Home
Posted By: SuperCub BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17
I recently had a 700 re-tubed in 35Whelen and am now just starting working up loads. Wanted to use some BL-C2 I have here with 250gr Speers and am finding some random hangfires with CCI 200s primers. I use 2 or 3 other ball powders in other rifles and have not had this problem but do know that sometimes it has been reported that ball powders require a hotter primer.

I am going to try some WW LrgRifle and WW LrgRifle mag primers in the next batch. It's a bit disconcerting to shoot a 7# scoped 35Whelen with full house 250gr loads and getting a delayed ignition. Scope got me once in the eye brow this morning. frown

Any thoughts and/or experiences?
Posted By: mathman Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17
In 308 Winchester ball powder loads I've had better results with WLRs and CCI 250s over 200s.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17

I'm sure the Speer Manual will indicate they used CCI-250's. I always run a mag primer with ball powders. I really like Varget with the 250's in the Whelen. 4064 and R-15 are other good bets.
Posted By: noKnees Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17
I have used a BL-C2 in the 338RCM. Which despite the 100 years or so between the Whelen and the RCM are probably fairly similar in capacity and not to far in bore diameter. In general I had good results withe BL-C2 getting the best velocity and very good accuracy. Like so many I have always used a mag primer with ball powders. Never had a hang fire. My concerns were more with temperature sensitivity ( although that was minor as it was rifle intended for NB moose). My only other observation is that there seemed to be a fair amount of powder fouling come cleaning time.
Posted By: JayJunem Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17
Just looked in my Speer Manual #14. For the 35 Whelen with 250 gr. bullets and BL-C(2) they used CCI 250 primers.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm sure the Speer Manual will indicate they used CCI-250's.

Mine does, but I was being slack and used the first primers I saw on the bench. Not next time.

I use CCI #450 mag small rifle primers for H335, but will certainly switch to hotter primers for all ball powders in the future.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/23/17
Originally Posted by noKnees
My concerns were more with temperature sensitivity ( although that was minor as it was rifle intended for NB moose).

Doesn't get cold here for moose season. It's the last full week of Sept.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: BL-C2 hangfire - 06/24/17
Match or Magnum primers for ball powder, even for something as small as a .223.

Cold CCI 200 behind 80 grains of ball, yea, you should expect a hang fire.

I'd expect CCI 250's or Winchester Magnums, either one to give you good results.
© 24hourcampfire