Home
I'll start this post admitting that I am a hunter first and foremost and not into target competition or extreme long range ballistic gack, but like most others on this forum, I like a really accurate hunting load. This post is for those who want a really good flat shooting and accurate 308 win load. Try 53.5 gr of Hodgon's CFE-223 with the 130 gr Barnes TTSX. I used Hornady brass and BR-2 primers, seated to 2.810" and got the best 5 shot group I have ever gotten with this 7-2# scoped, sporter hunting rifle. My tripod fell apart on me last weekend so I wasn't able to chrony, but per Hodgdon's data it should be at least 3150 fps in my 23" barrel. I've shot quite a few 130, 150 and 165 gr loads through this rifle - and it is a very consistent 1-1.25" rifle with just about anything you put in it, with a couple of pet loads getting down less than 0.75" (3 shot groups). Yesterday, I decided that the 130 gr TTSX was it with this rifle this year and shot a very nice 5 shot group with the above load using WW brass. For some reason, this gun just seems to like Hornady brass so today I tried the same load only using Horn and was very pleased to see two straight 5 shot groups less than 0.50". Best this gun has ever done, and the consistency and repeatability is that confidence booster we all like. If you are looking for a good deer (or elk for that matter) load, give it a try. I bet it will work for you too.
blu,
Just wondering what the load density was with 53.5? Compressed or not? Also, did you crimp them?
Thanks
This load if compressed at all is only very minimally compressed, and I did not crimp. Feed fine in my Rem 700 Short Action.
© 24hourcampfire