Home
The new Speer data for a 250 gr bullet in the .35 Whelen shows up to 2700 fps! The highest velocity powders they show are 2000MR, CFE223, Power Pro Varmint.

I have not seen/heard of these 3 powders being used in the Whelen.

Anyone besides Speer actually try these? How'd they work?
Their new data looks very good, I'm going to be looking at some of those new powders for my gun when I develop 225 gr and 250 gr loads. The data with the 180 and 220 gr FN bullets looks equally as good. Now we just need them to develop a new 225 gr Gold Dot BTSP for the 358 Win and 35 Whelen.
Can anyone post a link to the new .35 Whelen data? Thanks.
For those that haven't seen it you can find all of Speer's data including the 35 Whelen here.

https://www.speer-ammo.com/en/reloading/rifle#caliber
I wish Speer would include test barrel lengths in their data.
I saw that and am going to try some of the new powders.
While neither is new I am getting good results with the 180gr. FP in my .35 Whelen using the IMR 40464 starting load which pretty well fills the case.
Posted By: EdM Re: New .35 Whelen data from Speer - 01/21/18
Many of their loads appear to be hauling azz.
I'm too damn computer iliterate to open a pdf? file, cant even read the new load data. crazy
https://www.speer-ammo.com/download...35_caliber_357-358_dia/35_Whelen_250.pdf
Boy that 250 at 2700 would be a hammer!! Gonna have to play around when the weather gets better.
Originally Posted by Judman
Boy that 250 at 2700 would be a hammer!! Gonna have to play around when the weather gets better.

That's full throttle 338 Win. mag ballistics out of an '06 size case. Interesting.
Originally Posted by mathman

That's full throttle 338 Win. mag ballistics out of an '06 size case. Interesting.

It sounds like a fair bit more than my shoulder would be up for. As it is, 250's @ 2,500 fps usually make for abbreviated range sessions.

I did notice, though, that lots of their loads across several cartridges incorporate 4000 MR powder. I have a pound that's been sitting unopened on the shelf for a good year plus. I might have to play with it some.

FC
I used to hunt elk with a .338 Magnum and 275 gr. Speer RN bullets, since I no longer hunt elk I sold the .338 and now use a .35 Whelen as my whitetail rifle. After much load development and range testing I found the 225gr. Sierra or Nosler over IMR 4064 to be the load my rifle prefers. Agreed that a 250 gr. bullet at 2500-2700 would really anchor an elk or moose and would be noticeable as far as recoil.

Truth. I’ll see what I can get outta a 22” Hart
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I used to hunt elk with a .338 Magnum and 275 gr. Speer RN bullets, since I no longer hunt elk I sold the .338 and now use a .35 Whelen as my whitetail rifle. After much load development and range testing I found the 225gr. Sierra or Nosler over IMR 4064 to be the load my rifle prefers. Agreed that a 250 gr. bullet at 2500-2700 would really anchor an elk or moose and would be noticeable as far as recoil.

I feel ya bro.... I built my whelen to fill the larder, with bigger critters, it ain’t gonna be at the range much, but it’ll hammer shiit when need be
Posted By: Ray Re: New .35 Whelen data from Speer - 01/22/18
What I don't understand is how come the 250-grainer is so fast, while the 220-grainer is so slow.

According to the data, the .35 Whelen with a 250-grain bullet is faster than a .338WM with a 250-grain bullet. And a 225-grain .338WM faster then the .35 Whelen with a 220-grainer.

Anyone get this open yet, I try and some windows explorer program opens.
Originally Posted by gunner500

No problems here, that's strange it's not working for you.
Originally Posted by Ray
What I don't understand is how come the 250-grainer is so fast, while the 220-grainer is so slow.

According to the data, the .35 Whelen with a 250-grain bullet is faster than a .338WM with a 250-grain bullet. And a 225-grain .338WM faster then the .35 Whelen with a 220-grainer.

Don’t know where you came up with this but the 338 is faster with both the 250 & 255.
Originally Posted by gerry35

No problems here, that's strange it's not working for you.

Gotta be my I.T. skills Gerry, there's a very good reason my Wife saves the campfire over in a favorites box for me. shocked ;]
Now I know why it wont open, this home computer is tied into a hugh network of computers at Wifeys work. crazy all kinds of programs open up I'm not familiar with.

I'll just buy a Speer manual and read em for myself ;]
tag
Originally Posted by Whelenman
tag

Another [bleep] "tagger"..
Ya ever hear of using the "thread options" upper left side of this page?
I have some CFE223 but my old manual loads with 3031 offer all the speed and recoil I need with 250 grain bullets in my Whelen.
Post your findings, as I will too. More interested in 225 ish
With 225 gr. bullets in the Whelen IMR 4064 is your huckleberry, no need to look any further. In separate load development efforts 25 yrs. apart I got the same result, 4064 was the accuracy champ above the other powders I tested. Those powders included IMR 4350, RL-15 and Varget. With 4064 and 225 gr. Sierra of Nosler bullets I get three shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds., better than "minute of deer" and plenty good enough for me.
So far my Whelen has shot everything very well, in fact I did not expect under MOA accuracy with such regularity using powders From H322 to IMR 4350.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
With 225 gr. bullets in the Whelen IMR 4064 is your huckleberry, no need to look any further. In separate load development efforts 25 yrs. apart I got the same result, 4064 was the accuracy champ above the other powders I tested. Those powders included IMR 4350, RL-15 and Varget. With 4064 and 225 gr. Sierra of Nosler bullets I get three shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds., better than "minute of deer" and plenty good enough for me.

What speeds you getting with 225’s and 4064? Thanks
Originally Posted by rickt300
So far my Whelen has shot everything very well, in fact I did not expect under MOA accuracy with such regularity using powders From H322 to IMR 4350.

They seem to often shoot quite well in my experience too. Have had great loads in the past with AA 2015, H 322, Varget, RL 15, Big Game (250's and 275's) and most recently IMR 8208.
I don't have a chronograph so I can't tell you, I am loading 54.5 gr. which is Sierra manual's accuracy load Nosler manual says 54.0 gr. gives 2450 FPS and is listed as MAX. Both bullets shoot fine and neither shows any pressure signs.
Anybody using BL-C(2)? Guy I bought my barreled action from had some damn accurate loads using it with 225's. I use Varget right now, and getting beautiful groups with it. Mine is an AI, only because it came that way and with Redding dies. Need to check speeds this weekend, but unless it's ALOT slower than I think, I'm calling it good.
I tried BL-C(2) years ago but didn't have much luck with it. Found it erratic in both speed and on the targets.
Posted By: EdM Re: New .35 Whelen data from Speer - 02/06/18
I have been a Whelen fan for many years taking elk, moose, grizzly, black bear, nilgai and a few mule deer with it. Early on I used the 250 gr Speer then moved to the 225 gr TSX. The latter going 2700 fps in my old Ruger tang rifle via 60 grs of RL15.
Resurrect this ?? I just tried cfe223 65 gr. with Hornady 200 spire point. got 26xx on them, but it was a group just over 1/2 at 50 yards (see the thread on "doing my part"). I am trying to duplicate whatever Federal Fusion does, their 200s clocked at 2950 or so on my chronograph (maybe 8 feet out). Primers show some room for increase, but I don't have good data and don't want to exceed one of those curves that suddenly take a climb.

This is through a 22" handi, I am having a hard time getting it to shoot different wieghts any where close to the same POA. I am also tired of buying powder and bullets. Maybe I should either just stick with factory or find one I like and use it. This thing isn't that much fun to shoot from a bench for very many shots.
Trialed the Power Pro 2000 MR under 250 gr Partitions and got some of my best accuracy ever at 200 yards. I am now into my second pound of the stuff as it is proving to be consistent. Guess this is now my new "go to" load for my CDL Whelen.
When I first got into Whelen, my whitetail load, for many years, was the 200 gr Hornady spitzer under 55.5 gr of 3031. It never disappointed and successfully took a pile of Pennsylavania whitetails. For no logical reason, a decade or so ago, I standardized on 250 gr Partitions.
One of the great things about the Whelen is that it does not require lightning velocity to be extremely effective on game. Go for accuracy first.
Never trialed the Fusions as I typically use factory stuff only as a benchmark. 2950 fps seems extreme and suggests a problem.
The Remington factory stuff, with any weight bullet, was always relatively slow, but very accurate.
"The Remington factory stuff, with any weight bullet, was always relatively slow, but very accurate."

Yeah, Remington screwed the pooch on the .35 Whelen, loading them up to make their pump and semi-auto guns happy. mad Seems they did that same bad deed on the .280 Remington as well. frown Somebody in their top offices has their head up their rectal orifice. What were they thinking?

Anyway the first serious load I worked up for my .35 Whelen turned out to be 60.4 gr. of Rl 15 and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. Recoil is reasonable and accuracy runs from .50" to .80" depending on how well I'm shooting on any particular day. The load was worked up in my custom Mauser with 24" barrel. Pressure signs seem mild in that rifle. However, the load is too hot for my Remington M700 Classic. I haven't shot it in the Ruger 77 as it shows signs of possible headspace problems with the underloaded factory ammo. I haven't decided what to do with that rifle.
Paul B.
Often lightly loaded ammo makes a gun seem like it has headspace problems when it doesn't. The case just doesn't come back and seat the primer again.
Often lightly loaded ammo makes a gun seem like it has headspace problems when it doesn't. The case just doesn't come back and seat the primer again.

One shot had a complete head separation. I just use that rifle for cast bullets long enough to run into the rifling. It seems to be happy being used that way.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by PJGunner

One shot had a complete head separation. I just use that rifle for cast bullets long enough to run into the rifling. It seems to be happy being used that way.
Paul B.

I'd think that with headspace issues that bad, you'd have misfires every now and then. That, or your firing pin protrudes too far as well. I'd get a cast of the chamber or get it to a gunsmith, were I you. Case head separation on first firing of brass signals bad brass more than a bad chamber.
Tag
Tag
Originally Posted by Nrut
tag

I you ever heads of minding you own business? Tag that you sorry human!
Being !
What is the big deal???
I’m currently working with two Whelens, both Remington 700’s. My default powder after working with another 700 Classic has been H-4895. One of my current rifles is a 700 from the Custom shop that I bought used a couple of years ago. It may not be necessary but to ensure a good shoulder/head space, I take new cases and expand them to .363, then .375. I then anneal them with Mule Deer’s technique. I then size them in a 35 Whelen die to the point where the cases will chamber with somewhat stiff resistance.

My 700 Custom has a 24” barrel and with H-4895, the Speer gives 2540 fps but is more accurate at 2500 fps. The Nosler 250 Partition is maybe 25 fps faster. Both of these bullets have given several four shot groups of 3/4” or less. The best load all around load I think, is with the 225 A/bond and H4895 at 2720 fps although I tested loads ip to 2750 fps. More than once 4 shot groups have been just over half an inch. Hard to beat with that much power and trajectory. These are all loads on the Nosler manual.
Tag
Originally Posted by Nrut
tag

I you ever heads of minding you own business? Tag that you sorry human!
Being !

You must be agitated as you can even put together a coherent sentence, ya lil' Twat.. laugh
No!!! But I had a stroke 10 years ago!!! So tag that you SOB! I never even knew the "thread options" exsisted!!
And I still cant do a fuggin PDF? file, wish someone would post the damn load data. shocked
Sorry to hear that about your stroke..
Had three TIA's myself winter before last, changed my diet, haven't had one since..
And I still cant do a fuggin PDF? file, wish someone would post the damn load data. shocked

Here is a direct link to the pdf file..
Maybe it'll work..

https://www.speer-ammo.com/download...35_caliber_357-358_dia/35_Whelen_250.pdf

There are 18 powders listed for the 250gr.Hotcore with Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR giving the highest velocity @ 2709 fps..
Max. load = 66.2 Compressed.
Barrel length wasn't listed..
I feel your pain. Hope this helps![Linked Image]
Hey, Thanks Nrut and damnyankee308, I appreciate it greatly, I could go to the pdf's, but didn't know how to load, save or play them. smile

Now I need to get busy shooting up those 2600 fps 250gr Whelen loads and see what the old girl will really do, that power pro 2000 load is treading on the heels of a 338 WM.
g500,
I shot a bunch of that combination earlier in the year, ending up at 66 gr under the bigger Partition. Not only is it quick, but accuracy is superb out of my 700CDL. It is a very clean burning load.
That big squishy recoil pad Remington put on the rifle is getting a pretty good workout.
NICE! my 35 Whelen was a rusted bore pre-64 model 70, sent it off to JES for a 35 W rebore and rechamber, had him throat it so I could use ALL the mag box length with any bullet, including round noses, bought a McWoody from Jorge here at the 'fire, took them all up to my Gunsmith, had him bed the stock, black matte cerakote all metal, float the barrel, and set the trigger at two pounds, it wears a matte 2.5-8 Leupold in dual dovetail bases and rings, it's one of the most un-fussy rifles I've ever had, shoots all bullets I've put through it with more than acceptable accuracy for 400 long yards of hunting.
I like that term "unfussy." Like overkill, it's way under-rated as a truly desirable characteristic in a rifle.
Sounds like you've put together an excellent hunting companion.
LOL, Thanks fishdog52, Your rifle sounds like a dandy too. smile
I know this has been dormant for a year but I am hoping y'all can help me out. I'm wanting to use Alliant pro power varmint powder for 200 grain Accubond bullets in 35 whelen. I've looked at noslers data and even made some imr 8208 xbr loads that were pretty good. I just really want to try pro power varmint. It is at the top of the velocity for 180gr and 220 so it seems like it would be for 200 also. I think speer has caught on to something before everyone else when it comes to 35 whelen and pro power varmint. Hopefully other manufacturers will test this powder with their bullets and update their load data.
I think I could safely take the maximum load for a bullet that is 20 grain heavier and start there with load development. I'm essentially asking if other people have done something similar and if so are my assumptions safe.
I know that bullet construction differs and that that effects pressure but all I can go from is speer bullets hot core (cup and core) type load data. Their 180gr max is 70gr of pro power varmint at over 3100fps (I loaded this and this velocity is legit) and 220gr max is 63.8gr. Theoretically a 200gr bullet max would be 66.9gr of powder. I am considering starting at 64gr-64.9gr and was wondering if someone who has done something similar would weigh in.
Thanks
Originally Posted by 18whlsrolin

I think I could safely take the maximum load for a bullet that is 20 grain heavier and start there with load development.

Most likely you are right and that'll work fine, but I'd back off a bit from that, maybe another grain or two, just to be safe. It'll cost you a few extra bullets and primers but it's worth being extra cautious with starting loads if you don't have actual data. Most of the time what you describe works out great, but I've run into enough cases myself where that technique ended up being a max load or even blowing primer pockets.

To be clear, I have no problem working up to hot loads, I'm just advocating starting a little lower to be sure. Do please post your results though; I'd like to see them.

I'm building an Ackley Improved, 24". That could get interesting.

Sometimes it takes a little time to have a PDF file download and open. There also may be a small window or bar on the screen ( near the top or bottom of the page, that is asking you if you want to down load the file. If so, click " yes" or "download file" depending on your command options. Then, be patient, and let the file download and open. May take a minute of two.

My little no name tablet is VERY slow with PDF files.
© 24hourcampfire