Home
Posted By: chesterwy TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/08/13
Gents, I have an excellent load for my 25-06 using 100 grain barnes TTSX. I was able to find a great buy on some 100 grain TSX bullets , and was wondering if any of you have done side by side comparisons between the two? I certainly don't expect them to be exactly the same, but I would expect they'd at least shoot similar to each other.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/08/13
My 2 cents, I would stick with the TTSX. I tried the 100 TSX in a 257 Wby. Very accurate, no complaints there. Shot 3 antelope with them. Lopes usually fold where they stand when hit good. With the TSX, there was no reaction to the shot, 2 just stood there and one ran about 50 yards. All 3 were hit broadside behind the shoulder. They all died, just not what I was used to with antelope.

There wasn't a whole lot of internal damage, and the exit hole wasn't all that impressive. Granted, I don't shoot bone on lopes if I can avoid it. I am sure others will chime in here soon calling me an idiot for not busting shoulders. I don't see a point doing it with antelope, since there isn't much cover for them to run off into.

I did shoot the TTSX in a 308 Norma Mag, used it on antelope, and it was a dramatic difference. Those goats dropped at the shot, internal damage was more like a C&C bullet and none of the 4 took a single step. All but one were hit broadside, behind the shoulder. Not the best comparison in regard to caliber. Some state that the smaller caliber TSX need to hit bone to show better expansion.
Posted By: ingwe Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/08/13
I never experienced a failure to open on a TSX but enough guys here that I actually listen to and trust, could provide proof that they had experienced failures, so I switched to TTSXs and have never had an issue, nor have I heard of any issues out of the choir of trustworthy naysayers...
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/08/13
I haven't tried the TTSX in my .243, yet.

I'm still using up my TSXs, and having ordered more, I'll be using them at least another year.

I have not had one not kill a deer. Nor have I failed to get an exit, even at the rather close ranges I get to shoot deer, deliberately going for bone, which is turning out to be a different story with a typical C&C bullet in that cartridge.

Right now, and in the .243, the only thing I would consider other than the TSX would be a TTSX or either a 95 or 100 grain Partition, and I fully intend to give at the TTSX a try and pick the most accurate one between the two (TSX or TTSX).
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/09/13
I have used TSX for years with no problem but they were all 308 cal and above. There are stories of TSX not opening but as far as I have heard, they were all with smaller diameters. I think the TTSX gives more reliable expansion and I am switching over as I run out of TSX. If I had a bunch of TSX (and I do) I would certainly use them up.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/09/13
My 25-06 is being a picky bitch about giving me both the velocity and groups that I want with both the TTSX and the TSX 100s. Have killed quite a few deer with 243s and both TSX and TTSX and 270s with TSX and TTSX. I couldn't see the slightest difference in performance. Same with calibers further away from 25-06. For my money, all the holes I've made and seen in deer with X, TSX and TTSX bullets look the same. No way would I try to guess caliber, much less X or TSX or TTSX based on looking at the wound.

I shot a 200 lb+ doe a few weeks ago with a .223 and a TSX 53 grain. The bullet passed through the muscle of the off side shoulder on the way out (no bone) and made a 3 inch hole. More or less what I have seen out of my 300 WM.

As far as loading differences, you have to expect seating depth differences to get accuracy. You may not have to seat different, but expect it. Otherwise I don't remember and powder/charge weight differences necessary for any of the rifles I have used both in.
Posted By: Fotis Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/10/13
TTSX all the way. Never had a failure with them or seen one.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
I tried a 168 TSX bullet on a hog hunt in Georgia. Shot was approximately 130ish yards? The pig was around 125lbs. At the shot the guide said the pig hunched up and ran off into the palmettos. I put the crosshairs on the shoulder of the hog as he quartered to the right. We found bone shards and and a little blood. Followed the on and off blood trail for a good 1 1/2 until it was lost it and dark approached. It was my only experience with the TSX and could have happened with any other bullet but it put me off of the TSX enough to not use it again! I did buy some TTSX's for my 7mm-08 so hoping the results on game is better than that one pig.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
Originally Posted by Esox357
I tried a 168 TSX bullet on a hog hunt in Georgia. Shot was approximately 130ish yards? Th
what caliber? in 308, 30/06 i wouldnt go higher than a 130 TTSX and drive as fast as possible
Posted By: Fotis Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
Even with a 308 shooting the 168 at 2700 fps and an impact velocity of over 2500 fps.......

That should have worked.....
Posted By: Fotis Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
so about 2800 fps muzzle 2600 impact........

that's bad business.
How so?
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
I can see why you would question a bullet's effectiveness after losing the first animal you shot with one but 1 animal certainly doesn't make a trend. My experience with them has been excellent over the last 25 years on game from warthogs to elk and calibers from 223 to 375. Probably 75 head of game with the vast majority DRT. YMMV.
Your correct blacktailer, but I was not impressed on a "pay" hunt to lose the only shot I had.

I decided to try the Barnes TSX for the first time since they shot incredibly well (3 touching at 100yards cloverleaf configuration).

But decided to jump back to the 165 Hornady BTSP and Nosler Ballistic Tips which I have yet to not find an animal. The blood trail and bone fragments tend to make me think I hit him high. But the blood trail/lack of blood appeared the bullet had "penciled" through like a FMJ would?

I'm hoping the TTSX will prove to be better but think I will stick with Nosler Partitions and Hornady bullets in the 06.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
No flies on either of those.
Posted By: buffybr Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/11/13
I had excellent performance on two African hunts with TSX bullets in my .375 RUM. The first hunt with 300 gr bullets and the second hunt with 270 gr TSX bullets.

I also had excellent performance with 168 gr TSX bullets from my .300 Weatherby on 3 Texas exotics and one Montana bull elk. Just before I went to South Africa in 2012 I tried 168 gr TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby. They grouped slightly tighter than the 168 gr TSX bullets, so I took them on that trip. They also performed superbly on that hunt as another one did on this years bull elk.

That made 10 for 10 one shot DRT kills with my .300 Weatherby and 168 gr TSX/TTSX bullets. I can't do better than that.
Posted By: DAMARA Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/12/13
their is a 110 TTSX in .308 that has me wondering what i could launch it out of my 308 win....

im thinking 3300 potentially and im betting it would work well...only issue is the BC sucks so it would be a shorter range load.... for woods hunting inside of 200 yards or so it might create quite an impact with that frontal area at that speed
Posted By: Esox357 Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/12/13
I know some guys swear by the TTSX 130 grain out of a .308 at 3000 fps?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/15/13
Originally Posted by DAMARA
their is a 110 TTSX in .308 that has me wondering what i could launch it out of my 308 win....

im thinking 3300 potentially and im betting it would work well...only issue is the BC sucks so it would be a shorter range load.... for woods hunting inside of 200 yards or so it might create quite an impact with that frontal area at that speed

================================================================

Barnes load data show two loads for the 308win fastest is upper 3500 using A-2230 powder.
3511 fps with varget being more accurate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

130 barnes load over 3200fps.
Posted By: CRS Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/15/13
Unless you want to play with the TSX. This:
I have an excellent load for my 25-06 using 100 grain barnes TTSX

I have used TSX's in 22, 270, & 338. I am slowly converting over to the TTSX as I run out of TSX's. I have never experienced the "failure" that others have. But the tip certainly can't hurt.
Posted By: troutslayer Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Gents, I have an excellent load for my 25-06 using 100 grain barnes TTSX. I was able to find a great buy on some 100 grain TSX bullets , and was wondering if any of you have done side by side comparisons between the two? I certainly don't expect them to be exactly the same, but I would expect they'd at least shoot similar to each other.

How about telling us the load?
Posted By: Fotis Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/17/13
Originally Posted by Esox357
How so?

Because it hit with good speed and yet did not expand
Posted By: BWalker Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/20/13
The 100 TSX is very problematic in my book. I have shot more than a few animals with them and the either die right now or run luck hell with little internal damage.
I would go with the TTSX for sure.
Posted By: imgoofy Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/21/13
An 80 grain TTSX is my go to bullet in front of Ramshot Hunter running 3415 fps out of my 243 Win. The deer and antelope don't like this combination so much!

I've also got a 180 grain TSX load for my 300 WM and working on a 168 grain TTSX load. One of these two will be accompanying me to South Africa in June along with my 375 H&H shooting 300 grain TSX bullets.

Needless to say, both myself and my rifles like the Barnes TSX/TTSX bullets and their performance.
Posted By: NoomaScout Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/26/13
I have used TSX and TTSX in .223 Rem, .270 Win and ,280 Rem. I have had some animals drop dead on the spot, some run off that needed to be tracked and some never found. My .223 puts the hurt on with either one, my .270 Win likes the TSX and my .280 Rem likes the TTSX. Each have put food on the table if I do my part.
Posted By: maksmith Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/27/13
Went to South Africa this past June. But 18 months before that I had worked up loads for my .338 (225gr TTSX@2800fps) and my Sons 7m-08 (140gr TSX@2800 fps)
We both did a whole lot of practice shooting, from sticks, prone, kneeling, standing you name it. We wanted to be proficient. I am glad we practiced a bunch. My Son shot 5 animals with his 7m-08, all but the Kudu were thru the heart, the Kudu was a double lung shot. His Duiker, Warthog and Impala dropped pretty much in their tracks. The larger Kudu and Zebra were a different story. The Zebra after shot thru the top of the heart ran 120 yards before dropping, The trackers followed the tracks to the Zebra but there was not a single drop of blood. When we found the Zebra we saw a 7mm entry and a 7mm exit hole, no expansion at all. The PH said that was common with those bullets. We watched them skin the Zebra and the entire chest cavity was full of blood and the heart had a nice 7mm hole in it.
The Kudu ran about 400 yards with a double lung shot, same scenario, 7mm entry and a 7mm exit with only one small drop of blood at the place he was standing when shot. I was proud of my 14 y.o. Sons shooting and I believe all the practice paid dividends. I believe it was shot placement not bullet performance that won the day.
I shot 4 animals with my 338 using the 225 TTSX's. Not a single heart shot, yes my Son shot way better than I did, lol. All of my animals had a .338 entry and a massive exit wound with lots of blood (made for an easier more relaxing track)
I know we are talking 2 different calibers but I can't help but think, at least in our case, that the TTSX bullet out performed the TSX bullets. Next time we go it will be TTSX's for the both of us and I may have to practice a little more than my Son wink
Posted By: chesterwy Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/27/13
The load is 54 grains of reloader 22. With federal 210 primer.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/27/13
[Linked Image]

A couple of summers ago, I started a test of several different bullets at 'near' and 'far'. I didn't recover several of the far bullets to compare, but the near: 155 yards, into tidal silty, mud, were recovered:

[Linked Image]

L to R: GMX, TSX, TTSX, E-Tip, Accubond; all 150 grain using a max load of IMR 4064. The TTSX seems to be a typical performance, not an anomaly. (I trust them to expand where I sometimes know the T/XLC/TSX do not.)
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/28/13
klik- what caliber
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/28/13
I've now seen close to 200 animals shot with TSX's and TTSX's. The problem with TSX's not opening appears to be most frequent to those of smaller than .30 caliber, but in a cartridge with a enough recoil to peen the hollow-point closed. Which is probably why very few problems are reported with .22 canterfires.

I've seen the most problems with the 100-grain .25, including one that apparently didn't open at all when I shot a pronghorn buck right behind the shoulders broadside with a .257 Weatherby Magnum. The buck went 250 yards before falling, and only started leaving any blood about eight feet from where it fell. Have yet to see anything remotely like that in a number of animals shot with the 100-grain .25 TTSX.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: TSX/TTSX Comparison - 12/28/13
Originally Posted by SAKO75
klik- what caliber

.308 cal; w/ 30-06
© 24hourcampfire