Home
Posted By: boilerpig1 Resizing 30-06 to 35 Whelen - 09/18/04
Sirs, I plan on getting some Lupua 30-06 new brass for reloading a 30-06 (DUH !). Can I use the once fired brass to reload for a 35 Whelen ? Can I just re-size the neck or is there something I'm missing ? Will iI need to fireform this brass before it will shoot safely in the 35 ? Where can I find details on fireforming that will make sense to a beginner. I plan on getting a Nosler reload manual this weekend and it might explain some of this. I have found nothing in the Lyman or Speer books.

Thankyou....BP
Get a tapered expander and lube the inside of the necks prior to sizing. I would use new brass. No reason to shoot it in the 06 prior to sizing to 35 cal. I would fireform the cases in the Whelen before getting into serious load development. Seat the bullet hard into the lands and use a medium load of one of the faster burning powders listed for the Whelen. Other methods will work but this will let you get a preliminary scope adjustment, some good trigger time and let you get use to your new rifle.Rick.
Sure, but why? You can buy new, unfired .35 Whelen brass for less than $30/100 from Graf or Midway. Why go to the trouble of reforming, particularly if you're buying brass anyway?
Thanks for the replies. Sorry it took so long for me to reply.
Muledeer, The reason I was asking about resizing the 30-06 brass is because a relative has 200 new cases he doesn't want. He also gave me some Lee pistol reload equipment. Not sure what I'm going to do with that. I have a '06 I plan to reload for and the cases will not go to waste. I was just looking at all my options.

Thanks Again, BP...
I never bought a single 35 whelen case for my whelen, all from necked up -06 or .270 (270's have to be trimmed, and sometimes crumple).

Both Lee and Redding have tapered expanders. Use a q-tip to lube the inside of the neck, and one pass will open them right up. I use Lee case lube, as it is water and not oil based, so no fear of contaminating the case with oil.

Very simply operation, with a tapered expander and a lubed neck, there isn't that much resistance. If the brass has been fired, you might want to neck aneal, but new brass should open right up with no cracking.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Resizing 30-06 to 35 Whelen - 09/23/04
458 nailed it best. Also, you can use inexpensive jacketed pistol bullets for fireforming. The best thing to do is buy the Remington core Lokt bullets in bulk from Midway. They shoot exceptionally accurate and are great for deer. Flinch
Posted By: Rolly Re: Resizing 30-06 to 35 Whelen - 09/23/04
I usually take 30-06 cases and run them first up into my 338 dies and then take 'em to the 35 whelen next as the final step. The intermediate step up probably isn't necessary but I feel better about it and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
30-'06 cases are easily turned into 35 Whelen cases. I've been doing it for about 15 years with no problems. If you have a good supply of '06 brass, it makes perfect sense to make up some Whelens. I have used RCBS 35 Whelen dies and Imperial Sizing Die Wax with new and fired brass with excellent results. I lube the inside of the case necks. After sizing, I run the cases through the tumbler. I have never had to fireform cases for my Remington 700, just run them through the die, load and shoot. Be sure to keep a check on case length.
Rolly

Do you mean .338-06 dies for your intermediate step? I'm going to try making some .35 Whelen cases from some Remington .30-06 cases I have. I've never done this before so I'm kinda cautious. Thanks...Bill.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Resizing 30-06 to 35 Whelen - 10/05/04
Model70man. I use just regular 338 Winchester Mag. dies and shove the 30-06 up into the die far enough to have the expander ball open the case mouth up and then withdraw the case. I suppose one could just use the expander from the 338 and put it in the 35 Whelen die too and use that for the intermediate step if ya wanted.

In essence all you are using is the expander ball to take the case neck up to 338 as an intermediate step. Hope that explaination helps.
Rolly

Thanks! I have .338 Win. Mag dies but didn't have the .338-06. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow. I appreciate your help. Bill.
Unless your 338 win mag dies have a tapered expander, which they likely don't, you'll probably do more damage by running the -06 brass through them first then just running them through a 35 whelen die with a tapered expander. I've litterly opened up 100's of -06 cases to 35 whelen, and so long as you lube the inside of the neck, you'll never loose a case. 270's and 280's can be troublesome, but the -06 will open up every time.
I have had the same experience as 458 Lott. With the proper expander, it's a no-brainer for 30-06 to 35 Whelen, as long as the inside of the neck is lubed.

I put lube on a round nylon brush for this, and then clean the cased in a vibrator before loading.

dww
Posted By: Rolly Re: Resizing 30-06 to 35 Whelen - 10/06/04
Gosh, guys, I really am not lieing about this. I have only done 30-40 or so cases but using the 338 as a mid-sized die worked fine for me.
© 24hourcampfire