Home
Posted By: Bkollock3470 Bullet seating question - 07/23/17
I have a Remington 700 that has been rebored to 35 whelen. JES left me plenty of free bore and I am planning to load 225 accubond. I was wondering where a good place to start seating these bullets would be. I was told that whelens like to be seated well off the lands.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bullet seating question - 07/23/17
I start Accubonds .050" off. In my Whelen I'm probably .125" off with the 225 AB.
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Bullet seating question - 07/24/17
Don't be afraid of seating off the lands. Most of my rifles find a sweet spot well off the recommended starting distance of 0.01 off lands.
Posted By: AHole Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
Originally Posted by Bkollock3470
I have a Remington 700 that has been rebored to 35 whelen. JES left me plenty of free bore and I am planning to load 225 accubond. I was wondering where a good place to start seating these bullets would be. I was told that whelens like to be seated well off the lands.

In the cases idiot.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17

A fitting response from an AHole.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
WTH?

Another consideration is magazine length- will it allow you to take advantage of that long throat?
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

So you are the expert who knows exactly the correct seating depth for ever rifle? Give me a break. This question is just like the "best load" questions. Only idiots would give an answer. What works in one rifle does not work in all rifles. Anybody who has loaded long enough to get dust on their reloading bench should know this.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
No idea how much free bore one has, so I'd suggest you do your own research. I have several Weatherby's, and regardless of slug one will never reach the lands. I seated some loads out so far that just running them through the action would induce run out, and some out well past magazine constraints too. I have no issues with that, as I'll shoot in single shot mode if that's what it takes to get the desired accuracy. None of those loads shot worth sh-t. With those cartridges, seating the slugs to at least a caliber deep brought them into the moa realm. I think I'm getting more consistent ignition when the cartridges have a good firm grip on the bullet.

Conversely, one is likely getting consistent pressures when he's bumping the lands.

Have a good one, and do let us know what does and does not work.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
Originally Posted by AHole

So you are the expert who knows exactly the correct seating depth for ever rifle? Give me a break. This question is just like the "best load" questions. Only idiots would give an answer. What works in one rifle does not work in all rifles. Anybody who has loaded long enough to get dust on their reloading bench should know this.

Anybody that's reloaded also knows that certain loads tend to shoot well in lots of different rifles in the same chambering.

Anybody who's participated in a forum like this one also knows what to expect from someone who calls himself AHole.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
Start at the lands and work back.

It's silly to start at some arbitrary distance back, you then have 2 different directions to go.
Posted By: mathman Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
Originally Posted by smokepole

Anybody that's reloaded also knows that certain loads tend to shoot well in lots of different rifles in the same chambering.

Yep. Consider the 308 Winchester for example. Federal match, along with several handloads I can put together, are reliable enough to tell you if they don't shoot well there's more than likely a rifle and/or scope problem.
Posted By: tzone Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's silly to start at some arbitrary distance back, you then have 2 different directions to go.

Hmmm. Excellent point and KISS advice.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Wow! somebody with a brain.

Seated this way you could load a bunch then take a press with you to the range and keep seating deeper until you find the sweet spot. You might even find it was easier to go deeper than pull the bullet out a few thousands with a puller.

The total absence of intelligence and common sense here by the majority of regular posters is sickening but does provide some chuckles.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yep. Consider the 308 Winchester for example. Federal match, along with several handloads I can put together, are reliable enough to tell you if they don't shoot well there's more than likely a rifle and/or scope problem.

Well I learned something new. I did not know the sweet spot for every 308 was the same in every rifle. I may write a book about all the wisdom posted here. It would get more laughs than McManus.
Blow me.
Typical, have an idea or opinion and if is does not argee with yours then attack.
Posted By: deflave Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17

Start long. Then you only have one direction to experiment with in search of improvement.

Dave
Typical, have an idea or opinion and if is does not argee with yours then attack.

No, dipshit. You have an idea contrary to my actual experience, express yourself about the difference of opinion in an assholish manner as befits your handle, so you received an appropriate brief response.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
Deflave and Steelhead suggestions are exactly the way I start. Listen to your gun it will tell you what it wants. I use a crono not for looking for the ultimate velocity but seeing if I'm increasin powder if theres an increase in velocity if not that tells me my gun does not like that powder. When you change something only one thing at a time. Use bullet seating depth as a fine tuning tool. Just my 2 cents
Originally Posted by mathman

No, dipshit. You have an idea contrary to my actual experience, express yourself about the difference of opinion in an assholish manner as befits your handle, so you received an appropriate brief response.

You are probably right about my attitude, no, you are exactly right. But I am just following the new rules. Biggest ass wins. Look at the Adoption thread in Nunters Campfire and look at all the kind words Jeff got for just adopting a dog. I just thought I would get in line with the new way.

Also you give no credit to my suggestion of seating long and slowly seating deeper at the rand to find out what works rather that just guess what might work because it works in someone's rifle.

I suggest you get use to the new campfire. The good guys are dropping like flies and it looks like guys like be may be the only survives,
I wasn't homing in on length in and of itself.
Alright, but my suggestion was a bad one?
Never said it was.

In the cases idiot.

Can you show us on the doll where the bad man touched you? Did it hurt? Perhaps there lies a Freudian clue within your chosen moniker ... Suck it up buttercup and get over it.
Well I loaded my initial groups at 20 off the lands and I am not sure with the boat tail bullets that is enough. There just may not be enough bullet in the case.
I had ankle surgery in June and just haven't been able to make it to the range to see how there are going to shoot.

Of all the places to attempt a flaming thread, the reloading forum is probably the last one I'd think of..........takes a real A-hole.

Casey
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bullet seating question - 07/25/17
A-holes are like opinions, everybody's got one.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Bullet seating question - 07/26/17
Same comment asked by Gnoahhh with no response. Not wanting to jump into the fire, but perchance, is your magazine box length going to determine the max length you can seat the bullet to.

Next question, How does that AB match your twist? I chose an AB for my original 6.5 Swede because it is longer bullet than usual and matched the twist rate better
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Bullet seating question - 07/26/17
So which one of our old forum personalities is AHole?

My money is on TAK
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bullet seating question - 07/26/17
Originally Posted by bellydeep
So which one of our old forum personalities is AHole?

My money is on TAK

LOL, he's a man who knows himself, I can see him choosing "A-hole" as his moniker.
At 20 off the lands they fit the magazine just fine. And the twist rate is 14 so I think the 225s should Work well.
© 24hourcampfire