Home
Posted By: Bryant 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/13/13
Getting a 223AI soon. I was planning on using 75 gn amax as an all around target/hunting bullet but as you know there are none to be bought and Hornady has stopped making them temporarily.

Whats your choice for a 223 deer bullet. 60 partition, Barnes tsx, 65 sierra game king?

barnes and expensive partitions are twice as expensive as the sierras.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/13/13
I can't speak for the bullets you listed as I don't have on game experience yet. I have used the 64 grain WW PowerPoint quite a bit on hogs and deer and it has worked well. I've been wanting to try the 65 Sierra you mention but was not able to locate any the last time I bought bullets. I do know people who have used it and recommend it.

Ill be watching this thread as I am interested in your question as well.
Posted By: laker Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/13/13
55 grain hornady soft point has worked for me. If you can get ahold of noslers new controlled expansion bullet I'd give those a try. Can't remember what grain they are.
Posted By: colodog Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/13/13
Not a legal caliber for me so I have no experience with one but you might give a look to----> link
You might want to pm Steelhead. Methinks he has beaucoup experience with just this thing. wink
Posted By: Seafire Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/13/13
old school, but the 63 grain Sierra SMP and the 70 grain Speer SMP had been pulling the rug out from underneath deer of all sizes way since they were introduced 40 years ago or more...

I can vouch for either one....

and both will even shoot in 1 in 14 twists...
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/13/13
First of all, make sure the barrel twist will stabilize a 75 grain bullet. If it will, the A-Max should work fine.

I took one deer with a 55 gr. Remington soft nosed bullet out of a 22-250, one with a Speer 70 grain Semi-Spitzer out of a 22-250 and one with a Speer 70 grain Semi-Spitzer out of a 222.
I would use a 60gn Partition without hesitation if you are going 22cal.
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
If your rifle is a fast twist the 62gr. TTSX.

If it isn't the 60 gr. Hornady, the 53gr. TSX, and the 55gr. TTSX are pretty slick [bleep]' Rick.

Travis
I haven't shot a Barnes bullet in any of my rifles.. But the others listed have been doing the job for years: 63 gr. Serria, 64 gr. WW, 70 gr. Speer, 60 gr. part., also have dropped numerous deer with 50 gr. Blitzking, 55 gr. Serria HPBT, and the old 55 gr. Hornady..
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
Is it legal, ethical or moral to shoot deer with a .22cf? shocked

grin
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
Only experience I have is with the partition. No problems. Hard to believe the size of the wound channel from that little bullet.
Posted By: ol_skool Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Is it legal, ethical or moral to shoot deer with a .22cf? shocked grin

Search this topic and make up your own mind.

Just because a state allows it doesn't mean it's ethical. Oregon does, but I would never go after an Eastside Muley with a 22. Coastal Blacktail where I live, 60gr NPT or a 64gr Nosler Bonded... maybe, I'm not sure yet.
Posted By: laker Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
Originally Posted by ol_skool
Is it legal, ethical or moral to shoot deer with a .22cf? shocked grin

Just because a state allows it doesn't mean it's ethical. Oregon does, but I would never go after an Eastside Muley with a 22. Coastal Blacktail where I live, 60gr NPT or a 64gr Nosler Bonded... maybe, I'm not sure yet.

Have you tried it? What turned you off on using a .22 cal? Ive had some of my quickest kills with .22 cals
Originally Posted by ol_skool

Just because a state allows it doesn't mean it's ethical. I would never go after an Eastside Muley with a 22.

I love this stuff.....22-250

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
.223... not deer though....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: laker Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
Ingwe awesome pictures with the dogs.
.223AI......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by laker
Ingwe awesome pictures with the dogs.

Thanks...that cow dog was my constant companion for 15 years.....she didnt miss out on much.
Posted By: aheider Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
[quote=ol_skool]

Just because a state allows it doesn't mean it's ethical. I would never go after an Eastside Muley with a 22.

You kind of baited the new guy in..... laugh
Leave me alone!

I haven't got to do that in awhile..... wink
Posted By: aheider Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
It was funny! Hopefully my daughter is going to get to try out the 64 bonded on a blacktail buck in about a month. I am sure it will work perfect.

Nice. You win!

Steve
Oregon
Originally Posted by laker
Have you tried it? What turned you off on using a .22 cal? Ive had some of my quickest kills with .22 cals

I have not, so for blacktail I'm not sure, as I stated, whether or not I care use it. I have 60gr NPT and 64gr Nosler Bonded in inventory, but it's not a priority so I haven't worked up loads for it.

I keep wondering why would I bother? Is there a good reason to go after deer with a 22 instead of something else? I'm willing to listen...

Steve
Oregon
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
[Linked Image]

Range: 252 yards

Bullet: Hornady 45 grain Spire Point

Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Distance traveled after the shot: Around 6 to 8 feet
.223AI 62 gr TTSX 9pt 135yds

[Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

Dink 4pt .223AI 53gr TSX 60yds
Exit
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TakeEm Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/14/13
53TSX, 60 Horn, 60 Part where I'd look. Heck, I've whacked a couple with a .223 55 Blitzking too, CNS shots though. Next one I'm going to try the boiler room, which I'm sure will be fine.
Posted By: Bryant Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/15/13
Is a 1-8 twist barrel. I see 70 tsx in stock at several places I think I may try them.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/15/13
Hard going away and downhill, bullet went in behind the shoulder, up through the chest and into the neck and followed the length of the spin before it exited just about dead center between the eyes.

70gr TSX, 223AI

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
70 Speer for me.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
Awesome pictures. I shot a couple deer in NY with the 52 grain Speer HP out of a 22-250 over old apple orchards during the Winter. Never had a deer step away. Granted, I took perfect shots, but they were deadly when placed on point.
53 gr Sierra worked for me in a 220 Swift. No drama.
Like everone elese ive used a mess of 22 cal bullets , but the best for me has been the 70 gr. Speer. Never used the barnes in22. I built a fast 22-250 for the 62's but havent got around to shooting it yet.

Scott I love that pic....that's a thick ole buck.

Posted By: shootem Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
SPS still has 62 boxes of 64gr Bonded overruns as we speak.
Posted By: RWE Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
50 gr sierra from a 222.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here's a spike.

No "before" pic

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
Stunt shooter.....

The 2 for 1 shot is skookum though.... grin
Posted By: RWE Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
Stunt shooter.....

The 2 for 1 shot is skookum though.... grin

I'm honored you remember.

I'll see if I can duplicate it this year with the Colt or the 54 ML.

Going full thickness this time; none of that "rip their neck open and watch blood spray everywhere" business....
Be careful not to over penetrate ...you might get another double...
To those shooting 22 caliber barnes bullets at deer where do you aim?

Boradside lung shot? or would you rather just shoot straight into the shoulder and drop them right there?
You can do either one. Aim at any spot you would with a bigger, more conventional rifle. If anything, my lung shot deer with the little Barnes traveled noticeably less distance than the same shot with a conventional cnc bullet in a big bore.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/16/13
I'm a shoulder shooter when I can get it.
Thanks for the heads up. Snagged some 64 gr bonded.

Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/17/13
When using a bonded or if using a mono, I'd go for shoulders - might enhance expansion/frontal diameter all the more vs. a lung shot. Never had a lung shot deer go more than about 60 yds on max.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/17/13
Barnes TSX-70 on top of BLC-2
Posted By: beretzs Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
Thanks for the heads up. Snagged some 64 gr bonded.

Those would be what I would run if I were shooting deer with my 22-250..
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/18/13
Have not really decided on which bullet I want to try on my first experience with a .22 on a deer. The only .22 that I have that will spin the bullets I want to try is a plain vanilla .223. At the moment I have pretty good loads worked up with the 62 gr ttsx, 64 gr nosler and the 60 gr nosler partition. I guess I'll decide when the time gets here.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/19/13
I've only shot 1 deer with a .22cf.
I used a .223 with 53 grain TSX's can't remember velocity seems 3300?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 22 cal bullets for deer - 09/22/13
Originally Posted by Seafire
old school, but the 63 grain Sierra SMP and the 70 grain Speer SMP had been pulling the rug out from underneath deer of all sizes way since they were introduced 40 years ago or more...

I can vouch for either one....

and both will even shoot in 1 in 14 twists...

I've used 70gr Speers in a few 22/250s with 14" bbls. All shot well and all deer died.

Shot them again in another 22/250 for the first time the other day. 1st group 1" @ 100yds. Also have some 60gr Parttions and 52gr TSX that are going to be tried out.
© 24hourcampfire