Home
I'm tired of playing the waiting game for Big Game, so I talked to the Alliant folks about RL17 with 140 Partitions in my T3 7mm-08. They suggested a max of 48.7 grains. I loaded a few and chronoed this combo at 2903 fps MV. My Big Game load of 47.5 grains gives me 2850 fps MV, so slightly faster.

I loaded 6 each at 5 different seating depths, starting at max mag length and backing off about 0.02". If the wind quits I might get out Sunday. I also have a bunch of 120 TTSX loaded with CFE223 that chronoed 3040 fps MV I'd like to try.

The new Big Game might be different from the stuff I have, anyway.

P
I would imagine that Re-17 would work well with 140s in the 7-08. I initially tried H414 but had better luck with Varget for 140 Sierra Pro-Hunters.

That tends to be my pattern... when I'm struggling with accuracy in load development, a faster powder is often what solves the problem.
I use Partitions, but I noticed on Barnes' website that the MV is exactly the same for 140 TTSX using Big Game or RL17.

P
Pharmseller,

I tried RL-17 with 139 Hornadys in my 7-08, but the 48.7 grain load was too hot. Backed it down to 45.5 grains and the pressure signs went away, but velocity was just about the same as 47.0 grains of Big Game, and accuracy wasn't as good. But it still shot into a little over an inch, well within minute-of-deer.

I doubt any new Big Game that shows up will burn significantly differently than older lots. Or perhaps I should say that various lots of the Belgian-made Ramshot rifle powders have all shot very similarly in my rifles since Ramshot introduced them 15 years ago.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pharmseller,

I tried RL-17 with 139 Hornadys in my 7-08, but the 48.7 grain load was too hot. Backed it down to 45.5 grains and the pressure signs went away, but velocity was just about the same as 47.0 grains of Big Game, and accuracy wasn't as good. But it still shot into a little over an inch, well within minute-of-deer.

I doubt any new Big Game that shows up will burn significantly differently than older lots. Or perhaps I should say that various lots of the Belgian-made Ramshot rifle powders have all shot very similarly in my rifles since Ramshot introduced them 15 years ago.

I didn't notice any pressure signs at 48.7 gr and velocity wasn't crazy high but I'll keep an eye out.

I bought some oooold Big Game about a year ago and was very disappointed in the difference between it and the recent manufacture. Maybe it wasn't stored properly.

P
I bought 8#s about 18 mos ago and it is good stuff in my 7-08.
Doesn't it depend on the gun with Tikka's you can use more powder.
Originally Posted by byd
Doesn't it depend on the gun with Tikka's you can use more powder.

I wasn't aware of this, can you explain?

P
Pharmseller,

Was the oooold Big Game already opened? Just curious.

If I didn't still have a decent supply of Big Game would probably be using RL-17 in the 7-08.

Before I started using BG, H4350 was my go-to powder for bullets in the 140-grain range, with fine accuracy and velocities at the same level. But just try to find H4350 consistently these days. We have to dance with the one who's there!
BG, showed the best velocity in my 7-08 over RL17.

But the 7-08 really does well with a lot of powders.

Varget
H4350
2000MR
Big Game
RL17

and so forth...
Pharmseller,

Was the oooold Big Game already opened? Just curious.

If I didn't still have a decent supply of Big Game would probably be using RL-17 in the 7-08.

Before I started using BG, H4350 was my go-to powder for bullets in the 140-grain range, with fine accuracy and velocities at the same level. But just try to find H4350 consistently these days. We have to dance with the one who's there!

No. Velocity with the old stuff was over 150 fps slower and accuracy was poor. The jugs had handles.

I'll be over in the morning for coffee and powder.

P
Interesting! Pretty old powder.

You're welcome to come over for coffee, though be forewarned that all we have on hand is from Oregon. What do you have to trade for the Big Game?
What do you have to trade for the Big Game?

Given that his 'fire handle implies he's either a pharmacist or a drug detail sales rep, this could get pretty interesting, quickly!

(Unless he peddles Rx for arthritis, fallen arches, etc.)
Originally Posted by fremont
What do you have to trade for the Big Game?

Given that his 'fire handle implies he's either a pharmacist or a drug detail sales rep, this could get pretty interesting, quickly!

(Unless he peddles Rx for arthritis, fallen arches, etc.)

Drug rep, but none of the good stuff.

P
RL17 or R15 should wok fine it does for me.
Interesting! Pretty old powder.

You're welcome to come over for coffee, though be forewarned that all we have on hand is from Oregon. What do you have to trade for the Big Game?

I wouldn't presume to decrease your stock of Unobtainium.

P
JB,
I'm curious about the h4350 info, can you provide a starting point with 140's?

Thanx

Charlie
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10240388/Searchpage/1/Main/708042/Words/7mm-08+rl17/Search/true/Re:_7mm08_Powders#Post10240388

HTH

David
chas05,

Hodgdon lists 50.0 H4350 as maximum with 139 Hornady Spire Points, for 2906 fps in a 24" barrel. They also list 48.0 grains as maximum with the 140-grain Swift A-Frame for 2868 fps. The Hornady tends to produce less pressure than most other bullets, the Swift more, so where you start will depend on the bullet used.

In my 7-08's I've generally used bullets that don't result in as much pressure as the A-Frame. Usually I quit at 49.0 grains of H4350 with 139-140 grain bullets, and velocities have been from a little over 2800 to a little over 2900, depending on the bullet, barrel and lot of powder. Accuracy usually runs around an inch, give or take a little, for 3-shot groups at 100 yards.

My latest rifle gets the same velocity with 139 Interlocks as Hodgdon's Interlock data, but with a grain less powder in a 22" barrel.
Originally Posted by Canazes9
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10240388/Searchpage/1/Main/708042/Words/7mm-08+rl17/Search/true/Re:_7mm08_Powders#Post10240388

HTH

David

Thanks for the link. I looked at it previously but it didn't include 140 Partitions.

Good reference, though.

P
Thanks JB,
I'm new to reloading so all the help I can get is really appreciated. Do you have any hints for the 140 TTSX in terms of powders?

Thanx

Charlie
H380 and tsx,s work great in the wifes ruger 7-08 and my custom 7-08. When I do my part half inch groups are the norm.
Charlie,

I prefer Big Game with the 140 TTSX, because the bullet is so long compresses powders like H4350 (or RL-17) a LOT. Big Game's just about a perfect fit, but W760/H414 will also work.
Pharmseller - have you tried Varget and IMR4064?

My Go to was 45.0 of either with 139/140s, 139s almost as accurate as NBTs, and 4064 edging out Varget in accuracy. Speeds about identical. My load was about 1 grain over original book max IIRC, using RP brass. Never blew a primer, but I would start at 42/43 and work up. I partial sized brass.

When seated to lands, my 700V shot one hole 5 shot groups.

Later that and another 24" BDL SS were chopped to 21" - speeds were around 2960, my 20" M70 PF Syn shot 2850.

If loading today, I would go with WW brass for capacity and quality, holds about 1.5 gr more IIRC. Also, the NAB would be my go to bullet, and IMR4064 - always a tad more accurate IME.

Used 47 Varget w/120s for 3050-3100 in 21" guns, and same charge with 100 Hornady HPs shot 1/2-5/8" in my 700V - at 200 yds for 3 shot groups. Again, RP brass - which was the not the best. Never clocked the 100s but suspect they were 3200+

In a 21-23" bbl - My target speeds would be 2850-2900 w/139-140s - 3-3100 w/120s. Accuracy and safety would be first as always.
Thanks for the post.
I tried Varget at 42 (book max) and 43 grains. I started to see ejector marks at 43 and didn't get that much more velocity. Even over book max the loads weren't as fast as BG.

P
Gotcha, I believe the "book max" I had was from the earliest editions of the Accurate manuals. Your T3 throat is likely shorter than my former 700s. I believe it's been dropped a hair. If you are using RP brass, consider WW as it holds more, FC holds less, etc. Might be a small difference in what your potential is, but it sounds like you are where you want to be.
This is not in reference to the 7mm-08 but to RL-17. I found that VV N-550 is a good substute for RL-17, charge weights vary and top velocities are a bit lower , however, ES is much reduced with 550.

N-550 may be worth a look for your application.
© 24hourcampfire