Home
Posted By: Sycamore Hornady neck size dies? - 12/16/14
Anybody using them?

I have used specific cartridge neck dies from RCBS and Redding, but these seem to be universal (somewhat) by caliber.

I notice the .30 cal has a few options, 30 short (30-30), 30 cal, 30 cal magnum, and 308 match.

Just wondering if anybody has given them a whirl, and if so, what die and what cartridge.

thanks,

Sycamore
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/16/14
I've played with them some...I think they are sort of finicky..

I have them in 20 cal, 6mm, 6.5 mm and 30 cal...

They are usable on a variety of chamberings, they just have to be set up for them...

I've played with them for a cheap alternative... but so far I really haven't impressed myself with them a whole heck of a lot..

but then again, I don't care much for Hornady's regular dies either...my preferences are RCBS, Lee and Redding...
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/16/14
I've got a 7mm and 30 Cal hornady.
They get the job done but since the casing is loose inside the die while the "sizing/expanding" is being done I get plenty of run out.
I pretty much just use them now for the expander to prep virgin brass.
but then again, I don't care much for Hornady's regular dies either

I do like that little sliding thingy on their seating dies. miles
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by milespatton

+1
Posted By: mathman Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by milespatton

+1

They are all right, but they don't hang with Redding and Forster "competition" dies for runout.
I have a couple of the Hdy neck dies. One(6.5) sizes very straight due to good brass and the right dimensions on the exp and neck. The other(.243) will make a good case look horrible as the neck sizes too much requiring a fair amount of force to pull the exp back through. Based on the good results with the 6.5, I'm going to give one in .284 a try.
Posted By: fremont Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/20/14
I have them in several calibers. Work great for hunting applications. (And, yes, I chamber each neck-sized round before hitting the field.)
Posted By: mathman Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/20/14
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I have a couple of the Hdy neck dies. One(6.5) sizes very straight due to good brass and the right dimensions on the exp and neck. The other(.243) will make a good case look horrible as the neck sizes too much requiring a fair amount of force to pull the exp back through. Based on the good results with the 6.5, I'm going to give one in .284 a try.

Did you try pushing the expander through in a separate step?
Posted By: efw Re: Hornady neck size dies? - 12/21/14
I have the 6mm die for my 6-250 and use it as JB suggests; drop the decapping pin and adjust the die so that the expander is JUST below the sizing portion of the die so the neck is supported as the expander is pulled throUgh. That's worked quite nicely for me but I'd have a LCD if I could.
© 24hourcampfire