Home
I load and shoot Barnes TSX bullets in several calibers- .257 Wby, .280, .300 Wby. My supply of TSX's for these is running low, and I'm considering making a switch to TTSX bullets.

The BC differences in the same bullet weights are slight, with drop values at 500 yds. less than an inch difference.
Question- for those of you who have made the switch, is there enough difference in performance on game to warrant making the change to TTSX?
Barnes says the TTSX has quicker expansion.
I've not had a problem with either...still shooting the TSX out of the .257 Roy, the rest are TTSX
Just remember that the TTSX is a longer bullet and will reduce case capacity if you try and maintain identical OAL. Also, if your bullet weight is on the edge, you may encounter stabilization issues with the longer TTSX. That being said, I don't see anything wrong with the TTSX and would be fine with them if they shoot accurately out of your rifle. I have an M70 in 375HH that shoots the 250 gr TTSX and the 270 gr TSX to about the same point of impact at 100 yds and for all purposes are interchangeable. Another M70 in 300 WM prefers the 180 TSX over the TTSX. I'm no expert but I have played a bit with the Barnes bullets in those two rifles and have been pleased with the results. Good luck.
After finding 2 snapped off tips in my magbox and one hanging on by a thread, I i I might be switching back.
Originally Posted by 16bore
After finding 2 snapped off tips in my magbox and one hanging on by a thread, I i I might be switching back.

I thought they fixed that. Are yours from an early production run?
The TTSX are the only Barnes bullets I'll use. I don't trust the hollow point design to open consistently, I saw too many failures from the old X bullets & think the lack of something solid in the nose to start expansion is a bad design. The tipped versions always open so I can't see any reason to use the untipped ones.
Originally Posted by doubletap

I thought they fixed that. Are yours from an early production run?

Maybe a couple years old. Had I yanked the trigger on the one it'd been kaboom.

I�m not following ya. The tip coming off would cause pressure issues? Was it stuck in the chamber neck or something similar?
Hanging by a thread. Have a feeling it'd come off when fired.
I've shot 53's in my Swift and 85's in my 6's and 243 without issue but TTSX in everything else...no problems with either.
I've shot both TSX and TTSX. When developing new loads, I generally start with the TTSX now. I like the plastic tipped bullets.
I load Barnes in all my calibers and none are untipped. Performance is unquestionably better. I even have some of the LRX.

In the event a tip broken, the worst that could happen is a problem chambering the round if it got wedged in the chamber somwhow. A broken, loose or bent tip would not be an issue firing it and most likely would not even affect accuracy.
Hanging by a thread. Have a feeling it�d come off when fired.

I suspect you wouldn�t have known the difference.
I tried the TSX in my Howa .243, it was reasonably accurate but much less so than the Hornady 100 spirepoint flatbases, which had become unavailable. I shot some deer with the TSX and am pleased with the performance.

I then tried a load with the TTSX, and it is noticeably more accurate, so I switched. And I got to prove that they kill deer the same, so based on accuracy, I'm going with the TTSX in that rifle.

I just picked up an older Remington 700ADL in .243, so I'll have to see what it likes. If it prefers the TSX over the TTSX, then so be it. Whichever one shoots more accurately is the one I'll choose, terminal performance for both are excellent.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
II just picked up an older Remington 700ADL in .243, so I'll have to see what it likes.

This works well in an older one I worked up a load for:

80 gr TTSX
Lapua Brass
45.0 IMR 4831
F210M
2.645" COAL

Of course each rifle is different, so start low and work up on the powder and adjust COAL as needed.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Hanging by a thread. Have a feeling it�d come off when fired.

I suspect you wouldn�t have known the difference.

Unless it became an obstruction.
I've used a lot of both-started with the early X bullets and then the XLC. If there is any difference in performance or accuracy between the TSX and the TTSX's I have not been able to notice. If I had TSX's I'd shoot them up and be happy. Both are very good.
"Barnes TSX to TTSX- worth the switch?"

Barnes thought so. They say it ensures better expansion. I'll take their word for it since the implication is the extra R&D and tooling costs them money and they wouldn't do it for no reason.

Of course, they may have done it for marketing reasons as well. Do they still make the untipped tsx?
They do, and I have some "non tipped" 120gr 6.5 TTSX. TTSX does have a big ass hole. Well, big nose hole....
Been shooting the old 90gr X in my 250Ackley for at least 20 years. Never had one fail. Can't even find them anymore and I only have a few left. Guess I'll go to the 85gr TTSX when I run out. powdr
been shooting the older 165 tsx out of my '06 gvt model 70 for 3 years. 7 deer and 3 hogs later, I have not recovered a bullet, but recovered all game about 18-24 inches from where they stood a second or two before smile

I have a wildcat that prefers the tsx 180s to the ttsx 180s though. Go figure.
Big ass hole, might be the new style..

[Linked Image]

I encountered several boxes of Accubonds that did the same thing. Nosler said they fixed the problem...
Big ass hole, might be the new style..

That's what she said.
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
II just picked up an older Remington 700ADL in .243, so I'll have to see what it likes.

This works well in an older one I worked up a load for:

80 gr TTSX
Lapua Brass
45.0 IMR 4831
F210M
2.645" COAL

Of course each rifle is different, so start low and work up on the powder and adjust COAL as needed.

Thanks!!
Now I've got a whole box of big ass holes. Kinda surprised at how easy they came out. MeanXX

[Linked Image]
Vic, you're welcome.
The TTSX are a little different since they are longer. You can't play with bullet jump to the lands since COL becomes a problem in getting them to fit your magazine. My experience has been that you just have to seat them so the last groove is even with the case mouth and go shoot. If they shoot well you are ok, if they don't, seating depth is not one of the variables you can play with.
I never had an expansion issue but most of my experience was with 308 and above. The TTSX have been accurate and reliable IME except I can't get the 250TTSX to shoot worth beans in my 375. Might have to stick with the 235TSX on that one.
I have used the original X, the TSX and the TTSX and have had wonderful performance from all. Elk, moose, black bear, eland, wildebeest, gemsbuck, kudu...
16Bore .... I'd be giving Barnes a call.....
It was few that snapped, then I just pulled out the rest for schits and giggles. I'm making my own line called HXX. Hammershocks. Not too worried. I'm sure ill get some yada had story and lot number, blah blah, send them back we'll test them and get told they are spec. Then since the were molyed that the vibrations caused harmonic fractures that destroyed the integrity of the polymer tip.

It has made me want non plastic tipped bullets for hunting. Aint no thing, probably never happen again anyway.

Laupa Scenars, Partitions, lotsa bullets abound.....
I was living in a lead free zone for a long time and forced to use the X, TSX and TTSX longer than most. They have all gotten progressively better in regards to consistent expansion. Since going TTSX on everything I can I have yet to see a failure to expand. I can dig up a classic Barnes performance photo for reference. Same deer took two slugs TSX from a 7mm mag. One was a pencil hole the second one right next to it performed perfectly.
djones here had a SST tip come off and disable his DPMS 308 on a hog hunt. Wouldn't be a fun thing. Not sure if the TTSX's are made the same, but I'd guess it is possible. He switched to core-lokt's for awhile and killed just as many hogs.

I shot the 168 TSX for years out of my 300 RUM, it was a phenominal bullet, amazing pentration and lots of dead critters. I switched to the TTSX last year when my initial suply of TSX ran out. Since then I have shot two animals with the TTSX. A black bear at a couple hundred yards and a caribou at 519 yards, my longest shot at game. Performance was as to be expected, Obvious expansion and complete penetration. I did notice that the TTSX seemed to open up a little quicker as there as more initial damage when compared to similar hits with the TSX.

My take away was it doesn�t make that much difference. I like the bigger hole in the TTSX so have decided to make the switch but I would feel completely comfortable shooting either bullet.
Those things look mean
Decided to 'bite the bullet', so to speak, and tried some 140 gr. Barnes TTSX in my .280, ahead of an initial charge of RL19 powder, which I found at last week's gun show.

Anyway- loaded up a few rounds with a starting load of 56.5 gr. of RL19.

First three-shot group at 100 went into a ragged, one hole group measuring .28 in. Chrono velocity for 9 shots was 3000 fps.

Largest group opened up to .6".

I then shot a 3-shot group with my 140 gr. TSX handloads. Three-shot group went into its usual .6".
Guess I'll try some TTSXes next deer season, but this kinda seems like win/win either way.
I bought a box of the 243 80gr TTSX. I open the box had 6 bullets that didn't have the tips in them, call Barnes and they shipped me a free box of bullets for free and told me to keep the others, used the ones with no tips for follow up shot in the magazine. Last year had two doe standing at 175 yards, first one with the tipped TTSX went down at the crack of the rifle, second doe ran like 25 yards and stopped, shot that one with the non tipped TTSX, when impacted it sounded like it was hit with a v-max or something. when cleaning the deer it showed the non tipped TTSX did alot better job on killing the doe. both were shot in the neck. Since then I been pulling the tips out of my TTSX
Originally Posted by gemby58
I bought a box of the 243 80gr TTSX. I open the box had 6 bullets that didn't have the tips in them, call Barnes and they shipped me a free box of bullets for free and told me to keep the others, used the ones with no tips for follow up shot in the magazine. Last year had two doe standing at 175 yards, first one with the tipped TTSX went down at the crack of the rifle, second doe ran like 25 yards and stopped, shot that one with the non tipped TTSX, when impacted it sounded like it was hit with a v-max or something. when cleaning the deer it showed the non tipped TTSX did alot better job on killing the doe. both were shot in the neck. Since then I been pulling the tips out of my TTSX

Interesting.....maybe you and 16 bore are on to something.

Shod
Originally Posted by Fireball2
"Barnes TSX to TTSX- worth the switch?"

Barnes thought so. They say it ensures better expansion. I'll take their word for it since the implication is the extra R&D and tooling costs them money and they wouldn't do it for no reason.

Of course, they may have done it for marketing reasons as well. Do they still make the untipped tsx?

Barnes has always been careful not to admit that there might have been problems with their product until they feel comfortable with the correction in the newest iteration. The tips were originally touted as a "BC enhancement" (but some of us knew better).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had a few problems with the XFBs being resistant to opening on occasion. However, they typically opened better than these TSXs.

I don't use them much anymore and have only used the tipped ones a few times, but I don't see how the tips cannot improve consistency.
© 24hourcampfire