Home
Posted By: Taconic11 Barnes 130 grain TTSX in 308 - 08/11/11
I have RL15,H335,TAC,3031&4320 on hand. Which one of these powders should I start with and about what charge?
IIRC, my .308 shot those bullets best with Varget, although it did pretty will with RL-15. I'll have to check my data when I get home from the office. The best 150 gr. group was with 45 gr. H4895.

DF
Check on line at the Barnes site for data. For the 130 TSX, their accuracy load is Varget, 47,5 gr. @ 2,946 fps and the max of 52 gr. @ 3,159 fps. That load is 106% case capacity, probably meaning some compression. I don't remember that being a problem.

TTSX loads should be about the same, although I didn't see that one listed.

DF
I just worked up a load for my .308 using the 130 TTSX using 50 grains of Varget. Be advised it is a compressed load, but it shoots very, very well.
Back to the OP, I think you could use any of those powders. Question is, are you looking for a powder that will operate a .308, or for the most efficient, most accurate load available? Of the powders listed, I have personally used 3031 and RL-15 and they did OK.

RKR
Never loaded any Barnes bullets, so I don't know if they reach high pressure quicker or not. I'm aware of the Barnes load data, but don't own the powders that they recommend. I've shot plenty of 125 BT's with RL-10x & RL-15. Just looking to try some out, but accuracy is always the goal.
I find Varget produce nice loads with excellent accuracy in .308s at close on 46 grains with 130s.
I think the current series of Barnes X bullets with their bands are OK on pressure build up, unlike the original X bullets.

With that selection of powder, I'd probably run with RL-15 until I could pick up a pound of Varget.

DF
TAC would be my first pick, second would be TAC.

4 shots with 130gr TTSX and a healthy does of TAC

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barnes 130 grain TTSX in 308 - 08/11/11
thats the biggest penny I ever saw....
You should see my nuts....
Thanks...but nooooooooo........ eek

I now own a 1 in 8 twist .223.....havent shot it yet...I'm skeered of it... wink
Sweet Jesus, next thing I know Bob will get a football pick and JO will post something worthwhile...
Yeah, well,don't hold your breath....its a tikka.....
I'm going for a whiskey, enjoy your night....
grin
Originally Posted by Steelhead
TAC would be my first pick, second would be TAC.

4 shots with 130gr TTSX and a healthy does of TAC

[Linked Image]

Steelhead,

That's good info. I have TAC for my .223, just never used it in my .308. If it shoots like that, then the OP may want to give it a whirl. Me, too.

BTW, what's the load?

DF
48.5grs TAC
CCI 200
130gr TTSX
Lapua Brass
OAL 2.76
3085fps
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah, well,don't hold your breath....its a tikka.....

laugh
I've read that TAC is formulated to cut down on fouling, including copper fouling. Have you noticed it shooting cleaner than others?

DF
WOW---I can be another tac supporter...it worked good in my 308 bar with the 130 ttsx and burned pretty clean to boot.
© 24hourcampfire