Home
What are the suggested powders for 100 grain bullets in the 260? Read through the 260 thread and didn't find much info for the smaller bullets and the Barnes website doesn't show data for the 100gr. Trying to scrounge components so I can finally get some use out of my press.
Always heard that 4064 was the ticket for speed. Most things around that burn rate should be good. I ran H4350 with 100's and it shot well.
It wouldn't hurt anything to use the data for the 110 gr Banded Solid out of the #4 manual, looks like H-4350 is the recommended powder.

.260 Remington (Barnes Reloading Manual #4)

Warning! Notes: case: R-P; case trim length: 2.025"; twist rate: 1:9"; primer: Fed GM210M; barrel length: 24"; barrel: Wiseman; maximum loads should be used with caution

110 Barnes Banded Solid Spitzer Hodgdon H-4350 41.5 2830
Remarks: minimum; COAL: 2.750"; most accurate load

110 Barnes Banded Solid Spitzer Hodgdon H-4350 45.5 3058
Remarks: maximum; COAL: 2.750"; most accurate load
Thanks guys. Going to the store today, will grab some 4350 if they have it in stock.
Top velocity I found in mine for a 100 grain bullet was 4064....

I have NOT tried a Barnes 100 Grain TTSX out of mine...

but with 100 grain
1. Nosler Ballistic Tips
2. Nosler Partitions
3. Sierra HPs
4. Hornady SPs
5. Hornady A Max

4064 gives me 3350 fps out of a 22 inch barreled Ruger... faster out of a 26 inch barreled Model 700 Varmint rifle..

my load was developed before Nosler came out with their manual listing the 260... my load of 4064 is 1/2 grain higher than theirs lists...
The 4350s, 4895s, RE15, Ramshot Hunter, and Ramshot Big Game all look pretty good for velocity. All show 75-100 more fps than 4064.
I have had some pretty good results with Benchmark and 4064.
If I had one, and I don't, I'd give RL-17 a work out.

DF
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I have had some pretty good results with Benchmark and 4064.

I don't hear much about Benchmark or IMR 3031 although I'll see them in a manual sometimes. Anyone care to share their experiences?

I know they're a bit fast but I'm not looking for top velocities. Quickload shows nodes w the 100 TTSX at 2785 (34.5g) and 2935 (37g), works for me. 37g gives 2810 with the 123 SST, that's with 3031. Low recoil, good case fill and pressure, looks good on paper.

I have the slower powders on hand for full power loads.
Sorry I can't help you with a light load for Benchmark, I run mine pretty hard with 95 VMAX and 100 BT's
Hunter works well for light bullets in the 260. If shooting Benchmark, max will be somewhere between 40-41 grains. I like both powders for 100's and 120's.
H4350 is supposed to be a great 260 powder.
41.0 Benchmark makes the ttsx happy, happy, happy. I shot a whitetail buck with that load last year. Shoots great and fast.
Originally Posted by KenMi
41.0 Benchmark makes the ttsx happy, happy, happy. I shot a whitetail buck with that load last year. Shoots great and fast.

smile Thanks. Read a two year old post by Seafire saying Benchmark was temperamental. That and 3031 look like tweener powders, useful for 250 Savage to 257 Roberts +P velocity which is all I need for the smallish deer in the PNW woods.
I am running H414 with 100 gr Nosler BT's out of a 22 in barrel at 3275 FPS. The load is max shown in Nosler #5 manual.

Buddy is running the same load in a 20 barrel and getting 3150 FPS.
Yeah, there was some info posted a while back about loads popping primers using Benchmark and Hodgdons data for the VMax bullets.

I think it was one of a few different reasons:

Thicker brass used
Different primers
Seating depth: Because of the shape of the Vmax
or possibly a fast lot of powder, but never heard any other info like that about Benchmark.
Benchmark is good stuff. If there was a problem popping primers, I'd be willing to bet it was your basic overload.
'15 good in my Faux with 95's, 108's, and 120TTSX...
[Linked Image]

H4350 works great in mine!
Great info, would be even more usefull if any of the local shops had powder in stock. Not looking great to get anything worked up before hunting season. Will keep checking the local places and hopefully catch something on the shelf.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Benchmark is good stuff. If there was a problem popping primers, I'd be willing to bet it was your basic overload.

actually it happened to me and I reported it...

it was right out of Hodgdon's manuals and reloader pamphlets, and they still publish it... and it was with a 95 gr V Max...
the loads were worked up in 1/2 grain increments...

I have only experienced it with THAT bullet, but I experienced it in 5 different rifles.....chambered in 260 Rem..

each time Benchmark pressure spiked...

I use it in plenty of other cartridges, but I don't use it with that 95 grain V Max.. which has never been real accurate in any of my rifles either, one in 8 or one in 9 twists...

I use it frequently with the 120 grain Ballistic Tip and never ever an issue, and these incidents were all using commercial brass.. not military....
Yeah, I did actually notice pressure in the vmax before the ttsx, but never got to loose or popped primers. The ttsx showed no signs even at max loads. That vmax is shaped funny, so that's the only thing I can think of. I'm not buying any more for mine. If I want another varmint or paper bullet I will just get a similar weight in another brand.
© 24hourcampfire