Home
Ok fellas, what powder have you had the best results with using this bullet, thanks in advance.
47grs RE15 is what I use with the 155AMAX, try it with the 150SST, too.
I run 47 gr. RE-15 for hornady 150 gr. interlocks also, so it should be golden in the sst. Might want to start at around 45 and work up and see what kind of groups you get with each charge weight.
Well, sounds like RE-15 is a good candidate, anyone else have any other powder suggestions?
Varget is good as well. I bet a good portion of 308 shooters use either RL-15 or Varget.

Ramshot Tac is also nice. One big advantage of TAC (at least for me) is that I can't really get stick powders to throw consistantly enough from my RCBS measure to not weigh or trickle up each charge. TAC is a ball powder and meters very well for me. So if I was going to do lots of shooting I might choose TAC for just that reason.

I found 150g 30cal SSTs to be very accurate, but fairly soft bullets.
I can't really get stick powders to throw consistantly enough from my RCBS measure to not weigh or trickle up each charge.

Are you shooting well past 300 yards?
Originally Posted by mathman
I can't really get stick powders to throw consistantly enough from my RCBS measure to not weigh or trickle up each charge.

Are you shooting well past 300 yards?

Yes
Originally Posted by noKnees
Varget is good as well. I bet a good portion of 308 shooters use either RL-15 or Varget.

Ramshot Tac is also nice. One big advantage of TAC (at least for me) is that I can't really get stick powders to throw consistantly enough from my RCBS measure to not weigh or trickle up each charge. TAC is a ball powder and meters very well for me. So if I was going to do lots of shooting I might choose TAC for just that reason.

Varget sux in my 308s.
Originally Posted by gorskij
Originally Posted by noKnees

Varget sux in my 308s.

Thought I was the only one. Watch out, some will say if your 308 doesn't like varget something is wrong with it. whistle. Mine does much better with the other for some reason. Kind of gave up on the V......
You two and your Varget problems. grin

A 308 that won't shoot Varget pretty well is a rare thing, but I guess they exist. Hell, someone I respect (and they know what they're doing too) actually came across a 270 that wouldn't perform with H4831. There's a unicorn for you! laugh
I found varget worked well for the 180's, but the lighter weights wouldn't get me the speed that 4895 will.
At least it works in my 708. 150NBTs on right. grin
[Linked Image]
You two and your Varget problems. grin

A 308 that won't shoot Varget pretty well is a rare thing, but I guess they exist. Hell, someone I respect (and they know what they're doing too) actually came across a 270 that wouldn't perform with H4831. There's a unicorn for you! laugh

What pisses me off about the varget is I've loaded for 2 different friends rifles and they shoot bug holes with it. One is a pre 64 model 70 fwt and the other was a savage (of all things). The savage shot better than both of my 308 bolt guns so it wasn't a good thing mad Heck, I'm willing to give it another try with my pre 64 model 100 308. I'm getting weird results with the chronograph with that rifle while using RE 15. Kind of like hondo's 22" kreiger. Very fast readings with the chrono for the amount of powder I'm using. confused
After watching a friend screw around with one, Model 100 Winchesters are on my $%!& list. So are Model 88's because they remind me of the 100. crazy
Loaded 25 rounds of 150gr BTips over 45.5gr of TAC. This load is good for a consistant 1 moa but I loaded 5 rounds of 150 SSTs over the same powder charge for fowlers and got < 0.5moa from the SSTs. Like I said, I was going to use them for fowlers but whe the first 2 pretty much went into the same hole I coundn't stop and shot all five for said group. I would probly rethink my BTip load but I shot a Bobcat once with an SST and you'd swear he swollowed a hand grenade. Too soft for me.
Not SSTs but I run 47 grain Varget with 150 grain accubond, 150 hornady sp, and 150 grain ballistic tip. 20 inch bbl 308 and velocities run around 2700 fps. accuracy is excellent.
Thanks a lot fellas, appreciate it.
You two and your Varget problems.

A 308 that won't shoot Varget pretty well is a rare thing, but I guess they exist. Hell, someone I respect (and they know what they're doing too) actually came across a 270 that wouldn't perform with H4831. There's a unicorn for you!

My .308 does not like Varget either. Settled on 4985, but may give RE-15 a go.

I load for friend that has a sucks that loves the 150 SST and H-380.
My .308 does not like Varget either.

Do you recall which primers you tried?
CCI Large Rifle, CCI Benchrest, and Remington.
I usually have good luck with those and Varget. It's the WLR that acts "hot" with Varget in the 308 for me.
I usually have good luck with those and Varget. It's the WLR that acts "hot" with Varget in the 308 for me.
Funny, I was planning on using WLR primers, could you elaborate on what you mean by them acting "hot" specifically?
When working up loads they get pretty flat well before typical top charge levels. The accuracy at top velocity isn't as consistent as what I get with standard force CCI and Federals either.
When working up loads they get pretty flat well before typical top charge levels. The accuracy at top velocity isn't as consistent as what I get with standard force CCI and Federals either.
Noted, thanks mathman.
If I get the time I may revisit the WLR/Varget thing in some newer rifles I've acquired since I established my preference a while back. New component lots too.

Components do change. I have two lots of RL15 that are different densities. On the same setting of my Redding BR30 one throws 44 grains and another throws 45.5 grains. My chrono is on the fritz, so I haven't compared what two like volume, different weight charges will do.
My .308 does not like Varget either.

Do you recall which primers you tried?

The latest loads were with CCIBR & Win brass, did do a little informal test a couple years ago with 9 1/2 & rem brass vs RE15, RE15 won that test, much more accurate. That was with 168MKs, btw.
did do a little informal test

Which was what?
FWIW with the sst's...be aware they leave pretty big holes and bloodshot meat is not uncommon...even at 308 speeds. If you hunt where a deer can get to other hunters that may not be a bad thing. But, the sst's I've used become "very active" on impact.
did do a little informal test

Which was what?

Just ONE 3 shot group with each load, like I said, little informal test, Varget hasnt let me down yet, it still sucks in my 308s today.
Originally Posted by kraky111
FWIW with the sst's...be aware they leave pretty big holes and bloodshot meat is not uncommon...even at 308 speeds. If you hunt where a deer can get to other hunters that may not be a bad thing. But, the sst's I've used become "very active" on impact.
Our property is landlocked by other hunting parties properties who aren't too proud to steal a deer, and I will be using mid-range loads as well, thanks for the heads up though.
© 24hourcampfire