Home
Posted By: Enrique 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Hey Gang,

Does anyone have any good 243 load or loads to try out? I am looking for something in the 80 to 100 grain weight. Shots will be closer than father I hope since its for my son but I figure max range will be 300 to 400 yards with most shot opportunity being below that. Any info or opinion appreciated.

Kique
Posted By: super T Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
What is the intended target. Deer? What?
Posted By: JPro Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
I suggest the 95/100gr Partition over something with a burn rate from 4350 to 7828. There are lots of good loads out there, and that bullet has always treated me well in the .243Win. I'd also be tempted to try the 90gr E-Tip, as the 100gr .257 version has been a winner.
Posted By: Aviator Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
95gr partiton over 41gr of H4350..
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
80gr TTSX and 4350...
Posted By: Zerk Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by super T
What is the intended target. Deer? What?

Given the title, probably.

I have working on Hornady 100 btsp with varget. Haven't chronoed. Never shot anything with it but paper.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
80 TTSX and Varget. Great shooter through all 3 guns I have tried it in. First time I shot a deer with it, the performance was like a 270 or 30-06. Hits very hard, penetrates fully, and gives great blood trails.
Posted By: 700xcr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
I use 41.0grs of RL17 powder with a Barnes 80gr. TTSX
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
I'd try 95/100 NPT, depending on twist and groups over RL-16. Burn rate similar to 4350, more speed.

DF
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by JPro
I suggest the 95/100gr Partition over something with a burn rate from 4350 to 7828. There are lots of good loads out there, and that bullet has always treated me well in the .243Win. I'd also be tempted to try the 90gr E-Tip, as the 100gr .257 version has been a winner.

Here's E-tip at ~$17/box if you want to simplify life:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/cata...ain-lead-free-ammo-blem-20ct/category/2/
Posted By: denton Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Simple cup and core bullets don't hang together well if they impact at more than about 2800 FPS.

I suggest 44 to 44.5 grains of the old, long cut H4831 behind a 100 grain premium bullet such as the Partition (or the Nosler Solid Base if any of those are still around). That should get you 2940 FPS out of a 24" barrel.

Why the old long cut H4831? It is less dense than the newer short cut powder, and just nicely fills the case. Many 243 loads leave a lot of extra space in the case. (Besides, I have a lot of it.)
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
The .243 I let some neighbor kids use was loaded with the 100 gr. Hornady SPFB over either 4350 or 4831. My apologies as this was when I lived in Nevada and all my load notes were lost in the move to Arizona. All I can add is some very heavy bodied Nevada Mule Deer died quite nicely. No bullets recovered.
Paul B.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
100g Hornady BTSP, 95g NBT, 85g TSX, 95/100g NPT all work well. Pick an appropriate powder and work up.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
I've not used it at over 330 yards or less than 40 yards, but he 95gr ballistic tip has worked great for me. Exits on all of them. Some of them were forming loads in an AI (Nosler's book max of H4350). A couple grains more in the AI'd brass.

If you want longer range, others fly flatter, but it's treated me well for deer at the ranges you mentioned.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
100gr Partition with whatever powder you have that gets you to 2900 or thereabouts. Got a bunch of ETips to try myself, but the NPs are a sure thing, assuming your gun likes them.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
I grabbed a book load using RL-17 and 100 gr partitions for my old pre-64 FWT 243W, velocity is 2964 fps, a very uniform and accurate load, I used it on the largest whitetail doe I've ever seen, center punched her right shoulder to exit ribs on offside, DRT'd at iirc 55 yards, a very hard hitting little round and bullet.

She had to have weighed at least 180 lbs on the hoof.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
There's really no reason not to use a Partition. They have never been my most accurate load, but they are always accurate enough. They don't complain when they hit bone, they hold together and continue to penetrate. Wound channels are devastating. It's been years since I loaded for the 243, but with 100 grain bullets 4350 is a good place to start. An 85 grain Partition pushed by a max charge of Varget is very easy for kids to manage, and they have devastating on-game performance.
Posted By: Enrique Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Thanks guys,

His junior tag is good for whitetail or mule deer. We will mostly focus on coues in the low desert stuff and see if we can find him the buck that jumped out a couple years ago when my dad and I killed our bucks. However we also seen a really nice muley that same day on the same ridge that i'd love for him to see if he's alive.
Seems like i should start with the partitions and if those don't fly to my liking, I could try those hippie TTSX or Etips.
There's 85, 95 and 100 grain flavors. his rifle has a 20" barrel. seems like most say the 100s but should I try the 85 to get a little more speed out of em?

Sorry guys. I beat topics like a dead horse. I go rounds and rounds till I finally get something im confident in. Being his first deer tag and knowing what we can see, I wanna make sure i do right by him and what he is gonna shoot at.

Kique
Posted By: burt2506 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Good luck.

Pick a few bullets, build a load ...fine tune it and let the young man practice from 40-400 yards

Ballistic tip, partition, interlock, TTsx, Etip, corelokt, all will kill when properly placed.

Confidence in ability can make all the difference.

Kudos to you for making cherished memories
Burt2506
Posted By: super T Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Damn, you guys let me off easy considering I failed to read title. My post was dumb.
Posted By: driftless Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/03/17
Nosler 95 BT have worked well for me out of the 243wssm. Pretty tough bullet...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by super T
Damn, you guys let me off easy considering I failed to read title. My post was dumb.

Merciful Thursday.

Don't let it happen again.💀
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by gunner500
RL-17 and 100 gr partitions.

Hard to beat that combo.

Wonder if RL-16 will end up edging RL-17 in some of these rounds.

New data shows it running pretty close.

RL-16 is reportedly more temp resistant and has an anti fouling agent.

Isn't '16 a tad slower than '17?

DF
I used a 100gr Sierra PH over 45gr of RL26 last year to take a nice doe. Good killer, but no exit. This year will try the Partitions over a bit more powder possibly, if the accuracy's there in the new rifle, but the ETip is my primary focus, so may not get the NPs out in the woods, which is okay because I know they'll work when I do.
How does RL-26 compare to RL-16 in the .243 with 100 gr. bullets?

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
RL-17 and 100 gr partitions.

Hard to beat that combo.

Wonder if RL-16 will end up edging RL-17 in some of these rounds.

New data shows it running pretty close.

RL-16 is reportedly more temp resistant and has an anti fouling agent.

Isn't '16 a tad slower than '17?

DF

Not sure DF, I have no experience with 16, the little 100 gr NPT near 3K in my FWT with the 2-7 Leupold will do it all as far as I'd point that rig at a deer or pig.
I've got loads to compare RL-16 with RL-17 in the Creedmoor and 7mm-08. Just gotta find time and dry weather to get to my range.

Tomorrow would be perfect, but Bushhogging roads in the woods where I deer hunt takes precedent.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
LOL, 10-4 Main, open those punch lanes, got a dozer guy coming out here to move some dirt so I can see clear to 600 on my Sharps Rifle range. wink
Posted By: JPro Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
I've got loads to compare RL-16 with RL-17 in the Creedmoor and 7mm-08. Just gotta find time and dry weather to get to my range.

Tomorrow would be perfect, but Bushhogging roads in the woods where I deer hunt takes precedent.

DF

Us too. Started a couple Saturdays ago. The bush-hogging ain't so bad, it's the pole-saw and brushcutter tune-ups along the edges that take it out of you. We also started taking the ATV sprayer down our lanes a week or two after bush-hogging and hitting them with generic round-up. Keeps the weeds from coming back and kills the stalks/stems so disking and planting is easier a couple months later.
How does RL-26 compare to RL-16 in the .243 with 100 gr. bullets?

DF

No RL16 data in the book I have, but a recent HANDLOADER article had velocities in line with other slow-burners. 26 data shows a couple bullets at over 3200.

One thing I like about the Alliant book is there seem to be more bullets of a given weight listed than some others have.
I downloaded the latest Sierra load data for the 6.5 CM.

WIth heavier bullets, they show loads for RL-16 and RL-17, pretty close performance, '16 needing a slightly larger charge vs. '17 for same velocity.

Appears that '16 is slightly slower than '17.

But, that's not as confusing as Leupold's product ID ... grin

DF
LOL, 10-4 Main, open those punch lanes, got a dozer guy coming out here to move some dirt so I can see clear to 600 on my Sharps Rifle range. wink

You gonna be one dangerous dude, that ole Sharps out on a 600 yd. range... grin

I'm set up very nice for closer shooting, would be nice to stretch it out like that.

DF
Posted By: mathman Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
I downloaded the latest Sierra load data for the 6.5 CM.

WIth heavier bullets, they show loads for RL-16 and RL-17, pretty close performance, '16 needing a slightly larger charge vs. '17 for same velocity.

Appears that '16 is slightly slower than '17.

But, that's not as confusing as Leupold's product ID ... grin

DF

IIRC, back when RL19 and RL22 were new on the market it was noted that in 300 Win mag their burn rates swapped depending on bullet weight.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/04/17
100 grain Sierra Gameking or Prohunter, whichever the rifle likes best on top of a tank full of IMR-4350 or something in ths burn range.

Will leave most deer dead right where they stood at the shot.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17

You gonna be one dangerous dude, that ole Sharps out on a 600 yd. range... grin

I'm set up very nice for closer shooting, would be nice to stretch it out like that.

DF

Got over a 1/2 mile the other way for regular rifle is you want to twist, i can see my 100, 400, 500 and 600 yard gongs, need to get a high spot cut down so I can see the two and three hundred yard gongs. grin
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
100 grain Partition and some IMR-4350 will get er done. Mine also likes Reloader 19.
Posted By: Zerk Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
I don't care about cost alot for hunting. But interlocks are 1/2 the price of partitions, usually. Similar bullets. Though I got one gun will shoot one, other shoots the other. Same powder, grain, same twist, and length.

I know people will disagree on weight, but I would pick out 2 100 grain bullets and try them out. Though you can get into the huge debate of ballistic tips too. I started with Hornady cause 1/2 the price though. Mine may never hunt deer, I have bigger rifles. But I wanted to record what works, in case I need it some day. Mine i medium barrel. Also will piss people off, in case a young person or woman wants to hunt.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
95 NBT 41 or 42 grains of 4350
Its a sure killer from 25 to 400 yards for me
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
Kique,
My sons coues load;
[Linked Image]
For future reference an elk load too.
Or deer if you like.

[Linked Image]
Sorry so large.
This off a 20" barreled rifle too
Oh and I think the c.o.l shown is what I measure my bullets too.
In my case it would be the ogive.
Posted By: valad Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
Shooter Pro Shop had those 6mm 95 NBT for under $10 per 50. Not bad for shooting practice. I got my son shooting his RAR Compact 243 with these bullets and in three shots, 2 were touching and the other went out by 1". Never dialed in the load to get smaller group since he was shooting it more than me. Anyway I have on hand about 12 bags of those bullets for my 243.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
A bunch of deer have been killed with the Sierra 85 BTHP. I load that bullet with 45 grains of W760, and my son uses it for deer and coyotes. It has been my go to load for checking the accuracy in every 243 I've had. I currently load for 4 243's, 58 to 95 grain bullets, but no other bullet will outshoot the 85 grain Sierra. I prefer 90 or 95 BT's, but wouldn't feel handicapped in the least with the 85 grain.
Posted By: Zerk Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by JamesJr
It has been my go to load for checking the accuracy in every 243 I've had.in.

Seems a pretty bad way to do it. Some guns like different things.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by Zerk

Just like you liberals???? Right?
Posted By: Zerk Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17

That was an emotional repsonse, when being told what you are doing is wrong. I would guess you are the liberal. You may vote R. But have a problem with emotions.

You should have thanked me for pointing up your screw up. You have the opprtunity to learn about guns, if your emotions don't get in the way.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17

That was an emotional repsonse, when being told what you are doing is wrong. I would guess you are the liberal. You may vote R. But have a problem with emotions.

You should have thanked me for pointing up your screw up. You have the opprtunity to learn about guns, if your emotions don't get in the way.

Before you go on ignore, like the other pricks on here, please tell us how old you are. I'm guessing 15.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Just what we need, another Troll Expert on everything...

They've been kinda like weeds lately, look and there they are...

Probably R Ginther or one of those election season trolls who is just bored
and can't think of nothing better to do this summer with his time...

which means it too hot for him outside..
Go on a shooting forum, or just google articles on worrking up loads. They don't just use the same one for every gun. Even people who don't reload should know enough to try a few brands.

Its not rocket science.

Ya it might be to hot. I hate when it gets much over 70. Friday was 50s, and nice.
Posted By: southtexas Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Been on the forum less than 3 weeks, and already giving condescending "advice" and acting superior.
This is common advice. I am not givng my personnel opinion or anything I have come up with on my own. To most people this is just common sense.

Anyone who has shot a little bit, will know guns are unique. Sure you can shoot factory ammo just fine. But that is not a test of the accuracy of the rifle.
Go on shooting forum,and tell them your way of testing rifle accuracy.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
This year a max charge of R26 and 95 grain BT and Partitions plus 100 grain Hornaday BTSP. should be over 3200 fps but haven't clocked them yet.
Hey look here. Personally I go 3-5. But I get the point, you can elimate loads quick. Otherwise you can spend an hour on load, that is not very good.

Originally Posted by RiverRider
When I'm starting out I usually load six to eight charges with the powder I've chosen. I load two of each charge and fire them over a chronograph. I'll have done a bit of research to determine what the maximum safe velocity might be as an indirect way of limiting pressure. I also shoot these as precisely as possible, my thinking being that while a two-shot group won't prove a load to be accurate, it can sure show one to NOT be accurate. I usually can narrow down the charge pretty quickly this way, then go to work playing with seating depth. I usually start one tenth of a caliber off the lands if possible, and it often works, but I've learned to be more willing to try 40 to 100 thousandths off the lands if there's reason to believe I should. I wouldn't say my method is the fastest or cheapest, but it's fairly thorough. I place a certain amount of value on any data I can generate.

Trim length is one of the things I give less attention. I usually stick to a primer once I start with it, but I'll try another one if things don't seem to be working out.
Posted By: mathman Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
I can tell you from nearly forty years experience doing handloading and load development that there are what I'll call reference loads for the purpose of this conversation. These common loads have been found to work quite well by enough people in enough rifles over enough of a time span to merit the title. For the obtuse out there: I am not saying that one particular load will be the very finest in every example of a rifle for that cartridge. Slight variations in charge weight***, overall length and the like do make a difference in getting that last bit of precision. Here's an example of what I am saying: If you have a 30-06 and properly assembled cartridges with a 150 grain bullet on top of 52 grains of IMR4064 don't shoot pretty darn well in it then a lot of "handloading community" experience has shown the problem is much more likely to be with the rifle, scope or shooter than it is the load.

Similar for 55 grains of IMR4350 under a 130 for a 270 Winchester.

Similar for 41.5 grains of 4895 under a 168 in LC brass for a 308 Winchester.

*** I don't mean so slight as to require weighing every charge once a load is established.

I agree there are good references points to start. Personally I start with IMR4350 in 30-06. Unless it is a real bad gun, you really are not testing it. I got two 22" 1:10 twist 30-06s, one likes partition and one interlocks. Same loads. My 700, just doesn't shoot partion worth a crap, and even then it seems to like some speed. Maybe if I would have pushed the partions past published data. But hornady are 1/2 the price and work, and not considered a bad bullet.

I suppose someone could just right the 700 off, if they were choosing between rifles. Most of us are working up loads for guns we already own, or for someone we know.
[q

Before you go on ignore, like the other pricks on here, please tell us how old you are. I'm guessing 15.

We agree on one thing, lots of pricks on here. I think ignore lists are for pussies though.

I am just passing along standard practices.But it upsets you.
For years I shot corlokts. Someone suggested years ago to try them. Killed more deer than CWD. So I get the idea that a common round can be good enough. Just not what I would consider for testing a rifle.

Who knows, maybe some days I have worked up bunches of rifles, I will say that this bullet is a metric. But judging how people work up loads for rifles, I am just not sure about that.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Seems pretty logical actually. A load that is a proven shooter in several guns is a great place to start. If it doesnt shoot well at all, other things could be the problem, before tweaking loads or trying various bullets
Posted By: Seafire Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by southtexas
Been on the forum less than 3 weeks, and already giving condescending "advice" and acting superior.

Maybe he got inspired by Big Schtick and is attempting to be the next one...

certainly doesn't have Schtick "Back Woods Alaskan Trailer Park" Style...

but 350 plus posts in a few weeks???????....

he'll be a flash in the pan and then gone...

its not like his type hasn't shown up before...

bet he's a regular who came up with a new troll identity...

nothing more, nothing less
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
The 85 grain sierra has always shot great out of ANY 6 mm cartridge I have ever shot.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by Tom264
The 85 grain sierra has always shot great out of ANY 6 mm cartridge I have ever shot.

Agree. Those of us with any experience at all know that. I've tried it in a bunch of 243's and have yet to find one that didn't like it. Unfortunately, there are always the internet experts, that once got a BB gun for Christmas, and are suddenly "experts", who don't understand such matters.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by southtexas

Maybe he got inspired by Big Schtick and is attempting to be the next one...

certainly doesn't have Schtick "Back Woods Alaskan Trailer Park" Style...

but 350 plus posts in a few weeks???????....

he'll be a flash in the pan and then gone...

its not like his type hasn't shown up before...

bet he's a regular who came up with a new troll identity...

nothing more, nothing less

Anyone who disagrees with you, in this case standard practices to boot, must be someone who has been here before. Because there can't be that many people who disagree with a guy as smart as you?

One member knows me from another forum. I don't change names as I go.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by Tom264

Agree. Those of us with any experience at all know that. I've tried it in a bunch of 243's and have yet to find one that didn't like it. Unfortunately, there are always the internet experts, that once got a BB gun for Christmas, and are suddenly "experts", who don't understand such matters.

As a matter of fact my sons rifle liked that bullet so much I almost just stuck with the load we had done up on it.
I don't think I'd be lying if I said his 100 yd groups was pushing the .250" mark.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by JPro

Here's E-tip at ~$17/box if you want to simplify life:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/cata...ain-lead-free-ammo-blem-20ct/category/2/

Thanks I ordered 2 boxes for my wife!!! She normally shoots 90 grain bt. those should the cat ass.
Posted By: Enrique Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/11/17
Thanks Everyone!
And Thanks Tom! My sons Mossberg Patriot is a 20 incher. How does that IMR3031 hold up to temps? Figure Oct the temps might hit 50 if im lucky in the mornings and 90 by mid day.

Kique.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/11/17
Yes, found it somewhat temperature sensitive.
I did all my load work at 70 degrees preparing for his Arizona deer loads. (Did the middle of the road)
Was thinking along the same lines as you as to what the temps might be.
I will say this though, he had no issues whacking his buck at 400 yds and the temp was about 50ish degrees when it happened.
Was using a CDS turret and stayed on track.
Posted By: bludog Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/12/17
Great thread (mostly).

This summer, I had a factory 308 barrel replaced with a Shilen #2, 8 twist in 243 win on a Rem 700. This is my first 243, so I find this thread both timely and informative.

I've been loading 100 gr Partitions with IMR 4955 and RL-26. Had a pretty good 9 shot group with RL-26 with one flier (coulda been me) best 8 were 1.46", 7 of those 8 were 1.13", remaining 6 were <3/4", used the 10th round to bang the 250 yd gong. I swapped from using Privi brass to Hornady due to some early weird (high) velocity readings. Consistent velocity readings with Hornady - the brass is 12-15 gr lighter than Privi.

Fun round, really like it, hoping to dial that RL-26 load in and score on some mid-MO whitetails.

bludog
Posted By: Enrique Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/13/17
Any chance of anyone having quickload that can run some numbers for me?
I have a can of AA2520 i'd like to use up if I can. It would be for the 243 shooting 80gr ttsx bullets, using win primers and winchester cases. Just curious if I can run that powder with these bullets based on what quickload says. best I have found was a website called stevespages.com that stated with AA2520 with an 80gr tip, i'd be in the 30 to 37.9 grain range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW Tom, are you using magnum rifle primers with your loads as stated in the loads you listed? If so could you tell me why? Would that be something i'd want to try with the powder i'm asking quickload info on?

Thank,
Kique
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/13/17
Hi, the only reason I was using magnum primers is that's all I had at the time and didn't have any standards.
Also using them for your AA2520 load? I honestly don't know.
Thanks. Pretty good reason lol
I hope someone can do quickload for that aa2520 powder. I bought it in a rush one time to load 125s in my 308. Used it for a 50 rounds and the rest of the lb hasn't been touched. Am hoping it will work in the 243 if not then I'll have it sitting until i have a need for the 308 to come out again.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/13/17
Looks decent. Maybe not the ideal powder, but the velocities look pretty good anyhow for a substitute powder.

Cartridge : .243 Win.
Bullet : .243, 80, Barnes 'TTSX' BT 24338
Useable Case Capaci: 49.232 grain H2O = 3.197 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.710 inch = 68.83 mm
Barrel Length : 23.0 inch = 584.2 mm
Powder : Accurate 2520

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 2.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms

-20.0 64 30.40 2514 1123 28087 8004 95.6 1.446
-18.0 65 31.16 2570 1173 29752 8206 96.5 1.416
-16.0 67 31.92 2625 1224 31510 8397 97.3 1.387
-14.0 68 32.68 2680 1276 33365 8577 97.9 1.359
-12.0 70 33.44 2735 1329 35322 8745 98.5 1.331
-10.0 71 34.20 2789 1382 37385 8900 99.0 1.304
-08.0 73 34.96 2843 1436 39559 9041 99.4 1.285
-06.0 75 35.72 2896 1490 41849 9167 99.7 1.256
-04.0 76 36.48 2948 1544 44262 9279 99.9 1.227
-02.0 78 37.24 3000 1598 46803 9376 100.0 1.196
+00.0 79 38.00 3051 1653 49480 9459 100.0 1.165
+02.0 81 38.76 3101 1708 52299 9539 100.0 1.136 ! Near Maximum !
+04.0 83 39.52 3150 1763 55269 9618 100.0 1.107 ! Near Maximum !
+06.0 84 40.28 3199 1818 58398 9694 100.0 1.080 ! Near Maximum !
+08.0 86 41.04 3247 1873 61696 9768 100.0 1.053 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+10.0 87 41.80 3295 1928 65172 9841 100.0 1.028 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba 79 38.00 3160 1774 58284 9130 100.0 1.081 ! Near Maximum !
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba 79 38.00 2887 1481 40709 9621 97.8 1.268

That powder is #98 on a burn rate chart with RL15 being #99 and Varget being #101. So, it is right in the range of where you need to be with that bullet.
Greatly appreciate the assistance Ken. Doesn't look like the greatest powder for it, but might be worth a look and see how it does. If it doesnt work out, I can always give the 3031 a try that Tom has had success with. Thanks a ton again! gives me something to play with.

Kique
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/13/17
Originally Posted by Enrique
Greatly appreciate the assistance Ken. Doesn't look like the greatest powder for it, but might be worth a look and see how it does. If it doesnt work out, I can always give the 3031 a try that Tom has had success with. Thanks a ton again! gives me something to play with.

Kique

The first cartridge I reloaded for was the 243. I bought a $9.95 Lee Handloader, a box of a 100 primers, a box of Sierra 85 HPBT's and a can of IMR 3031 powder, and started reloading. Those little outfits had a dipper to measure the powder with, and I have no idea what the weight was, only that it was a very mild load......but an extremely accurate one in my Remington 788. I've never used it since, never even been tempted to, but I'm sure if it worked 40 years ago, it would now.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/14/17
Honestly the only thing I hate about the 3031 is how it meters, feels like I'm dropping bricks in my weigh pan.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/21/17
Think I found my load, or at least a usable one: 103gr ELD-X over 46.7gr of RL26 in Hornady brass w/F210 primers. My Number 1 allows me to seat them way out (2.85 OAL) and still clear the lands. Some room to play here, but accuracy is plenty good enough.

I used the data for 105 A-Maxs from the Alliant manual, with slightly roomier Hornady brass and the longer OAL of course. 46.7 is the top load listed. Primers look the same as at the starting point (not a reliable pressure sign, I know), and cases popped right out with no effort. Didn't clock them, but if they make 3100, which is quite possible from the 26" barrel, they'd be less than 6" low at 300, sighted for 200. Next trip to the range will tell the tale.

At 650 yards, they should still be cranking over 2000fps.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/26/17
I downloaded the latest Hornady manual today and the 103gr ELD-X ain't in it, nor is RL26. Emailed them about it and was told to use data for the 105 AMax, which I was, just not theirs.
Posted By: Enrique Re: 243 Load For Deer - 08/26/17
Thanks for the info. I just started playing with rl26 in my 300win mag. Might be worth looking into for my sons 243. Im gonna run those ttsx i got first and then as time permits i'll look into those 103s. I appreciate you keeping me in the loop.
© 24hourcampfire