Home
Do the older Lee hand prime tool except the same shell holders as the new Lee priming tools?

Also if not Lee what is the best hand held priming tool, the best bang for the buck these days?

Thanks

Tracy
I think they do I am not sure how old mine is but it accepts recent shell holders. But I got tired of loosing or buying shell holders so I went with the RCBS hand tool. It is almost universal and only when I put in a case wrong have I had one jump out. I justified the price difference on the cost of additional shell holders.
OP, yes.
With these priming tools, what is best bang for the buck these days?
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
With these priming tools, what is best bang for the buck these days?

I have a Lee Ergo-Prime that I'm quite happy with. I don't see any reason to change or anything out there better to replace it with.
I use the Lee, never tried any of the others. I bought a few of them on eBay, and have one set up for every case head diameter I shoot, and a couple of spares.
I used the Lee for bout 20 years or so. Then the handle / lever broke. Picked up an RCBS to replace it,and fell in love. Should have started with the RCBS. Much more comfortable and the leverage is much better. Uses your regular shell holder as well. Pretty speedy in comparison,but a Solid unit.
I started with the LEE priming tool and now use the RCBS, I have two set-up for the calibers that I load. They are simple, rugged and trouble free.
I have used the round Lee's for years. Used the RCBS at a friends but prefer the older Lee's. I also tried the square Lee's but did not like them as they had added a step in the primer transfer that would let a primer escape if not handled correctly at all times. I have not tried the new triangle ones. My friend got a bench mounted priming tool after He hurt his hand, that worked well, but I still prefer the old round Lee primers.
miles
Look for the old original round Lee priming tool at gun shows. They are still the best in my opinion.
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Look for the old original round Lee priming tool at gun shows. They are still the best in my opinion.

Egzackly! I have two of the old, one of the new, plus an RCBS model. I use em all but the old round model is the best IMO. Surprisingly, they have quite a following among reloaders...check em out on eBay...prices get run up in a hurry on ones in good shape.
I owned and used a bunch of Lee hand priming tools, as well as RCBS, including the old round ones up to the newer Ergo Prime (x3). After LEE replaced my 3rd broken Ergo Prime, I sold it and bought a Sinclair hand priming tool. I never knew what I was missing, and I'll certainly never go back. Leverage and consistency of feel are incomparable to the LEE stuff.

Egzackly! I have two of the old, one of the new, plus an RCBS model. I use em all but the old round model is the best IMO. Surprisingly, they have quite a following among reloaders...check em out on eBay...prices get run up in a hurry on ones in good shape.

Or ebay.

I bought 2 "broken" ones there cheap and by adding the parts I already had Frankensteined 2 complete ones.

But they have several working ones for sale now.
RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool
© 24hourcampfire