Home
Where I hunt my longest open shot would be 75yrds.

I can't decide on the Sierra 130gr. HPBT. GameKing or 140 SBT. GameKing? or should I
be looking at something else?

Thanks,
jr1968.
I’m hoping to shoot a deer with a 140 Partition.
Sierra will probably tell you to use the HPBT. I bet either would work fine though.
I can tell you from experience with 260 loads and deer the 129 grain Interlock and 125 grain Partition are sure fire killers. There's no reason they would be different in a Creed.

I'll 2nd the 129 Hornady Interlock from my 260, it's a slammer on whitetails.
Another fan of the 129 grain Hornady.
100gr Barnes TTSX
120 TTSX
I used the hornady129 on a couple, good performance, I also used the 120BT on one and the 130AB on two and they both worked well too. I figure any well constructed bullet well placed is going to do a good job.
Another vote for the 129 Hornady. Great bullet in the Creed and .260. I have killed several deer with both rifles. Good results from close out to 430 yards.
I'd be looking at the sights and the overall length and handling of the rifle rather than the bullet for up close shots on deer in cover.
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd be looking at the sights and the overall length and handling of the rifle rather than the bullet for up close shots on deer in cover.

The OP was asking a simple question as to which bullet to use. Your answer has nothing to do with the question

Trystan
Originally Posted by Trystan

The OP was asking a simple question as to which bullet to use. Your answer has nothing to do with the question

Trystan

Yes, I understand that. Are you the moderator now?
Originally Posted by jr1968

I can't decide on the Sierra 130gr. HPBT. GameKing or 140 SBT. GameKing? or should I

Thanks,
jr1968.

130 HPBT or 129 hornady SP whichever shoots best

Trystan
140gr SST, just to add to the confusion.
Trystan,

GFY
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
140gr SST, just to add to the confusion.

The truth is, just about any decent bullet will work for whitetails at Creedmoor velocities. From the OP's question it's a safe bet that he hasn't shot a lot of deer. So maybe there are other questions he hasn't considered. Seems to me the biggest things to worry about with "up close in thick brush" are having a rifle that's handy and comes up quick, fits right, is not too long, and has sights that are quick on target. I could be wrong about the OP, maybe he's already considered all that and if so it's no big deal. But sometimes the best answer is to the question not asked.

You see it all the time with guys coming out west to hunt elk for the first time. Most guys spend a lot of time asking about which chambering is best but don't pay enough attention to things like comfortable boots and a comfortable pack.

No harm in letting them know that there are other things to consider. Self-appointed moderators notwithstanding

Thanks,
jr1968.

I would be looking at one to the 120 gr monolithic bullets like the E Tip or TTSX. In my 260 I really like the 130 gr Accubond, the 140 gr Accubond or Partition would be a good choice too.
I wouldn't shoot any bullet made by Sierra at game animals, just at paper, steel, and/or varmints.

The 130 grain AB would be my bullet of choice.
Whitetail at 75 yards ain't hard to kill. If buying factory ammo the 129 gr Hornady Whitetail is dirt cheap, shoots great in my rifle and is probably as good as anything. If you're hand loading, what ever shoots best for you.
If you're not going to shoot this rifle a lot, all of the factory ammo in 6.5 Creedmoor that I've shot has been very accurate, so you could pick a bullet weight and style of construction that you are confident in and go afield with peace of mind.

The Hornady American Whitetail 129 grain and Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deerseason XP have brought rapid death to the whitetails that I've shot with them.
The 125 and 140 grain Nosler Partitions work very well.
Here is a Creedmoor timber kill.

[Linked Image]
NIce old warrior with battle scars, broken tines. A great trophy.

Congrats.

DF
Originally Posted by hanco
[Linked Image]

Does it look like the Creed ammo in the bubba-buddy is belted?
Well, yes, actually it does, since you mention it.

MM
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

"bubba-buddy"?

Never heard them called that before.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I wouldn't shoot any bullet made by Sierra at game animals, just at paper, steel, and/or varmints.

I believe I know where this is coming from, the 85 and 90 grain BTHP in 6mm and 25 cal respectively. Still, at Creedmoor speed, you wouldn't use a 140 grain Sierra?
I use the 130 AccuBond out of my 6.5x47L with good success in PA woods and SD prairie.
The Nosler 120BT or 125 Partition are wonderful deer killers.
Originally Posted by mathman

I believe I know where this is coming from, the 85 and 90 grain BTHP in 6mm and 25 cal respectively. Still, at Creedmoor speed, you wouldn't use a 140 grain Sierra?

You're right, my distrust of Sierra bullets is based on the 85 grain .243" and 90 grain .257" BTHP failures that I had.

I wouldn't shoot a Sierra bullet at any game animal if there was a viable alternative available.
I'd use a Nosler Partition, maybe the 125gr. Here's why, the Partitions excel at close range high impact velocity and bad angles hits, both of which you could encounter. Besides, I don't like surprises. I like to know what to expect from my bullets.
6.5 creed
140g sierra btsp
R#26
Fed 215
Hornady brass
you will be very, very happy!
75 yard shot...I'd be shootin the 156gr Norma Oryx bullet as fast as I could...about 2600. Good to 300 but deadly at those distances. powdr
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well, yes, actually it does, since you mention it.

MM

The belted Creedmoor rounds are designated for "timber" hunting.
[Linked Image]

"bubba-buddy"?

Never heard them called that before.

I can tell you've never hung around with ingwe.....

So is hanco gonna get back on here and tell us about the custom belted creed ammo? And explain why a guy with chest pockets on his shirt, would stoop so low as to pimp bubba-buddies?

The Deep Timber Creedmoor was built expressly for the Bubba Buddy with the belt headspacing on the elastic...little else is known 'cept that the parent looks like it migbt be a 6.5 Remington Magnum.

.264 Creedmag?

I'm hearing reports that Uncle Mike is going to unvail a "New Intermediate Length" line of Bubba Buddies to accomodate the new 6.5 PRC.
I suspect that we're seeing the prototype here as being run by hanco.
hanco is going all cutting-edge on us without first posting threads on his techno-advances. First, the belted creed, and now the Intermediate Bubba-Buddy. What an innovator.....

I tend to agree with this. They are very accurate, but I saw several .30 cal bullets perform badly on game years ago and I have not shot them since. Hornady Interlocks are cheaper and have always shot well in any caliber, for me and don't cost as much as the Sierra. I have never been disappointed with their performance on game.

If you don't mind spending the extra money, any ammo with Partitions, or Abs in it, is good stuff. The White tail ammo from Hornady is as good as it gets for the price. Just stay away from the dynamite stuff with ssts and amax in it. Those are OK at long range, but will not hold together well at close range for the most part.
hanco is going all cutting-edge on us without first posting threads on his techno-advances. First, the belted creed, and now the Intermediate Bubba-Buddy. What an innovator.....

Well dispite the secrecy, it sure is good to see some industry back in the US of America.

It will be exciting to see who builds the first rifles in the new Deep Timber Belted CreedMag Turbo, hoping they come with an integral Bubba Buddy molded into the stock...preferably in Edge fill.
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Why don't you discuss how Tikka machines their stocks again for us...
They don't look belted to me, just the 'shadow' of the extractor cut.
I got a new 6.5CM this fall and worked up 140gr loads using Hornady 140gr SST. 80 yard shot through the ribs and he ran 25 yards.
A that range, does it really matter?
Another vote for the 130 Accubond. They have done a great job for us in the situations you describe.
The 130NAB is never a bad choice. Has worked for me on deer and hogs. I also like Steelhead's mention of the 100TTSX. It's bad news at reasonable ranges in my 260.

Other than you can, why would you want to?

A 45-70 is sooooooooo much more effective; no tracking, no wasted blood shot meat, no fuss, no muss. wink

MM
© 24hourcampfire