Home
Posted By: kend Bullet weight distribution - 02/24/15
For lack of a better description. It seems reasonable to me that bullets are lighter at the pointy end. I'm asking because we can use non lead muzzle loader bullets here in Oregon now, but no plastic is allowed. I got some copper samples from Thor and they have a hollow copper base and plastic tip. I removed the tip and filled the hole with lead, 50 grains to be exact. It appears the bullet is now weight forward and I'm curious if that will impact accuracy? As Gus would say, "Anybody know for sure?"
Posted By: 1minute Re: Bullet weight distribution - 02/24/15
Little if any effect. Actually if we did not spin our slugs, most would eventually turn around in flight and fly with the heavier butt end being forward.
Posted By: kend Re: Bullet weight distribution - 02/24/15
Thanks, That makes perfect sense even in my thick head! I could throw it up in the air and see which end hits the ground just for fun.
Posted By: mag410 Re: Bullet weight distribution - 02/24/15
Originally Posted by kend
"Anybody know for sure?"

Nope.

Are you going to shoot some with out modification so you can see the effect on accuracy?

Heavy nose and a light rear, sound like you have reinvented the Foster shotgun slug.

If you are taking a poll, my "guess" is accuracy is not going to be good. I think they are going to wobble like a badminton shuttlecock and at some point tumble like a .38 Special hollow base wad-cutter does past 50 yards.

Please post the accuracy results.

Michael

Posted By: MILES58 Re: Bullet weight distribution - 02/24/15
Jesus! Breathtakingly dumb stunt!

The hollow base is there to expand out and seal the bore. It also serves to engage the rifling and spin the bullet.

Fill the base with lead and those good things won't happen. Bullets that don't spin are well recognized as less accurate than bullets that do spin.
He's not talking about filling the hollow base with lead, rather removing the plastic tip and filling the resulting hollow point with lead if I understand the OP correctly.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Bullet weight distribution - 02/24/15
How is this supposed to initiate expansion?
Posted By: kend Re: Bullet weight distribution - 02/25/15
Ok boy's I'll get some more and go shoot'em. The hollow point is roughly .22" in diameter and .5" deep. The LOA of the bullet is just shy of 1" to meet the maximum length of twice the bore size. It was a 250 gr bullet without the 50 gr of added lead. Like I said the plastic ain't legal in Oregon. This is a free 4 bullet sample from Thor to determine fit for my rifle. The base can also be expanded a bit if necessary.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MILES58
Jesus! Breathtakingly dumb stunt!

The hollow base is there to expand out and seal the bore. It also serves to engage the rifling and spin the bullet.

Fill the base with lead and those good things won't happen. Bullets that don't spin are well recognized as less accurate than bullets that do spin.

Normally, I would ignore such an uncalled for outburst, but there is way too much of this nonsense on this site. Too many good men have left this site because of this sort of BS. Give it a rest.
well arows are weight fowared. No plastic tips ? thats odd ????? Some do say plastic tips on bullet help start expantion, but I have pay with bullets with tha tips removed ( like .22-7mm) and don't see that tob be true. Be interesting to see what you find
Thor has a hollow point so this topic may be moot, although interesting. Can't find a picture on their site though.
© 24hourcampfire