Home
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17
I don't reload much, but man does it hurt! I've started having arthritis in both thumbs about a year ago.

I have a Lyman case prep setup and RCBS press and dies. I'm working on prepping 150 30-06 brass, once fired. Had no real trouble depriming and resizing. But, they have to be trimmed as they are longer than book indicated max length. Just a tad, but too long. Working the trimmer and deburing tool are just murder. Turning that little crank and twisting the deburring tool. cry

Other than buying the $350 RCBS Universal Case Prep Center (which looks nice!) do you have any hints and suggestions on "less hand intensive" brass prep techniques?
Posted By: SEM Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17
I bought the RCBS power trimmer along time ago thankfully, I know your pain I still use the hand crank on real small trim jobs or if I don't have the right shell holder, I just do 10 and walk away till tomorrow, even the WFT trimmers hurt my hands after 10 or so

Getting old anit for p___ys
You can get adapters for most trimmers to attach a cordless screwdriver. Redding makes an adapter to use 8-32 tools in the screwdriver and you can get debur and chamfer tools that will screw into it. The Hornady case prep trio and duoprep might be worth a look too.
Look at the Frankford Arsenal model. I don't have one but 2 of my friends do. I may not be able to hold out much longer. Hasbeen
For small lots, 40 cases or less, I use file trim dies.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17
I took the crank handle off my trimmer and screwed in a 1/4 -20 bolt that i cut off. Then attached the cordless drill to it
Posted By: smokepole Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I took the crank handle off my trimmer and screwed in a 1/4 -20 bolt that i cut off. Then attached the cordless drill to it

That's what I do too.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
You can get adapters for most trimmers to attach a cordless screwdriver. Redding makes an adapter to use 8-32 tools in the screwdriver and you can get debur and chamfer tools that will screw into it.

This.
Posted By: shaman Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17
I don't have arthritis all that bad, but I do have really large hands. The handle on the RCBS trimmer was too small from the get-go, so I just place my palm on it and crank it that way. It saves me a lot of cramping-up.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17
I have had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, I used to reload handgun ammunition 500 at a time. The solution for me was to build a press powered by an electric motor, I added power to the other handloading operations with a cordless screwdriver.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/27/17

Got to say that sounds easy enough. Got to figure out how to get the handle off!
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I don't reload much, but man does it hurt! I've started having arthritis in both thumbs about a year ago.

I have a Lyman case prep setup and RCBS press and dies. I'm working on prepping 150 30-06 brass, once fired. Had no real trouble depriming and resizing. But, they have to be trimmed as they are longer than book indicated max length. Just a tad, but too long. Working the trimmer and deburing tool are just murder. Turning that little crank and twisting the deburring tool. cry

Other than buying the $350 RCBS Universal Case Prep Center (which looks nice!) do you have any hints and suggestions on "less hand intensive" brass prep techniques?

You could get rid of that Lyman case prep center and buy the Frankford Arsenal unit. It will save your hands big time.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/28/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You could get rid of that Lyman case prep center and buy the Frankford Arsenal unit. It will save your hands big time.

Watched the video. That does look nice!
I turned down the shaft on one of the Lyman trimmers that i have.

It fits in the 1/2 in.chuck and i use a cordless drill now.

Even when doing small lots of brass it makes it easier and besides i already had the drill.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/30/17
Grandkids. I have arthritis and it comes and goes. Mine's in my hands worse than other places, and it's especially bothersome trying to do tedious work with the fingers, such as priming cases. I have gotten my granddaughter to place the primers in the priming arm for me, as I was having trouble holding onto them. The rest of the process I could muddle through as long as I took my time. I did buy a Frankford Arsenal case prep center, and it's absolutely great when it comes to trimming and deburring cases.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 06/30/17

Got to say that sounds easy enough. Got to figure out how to get the handle off!

Mine just unscrews, reverse threading.
Posted By: powdr Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/01/17
Geezeer, go to the Lee website and get their lock and stud for their case trimmer. A 30-06 single case trimmer w/holder will run you less than $10. It has a 3/8in button on the bottom of the trimmer. Just attach it to your cordless screw driver and trim till the brass stops coming off and then run the burring tool on the inside and outside. Their tool will cut the squarest mouths in the business and all the exact same length. It's not like you're going to do 500 cases at a time. powdr
Posted By: old_willys Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/02/17
For trimming try a WTF - Worlds Finest Trimmer, mount it in a drill set it up just once and you can trim 100 cases in just a few minutes. I ordered a 35 whelen trimmer and I use it on 25-06 / 270 / 30-06 and my 35. It is really only seconds per case.

https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa

Worlds Finest Trimmer
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/02/17
The WFT is very nice! Pricey too, and it only trims. And I'd need 3 of them. Still have to hand de-burr unless I picked up a powered de-burr.

Great suggestion and I've never seen them before. Thanks O_W
Posted By: mistem Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/02/17
I really like the Dillon die trimmer.... dies are somewhat spendy. Full length size or bump the shoulder back for a crush fit.... throw them in the tumbler to clean off the lube and make them shinny. I deburr them while watching TV with my cordless Hornady power tool. When it's time to load them... they go through a lee collet die to decap and uniform the neck without stretching them.
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/02/17

I also have Arthritis, Right hand Left knee,and Feet. Like others have said I went to the Frankford Arsenal Trimmer. Not a total solution
but the best their is. I get a cream Script from my Dr. for Voltaren gel that helps hands and feet a lot.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/02/17
Some good advice for me as well. I mostly use the Lee unit on a hand drill but with the RCBS with a motor if you get a head that also champfers and deburs you have combined three steps into one so less chance of flaring anything up. I find a preventive Alleve and a shot of whisky helps while doing non critical steps too.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/02/17
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

I also have Arthritis, Right hand Left knee,and Feet. Like others have said I went to the Frankford Arsenal Trimmer. Not a total solution
but the best their is. I get a cream Script from my Dr. for Voltaren gel that helps hands and feet a lot.

I tried that,but it makes me jittery, wide awake.

I found SOMBRA, Warm Therapy gel on Amazon that really works .Sometimes locla chiropractors carry it.
The SOMBRA Cool Therapy Gel is great for aching muscles.

They both run about $12 for an 8 ounce jar, + shipping of course
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/03/17
Guys, I had no idea 1/2 the men in here had arthritis! Are we that old?

I ordered a Frankford Plantinun Case Prep Centher thing just a minute ago. I think that is going to help me a ton. I liked the WFT alot, but I'd have to buy 3 or 4 of them, so I did what I did. Looking forward to it.

If anyone is interested, Graf & Son's has them on sale for $127 plus $8 shipping. Decent deal!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Reloading vs. Arthritis - 07/03/17
Great choice. Another remedy that works for me is Hemp Oil not sure why it works but it does. Don't get the stuff from the Denver or Seattle Airport stores it will impair your reloading.
Guys, I had no idea 1/2 the men in here had arthritis! Are we that old?

I ordered a Frankford Plantinun Case Prep Centher thing just a minute ago. I think that is going to help me a ton. I liked the WFT alot, but I'd have to buy 3 or 4 of them, so I did what I did. Looking forward to it.

If anyone is interested, Graf & Son's has them on sale for $127 plus $8 shipping. Decent deal!

Dang, that is a great deal. I was happy with the $150.00 I paid for mine. You'll find it is well worth the money. I have some tools like my RCBS trimmer and cordless Lyman chamfer tool, that will probably never get used again..
© 24hourcampfire