Home
Posted By: darick 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/08/15
What's everyone favorite bullet for whitetails out of 243. I like the 95 gr nosler bt,but thinking about trying the accubonds.
95gr NBT.

That's what I would shoot.
I've loaded up 95 gn NBT last two years for my daughter. This year I think we are going to go with 100 gn Hornady BTSP.

I may try the 95gr NBT this year but in years past it has been either the Barnes 80 TTSX or Hornady 80 GMX.
Posted By: darick Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/08/15
How was the performance of the ttsx's on deer
Posted By: mathman Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/08/15
95 NBT for me.

It works on hogs too.
Originally Posted by darick
How was the performance of the ttsx's on deer

TTSX and GMX performance were basically the same, small entrance quarter sized exit, dead deer at the end of a short heavy blood trail, and no bullets recovered.

I see many positive remarks about the 95 NBT so I am going to be forced to try them. I've already confiscated 3 boxes.
85 g sierras
Posted By: TATELAW Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/08/15
https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=016407629494559605640:xponie3lspc

Lots of 'fire threads about 243 deer bullets lately.

This is the Google 24hrcampfire search engine. I never bother with the search function on this site.
Originally Posted by texas_hawg
I've loaded up 95 gn NBT last two years for my daughter. This year I think we are going to go with 100 gn Hornady BTSP.

I'm going the opposite direction. My son's rifle shot both well, and I went with the 100 Hornady BTSP. I'll not do that again. It's 95 gr BT's from here on out.
Posted By: muddy22 Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/08/15
100 gr. Nosler PT.-Muddy
Posted By: Royce Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/08/15
Billy
What turned you off the 100 grain Hornady bullets?
Came apart on a buck last fall. Killed the deer, so I won't say it "failed" but it was definitely softer than I'd hoped. And it wasn't screaming fast either. Out of a youth 700, whatever bbl length that is (16? 18?) and at 285 yards to boot. After posting my experience on here I learned it's not uncommon with that bullet, specifically the boat tail.
Any ordinary 100 grain cup and core will get a whitetail moving in the direction of the frying pan readily. I have killed bunches of similar sized caribou with the 100 Pro-Hunter, but Interlocks, PowerPoints, and Core-lokts work as well. Admittedly, herd animals like caribou probably give it up a bit easier, but the work required of the bullet is similar. Improving on the plain old cup and core is simple by moving to something like the 95 Partition if you feel like spending a bit more.
Posted By: BEN243 Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
85 gr Sierra HPBT
Posted By: Bbear Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
85gr partition, 90gr AB, 95 gr CTBT's and in the third one 100 gr Sierra's.
Posted By: Tim_B Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
I have some 90grain accubonds I will be loading into my .243 the next time i decide to use it for deer
Posted By: Fotis Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
90grain accubonds
Posted By: CLB Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
Originally Posted by mathman
95 NBT for me.

It works on hogs too.

It's one crazy good killing bullet...
Posted By: Hugh Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
85 grn. nosler partition
Posted By: Seafire Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
Plenty of good bullets for that type of service....

but you are already using one of the best in a field of a lot of good choices...

why mess with success...
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/09/15
I agree with the above post. The 95 BT is tough and accurate and sounds like you have a load working with them. There are few 6mm bullets as good IMO
Posted By: KenMi Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/10/15
80 TTSX and no other. Shoots the same as the varmint bullets and hits like lightning. Never a lack of penetration or expansion.
Posted By: K1500 Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/10/15
My 'on game' experience with the .243 (and 6mm) is probably much less than many of the other respondents, so take that into consideration when you read the following.

My daughter owns a .243 and the one deer I have seen shot with it fell to a 100 grain Interlock and it fell right there. Of course a sample size of 1 means little.

I have used Remington 80 grain core lock factory loads out of a 6mm on a few deer and a bunch of smaller stuff and it always worked fine, but it is more of a varmint bullet in my mind.

I am happy loading the 100 grain Interlock in both the .243 and 6mm, although I suppose the NBT or partition are 'better'. I have also had good luck accuracy wise with the 95 gr SST, and wouldn't hesitate to use it as a deer bullet.

This may be a dumb reason for a bullet choice, but the Interlock does everything I want it to do at half the price of some of the fancier options, so I can load one bullet in all my .243/6mm guns and shoot a lot.

If I were taking a trip 'out west' I would probably devote more energy to finding the perfect .243 bullet, but it doubt the game could tell a difference.
Any/all the bullets in the 95gr+ range if we are talking lead core will work just fine. The only bullet that seems a wee bit soft in that weight range is the 95gr SST. I'd rather use a Nosler varmint bullet. In fact, Nosler varmint bullets are getting loaded at moderate speed in 243 for a youngster for hunting this year. A nephew. IIRC, they are the 70gr, and the initial tests show varmint accuracy from 2400-2600fps.

Haven't done any expansion tests yet to determine what the final speed will be, but I have high hopes for this setup, given the light recoil and excellent accuracy. No reason to step on the gas for deer 150-200yds, which is a max distance for the kids, and the shot will be broadside or close to it, so a tough bullet is not needed.
Posted By: BigNate Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/10/15
My boys used the TSX 85gr with no issues. They only killed 4 or 5 with it but all were one shot kills. All had exit wounds.
85 TSX
Posted By: mtmuley Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/10/15
Not a Berger lover, but found a deal on a box of 95 grain VLD's awhile ago. My kids have been hammering deer and antelope with them. Gonna load some BT's for the heck of it. mtmuley
You can't kill deer with target bullets.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/10/15
80TTSX
95gr nosler bt for me going to try the sierra 85gr hpbt
Posted By: ingwe Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/11/15
Another vote for the 95 NBT
90gr NBT, 100gr grand slam & 85gr speer boat tail all work very well for me.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/11/15
My two favorites are the Speer 90 gr Deep Shock, and the Swift 90 gr Scirocco.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/11/15
Used the 95gr Nosler Partition to great affect for a few years. But if you put the bullet where it belongs, the deer will die with any good bullet from a 243.
Posted By: mtmuley Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/11/15
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
You can't kill deer with target bullets.
Oh yeah? How do you know? mtmuley
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
[sarcasm font on]You can't kill deer with target bullets.[sarcasm font off]
Oh yeah? How do you know? mtmuley

There, fixt it.
Posted By: Petro Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/11/15
90 NBT and 85 TTSX from my 243 Win and my WSSM. Both tough bullets but also exhibit good expansion.
Posted By: mtmuley Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/12/15
Sarcasm here also. mtmuley
Posted By: Bater Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/15/15
The 95gr NBTs had no problem breaking bear shoulders this spring, awesome bullets!
Posted By: Holston Re: 243 bullets for whitetails - 06/16/15
About the only cartridge I prefer BTs over Barnes is the .243.

Both have worked fine, but I've had an easier time getting the BTs to shoot to my liking.
© 24hourcampfire