Home
Posted By: Fenton New Brass...do you re-size it? - 11/13/17
Brand new rifle brass...do you guys re-size it before you load it or just load it as it comes from the factory bag?
I resize it first.
I run new brass through the same steps as fired, except for the stainless media tumbling.
Originally Posted by Fenton
Brand new rifle brass...do you guys re-size it before you load it or just load it as it comes from the factory bag?

What I do to it depends on the state it's in.
Nope, i don’t
I do.. Especially the damn WW brass I have. Everything about it has been off. At the least it has to be run thru the die to get the neck right.
Neck size and chamfer.
I always resize.. but I mainly purchase once fired brass when I need it...

from Brassman...https://brassmanbrass.com/

great prices... but it also helps that he lives only 2 miles from my place...
New beass gets fireformed.
I will usually run new brass just far enough in the die to put the expanding ball thru the neck, then always chamfer the inside and outside of the neck. I once had some new Nosler 7-08 brass that had to be completely resized before it could be used. Regardless of brand, I always inspect new brass, and will even try it in the gun before I do anything with it.
Originally Posted by nathanial
Neck size and chamfer.

This.
Neck size and chamfer.

Same here
Only if the necks are ding’d up..
Last batch of new brass I bought for a commonly available cartridge had so many necks bent I just sized them all and chamfered. As I try not to buy rifles in cartridges that can be bought, cases are usually formed or turned to some extent so they see a lot of work before they're ever loaded.
I usually buy Rem or WW bulk brass and it is beat up a fair amount especially with bent necks. Running them through a Lee collet die straightens everything out then trimming and chamfering. After first fire they need to be checked for length again. However, if I get lazy (usually) I've been known to forego any prep and just load them and do all the trim and chamfer after first firing. Depends on what they look like out of the bag....
Depends on the condition which normally translates into the brand. Remy and Winchester, usually always. Lapua very seldom. First I always take a small sample and make sure the bolt or action closes on it first. It if does that and the necks are reasonably round and sized to hold the bullet well I see no reason.
Heck no...uniform the neck and go.
Originally Posted by kraky111

If you had a "close" chamber you'd have had fun chambering some new Starline 308s I loaded recently.
Well then I would break out my redding body die! I had the same thing happen with some privi brass in my 308.
I had trued up the necks and loaded. When I got to the range I found some of them tight chambering in the rifle. If I had one of my other 308's out that day I'd have been in trouble. It's very close to minimum headspace.
Neck size, trim, chamfer, load and shoot.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Neck size and chamfer.

This.

I do this^^. Preferable with a Lee Collet die if I have one for that round. I also deburr the flash hole if it's any brand other than Lapua or Norma.
Originally Posted by mathman

What I do to it depends on the state it's in.

I'm pretty sure he's from Texas.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I will usually run new brass just far enough in the die to put the expanding ball thru the neck, then always chamfer the inside and outside of the neck.

That's what I do, if need be. I saw it described in The Big Book of Gun Gack. The theory is that the case oughta be at SAAMI specs from the get-go, and one only need touch-up any dented or out-of-round necks. FL resizing is an unneeded extra step, that would just work-harden the brass.

Then again, I anneal most of my brand new brass, before uniforming the necks, so I could just be talking outa my [rectum] on wasted steps. laugh Again, the Gack book mentioned that brass is occasionally annealed incorrectly at the factory, and annealing it before it's 1st use might offer more benefit than the slight risk of softening the brass.

Now, I have just recently ponied-up for some Nosler brass in a couple of chamberings, and the necks looked good enough to run as-is. However, I did chamfer the inside of the necks, even though the box claimed they'd already been done. I didn't anneal them, either, so I guess we'll see if the universe implodes when I take them to the range today for their first go-'round.

FC

If you had a "close" chamber you'd have had fun chambering some new Starline 308s I loaded recently.

I ran into this once, only with loaded factory rounds. I have an old custom mauser stamped, ".257 REM" that's a Roberts. It wouldn't chamber 117 grain Remington factory loads. I was fairly panicked. New Remington brass worked fine, however, and even shoots well.

Thankfully, I've not run into it again. I guess they're all a sample of, "1".

FC

How's that Starline brass? I'll likely never need more .308, but might ant to try their .243 stuff.

I see they've got 6.8 now. Can 6.5 Grendel be far behind?
I wrote about my batch in the big game handloading section.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12378673

Fugk & no.

Dave
Got it.
for hunting ammo ,maybe resize necks ? otherwise heck no. target ammo is a whole different story to talk about. that`s when the only brass you are talk`n about is lapua brass for target ammo .
Usually I'll run them through a FL die to round out the necks for even chamferring. The thing is; with very rare exceptions I'm not sizing anything but the neck. I don't even lube the cases because they aren't touching anything.
© 24hourcampfire