chucker whistle wink
Lots of good advice. Thanks to all for the info!!!
The Co-Ax is the best single stage press available, I've used several...............DJ
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

Dies float so will be aligned with cases, die's slide in and out so faster to change dies (this saves alot of time if you are constantly switching between calibers) and the casehead holder floats so the case is free to align with the die. With the casehead holder you just grab the case when you are done, don't have to slide it out of the shellholder.

+1

This would be my choice as well. I just about dislocated my elbow sometimes using an old lyman t mag press trying to pull case out past the sizing ball/deprimer rod. The co ax press seems to have lots more leverage and sizes smooth as butter. The changing of dies is as easy as reaching up and pulling it out with two fingers. Also, you don't need to change shell holders between Large rifle and magnum callibers.

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

I forgot about that one. I have used one and I agree that it is the best. I would have one, but the Co-ax is $255 vs the $89 of the Lee Classic Cast (Midway prices).

John
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

I forgot about that one. I have used one and I agree that it is the best. I would have one, but the Co-ax is $255 vs the $89 of the Lee Classic Cast (Midway prices).

John

Another vote for the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax. The $255 will provide unfailing service for the rest of your life.....and likely that of your grandchildren too.

How much did you spend on your current truck, and how long will it last? By comparison, your first reloading press will likely be the last one you will buy. Make the decision the right one, IMO.
The Co-Ax is probably the best as stated above; I think Forster dies are for sure the best. I've got a Rockchucker I've used since 1972,but I would buy a Redding now because I like Redding's stuff and Rockchuckers are partially made in China.
I have the Lee Classic Cast and think that it is great. You are absolutely not giving up anything in terms of quality to other, more expensive, single-stage presses. You are getting the same (if not better) level of performance and spending less money to boot.
Forster co-ax is what I use.
Another vote for the Co-Ax. It's the best press I have used for the most of what I do. It won't do everything but for what you are loading I don't think you can beat it.
Foster Co-Ax. There's a used one for sale at www.castboolits.gunloads.com, but I'd pay for the new one, and cash is tight here too, I just sold some stuff and saved up for it. I quickly sold my Rockchucker.
I used a Rockchucker for many years, and as the others have said once I bought a Co-Ax a couple of years back the RC never gets used. Spend the bucks, buy the Co-Ax.
Agreed that the CO-AX press is one nice piece of machinery and is a retard joy to use. But in my experience, it does not make any straighter ammo than my 30 YO RCBS RC or newish Redding T7.

Take home message for the OP: Straight ammo is more a function of technique, brass and dies. Any quality press (plenty to choose from and some are mentioned in previous posts) is mostly a platform for using good technique, brass and dies in.

Edit: At least one thing that the Co-Ax cannot do that others can is pull bullets with a standard collet style bullet pull die. However, Forster makes a special bullet puller die that will work in the Co-Ax.
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

John

Last week the local Cabelas had Lee Classic Cast presses for 70.00 on the shelf. I was there to make use of a discount coupon and had I bought the press, it would have ended up costing just $40.00. Sorta tempted but lead shot and powder had higher priority and I am a few deep in presses.
Reloading isn't rocket science and presses are VERY simple mechanical devices. Those you list and several you don't list look the same because they virtually ARE the same. All of them work quite well and no user will be limited in the quality of work that can be done on any of them; pick a color you like!

I use a 30 year old RCBS Rock Chucker that's mechanically as good as new but I have enough experience to know that it's not unique in any way. In fact, IF I had to replace my old RC tomorrow I would get a Lee Classic Cast. Cost aside, it's simply the better press because of its very nice user features and I suspect it's even stronger and long lived than my RC.

The Foster Co-Ax is a good press but the ergonomics leave me cold; that 'straight out' lever and case feed path isn't condusive to a smooth work flow for me. And I have no objection to normal die swaps either, it only takes few seconds anyway.
My sentiments are pretty much the same as Boomtubes, A friend has the CO-AX and I tried it out, ergonomics left me a little cold also. I do like the primer catcher arrangement. It's probably because I'm so used to the RC I've been using for almost 30 years. I have to wonder that the bullet pulling setup maybe better on the RC, it's simple and solid, but nobody here has to pull any of their bullets right whistle I have 4 RCBS presses, an old RC, a new RC (taller window), an A-4 and a Pro 2000. I've seen a few posts lately remarking that their RC press rams are getting worn out, I haven't had that trouble(keep it lubed) and I wouldn't even try to venture a guess on how many cartridge's I've loaded. Suffice it to say it's alot.
Originally Posted by boomtube
Reloading isn't rocket science........

It sorta is.
Redding T-7.

Why? You can set up your dies and they are ready to go.

I have mine set up with dies for 223, 308, 30-06, and one extra hole for whatever. Love it.

[Linked Image]
Let's be honest: all current presses are excellent. Choice may boil down to ergonomics, price, minor features - or a favorite color. Any of them will last a lifetime or three in normal use.

And NOBODY can say which is best because almost nobody has used more than one or two kinds. We can say we like the one we have, or prefer the one we now have, but that's about it.
Agreed, I don't think anything much is 'best'.

Mostly subjective.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

And NOBODY can say which is best because almost nobody has used more than one or two kinds. We can say we like the one we have, or prefer the one we now have, but that's about it.

Or not.

I have an old lee, 2 rockchuckers, an ammomaster, Redding Big Boss, Redding Ultramag, Redding T-7, 2 Co-Ax's, Dillon 650 with milled die blocks, and have used others.

I also have the RCBS Casemaster, Sinclair Runout tool, a Bersin tool, Neco and the Hornady Concentricity tool.

I've checked Thousands of rounds for concentricity when loaded on the different presses it has been my experience that the Co-Ax DOES overall load ammo more concentrically than all the other presses.

Not to say that you can't load excellent concentric ammo on any of the presses if you are particularly carful with die setup etc. but day in day out the Co-Ax is easier and more consistant in loading concentric ammo, the Forster dies help too...............................DJ
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Well, my wallet won out. I found a Lyman's Crusher 2 today, new in box at a pawn shop today for $70. Couldn't pass it up. Should work just fine.
Great press and an excellent deal to boot! I've been using a Crusher II for over 15 yrs now. I'm not a target shooter but I'll tell you that I have turned out some scary accurate ammo with it.
Enjoy...

Dan
"NOBODY can say which is best because almost nobody has used more than one or two kinds"

In Rocky's defense, note the "almost nobody." And I think he's dead on, I strongly think most of those who are determined that their 'favorite' tools are the best ever made probably haven't used much else, if any; a little real experience quickly dampens that certainty. And for sure, NOBODY can say for sure what's "best" if for no other reason than there are too many 'favorites' for different reasons for that to be true. ??

---------------------------------------------------------

"Reloading isn't rocket science" "........ It sorta is."

Am I correct that you really haven't worked on any rockets, other than perhaps lighting a fuse on July 4? smile

Am I correct that you really haven't worked on any rockets, other than perhaps lighting a fuse on July 4? smile

What? Bottle rockets ain't rockets?
Started out on a friends Pacific (I think) and it made good ammo. He passed and then his family got rid of all the stuff and I ended not being asked. I went with a Rockchucker kit and it has a Rockchucker press. I still have it after many years of use. It makes ok ammo. I even load 9mm and 40 S&W on it (slow and steady kinda like me)

I will always have the Rockchucker cause like my wife says I'm frugal.(cheap)I'm so frugal she thinks the rainbows in the neighborhood where I grew up were in black and white. eekIf it ain't broke I'm not fixing it. I got into reloading to save money and spending it on equipment ain't saving it.
"What? Bottle rockets ain't rockets?" Ah! You ARE a rocket scientist, I conceed to your experience!

------------------------------------

I will always have the Rockchucker...If it ain't broke I'm not fixing it...spending it on equipment ain't saving..."

Chain, surely no one suggests you should change anything. ??
Yuup I know, it amazes me though because I'm cheap all the stuff that people buy and then trade or discard.

I'm so cheap that when I buy bullets and they don't work out for best accuracy with my particular gun I sell them and buy only the "chosen" one and stick to that bullet so to speak.
I just can't bear to use propellant in my huntin' rifles that ain't "thee" load for my rifle. My long range stuff is what I sweat, my semi-auto plinkin and eventualities loading is different though, as I use whatever I can get reasonably for the most part.
I started reloading about 10 years ago with a like new RCBS RS5 press kit that I got at a yard sale for $30! Been working fine but recently thought it would be handy to have a portable set up to bring to the range to develope loads and save some back and forth. I ordered a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme last week for my permanant set up and the RS5 will now be the portable press.

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

That's my choice, and Forster dies too.
I just don't see how you can beat the quality and simplicity.
"NOBODY can say which is best because almost nobody has used more than one or two kinds"

In Rocky's defense, note the "almost nobody." And I think he's dead on, I strongly think most of those who are determined that their 'favorite' tools are the best ever made probably haven't used much else, if any; a little real experience quickly dampens that certainty. And for sure, NOBODY can say for sure what's "best" if for no other reason than there are too many 'favorites' for different reasons for that to be true. ??

---------------------------------------------------------

I'd say buy one that you know is going to last a lifetime, make accurate/consistent ammo, has a customer service that is phenomenal.The word "best" is subjective to say the least and I would never say the RCBS rockchucker supreme press is the best because I've never had to worry about using a different press (mine exceeds my expectations every time). I can say however RCBS is the "best" company I've ever had to deal with and they will have my business for a very long time......
Originally Posted by Reloader88
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Well, my wallet won out. I found a Lyman's Crusher 2 today, new in box at a pawn shop today for $70. Couldn't pass it up. Should work just fine.

I've got 2 Lyman presses, one's a Crusher that I bought 3 or 4 years ago, the other is a 'C' style from the late 70's and it's still going strong.

I had one problem with the Crusher, Lyman sent me a new part as soon as I called them.

Dale
Lee Classic,last one designed,so has the most features.

I was having problem with my Lee Challenger with it's pot metal linkage,since changed,and asked about the other presses,as RCBS was quite pricey in Canada. One guy replied,he had tried three looking for the one with the lest runout. He felt it was luck of the manufacturing draw rather than colour.Lyman was the lest.He ended up with a Co-Ax.

A simple test for presses,run the ram up to the top,then see how much sideways movement you get.That my friends is the wear.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
A simple test for presses,run the ram up to the top,then see how much sideways movement you get.That my friends is the wear.

With the Co-Ax any side to side movement is float which allows the shells in the case holder to self center.

The way to test runout on ammo loaded on a given press is to measure loaded rounds. How much the ram moves at the top of it's stroke is mostly irrelevant..........................DJ
I said wear,not run out.When you test the loaded rounds for run out,you are testing your prep,the brass,the dies,and maybe the press. If those first three are right,99 44/100% of the pressses will likely work fine.

A press is a simple machine,the two holes must be straight and line up.Since the sliding fit will the same for 1 1/4" as for a 5/8" the fit percentage of the diameter will be larger in the smaller ram,more slop.Deeper the hole for the ram, more bearing surface, less slop.Slop may not be all that bad,consider it as a self -alaigning feature.
Get the Rockchucker...It's the best...
I wasted 7 years of my life with a Rockchucker, before I spent the money and got a co-ax.

Now I have two co-ax presses and have designed a number of improvements.
nuther vote for co-ax

She sits right where the lee use to sit

[Linked Image]
Well, just to see if the Lee bashers knew what they were talking about I bought a Lee Challenger. Is it as finely finished as a press costing several hundred dollars more? No, of course not. Does it look like some sort of Rube Goldberg machine? Nope, disappointed again. It looks like a single stage reloading press.
But the proof of the pie is in the tasting. It turns out .223 ammo that has a 0.00-0.002 runout. I laugh all the way to the bank. smile
I started with a lee challenger press, and loaded 1000's of rounds with it, quality, accurate ammunition.

But the question was what is the best single stage press, and based on my experience of owning and using ~1/2 dozen different kinds of presses is the co-ax is the best.
"just to see if the Lee bashers knew what they were talking about I bought a Lee Challenger."

Lee's Challenger isn't on my bench but I wouldn't care if it was. Keep the large bolt that holds the two-part toggle block tight (as the instructions clear say) and the Challenger will do anything except - maybe - major case reforming. Few people do that so it doesn't matter.

"Best" of anything is relitive and largely a personal thing. If I had to replace my RCBS Rock Chucker tomorrow it would be with Lee's Classic Cast; it's the better press.

The Co-Ax is a good enough press but I don't care for the ergonomics so I wouldn't buy one if they cut the price in half.
I have used several presses and would say most were equal with each having its own pluses and minuses until I got the forster. There is NO comparison between this press and the others (including the rockchucker). Changing dies takes literally 1 second and it is built like a tank. I also currently have a Dillon 650 but unless you shoot one caliber alot (and I mean a lot) I wouldn't recommend one. Buy a forster and I promise you will never regret it. There is a reason you see other presses for sale in classifieds and never see a forster.
In my case, I was loading a whole lot of .223 ammo and a whole lot of 22-250 ammo so I bought the Lee so I could have a dedicated set up for the .223. I already had a RCBS press that I used only for 22-250. And another RCBS that I used for general reloading.
I don't think I could afford to spend several hundred dollars for a single cartridge dedicated press. But with the Challenger or any of the more modestly priced presses,I could.
"just to see if the Lee bashers knew what they were talking about I bought a Lee Challenger."

Lee's Challenger isn't on my bench but I wouldn't care if it was. Keep the large bolt that holds the two-part toggle block tight (as the instructions clear say) and the Challenger will do anything except - maybe - major case reforming. Few people do that so it doesn't matter.

Yeah the large bolt and two-part toggle block is the weak link of this press; I've broken several. Lee offers replacements CHEAP so it isn't an issue for me.

I can tell you, and I don't know if this is what one would call "major" case reforming, but I've necked 270 WCF brass up to 338-06 with no problem on mine, as well as 22-250 up to 6mm-250 (which I KNOW is not "major").

I bought the anniversary kit years ago when I started loading and nearly all the parts of that have been replaced... I think I still have the original funnel... and I had figured the "cheap" press would need it sooner rather than later but here I am, thousands of rounds reloaded, and other than the cheap toggles mentioned above I'm happy as can be. If I were to purchase a new one it would only be so that I could have 2 cartridges set up and running at the same time cuz this one ain't needing replacing!
"I don't know if this is what one would call "major" case reforming,.."

Expanding necks up or taking them down as you describe really isn't a press stressing task. I do consider making some of my best .22-250 and 6mm International cases from .35 Whelen/.30-06 to be major case reforming and that MIGHT be more than I would ask of a Challenger press! wink
I sure like the Redding Big Boss II with the taller opening and the spent primer tube system. My RCBS Rockchucker is 32 years old and as soon as I wear it out I am buying a BB-II (or by then maybe it will be a BB-III or BB-IV......)
Imho about any of the single stage presses put out there by a reputable company is pretty well suited for reloading ammo. Now if you are trying to form 22 hornet cases out of 50cal brass then something like a rockchucker is probably the way to go. Seriously for years I used an old lyman spartan c press I bought from a dorm mate in college for $10 and did fine. I have had for the past 25 years a RCBS reloader special and it has been just great. I do like the compound leverage presses better as to taking much less effort but the old ones are fine. My brother still has my old spartan and uses it still.
© 24hourcampfire