Home
Posted By: davet Source for cast bullets - 05/05/17
I'm looking for cast bullets that are close to pure lead or 30-1, that are also powder coated.

Is there any manufacturer that you use, or company that you recommend for this? Ideally a .357 158grn hollow point. Looking to load these to 1,000-1150 fps.

I have plenty of hobbies and don't want to cast or powder coat at this time, I'd rather just pay the man and shoot.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Source for cast bullets - 05/05/17
I don't have a commercial source for the hollow points you're looking for, since I cast my own. However, you should know that you do not need (or want) close to pure lead for that velocity range, unless you want expansion from a flat nose bullet. With a decent hollow point, you can have good expansion at ~8-12 BHN. Something like 96-2-2 alloy should work fine and should be easier to find in commercial bullets. Hope that helps.
Posted By: Boogaloo Re: Source for cast bullets - 05/06/17
As for a product that is commonly available that would have similar terminal performance, the closest analog to what you are describing would be a plated hollow point bullet from a supplier like Berry's, for example, or just a standard JHP, as they both have essentially pure lead cores.

Some, but not all, plated bullets are rated to 1100fps, so read the fine print.
© 24hourcampfire