Home
Posted By: hwgtyd 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/05/14
I'm curious what the campfire is using for bullet and powder combinations for elk out of their 280AI.
150 & 160 partitions seem to get good reviews, as do the 160 Accubonds. I have also read good things about the high BC bullets from Berger.

For powders, the 4350s and RL22 seem to be popular.

So, what is your pet load for elk.
Thanks
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
Don't overlook H4831, and I have had good luck with Ramshot Magnum also..
With what you have on hand, I'd start with the 160gr AB's, RL22, and just work up. My preference would be for H4831, but with component availability today, I'd start with the RL22.
Posted By: tomk Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
for 2014 it's looking like 150g Nosler LRAB & MRP
With a new 280 AI and 7 elk preference points I will be following this thread
Posted By: lhead71 Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
Vn165 and 140TTSX
Posted By: KenMi Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
Rl22 and 140 ttsx. Have not used it on elk but would not hesitate to after using it on several deer
Nosler 160 Partitions and RL22. Start with 57 grains and work up. My 280 AI liked 58.5 grains for accuracy but Nosler's #7 reloading guide lists loads up to 60.5 grains max.
Posted By: shootAI Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
140 grain Sierra bt game kings over h-4350
Originally Posted by KenMi
Rl22 and 140 ttsx. Have not used it on elk but would not hesitate to after using it on several deer

The 140 ttsx is a nasty one at speed. Killed a deer at about 40 yards or so and the bullet went full-length through. Instant drop, but that was via one of my 7 WSM's. I can't imagine there would be any difference with a 280 AI.
Posted By: rta48 Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
There are many good choices. I can get 2910 fps with the 160 accubond and h4831.

My favorite load is the Nosler 150 BT with 4831. I would not hesitate to hunt Elk with this combo.
That 150 BT is a good one. Damn accurate, too.
Posted By: Royce Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
For what it's worth, I would not use RL 22 for an elk hunting load. I have shot some RL22 and it's velocity changes when temperature drops. The loss of velocity in itself is not a big concern, but the resultant change in point of impact could be.
I have actually shot RL 22 over a chrono in cold weather and compared the velocities to warm weather and there was a significant difference.
H4831 will push any decent bullet fast enough to kill any elk that walks to over 500 yards, and probably a lot farther than that.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
I use Re22 and the 140 grain TTSX as my warm weather antelope load. H4831 and the same bullet as my cold weather elk load. Very close in velocity and POI.
While I only have just the standard .280 rem, I have used the 160 gr. partition with 56 gr. of IMR 4831 to kill multiple elk from ranges of 30 feet to 300 yards, all angles. The combo just flat works real good.

The spike in my avatar fell to a single 160 partition from my .280 rem as he tried to sneak out of the head end of a draw around 100 yards away I was headed up. Heading almost directly away from me the Bullet broke his right front leg, exited leg to enter lower neck severing the jugular and wind pipe then to also exit opposite side of neck. Elk made it maybe 40 yards spraying like a hydrant and tipped over.

My chrono'd velocity is only in the mid 2800 fps range, I could only imagine what a cool 2900 fps would be like from the AI....
Mine is a 150 TTSX, 62g RL22 @ 3050 fps.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/06/14
Great advice so far. Keep it coming.
150 gr. Swift Scirocco, H4831.
Posted By: super T Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/07/14
I've used just one load in my .280AI to kill six bull elk in the 300"-350" class, 160gr.NPT, 60grs of IMR7828 Winchester primers and Winchester cases or lately Nosler cases. The last one taken was Sept. 16th in Utah. He took a single bullet through the chest and was literally DRT. The bullet in this case did not exit and I did not find it because he was not gutted. My load gets about 2950fps and three shot groups will be an inch or less at !00yds. There may be better combos, but I'm not wasting any time looking for them.
Mine likes 60-61 grains of I7828ssc behind the 150 Ballistic Tip.
I plan to try the 162 amax and 168 ablr in the 280 ks I just picked up. Might try some 120 ttsx's later too.

Bb
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/09/14
I was shooting 150 LRABs today with H4831SC, best 3 shot group .287 worst .600 the 150 LRAB shoots very well out of my 280AI I'm just a little afraid to use it on Elk but wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer or antelope..
Originally Posted by Royce
For what it's worth, I would not use RL 22 for an elk hunting load. I have shot some RL22 and it's velocity changes when temperature drops. The loss of velocity in itself is not a big concern, but the resultant change in point of impact could be.
I have actually shot RL 22 over a chrono in cold weather and compared the velocities to warm weather and there was a significant difference.
H4831 will push any decent bullet fast enough to kill any elk that walks to over 500 yards, and probably a lot farther than that.

I've quit using RL 22 because I've seen wide swings in velocity from cold to hot.
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/09/14
I've quit using RL22 for the same reason...
VV N165 works great in the 280AI!
Originally Posted by Aviator
I was shooting 150 LRABs today with H4831SC, best 3 shot group .287 worst .600 the 150 LRAB shoots very well out of my 280AI I'm just a little afraid to use it on Elk but wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer or antelope..

I was looking at this bullet for elk hunting but before I spend $50 on a box I would like to know more now. Are these 150 LRABs known for poor performance on bigger game?
2013 was the first year they were out, so very little games actually been shot with any of the LRAB's. Much of what you are hearing about them at this point is still speculation.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/09/14
My speculation:
I don't see any reason why the LR version would perform significantly different on game than the original AB. The outside shape is different but it's still a bonded bullet. I would expect it to be a little softer in front with thinner front jacket than the regular AB to expand at the lower velocity threshold of LR shooting. From what I've seen of recovered AB bullets, they seem to retain 60-80% weight and perform like a Partition.

At this point, I would put my money on the ABLR performing better in game than the Berger hunting versions, across the velocity spectrum.
Originally Posted by gzig5
My speculation:
I don't see any reason why the LR version would perform significantly different on game than the original AB. The outside shape is different but it's still a bonded bullet. I would expect it to be a little softer in front with thinner front jacket than the regular AB to expand at the lower velocity threshold of LR shooting. From what I've seen of recovered AB bullets, they seem to retain 60-80% weight and perform like a Partition.

At this point, I would put my money on the ABLR performing better in game than the Berger hunting versions, across the velocity spectrum.

I concur with your speculation, but won't know until I actually get to kill something with a few!!
Posted By: iddave Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/09/14
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by KenMi

The 140 ttsx is a nasty one at speed. Killed a deer at about 40 yards or so and the bullet went full-length through. Instant drop, but that was via one of my 7 WSM's. I can't imagine there would be any difference with a 280 AI.

I'm using the 140 TTSXs in my standard .280 at around 3020, and it does good things near and far to elk, bear, and deer.

Dave
Posted By: Swado Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/10/14
Was at the range today, just putting a few out of my Kimber 280AI. 140g TTSX over RL22 with Fed215. As the day warmed up, the groups crept up. In fact 2inches at 100m after a 15 Degrees Celsius change (summer here)... time to try a different powder. A real shame, as they group at .5inch too...
Posted By: KenMi Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/10/14
Barrel temp could also have the same effect
Posted By: SeanD Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/10/14

Was the 150ablr very sensitive to seating depth due to the secant ogive or was it easy to get them shooting well?
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/10/14
My gun really seems to like the 150 LRAB I shot them with several different powders and primers .600 was the biggest 3 shot group I shot...as far as seating depth they seem to shoot alittle better with a jump..I have been working with the 168 LRAB it hasn't shot very well in my gun at any seating depth, the best group was in the .750 range. Sometimes a barrel just shows you what it likes and what it doesn't...My barrel favors the 150LRAB and the 160AB.. I haven't found the LRAB to be Critical to seating depth like some of the bergers I've worked with..
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/11/14
My gun really seems to like the 150 LRAB I shot them with several different powders and primers .600 was the biggest 3 shot group I shot...as far as seating depth they seem to shoot alittle better with a jump..I have been working with the 168 LRAB it hasn't shot very well in my gun at any seating depth, the best group was in the .750 range. Sometimes a barrel just shows you what it likes and what it doesn't...My barrel favors the 150LRAB and the 160AB.. I haven't found the LRAB to be Critical to seating depth like some of the bergers I've worked with..

What twist barrel are you running ?
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/12/14
9 twist Brux..
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/12/14
9 twist Brux..

Thanks. I have a 9 twist on order and am hoping that will be enough to shoot the 168 ABLRs well.
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/12/14
9 Twist should be plenty for the 168..
Posted By: tomk Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/12/14
FWIW, last fall ran a box of 150 LRABs seated to touch thru a non-Weatherby 7mm WB, and it printed 1/2" 3 shot groups. Have yet to try different seating with it.

Turned out really impressive groups with 140AB for season--also 1 in 9.
Posted By: GSSP Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/18/14
A buddy of nine just showed me this yesterday afternoon. Shot by his wife, from his 280 AI @ 2900 fps. The 150 LRAB, killing the cow at 440 yds, rib to rib. They could not find the bullet but the butcher did find it stuck in the off side rib. Weighed 80 gr and I measured it at .5" across the widest point. The cow was up the steep angled hill side like you see in the back ground. Once she went down like a ton of bricks, DRT, she picked up speed and was absolutely cart wheeling/careening nearly to the bottom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: Aviator Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/18/14
Alan, seems like all the LRABs I've seen recovered looked just like that one very consistent results thus far ! The 150 shoots so well in my 280AI I am going to run with it !
Posted By: tomk Re: 280AI Elk Bullets & Powder - 01/18/14
Great pic, Alan! What a woman, eh?

The good elk run downhill after they're shot....:)

Yeah, am looking forward to running those thru mine. Janey killed an elk with her 7-08 this past year with the 140AB--probably going to the Ballistic Tips there.

© 24hourcampfire