Home
Shot more Re 26 this AM in my Kimber 270. This stuff is for real:

[Linked Image]

My rifle likes 61.0 grains in a WW case seated 0.020" off. Primer doesn't seem to make much difference but seating depth does. From top left: Fed 210, WLR, WLRM. The target in the lower right is Fed 210 primer but seated 0.040 off. It didn't like that...........

For reference the orange square is exactly 1". Avg vels were 3046, 3050, 3031 for the 0.020 loads.

I compared this load with my favorite 7 RM load (H1000, 160 NPT, 3050). The 270 gives up next to nothing.

This rifle/load combo is likely going to WY and CO this year in search of elk.
Nice! That'll penetrate like a fine stud horse. Possibly over penetrate... Use with caution cool
That's some serious velocity. I'm 100 fps slower using 140gr bullets and H4831sc with my 270. Great groups you have too. Are you getting any pressure signs with that recipe?
No pressure signs. Alliant data indicates 3022 with 60.8 grains and 150 NPT. Mule Deer will likely chime in with his load data. I think he ran it to 62 grains.

The other thing I noticed about Re 26 in my gun is the group location with different primers. I didn't post the other targets but 60.0 grains shot 2970ish and were in the same location on the target as the 61.0 loads. In my gun it seems to be pretty insensitive to primer and charge. 60 gr shot about 1.3". Vells and groups from this round were similar to the first batch of loads I tried a few weeks back. I'll shoot a 5 shot group son to see what the group does. I suspect it will stay under 1.25" gross.
I may try some of that powder if I run out of H4831. I use Alliant's RL17 in my 338-06AI with great success. Cheers.
Nice to see some confirmation here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9498257/Re:_New_RL23,___RL26_in_the_6.#Post9498257

I started at 60.8 grains of RL26 for 3,010 mv out of a 22" barrel.

I then lengthened the COAL bumped up the powder to get better accuracy and a little more speed.

270 Win

150 Nosler Partition
RL 26 63.0
Nosler brass
Fed 215 Mag primer
I bumped the COAL to 3.40 from 3.35

Accuracy was just under an inch with the cold bore shot.
3 shots were touching.
The Partition likes the slower powder more than the LRAB.
I'm liking your velocity with that 150. Guess I need a jug of RL26. As with a lot of folks,I'm on the H4831 train. Some 7828 under the 150 grain. RL26 might be the next big ticket.
I'd opine that if your rifle shoots H4831 under 150s, it will shoot Re26. My second best load is H1000 and/or H 4831. It likes both equally well. The bonus is, you'll pick up 100 ft/sec.
I've been watching this powder for a while. I have a 25-06 Sendero SFII. That 26 inch barrel ought to be giving me 3450ish velocities using Barnes 100s with decent accuracy, Instead, no matter what I try, it likes to throw 2 and one when it gets above about 3230. It doesn't seem Picky at all at about 3230, other than seating depth. Hit seating depth and 3230 and it'll shoot sub inch.

I think 26 might be my last attempt before I surrender. Alliant data shows ~3350 with 24 inch barrels and other 100 grainers. The Barnes tend to go a little faster so I hope to manage Alliant numbers anyway + a little something for those extra 2 inches of barrel. 17 and 22 gave me better numbers without pressure at 70 degree temps. 4451 is on the short list to try in this rifle too, but I have less hope for much extra speed out of it.
Very impressive! I have been using H4831 in mine with the 150 NPT and "only" getting 2830fps. Might have to try some RL26.
Ill try it for 100 fps.
I've been using RL26 for about a year now. Took a couple of months to get up my way after it was released and became available, but I'm getting 3150 fps in my 7 WSM with 162gr A-Max bullets with great accuracy.
Very cool B. I'm going to be trying this as well.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I've been using RL26 for about a year now. Took a couple of months to get up my way after it was released and became available, but I'm getting 3150 fps in my 7 WSM with 162gr A-Max bullets with great accuracy.

I wondered how it would work in the 7Mags, and now I know. Your data jives perfectly with Alliant's data for the 7WSM and 162AM, which shows 3150+fps. Gotta find some '26 to try!
OK, so can anyone explain to me why RL26 in the .270 Win can hit 3050 with 150gr bullets;

7mm WSM can hit 3150 with FOUR different 160gr bullets;

But the 270 WSM barely breaks 3100 with 150gr bullets in 1 out of 3 different loadings?

Possibly because you're getting to the point where a slower powder would work even better with 150's in the .270 WSM, is my guess. I wonder if RL33 would give better velocity.
That's some fantastic velocity with that bullet. I've been shooting the 150 NPT in mine for years at about 2850. Deer don't go to far after being hit with them and it will shoot 5 touching at 100yd and super reliable.

Sounds like a really great combo.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
Originally Posted by bellydeep
OK, so can anyone explain to me why RL26 in the .270 Win can hit 3050 with 150gr bullets;

But the 270 WSM barely breaks 3100 with 150gr bullets in 1 out of 3 different loadings?

Pressure.

It's all guessing unless you have equipment to measure it.
I think that the chamber geometry of the 270WSM may have something to do with the lower velocities (no throat). When I got mine years ago I was blowing primers trying to exceed 270Win velocities 150 grain bullet. I even had it throated and still only got a little over 270Win velocities. Hodgdon only lists 3070fps with Retumbo so slower powder doesn't seem to be the answer. Haven't played with the WSM in a while though. Western does show 3100fps with Magnum but never tried that.

My 270Win gets 2950 with Magnum and shoots the 150 NPT just under 1", so see no need for WSM.

All that extra gayness adds more drag.
A caliber in drag - Ru Paul would be proud. laugh
Put that RL-26 in a 280 case with a 160 and will will really have something. Not so "Gay" then!! laugh
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Pressure.

Wonder what kind of pressure testing Alliant does...

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...hellid=63&bulletid=366&bdid=1272

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...ight=150&shellid=64&bulletid=181

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...ight=162&shellid=72&bulletid=245
R26 is the real deal for the .270 Winchester. It is a unique powder and in cross section looks like an extruded pastry. Same family as R17,33,& 50. Fairly temperature stable or at least predictable with anti copper agents too.

It is showing promise for me in the .243,6.5x57, 270 Win, 270 WSM, 280 AI, 7 RM, and soon the 300 WM.

Pressure.

I haven't actually loaded it - just looking at the data online. Just seems strange that both rounds "on either side" so to speak of the 270 WSM do really well with the powder but it doesn't.
It has worked really well in my 270 WSM with 150 Partitions.

Same for the 7mm WSM. Very good speeds and seems to be accurate in both rifles.
.270 Win loads.

I've used a few powders in the .270 Win. RL-22 is excellent. BTW, RL-22 is identical to Norma MRP. I've never used RL-26

You're right in that the .270 Win will do darn near everything a 7MM Rem Mag will do.

Within reason, I'll sacrifice velocity for accuracy. A fast bullet that can't hit its target is called a clean miss.

Wow. that is quite impressive indeed. You've got me whipped by nearly 10% overall velocity.

I'm getting ~2770fps using 57 gr of H4831 and 150 NP's. That pretty well duplicates the Federal factory load.

Admittedly, I didn't feel like I was pushing the needle.... but I didn't think I was leaving THAT much on the table, either.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Pressure.

Yes but we all know the pressure(and velocity) varies a lot from rifle to rifle and manual data frequently does not hold up in our garden variety rifles. We see that a lot and it has always been common.

I don't have any doubt RL26 is a great powder since it seems to be a temp sensitive rendition of RL25 which I've been using for years now in the 7 Rem Mag,and got some pretty giddy 270 velocities with as well about 10 years ago..... Like 3200 from 22" barrel with 130 gr bullets.

Oh....and BTW I have also seen a couple of pre 64 M70 270's with 24" factory barrel give over 3200 fps with 130 gr bullets,with no outward signs of excessive pressures using H414.

So, yes, I believe 26 will give those velocities; but when I see cases like the 270 (65 gr ? of capacity) giving about the same velocities as a 7mm WSM ( 74 gr of capacity,....giving about the same velocities as an STW and more than a 7 Rem Mag with 80 + gr of capacity........my antenna goes straight up. Not that I doubt it....just that it leads to more questions in my mind. smile wink

Followed to its dryly illogical conclusion,we can start to assume that RL26 erases all substantive difference between a 270 and 7 Rem Mag....which is, of course, ridiculous. Anyone with enough experience with both knows this.

I never saw the sense in chasing another 50-100 fps from a smaller case when that same velocity was easily achieved from a commonly available bigger case.

Based on what I see here with some of the velocities, it won't be long before the primer popping starts. wink

Pressure.

Yes but we all know the pressure(and velocity) varies a lot from rifle to rifle and manual data frequently does not hold up in our garden variety rifles. We see that a lot and it has always been common.

I don't have any doubt RL26 is a great powder since it seems to be a temp sensitive rendition of RL25 which I've been using for years now in the 7 Rem Mag,and got some pretty giddy 270 velocities with as well about 10 years ago..... Like 3200 from 22" barrel with 130 gr bullets.

Oh....and BTW I have also seen a couple of pre 64 M70 270's with 24" factory barrel give over 3200 fps with 130 gr bullets,with no outward signs of excessive pressures using H414.

So, yes, I believe 26 will give those velocities; but when I see cases like the 270 (65 gr ? of capacity) giving about the same velocities as a 7mm WSM ( 74 gr of capacity,....giving about the same velocities as an STW and more than a 7 Rem Mag with 80 + gr of capacity........my antenna goes straight up. Not that I doubt it....just that it leads to more questions in my mind. smile wink

Followed to its dryly illogical conclusion,we can start to assume that RL26 erases all substantive difference between a 270 and 7 Rem Mag....which is, of course, ridiculous. Anyone with enough experience with both knows this.

I never saw the sense in chasing another 50-100 fps from a smaller case when that same velocity was easily achieved from a commonly available bigger case.

Based on what I see here with some of the velocities, it won't be long before the primer popping starts. wink

Hey Bob,

I think it has to do with new powder advances and developments being ideally suited to certain case capacity-to-bore volume/bullet weight ranges. We know that as case capacity goes up for a given bore size, powder burn rate needs to decrease. Same with bullet weight- the heavier the bullet in a given case, the slower the ideal burn rate. RL26 may just be a perfect match for the .270/150gr bullet and the 7WSM/RM and 160+gr bullets. Of course Alliant data for the RM is hamstrung by a lower SAAMI pressure rating. A powder like RL33 may show a similar boost to the performance we've come to expect from the STW, or maybe the perfect powder in that burn rate range is yet to come. I know that a while back guys like rcamuglia were seeing speeds out of the .264WM with RL33 that we've never seen before by using previously available powders.

I was genuinely curious about Alliant's pressure-testing system, because if they are measuring pressure in an established and significant way, then we as handloaders can extrapolate that when we use similar components in similar barrel lengths, we'd be operating at similar pressure when we hit the speeds listed in pressure-tested data, which should fall within SAAMI guidelines.

Pressure.

This all makes sense and I would be nervous other than my custom Mauser .270 gets pretty much identical velocities with the same bullets and charges as Alliants' data, which I assume is pressure tested. Mine gives best accuracy 1.5 grains or so off of Alliants' max, which is still pretty close to 3000 fps with a 150 NPT.
One other thought: if we are going to take the risk of making extrapolations regarding case capacity and pressure, why not use the 7mm Weatherby to compare? It is pretty much identical case capacity to the 7mm Rem Mag and there is plenty of pressure tested data showing it in the 3100-3200 fps range with 160s, which would make more sense of the data.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
One other thought: if we are going to take the risk of making extrapolations regarding case capacity and pressure, why not use the 7mm Weatherby to compare? It is pretty much identical case capacity to the 7mm Rem Mag and there is plenty of pressure tested data showing it in the 3100-3200 fps range with 160s, which would make more sense of the data.

DMD: 7mm Weatherby's have freebore,which is similar to adding powder capacity,and the case tis loaded to higher pressures in both factory ammo and hand loading data.

As I recall the cases themselves are a bit lighter and have somewhat more capacity due to head design vs most 7 Rem Mag stuff which is heavier through the head design, and holds a bit less powder.

Plus a lot of 7mm Weatherby data is shown with 26" barrels.

All these little things add up to show a bit more velocity for the 7mm Weatherby, despite similar case capacities. Just the pressures alone can make a difference.

If we long throat a 7 Rem Mag this starts to level the playing field,and IME the 7 Rem Mag comes closer . One I had recently took about the same charges as a 7mm Weatherby with 160 gr bullets and H4831. The silly thing would not shoot well until I approached 7mm Weatherby data..... smile
"Based on what I see here with some of the velocities, it won't be long before the primer popping starts"

A fella could always bush the firing pin hole. That will help.
Have any of you tried it in the 7mm RM with 175gr Partitions?
Might have to try '26 with a 150 grain NBT or 160 NP/NAB in the .280...
Always remember we can push 270's and 280's to new limits with new wonder powders but the laws of internal combustion and physics have not been revoked nor altered and the same applies to larger cases,which also benefit from the new powders.

The larger cases will always hold the advantage in terms of velocity. This will never change.
True Bob but I think the point is simply one of diminishing returns. My whole point to this thread is not that somehow some physics magic happens that a smaller capacity case is faster than a larger case, 7RM in the title of my post. My point was and still is a 150 NPT at 3050 from a 270 is the ballistic equal of a 7RM with a 150 or 160 at the same velocity. I have no doubt that the various 7 mags will use the new powders and run like bullets a bit faster yet.

Having said that my 270 is running the 150 at 3050 using 61 grains of powder. I'm sure a 7 mag can run the same bullet faster - but with more recoil. I contend that my current rifle/load is, for me, about optimum - tolerable recoil, flat trajectory, and light rifle. I've grown to love the Kimber Montana platform for these reasons.

Another case in point, my Kimber 30-06 is coming around in the accuracy department - 1" groups with NPT at 2850 using Re 16 and H4350. I'm fine tuning the reloads and will pick one in the next few weeks. I can see my M70 300 WSM collecting dust as it only runs a 180 at 2950 - and it weighs 1 lb more than my Kimber 06 A bit of overlap between the 2 but is there any such thing as having too many accurate lightweight hunting rifles? ;-)
Consider 80% results at 20% effort rather than 100% results at 100% effort.

Stuff gets pretty damn easy.
B: I understand what you are saying.... I've been loading and killing with a 270 for 45+ years... smile

You just added 50 fps to my "best" 150 NPT load for the 270 from 25 years ago. Not to criticize it; it's nice, but I have seen these sort of things before with MRP, N205, H205, RL25, 7828, etc so all of this is really not new for me.

Improvements in velocity are very incremental and after years of watching this sort of thing with new miracle powders and doing it myself, I concluded a long time ago if I want more velocity I buy a bigger case. This is far safer and easier than the pressure "guessing" we all do without a ballistics lab,and trying to get a smaller case to behave like a bigger one. smile

I always thought the 7 Rem Mag recoil was pretty trivial....we are only talking another 4-6 gr of powder after all....... wink

If I want I can move a 150 gr bullet from a 7 RM at almost 3200 fps.Even the Nosler Manual shows almost a 200 fps gain over your 270 load.

No matter what we do the 270 gets left behind. Yes I know it still kills.
"my 270 is running the 150 at 3050 using 61 grains of powder."

Then tell us what is the average pressure of that load.

When you can do that AND it's within SAMMI specs then I'll believe another "wonder powder" is available. Until then, you're just riding the top of the "velocity bubble" common to most double based powders.

Sometimes, things are exactly as they appear.....
Alliant lists 3022 and I cannot imagine them not pressure testing:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...ight=150&shellid=63&bulletid=367

Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Alliant lists 3022 and I cannot imagine them not pressure testing:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...ight=150&shellid=63&bulletid=367

Norma shows 3002 with 56.7gr of MRP. That 20 fps can simply be due to the barrel and nothing else.
Possibly you could do a little google-fu before you reply.....

For the record, I called them on the load data - let me quote for you "All load data is within SAAMI pressure limits." To help you out a bit more, their velocities with various 150gr bullets: 150 Sierra, 60.2 gr 3037, 150 NPT, 60.8 gr 3022, 150 Speer, 60.4 3024. My load clocks 3040 with 61.0.

Likely you could look up Alliant website on Re26 and call them yourself. You still shooting Cordite?
Just a couple of comments.

A. There is no pressure guessing. I called Alliant - all loads posted are within SAAMI.

B. I've always found Noslers load data a bit optimistic.

C. Still not my point as to running same bullets faster. If I want to run them faster I'd buy a larger case. BTDT. I can assure you 70+ grains of powder under a 160 recoils more than 60-61 grains undera 150 in a 270. The only scope burn I've ever gotten has been with various 7 mags through the years running 160s at 3000.

D. I'm not exactly a 270 virgin. Bought my first in 1979 or 80, shot various deer and similar creatures with it including a couple of mule deer and antelope in 1982/83 around Thermopolis.

At the end of the day, I'm not throwing dirt on the 7 mags. I thought I'd share my loads with others and I've been accused of pressure guessing and somehow running the ragged edge of sanity. I don't get it.
You misconstrue.... LOL! smile

Tell me the exact pressure being generated in YOUR rifle with that load. You can't do it of course. You have to run to Aliant for an answer....... so "yes' you are guessing.... wink

I said we ALL "pressure guess" because we really have no idea what pressures are for THAT LOAD IN OUR RIFLES at the time we fire it because we are not hooked up to a ballistic lab to measure those pressures as we watch the velocities. We tend to go by velocity and case life.

Load that same case 8-10 times and if your primer pockets stay tight you may very well have a safe maximum load FOR YOUR RIFLE. If not the quest for the other 50-100 fps is a waste of time. Buy a bigger cartridge.

We can "surmise"; we can run to other sources like Alliant and call them up and they can tell you THEIR loads in THEIR barrels are within SAAMI spec. But they CANNOT tell you what the actual pressures are for their loads and data in your riflebecause of the differences in bullets, powder lots, barrels and chambers. Just because the data is safe n their barrels does NOT mean it is safe in yours. It MIGHT be but you can't prove it. smile

So, yes....you are guessing....I am guessing...most everyone here is guessing when they do load workup as to the pressures being generated in theirrifle with their components.

The only ones NOT guessing is Alliant in their pressure barrels.

Why do you think every manual out there has disclaimers about approaching maximum charges with CAUTION? Because they cannot guarantee their data will be safe in YOUR rifle.....if you blow up your 270 using their data and sue them for damages, you will LOSE. Because you were were "pressure guessing".

You're an experienced shooter...spare me the tales of the hard kicking 7 mags. I don't know a single soul who can handle a 270 and can't handle a 7 mag....ridiculous. Stop crawling stocks and you won't get bit by scopes.

I find it funny that Nosler data is somehow "optimistic" when it doesn't show a single 270 load that moves a 150 gr bullet over 3000 fps; yet Aliant data is "OK" and perfectly safe at 3050 with the same bullet....don't you see any inconsistency there? smile

As to the title of the thread..."who needs a 7 Mag"? the obvious intent of the thread was not to simply report results in the 270; it was to set up the argument that RL26 makes the 270 into a 7 RemMag....which of course is BS. It does not do any such thing.

If you have as much experience with both cartridges as you say you do, you'd know that.
Remember the good old days when a shiny new green box of CorLokts was cool?

Good times.....
I could write a real smart ass series of retorts on your posts but chose not to. I'm fairly comfortable with who I am; your erroneous 'observations' aside. Plus I respect your opinion. I don't agree with your latest posts and don't feel compelled to get into a pissing match with you. People can read this and deduce whatever they want. I'm allowing that we can have different observations on the same phenomena without resorting to a pissing contest. I'd like to think that extends both ways............
Life was simpler in those days. I'm not sure how we ever killed anything <G>
My life with a rifle is paralleling my life with archery. I started my archery life with a simple recurve in the early 1970s. I 'discovered' the compound was a much better mousetrap and bought one. Moved through progressively better compounds and arrived at the top end in the early 1990s. I also shot at some big tournaments. In Detroit in ~ 1992 or 3, I completely missed a target. On camera. In front of 1000 people. Missing a target at that level guarantees you won't place. That episode ruined it for me. I bought a recurve and started shooting recurves, then started building them. I hunted almost exclusively with a bow for 10-12 years. Then came a torn labrum on my right sholder. SLAP type 2 with bone spurs and arthritis ended my archery days. All of that to say, I'm moving back to gentler cartridges and trying to simplify things abit. Heck I even bought some green box Remington's recently to shoot for fun because they were cheap. I fear I'm in danger of losing my rifle Looney patch.
I packed mine with the reloading press when I sold it. Best day ever....
Longtime 270 user here. One thing I know for sure, a 7mm mag shooting 160s at speed kicks noticeably more than a similarly stocked 270 shooting 150s (or anything else for that matter). Many can shoot both, but there is a noticeable difference! Reducing bullet weight on a 7 mm mag helps in the recoil department but I always felt that the real point of shooting a 7mm mag was in using the heavier bullets.
Just an observation from the sidelines!
Possibly you could read AND comprehend. I asked what the pressure was in YOUR rifle, not what Alliant recorded during their testing. The fact is that you simply do not know what the pressure actually is in your rifle.

There are many loads in all the manuals that do not show the "typical pressure signs" that are over pressure in some of my rifles.

That was my point. That extra 100 fps you gained will make all the difference.

Wipe the tears from your cheeks....goodness, how could someone dare question your load and hurt your feelers......

You're obviously still wearing panties.

Running the load in QL, I get the velocity described (or close enough) with a SAAMI-legal pressure and a few KPSI to spare. If your rifle or reloads have some quirk that make them over-pressure, they will also be over velocity - you can't push harder on the bullet with the same pressure curve shape and not have it move faster.

This is not a hot-rod load. It's just a RL-26 load.

As to the comparison to 7mag, I think it's a valid one and I hunt primarily with a 7mag. I prefer the 175 partition @ 2950 out of the 7mag due to the slightly higher SD, BC and diameter but we're talking subtle differences. The cartridges are very similar in capability. I also don't mind 7-mag recoil.

I do however tend to look at RL-17 and RL-26 loads with a grain of salt. They may be accurate and fast, but they tend to be temperature sensitive. For my taste I'd rather slow down 50-100 ft/s, use a Hodgdon extreme powder, and get more stability but I can see the other point of view.
Always remember we can push 270's and 280's to new limits with new wonder powders but the laws of internal combustion and physics have not been revoked nor altered and the same applies to larger cases,which also benefit from the new powders.

The larger cases will always hold the advantage in terms of velocity. This will never change.

As our own Dogzapper said a couple of years back,

"Capacity equals Velocity"
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

I do however tend to look at RL-17 and RL-26 loads with a grain of salt. They may be accurate and fast, but they tend to be temperature sensitive.

The point of RL26 is that it's supposed to be more temp insensitive than RL25... agree on RL17 though. And I am, in general, a fan of H-Extreme powders first before others.
Name calling aside, this is all I'll say on the pressure issue: pinning your argument on 'pressure in your gun', I find it obtuse and more than a bit inane. Apparently we shouldn't trust the data put out by the powder and bullet manufacturers and only use pressure tested data specific to our individual rifles. I trust the ludicrousness of that argument is apparent.

Hey Brad - when I called Alliant on the Re 26 loads, I asked about temperature sensitivity. They said the chemical formula is not designed specifically to be temp insensitive but the powder behaved that way in many/most of their testing. I didn't ask any further on temperature conditions they tested just took them at their word. I'll run it this winter and see for myself. I tried Re 25 when it first came out and it didnt do any better than Re 22 when it got cold.

If you look at the detail on the powder description you'll notice a difference in description on a couple of their powders. They call it their TZ technology. Look at Re16. Looks promising but we'll know when it get cold.
I'd love to see some testing of RL-26 temp sensitivity. In general powders with that high an energy to space ratio are not good in that regard.

They drive bullets really fast though if the burn profile matches the case laugh
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Nice! That'll penetrate like a fine stud horse. Possibly over penetrate... Use with caution cool

Ooooooh, Yeah.

Been using 150 NPT's with '22 or MRP at 2950 for a very long time & killed lotsa stuff with it...........'26 seems to just be more of a good thing. smile

MM
bwinters,

Yeah, I'm going to test 26 for cold sensitivity ASAP in my own rifle this fall. So far it's performed as consistently in temps from around to the high 80's as the Extremes--which do gain some velocity above 70, though not as much as "conventional" powders.

I'm also a little puzzled by the skepticism of some other people about the velocity/pressure 26 produces with 150's in the .270, when so many handloaders have been posting they're getting basically the same velocities as Alliant lists.

This wasn't the case when RL-17 suddenly became the Wonder Powder a few years ago, because handloaders started working up loads BEFORE the publication of pressure-tested data. Any powder will show higher velocities when loads are "worked up" with old-time pressure signs, because such signs don't usually appear until around 70,000 PSI.

But that didn't happen with RL-26, because the data appeared before the powder became available. In fact, I deliberately loaded a few rounds with over a grain more RL-26 than Alliant lists, getting a muzzle velocity of right at 3100 fps from a 22" barrel without the slightest "tradiational" pressure sign. In fact I could lift the bolt handle using my little finger.

Also, Alliant's data often seem to be quite cautious. As an example, the maximum charge they list for RL-22 and 150's in the .270 is 54.0 grains for 2769 fps, both consiberably less than any other major source except Speer's 14th manual (which lists Alliant's 22 data because, at the time, they were both part of the same company). Nosler lists 56.5 of RL-22 for 2913 fps, Hornady 58.7 for 2900, and Barnes 60.0 grains for 3000. Alliant's data for RL-26 may be similarly cautious.

In my own rifle, a new Model 70 with a 22" barrel, I settled on 60.5 grains of 26 with 150-grain Partitions, using the same primer as Alliant, Federal 210's. The only difference is the case: I'm using Winchesters, while Alliant used Federals--which are usually heavier than Winchester .270 cases so produce a little MORE pressure and velocity. The powder charge is .3 grains under Alliant's maximum and gets slightly over 3000 fps in the M70.

It doesn't appear that the load results in any more pressure than those of several other handloaders who've reported similar results with 26. Why would it? We're all using the same information, from a company that appears to be conservative in its published data.
I agree and am a bit puzzled by the responses of some, although I did learn a few things about myself that I didn't know before this thread.
Mule Deer
I deliberately loaded a few rounds with over a grain more RL-26 than Alliant lists, getting a muzzle velocity of right at 3100 fps from a 22" barrel without the slightest "tradiational" pressure sign. In fact I could lift the bolt handle using my little finger.

My results pretty much as well.

From my testing a year and 9 months ago on a cold January day.

270 Win 22" 700 Ti

150 Nosler Partition
RL 26 63.0
Nosler brass
Fed 215 Mag primer
I bumped the COAL to 3.40 from 3.35

Accuracy was just under an inch with the cold bore shot.
3 shots were touching.

I feel very comfortable shooting 61.0 grains for 3,020 average in my 22" barrel 270 Win.

I wouldn't call the 270 as good as a 7 mag though. I shoot a Tikka SL in 7 mag and 145 LRX's at 3,300 mv.

As to the title of the thread..."who needs a 7 Mag"? the obvious intent of the thread was not to simply report results in the 270; it was to set up the argument that RL26 makes the 270 into a 7 RemMag....which of course is BS. It does not do any such thing.

If you have as much experience with both cartridges as you say you do, you'd know that.

Spot On and well said.
I'm a long time loader & chronographer (1981) for both 270 W & 7 RM.

IF 3050 fps was ALL I could get w/150s out of a 7 RM, 24" bll I would have given up a long time ago.

I'm NOT knocking RL 26 but the 270 does not equal the 7--- at least not yet and I doubt it ever will.

Just try getting 3100+ with 160 gr bullets from a 270 W.

Jerry

ps - I'm with SU here. I run 139HBTSP at 3300 very easy in the 7 mag.

Pressure.

And proper reference Ammo to calibrate it !

The problem with hot-rodding a .270 is that the book loads are based upon the 65Kpsi SAAMI standard.

Once you're Over that standard you are Over!

MD has stated here several times that traditional pressure signs don't show up until 70Kpsi +

Is your receiver Trued, and the Lugs lapped ?

Please tread carefully
Let's try this calmly.

Load data:
270 win, 150 NPT, 3040 ft/sec, BC 0.465
7RM, 150 NPT, 3250, BC 0.456
7RM, 160 NPT, 3000, BC 0.475

40 degrees, 5000 ft elev

First run, zero is 250 yds for all

270/150 2.4. 2.0. -3.3. -13.8. -30.8
7mm/150 1.9. 1.7. -2.8. -12.1. -26.6
7mm/160. 2.5. 2.0. -3.3. -14.1. -31.5

A grand total of 4.2 inches flatter for the 7mm/150 combo. I'd submit that in 30+ years of shooting a 7RM, I never got 3250 with a 150. Not even in my 7 WSM in recent years. Drop velocity down to 3200 and the difference is 3.2 inches.

In all fairness, I ran the numbers using a max rise above line of sight of 3.2 inches. Why I use 3.2 I don't know except I've done that for a long time.

Same data as previous.

270/150. 2.7. 2.6. -2.3. -12.5. -29.2
7mm/150. 2.5. 2.8. -1.2. -9.8. -23.9
7mm/160. 2.7. 2.4. -2.7. -13.3. -30.4

Again assuming the 7mm can get 3250 with a 150 gr, a total difference of 5.3 inches at 500 yards. With a more realistic 3200, the difference is 4.0 inches. I ran 150s at 3150 in my 7mms. I've generally considered the 7RM as 3200 with 140s, 3100 with 150s, and 3000 with 160s. Most data sources back that up, especially given the SAAMI standard. I find it interesting most folks run the 7RM above SAAMI and don't think twice but take offense at running Re26 at mfr suggestions. We'll leave that a!one.

Bottom line, the 4 inch advantage is lost on me.

And before someone starts with my use of Noslers bullets, it's my bullet of choice - feel free to use what you want.

As to the recoil sensation, to each his own. I have a surgically repaired shoulder. Recoil differences between 25 and 30 ft/lbs are noticeable to me.

I promise to never again have any appearance of goring the sacred cow.
If it's going where you want, as fast as you want, with the bullet you want, it's a winner...
Originally Posted by 16bore
If it's going where you want, as fast as you want, with the bullet you want, it's a winner...

YEP!
When it comes to the 270 W, I was never in the 'closet'!!

JOC famously said, " The 270 Winchester, Every Man's Beltless Magnum "

AFAIC, the 270 is hard to beat and FEW equal it.

At the same time, Real Magnums are just that.

Jerry
Is that load/bullet good for coyotes?
I'd say barely. If you ever seen the movie "Bernie" - it would make a good armadillo gun.
Originally Posted by jwall
At the same time, Real Magnums are just that.

The term "Real Magnums" is kind of funny... as we know, the term "Magnum" was a marketing term coined by Holland and Holland. Of course it comes from the world of wine, but we're talking brass and powder, not glass and Pinot.

We know what it means to us today, ie, a case of higher capacity than "normal" cartridges, but using "real" and "magnum" in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron.

Add to the fact the belt on "magnums" is an unnecessary marketing appendage on most post Holland cartridges, and "real" and "magnum" start sounding like Dolly Parton's "real boobs."

Just a Sunday morning rabbit trail. Carry on... grin

Just came back from range.

T3 Superlight

150 Partitions
60.5gr RL26
CCI BR2 primers
Nosler brass, 1x fired and neck sized.
3.300" COAL

2968 fps
2967 fps
2978 fps

Should add that with 7mm RM and 175 Partitions, 65.0gr RL26 I had a 3 shot average of 2904 fps. Two rifles shot one after the other.
Practically identical dope and the only difference is +/- 300 FPE.
Arac looks good could possibly go up slightly on the 7RM or try a hotter primer. But that's plenty of velocity for each.
Originally Posted by Arac
Just came back from range.

T3 Superlight

150 Partitions
60.5gr RL26
CCI BR2 primers
Nosler brass, 1x fired and neck sized.
3.300" COAL

2968 fps
2967 fps
2978 fps

Should add that with 7mm RM and 175 Partitions, 65.0gr RL26 I had a 3 shot average of 2904 fps. Two rifles shot one after the other.

You can easily achieve 3,050 fps with your 7mm rem mag and 160's with RL25. That 270 load looks quite promising though..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You can easily achieve 3,050 fps with your 7mm rem mag and 160's with RL25. That 270 load looks quite promising though..

I am sure you are right, but I like the 175's.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I am sure you are right, but I like the 175's.

Sorry about that. The 175's at the speed you posted has got to be a sledge hammer too. Carry on. Sounds like you got some good loads there. If I don't sell my 270 too soon, I'll try some of that RL26 powder in her..
So amid all this talk of RL26 speed (I believe it's real with 150's and absolutely within SAAMI limits), what about accuracy relative to other powders? Is anyone finding same or better accuracy than their favored, albeit slower, powders?

In my rifle, a recent Model 70 Featherweight, accuracy is very similar to H4831SC, IMR7977 and RL-22, the powders that performed best with 150's prior to RL-26.
H1000 was a tiny bit better in the accuracy department at ~ 2950 IIRC. H4831 and Re26 were about the same accuracy ~ 1". The ES on Re26 was pretty low.
OK tried RL 26 in my 270 Win LH Custom Rem 700 with a 22 " Mtn contour .

150 Nosler LR Accubond RP Cases, CCI 200 primers, 60 GR RL 26 3039 FPS, 60.5 3065 FPS, 60.8 3086 FPS Best accuracy was 3 shots 1.4 "

150 Gr Nosler Part. Seconds with crimp groove.
60 GR RP 26 3054 FPS, 60.5 3065 FPS, 61 3085 FPS.
Best Accuracy was 60 GR RL 26 3 Shots .30 " at 100 yards!

Pretty impressed primers looked good 22 " barrel 270 Win 3050 FPS with 150 gr and accurate !

Tried RL 26 in my Ruger Hawkeye 1 in 9 twist 243 Win 22 " barrel

95 GR Nosler BT WW case CCI 200 primer 47.5 Gr 3186 FPS around 2 " 48 GR same speed .90 " group

105 Gr Horn A Max 46 GR 2952 FPS 46.5 GR 2970 47 gr 3010 FPS around 2 " groups.

Need some data for 280 Remington want to try it with 150 gr ?
Those are some pretty impressive numbers for a 270/150's. 7Mag argument or not.
The 95 grain 243 is scooting right along as well.
150 Gr Nosler Part. Seconds with crimp groove.
60 GR RP 26 3054 FPS, 60.5 3065 FPS, 61 3085 FPS.

For an interesting comparison

I shot RL26 and 150 grain Nosler Partitions in the 280 Rem today.

Ruger No 1-A 22" barrel

Norma brass
Rem 9 1/2 primer
coal 3.25

60.0 grains at 3,016
61.0 grains at 3,065
62.0 grains at 3,100 even.

Not even a smidgen of classic pressure signs.

Wish I had some 28/160s to try. I'm guessing they'll do 3,000.

What was accuracy like got some loaded up going to try next week. Thanks Kurt
That is some fine performance out of the .280 as well.
Anybody tried R26 in a 243AI with a 95 gr bullet yet?
Figure if it will work that well in a 243 it might be good in an AI.

Going to try and get some 270 150 gr bullets after work today as all I have are 130's.
Originally Posted by pullit
Anybody tried R26 in a 243AI with a 95 gr bullet yet?

Nope

As a reference point I worked up to 49gr. with the plain jane .243 and 95, Nosler BT, Partitions, SST's and Berger Hybrid hunter. I haven't run them on the chronograph yet just shot for max charge weight but I am betting North of 3,100 fps. No pressure signs at all but a good stopping point.
Having just returned from running a few rounds from a Ruger #1-A 270 downrange, I have to say that RL26 seems to be somewhat less 'smokeless' than numbers like 4350 and 4831. I don't know it that's related to the decoppering compounds that are added, or if there's another factor involved. It does shoot well with the Hornady spire points I've been shooting though.
RL 26 in my 243 Win 22" RP Cases CCI Primer 47 GR RL 26 105 GR A Max 3063 FPS .68 " 4 shot group.

RL 26, 47.2 gr 1.2" and ejector marks on 1 case. 3105 FPS. Reducing to hot !

Reducing to 46.8 gr and see if I can keep accuracy. First time I have seen 3K with 105 gr in this rifle.

Tried RL 26 in my 24 " 280 Rem it does not like the 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip but I have lots.

RP case , Rem 9 1/2 primer, 150 N BT, 59 gr 3015 FPS 3" group, 59.5 Gr 3.3 " group 3003 FPS, 60 Gr 3035 FPS 4.6" group, 60.5gr 1.6" no excess pressure signs.

Just in from the range...

270 Win Kimber MT 22.5" Barrel
RL26
Federal Virgin Brass
Fed 210 M
150 Nosler Partition
3.297" OAL / .020" Off Lands

3 Qty @ 59.5 = 3,051 fps. Extraction ok. 1.670" Group
3 Qty @ 60.0 = 3,093 fps. Extraction getting stiffer. 1.930" Group.
I Had another 3 Qty loaded at 60.5 but didn't fire them.

I plan on backing off to 58.0, 58.5, and 59.0 and see what results I get. If something looks promising I'll play with seating depth.

Certainly seems to be a quick powder with the 150's... speed alone without accuracy holds no appeal to me, but if I can run at 2,950+ with good accuracy I'd be pleased.

More later...

Originally Posted by Brad
but if I can run at 2,950+ with good accuracy I'd be pleased.

That's doable with several powders other than '26.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
but if I can run at 2,950+ with good accuracy I'd be pleased.

That's doable with several powders other than '26.

MM

True enough.

But man it's been a LONG time since I used a 150 in a 270. smile
270 Win Kimber MT 22.5" Barrel
RL26
Federal Virgin Brass
Fed 210 M
150 Nosler Partition
3.297" OAL / .020" Off Lands

3 Qty @ 58.0 = 2,956 fps.
3 Qty @ 58.5 = 2,973 fps.
2 Qty @ 59.0 = 3,037 fps.

Recap for my rifle:

3 Qty @ 58.0 = 2,956 fps
3 Qty @ 58.5 = 2,973 fps
2 Qty @ 59.0 = 3,037 fps
3 Qty @ 59.5 = 3,051 fps
3 Qty @ 60.0 = 3,093 fps

That's because you sent them all to me wink.

I have a few left if you need some. smile

MM
Recap for my rifle:

3 Qty @ 58.0 = 2,956 fps
3 Qty @ 58.5 = 2,973 fps
2 Qty @ 59.0 = 3,037 fps
3 Qty @ 59.5 = 3,051 fps
3 Qty @ 60.0 = 3,093 fps

So what is the initial verdict from the accuracy department?
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Recap for my rifle:

3 Qty @ 58.0 = 2,956 fps
3 Qty @ 58.5 = 2,973 fps
2 Qty @ 59.0 = 3,037 fps
3 Qty @ 59.5 = 3,051 fps
3 Qty @ 60.0 = 3,093 fps

So what is the initial verdict from the accuracy department?

Poor, but I have no real benchmark with this rifle and this bullet, other than some sub-moa groups with H4350 at 2,860.
Brad,

In my rifle (a Featherweight Classic) 3-shot groups with 150 Partitions are averaging .8 with 60.5 grains, and a little over 3000 fps from the 22" barrel. The primer is the F210 but the brass is Winchester from maybe 4-5 years ago, which tends to run thinner (but harder) than Federal cases. So far haven't run into stiff bolt lift at velocities up to 3100 fps. How much do your Federal cases weigh?

That's because you sent them all to me wink.

I have a few left if you need some. smile

MM

MM: Thanks I am all set. I have so many bullets back here LOL!
John, the Federal cases are around 180 gr's, my WW cases are around 186 gr's., which surprised me.

8400 Montana, .270 Win

Temp 75 degrees

WW brass, 150NP, CCI 250 primer, RL26
over a ProChrony

3 @ 59.0 = 3010
3 @ 60.0 = 3035
2 @ 61.0 = 3070

I had no pressure signs until 61 at which I noted primers had flattened. I was very pleased with the gains. Accuracy testing wasn't really achievable with the gusty winds but I was well within minute of elk. I'm going to work on it some more but for me this was a really good move. I am very pleased.

For reference I fired one cartridge with the same general setup using 7828ssc and got 2920 for a reading on the crony.
Originally Posted by gunnut308

I just have to add that I've laughed about this post since it was put up.
One of the best ever.
Measured groups:

3 Qty @ 58.0 = 2,956 fps - 1.680"
3 Qty @ 58.5 = 2,973 fps - 1.200"
2 Qty @ 59.0 = 3,037 fps - N/A
3 Qty @ 59.5 = 3,051 fps - 1.670"
3 Qty @ 60.0 = 3,093 fps - 1.930"
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brad,

In my rifle (a Featherweight Classic) 3-shot groups with 150 Partitions are averaging .8 with 60.5 grains, and a little over 3000 fps from the 22" barrel. The primer is the F210 but the brass is Winchester from maybe 4-5 years ago, which tends to run thinner (but harder) than Federal cases. So far haven't run into stiff bolt lift at velocities up to 3100 fps. How much do your Federal cases weigh?

This my exact recipe Ive settled on as well - WW brass, Fed 210, 60.5 gr Re26, seated 0.010 off. I shot it on Saturday, velocity was 3038, group was 0.82 gross. I'm loading 30 this week for my elk hunts in WY and CO in a few weeks but will likely use my 30-06 as my primary gun.

I know it will surprise some but I'm on my 5th case loading using Re26 and am still able to seat primers - plus I havent blown up my rifle or myself!
Plus it'll penetrate like a stud horse
I'd love to find some RL 26 locally.

My best load is 57g of H4831SC, RP brass, Fed 210 in a SC Win 70 FW. Accuracy is great; under 1 MOA with 150 Partitions and Hornady's but velocity is only ~2800. This H4381SC load is over book max in all the manuals I have but still not to top end published velocities. I am tickled with the consistent accuracy, but if I can safely get another 150 fps I'll take it!.
Very interesting!
While this new powder seems promising, we will have to see what the future holds for its consistent availability. To alter a quote from Brad, are "powders more alike than different"?
Tag
Originally Posted by BKinSD
8400 Montana, .270 Win

Temp 75 degrees

WW brass, 150NP, CCI 250 primer, RL26
over a ProChrony

3 @ 59.0 = 3010
3 @ 60.0 = 3035
2 @ 61.0 = 3070

I had no pressure signs until 61 at which I noted primers had flattened. I was very pleased with the gains. Accuracy testing wasn't really achievable with the gusty winds but I was well within minute of elk. I'm going to work on it some more but for me this was a really good move. I am very pleased.

For reference I fired one cartridge with the same general setup using 7828ssc and got 2920 for a reading on the crony.

I can't understand why some hate on the outstanding 270 Winchester! That is incredible velocity. In fact, even the 7828 2910 fps is very respectable. I'm not sure there is a better all-around hunting cartridge than the old 270 Winchester!
Have any of you tried it in the 7mm RM with 175gr Partitions?

I have not tried the 26, as I save what I have for a Creed, but in testing, I got good accuracy and over 3000 fps, with Re33 and the 175 from a 26-inch Remington barrel.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Might have to try '26 with a 150 grain NBT or 160 NP/NAB in the .280...

I shoot the 150 gr. Hornady ELD-X and RL26 in my .280. Barrel is 22". With 60 gr., MV is 3020 fps, and accuracy is exceptional. No pressure signs whatsoever, and I am sure I could up the powder charge- just don't see any need to do so. With a BC of .574, this bullet and load are flat shooting and wind-bucking for use in longer ranges.
I've got a bunch of Rl 26, and have played with it in my several 270s.,..

Two impressive bullets with a stiff charge of RL 26...

My favorite for hunting.. Nosler 160 grain SMP Partition.... 2950 fps out of a 24 inch barrel..

The other impressive one for accuracy and velocity together... even at distance...145 grain Match bullet ( can't remember the manufacturer ) after testing it,
gave the rest of the bullets to a friend who wanted to test them out in his rifle...

Honorable mention also goes to a stiff load of RL 26 and a Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip.. Second favorite bullet and load for hunting...
I'm with Seafire...I got 2930 from a 22"/160PT with R26 and 1" average! Since I am not a LRH, I also would rather use a .270 than a 7mm RemMag, and I really like the 7mmRM!

The second lot of RL26 I'm burning through gets 50-60 fps less velocity in my 270's and 243's than the first lot. With 150 NPt's in the 270's 3000 fps is max with the second lot of powder. In fact I backed off the charge a bit so I'm currently getting about 2980 fps.

Also, when I cold weather tested with the first lot I lost about 35 fps in the 270's.
Another .270 Jack thread- love it, not disparaging the 7 belted 7mm's at all but how magical is the good old .270 these days?
Yeah, I get comparably results and this is a gamechanger for me . I always the old speeds were adequate but RL 26 allows me to go to Nosler Partition 150 and 160 grain bullets for elk sized game.
I seldom ever take out the old /06 any longer and the belted 7mm's ( as good as they are) are redundant now.
Have any tried RL26 in the .280 Rem? Or the .28 A.I.?
Just wondering. Chamberings that have suit a 22" barrel and und.30 caliber
Yup, my 280 Rem, 22"barrel, will do a smidge over 3200 with Rel 26 and 140 AB without any of the obvious indications of pressure.
In my last .280 I got fast speeds ( with 150-168) but no accuracy with R26. Some rifles like it, some don't.
All of this stuff with Reloder 26 is great, but until the powder gets to be more available, it really doesn't matter to people that just want to go load and shoot a lot.
Originally Posted by bwinters
270 Win, Re 26, 150 NPT - who needs a 7 mag?

270's are obsolete & everyone that owns one needs to buy a 7 Mag, as in yesterday & schitt-can that POS 270.

And 7 Mag's just lift animals off their feet & throw them to the ground & where they never even move or quiver...................just DRT !!!!

And besides, 7mm bullets are just the very best & are absolute magic; you can shoot a mile & only have a minimum elevation adjustments, if any, so making hits at that range is kids work & a given.

Are you convinced yet??????????????

MM
Originally Posted by bwinters
270 Win, Re 26, 150 NPT - who needs a 7 mag?

270's are obsolete & everyone that owns one needs to buy a 7 Mag, as in yesterday & schitt-can that POS 270.

And 7 Mag's just lift animals off their feet & throw them to the ground & where they never even move or quiver...................just DRT !!!!

And besides, 7mm bullets are just the very best & are absolute magic; you can shoot a mile & only have a minimum elevation adjustments, if any, so making hits at that range is kids work & a given.

Are you convinced yet??????????????

MM

I think you are confusing the 7 mag with the 6.5 Creed........ smile
Just remember 7mm is closer to .277 than .284! smile
MM - NO! cool

I forgot about this thread. Unfortunately I donated that 270 to a poor disadvantaged yute in Kansas City a couple years back. I wish I still had that rifle. That rifle/bullet/powder combo covered alot of ground. I shot 2 elk that year with that setup. It worked well. Ive even considering buying another which seems to be redundant with my current 280 AI. Which gets 3000 with a 160 Accubond, Re23, and 5 shots at MOA. In the true spirit of this thread, there is zero data for the 280 and Re23. shocked

I havent run a 160 Accubond though an elk yet but think it might work.
BTW Re 23 is more accurate in my 280 than Re 26.
I got 16 lbs of RL 26 last week from Recobs.
© 24hourcampfire