Home
Looks like the next cartridge I'll be loading for will be the 358 Winchester. I owned on briefly, that liked the 225 Grain Sierra BTSP. This one is a bolt gun with a 20 inch tube. I want to shoot pigs and maybe a black bear with it. What do you think is the best bullet out there for this setup?

200gr TSX and 51-52grs of TAC.

If you have the room in the magazine it is tough to beat the 200 gr Accubond. The 180 and 200 gr TTSX are good ones too.
Had good luck with the 200 gr Hornady. Accubond is a good choice as well, though I'm not certain you'll need the toughness for either hogs or bear.
The hogs I've taken have all been DRT
250 grain Speer with the Hornady 250 spire point second.
225 gr Sierra GameKing.
Can't comment on hogs or bear but, the Speer 250 will swat elk down most satisfactorily. I have Lyman's 358318HP that I want to try on deer next fall.
Get a box of 200gr Interlokts...it will kill any hog ever born. Their not armor plated. powdr
Originally Posted by Steelhead
200gr TSX and 51-52grs of TAC.

This ^^^^
+1 for the 225gr. Sierra GK or Nosler 225gr., both perform well in my .35 Whelen. Don't see any reason they wouldn't in the .358.
I've not shot any bears, but I'd shoot them with my same 200 or 225 NAB load the deer and hogs hate, if it'll work in your mag box. The thing about the 358: pick whatever 200-250gr bullet shoots good, whther C&C, bonded, or barnes, and just go point it at whatever you want to die, and it'll most likely just roll over..no matter which brand/weight you pick....it's a medium velocity 35.
I suggest looking at the 220 grain Speer flat-point. I use it in my 356 and think that it would be a "go to" for anything in North American between the average whitetail and brown/grizzly/polar bears.

I shot a whitetail with it and it exhibited almost no expansion on its way through and through. I went to the 180 grain Speer FP for deer, as it expands more quickly and does more damage.
Originally Posted by Bbear
Had good luck with the 200 gr Hornady.

I had excellent performance with those as well. I haven't had a 358 W in several yrs. so I don't know if the Hornady is still made the same. Worth checking out.

Jerry
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I suggest looking at the 220 grain Speer flat-point. I use it in my 356 and think that it would be a "go to" for anything in North American between the average whitetail and brown/grizzly/polar bears.

I shot a whitetail with it and it exhibited almost no expansion on its way through and through. I went to the 180 grain Speer FP for deer, as it expands more quickly and does more damage.

I had the opposite experience with the 220 Speer, over expanded and did not exit two feral hogs, both had to be looked for. But this was out of a Whelen and speed might have been too high at 2600 fps. Good practice bullet though.
Will be using 160 grain raptors for grizzly, caribou, and moose this fall out of my .358 win.
The 200 gr TTSX worked fine on this hog at 230 yards.

[Linked Image]

And this one at 70 yards. Bullet was pulled from the hip after entering the throat slightly quartering. The only bullet recovered in 10 or so animals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Worked fine on bigger critters too.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM
The 200 gr TTSX worked fine on this hog at 230 yards.

[URL=http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/boxhead61/media/Africa420-1.jpg.html]

Nice pig! I remember watching some like that as a kid in Kenya. They are some homely little fellas, but cool tusks. That's a good picture.
Used to use the 200 gr TSX with H-322 for 2700 fps in my Ruger Hawkeye, ran out of those and wanted to switch to the 200 gr TTSX version.

I selected the slightly slower burning yet more compact RL-10 powder for the longer TTSX version in the stubby 358 hull and was rewarded with equal accuracy and velocity, and maybe even slightly lower pressures.

48 grs RL-10 in new Hornady brass with a c.o.l. of 2.800" is a perfect combo, haven't shot a bear, but 25 or 30 deer and pigs haven't caught either bullet yet.
Thanks to everyone!
"Numba one bullet for hogs and bear out of the 358 Winchester"

Is there a bad one?
200 grain Hornady always works on Whitetails and one Black Bear for me.

Dan
© 24hourcampfire