Home
Winchester 70-24" Med weight bbl.

I am new to this caliber. I can tell you 150gr Barnes TTSX with 66gr of IMR-4350 does not group well!

Does anyone have a good baseline load with 165gr Interlock or 180gr Nosler BT?

Yep, this is pretty base line for my rifles (Winchester model 70's):

64-66 gr H4350
165 Hornady btsp
CCI 250
.020" off the lands
Brass of your choice: I've used Federal, WW, and R-P
There is a lot of variation in 300 WSM.Some rifles seem to have a little more freebore than others.The one I have doesn't have much if any.Most book loads are too hot for mine,but I'm getting higher velocities at a lower charges.I've alway loaded 165gr bullets in mine and always started low and worked my way up.With 165gr bullets the loads that were near max and gave me the best groups were:
64.5grs Win. 760 (3125fps)
65.0grs IMR 4350 (3015fps)
69.0grs Reloader-22 (3030fps)
64.0grs of Reloader 17 (3150fps)
67.0grs of Ramshot Hunter (3080fps)
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yep, this is pretty base line for my rifles (Winchester model 70's):

64-66 gr H4350
165 Hornady btsp
CCI 250
.020" off the lands
Brass of your choice: I've used Federal, WW, and R-P

I use same-same - except only WW brass. WLRM primers under my 180's - it likes them better for some reason. If it won't shoot with 4350, it ain't gonna shoot......................
I agree bwinters, mine likes IMR4350 and H4350 with a myriad of bullets in the 165 to 180 gr. range...It's not picky at all...
Am I the only one who likes RL22 with 165's? frown
Prolly, you know how those weird 270 shooters are...A lot of guys like that chit for their 7mm mags too, but I found it works better as fertilizer on the wifes tomato plants whistle
Mine likes 66 gr H4350 with 165's.

Tomorrow I'll find out what it likes with 150's.
My load with 150 AccuBonds was 60.0 grains of IMR 4064 in W-W cases with CCI 250 primers. Very accurate and ran a bit over 3,200 fps from the 24-inch barrel of my CZ Model 3. That might be a bit hot for TTSXs, so you if you decide to try 4064, start lower and work up.
I use H4831SC in mine with a standard primer and either the 168 or 190 gr Berger hunting bullet. RL-22 also works well, as does either one of the 4350's. I've loaded both WW and RP cases and I just bought a hundred Norma cases but have not shot them yet. Lightman
66.5 gr RL 17, 165 ttsx, 3166 with groups just over half inch, 8 inch group at 300 yards off of shooting sticks.
I use 63.0grs of A4350 and 178 amax for .5's at 200yds, should be pretty close to same for 180's
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Reloader, are you still using FC brass?
Originally Posted by Reloder28

For 150's it likes Imr 4064 for sure. But, the best powder was Superformance, as it landed three shots to the same P.O.I. as the 165 load mentioned above. Now I have two interchangeable loads.

Works for me.
Reloader, are you still using FC brass?

No, sir. Never have. I use Norma exclusively in my Sako & Remington in my 1885. When I take delivery on my Borden next year I may go with Lapua. If not, then Norma also for it.
Originally Posted by Freddy
66.5 gr RL 17, 165 ttsx, 3166 with groups just over half inch.

This in two WSMs.
I'm loading 66 gr of IMR 4350 under Barnes 168 TTSX's.

I'm getting ~1.75 MOA. not stellar, but certainly acceptable for a hunting round.
I am not sure what you mean ,I own two wsm's, a 300 and 270 wsm, they both are very accurate when using RL 17.
Originally Posted by jswbga

I'm getting ~1.75 MOA. not stellar, but certainly acceptable for a hunting round.

Been looking at this bullet myself. The 168 AMax have almost the exact same BC (470 vs 475), it'd be a good swap for playing.

I appreciate the honesty, but why only "1 3/4 MOA"?? Specs on rifle please. Is it bedded, what scope, no load development, how far off the lands, etc???
No.

I appreciate the honesty, but why only "1 3/4 MOA"?? Specs on rifle please. Is it bedded, what scope, no load development, how far off the lands, etc???

Rifle is a Savage Model 14. I just bought it this summer, and have only been to the range with it once.

I'm not sure how far I am off the lands. I've got them loaded as far out as I can and still fit comfortably in the box magazine.

I've still got some work to do with the load before next October. I dont have much experience with the TTSX yet, but am working on it.

Also, that 1.75MOA is an honest measurement. Over the years, I've noticed that most folks (in particular.... those on fairly anonymous forums) claim to shoot better groups than I suspect they really see on paper at the range.

Also..... I shoot 5 shot groups, not 3. So maybe that contributes to my percieved "poor" accuracy. smile

shane
3x9x40 Redfield scope, rifle is not bedded.

Sorry for not providing that in first response.

Rifle is a Savage Model 14. I just bought it this summer, and have only been to the range with it once.

I'm not sure how far I am off the lands. I've got them loaded as far out as I can and still fit comfortably in the box magazine.

I've still got some work to do with the load before next October. I dont have much experience with the TTSX yet, but am working on it.

Also, that 1.75MOA is an honest measurement. Over the years, I've noticed that most folks (in particular.... those on fairly anonymous forums) claim to shoot better groups than I suspect they really see on paper at the range.

Also..... I shoot 5 shot groups, not 3. So maybe that contributes to my percieved "poor" accuracy. smile

shane

I'm not knocking you my friend. Just glad to see an honest statement about group size. A lot of guys think their rifles shoot 1/2 moa "all day long" and it gets tiring. Mine shoot an honest 1 moa with their pet loads. I do have a varmint rifle and another rifle that I shot competiton with that shoot consistent "sub moa". For the most part, I shoot 5 shot groups as well when I've done my homework at the range and have found a dedicated load (right at 1 moa or sub moa). Your savage will probably be a better shooter with a little more time if you are capable of that type of accuracy. Some guys just aren't capable, even when their rifles are.
Hell, I can't think of a better thread to show you how my 300 wsm shoots:

10 shot group:
[Linked Image]

5 shot group:
[Linked Image]

Now, to get my new 300 wsm rifle shooting a little better:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MY Kimber shoots 168 TTSX well with 70 grains of H4831sc, also shoots well with 760. Shoots 155 Scenars well with R17 as well.
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
MY Kimber shoots 168 TTSX well with 70 grains of H4831sc, also shoots well with 760. Shoots 155 Scenars well with R17 as well.

That's the nice thing about the 300 wsm's I've had. Very easy to find loads for and not finicky with the powder you put into them. Is it me or does your brass last a long time too???? I was wanting to go thru the damn FC brass I bought as "once fired" but it's like the damn energizer bunny!!!!
Is it me or does your brass last a long time too????

Mine too. It's the sharp shoulder angle that limits (eliminates) stretching. I have put over 450 rounds through my gun and am still working with the first 60 pieces of Norma brass I started with & they have NOT been treated lightly!

I had Redding cut my sizing die to match the chamber in my Sako. I have no expansion ring on my brass. The fired case swell diameter is within .001 measured near the base.
Is it me or does your brass last a long time too???? I was wanting to go thru the damn FC brass I bought as "once fired" but it's like the damn energizer bunny!!!

My 7 WSM brass lasts forever. I just trim them every once in a while but that is it.
BSA

those were pretty impressive groups. Attaboy (and atta-rifle)

wink
the wsm i had in an aboltII loved 180gr sierra pro's pushed with rl-19
My Montana 300 WSM shoots both the 150 NP and 150 TTSX very very well over high end loads of W760.

I'm not the best rifle shot and can usually keep it around 3/4"-1" at 100yds and around 3" at 300 more often then not.
RL-15 & 165 Accubonds gave me dime sized groups all day long.
© 24hourcampfire