Home
I just picked up a Model 7 7mm-08. I was wondering what bullet and powder to start with for deer hunting in the woods, shots from 10-100 yards. I have tried 120 gn nbt with varget, IMR 4350, and IMR 4064. It doesn't seem to shoot the 120's very well (groups around 1 1/2 in but always have a flyer out to 2 in or over). Thanks.
140 Accubonds have been great performers for me. I've seen my buddy shoot a big mule deer at 30 yds with his 7STW and 140AB's. Bullet performance was exemplary, entering the back ham, and found underneath skin in front of front shoulder. Still retained over 60% of its weight. The sweet spot for me has been with 41-42g Varget.
Thanks JG. I am hoping going to 140 grains gets rid of the fliers. I am seating bullets to mag length, but the lands are out much further.
It seems contrary to me that you'd worry about group size in a thread about close-range deer shooting. My advice: stop it and go kill deer, or redefine your needs.
If 100 yds is your limit, I'd use something heavier and slower to minimize meat loss. 154, 162 or 175 Hornady Interlock would be good, but so would similar Sierras, Speer or Nosler BT. You don't have to run them at max speed either.
I know what You mean HuntnShoot. The fliers just drive me crazy. I am fine with 1 1/2 in groups, but random shots to over 2 in is something I feel I should try to eliminate.
Originally Posted by bricklayer
I know what You mean HuntnShoot. The fliers just drive me crazy. I am fine with 1 1/2 in groups, but random shots to over 2 in is something I feel I should try to eliminate.

Is the magazine box in a bind?
No it isn,t in a bind. I can reach a finger in and feel play in it. I went through all of that to get it to feed all shells properly.
Is your barrel free floated?
I run 140 bt over a slightly over max load of H414. Ragged single hole for groups. Hotter I go the tighter it shoots.

Knocks deer flat. Taken deer from about 50 yards out to 350. Never had to track one yet. All have dropped where they stood. Only draw back is they can be a bit messy. Keep them in the ribs.

This is also a model 7. Does not like 120 grain bullets either. Only other thing close accuracy wise was 160 accubonds. Used those on a bison cow.
The load we've used for the 7-08 under those conditions has been the 140 gr NBT driven by 38 gr of Varget. Performance is quite good on whitetail.
I just picked up a Model 7 7mm-08. I was wondering what bullet and powder to start with for deer hunting in the woods, shots from 10-100 yards. I have tried 120 gn nbt with varget, IMR 4350, and IMR 4064. It doesn't seem to shoot the 120's very well (groups around 1 1/2 in but always have a flyer out to 2 in or over). Thanks.

If a 7mm08 doesn't shot a 120gr BT's well you have either a rifle/scope/mounting system issue
Originally Posted by mathman

Is the magazine box in a bind?

he does't savvy what you mean
120 TTSX

140 or 150gr Partitions. Short range or long range they perform the same...........

45 grs of H414 under a 140 gr Partition gives me .390 at 100 yds and dead deer no matter if close or far...
I'm confident scope and mounts are good. Everything I found on forums says to not float model 7 barrel. I had a 7 in 243 that would shoot around 1 1/4 until I found out about seating bullets close to lands. It didn't take much to get it around 3/4. I can't do that with this gun. Magazine length has ogive at 2.222, lands are 2.326.
Thanks Mike7mm08. I am hoping that is this model 7's problem.
I have had a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08 since I bought it new in 1991. I floated the barrel immediately, and epoxy bedded the action. Mine is the early model with 18-1/2" blued barrel. I have owned three other Model Sevens, floated the barrels on all of them. My 7mm-08 shoots loads it likes into 1" or less at 100 yards.

My go-to load is from Ken Waters - 43.0 grains of WW-748 under a 139 grain Hornady spire point. Other bullets in the 139-140 range work fine, too. The late Ed Matunas was something of a Model Seven fan, and he floated his barrels. I tried full-length bedding my barrel once, and ended up grinding out all the epoxy.

Try yours with the bump in the barrel channel. If it doesn't shoot, remove the bump.

I have owned half a dozen 7mm-08s, and all shoot that 748 load well. Another good load is 47 grains of WW-760, same bullet. Mule Deer says to use 46 grains of Ramshot Big Game. I tried that, and it works, too. In my short barrel the 748 load chronographs around 2,650 fps. In a 24" barrel it's more like 2,850 fps. H380 is another powder which has worked well in the 7mm-08. My hunting buddy has a newer Model Seven with 18" barrel. He loads 140 grain Sierras over Varget, I think. He killed his buck this year with one shot. We're hunting here in the Northeast, lower NY State. there are few long shots in our area.
I bought a new Model Seven SS 7-08 with a 20" barrel a couple of months ago. I put a B&C stock on it, so the barrel is free floated. Mine shoots 120 grain NBTs and 140 grain Accubonds less than an 1" at 100 yards.
I've used a 7-08 as my primary whitetail rifle for quite a few years. My hunting conditions were about like you describe your ranges. Have used Rem 140 gr factory corelocts; reloads with 140 Nosler solid base; Speer 145 gr. Hot Cor and Grand Slams; Hornady 139 gr FB; 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam; and maybe a few others that I don't recall. Groups from about 3/4 inch to slightly over 2 in. didn't bother me. I just took what I had loaded and ready to go and went out and killed deer.
I will try the 140 nbt with Imr 4350 and Varget, because those powders are what I have. I realize it shoots good enough to shoot deer at close range but, trying different loads gives me something to do in winter. I thought my 243 was a 1 1/4 gun until I happened to shoot 70 gr Federal Blue Box into 1/2 to 3/4 in groups. Seated the 95 gr nbt to .030 from lands and BINGO duplicates that regularly.
For closer ranges in 7mm-08, I would prefer a heavier, bonded bullet. One of the most accurate in my Tikka T3 7-08 is the 156 grain Norma Oryx. I've had good accuracy from both Norma's factory loaded ammo and also with my handholds using Varget. Another powder that I would like to try with the Oryx bullet is H4895. Not going to get quite the velocity of Varget but, at closer ranges I don't know that 45 or 50 fps will make much difference. I do want to make it clear that I've not taken a deer with my hand loaded rounds or the Norma factory ammo as my rifle is currently set up for longer range. But, there are some good articles that discuss the merits this bullet.

Also, this spring I be trying Trophy Bonded Tipped and Sierra Pro Hunters. I really enjoy experimenting with the 7mm-08 as it is a reloader-friendly and apparently performs well with several different powders. Some day I hope to try Ramshot Big game since MD's recommendations on Ramshot powders have proven to be spot-on in two other calibers that I reload.
I have noticed people recomending magnum primers with Big Game powder in the 7mm-08. Is that correct?
I’ve never seen a 7-08 that wouldn’t shoot the 120’s. Even my rifle with a 1/8 twist shoots the little suckers well.

The Hornady 139 sp with 43 grains of Varget also works well.
jmh3, dvdgeorge says that too about the 120's, but Mike7mm08 in this thread, and me, both have model 7's that don't shoot the 120's well.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

If a 7mm08 doesn't shot a 120gr BT's well you have either a rifle/scope/mounting system issue

Or a gun that doesn't like a boattail bullet. Not unheard of, had a 1/2" 270 with flat based bullets, 3-4" with boattail bullets on a good day.
Find a load for the Hornady 154 grn round nose. That should really smack hard.
I'd look to the 140 TTSX, thats my pic for my 7x57.
Interesting point about boattail bullet 10gauge. I never considered that. Now I wonder wether to try 140 bt or some 140 flat base bullets next. I may try h414 per mike7mm08's suggestion next since he had same gun and situation.
BT seems to do more meat damage at close ranges so I use the Interbond, TSX, Accubond or Hornady interlock.
Currently using TSX at close ranges

Re-15 works well with 120's in my 7-08's
Re-15 seems to be a reocurring suggestion for 120's on the forums, as are the 139 interlocks for deer. I see the interlocks are flatbase or boattail also.
I'm getting 3000fps with 120 grain NBT using Varget and 2800fps with 140 grain Accubonds using RL16.

This is out of my 20" barreled Model Seven SS 7-08.
Okay, I will try h414 and either 140 sierra pro hunters or 139 flatbase interlocks, whichever I can find locally, next. That will be getting away from 120's and boattail at same time. I like the thought of heavier bullets, but have read so much good about 120bt, dissapointed that my gun doesn't seem to be consistent with them.
Okay, I will try h414 and either 140 sierra pro hunters or 139 flatbase interlocks, whichever I can find locally, next. That will be getting away from 120's and boattail at same time. I like the thought of heavier bullets, but have read so much good about 120bt, dissapointed that my gun doesn't seem to be consistent with them.

Try looking here
http://powdervalleyinc.com/index.html
Bricklayer,
Here's where you start, and where you stop.

140 Partition
47.5 gr Big Game
Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer
2.805"

Thank me later.

P
I'll second the 156 gr Oryx under H4350. This was my first year to use it in my 7X57, two deer and a hog DRT. Caught one under tha skin on a quartering away shot (100 yards) on a big whitetail that mushroomed to triple the diameter and weighed 144 gr after boiling it clean. They run .70 cents a piece and worth every penny. Also the second most accurate in my gun behind the 139 gr SST.
Shot a deer at 35 paces with 140 Sierra PH over Varget (2775 fps). Shot was almost head-on; slight quartering. Went in at right shoulder and ended up in hide on rear left side. Seemed to work pretty good.
I have a favorite lightweight Remington 7mm-08 that wears a 20" factory barrel. It's been a little picky about what it likes. The 120NBT and 120TTSX have been no-go's, even with several powders. They are often 1.5 to 2MOA. Not sure why. I remembered reading something Big Stick posted about 15 years back regarding Speers in factory 7mm-08 chambers, as their nose length/shape will often let you get near the lands. I had some old-stock 145 boattails on the shelf, so I loaded them over 47gr of H4350 and put them nearly on the lands. 3/4" groups at 2,700fps is what I got. That's as good as I can shoot a rifle than weighs something like 6.5lb scoped. The bullet has killed well for me, at ranges of 30 to 200 yards. If shooting 100yds or less, I might would try the 145/160gr Hot-Cors, as they are tougher. My rifle also will shoot the cheap 139gr Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo into 1.2MOA or so, which is actually fine for most of the hunting I do with that little carbine. The 139 IL is a good bullet.
Pharmseller, I have noticed You always recommend the Big Game load. Must be something to it. I see You also say use a magnum primer. JPro, I was kind of thinking the same thing with the lead nose vs plastic bt might get closer to lands. I see Tikka owners say they aren't close to lands and shoot very good.
I think people worry to much about being close to the lands, particularly in hunting rifles. I have several 308's that have bullets jumping .100" and yet they regularly deliver 1/2 to 5/8 moa five shot groups.
Not being close to the lands is often not a problem, but it sometimes helps. It does with that rifle. Others I have are shooting great while pole vaulting to the rifling.
I get that, you actually tested in the rifle. I was thinking of seeing a lot of agonizing over it before any testing has even been done.
Yep, that is a good point. It's not critical more often than it is.
I've had limited experience with the 7mm-08, but the 140 Sierra PH at 2815fps gave me excellent accuracy and terminal performance at reasonable ranges. I switched to the 120 NBT after hearing all the great reviews on here. It's giving me one-hole groups at 3030fps but I haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet. Rifle is a stainless Marlin XS-7.
I hear You mathman. Closer to lands relly helped my 243 but isn't an option on this gun with mag length. I am going to try 140's next and see what happens.
Please indulge me, I want to make sure I understand your earlier answer to my question about magazine box binding.

I wasn't asking about the follower and spring being free to move and allow good feeding. I meant was the box itself in a bind? With the rifle assembled without the follower and spring, with the bolt withdrawn, can you reach down into the magazine with a finger and get the magazine box to wiggle a bit?

If you want to try a 120 go with a 120 grain Sierra ProHunter.
Mathman, I took gun apart to adjust trigger, and after putting back together it wouldn't feed correctly. I realized the mag box wasn't seated in the groove of the floorplate, and was pinched tight. I disassembled again and have mag box floating now, and it feeds correctly. This was all before I tested my loads. But yes it is the metal mag box that I can reach in and "wiggle". I went to local reload supply and got re-15 to try with my remaining 120's, and a box of 140 sierra game kings to try when I get h414 and Big Game powder. I really appreciate all of the responses so far!
Thanks.

I "cured" a friend's M7 by freeing up the mag box so I was thinking about it.
Thank You mathman. I do have to be particularly aware of that putting it back together, seems to be easier to get it wrong than right.
I’d go buy a box of Hornady American Whitetail ammo with the 139 interlock bullet and try those out.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I’d go buy a box of Hornady American Whitetail ammo with the 139 interlock bullet and try those out.

I bought some of that ammo to zero my scope cause it was cheap. It wasn't accurate and was very slow in my rifle.
Pharmseller, I have noticed You always recommend the Big Game load. Must be something to it.

Although I've had good luck with my Varget load and140's, I'm going to give BG & WLRMs a whirl. Pharmseller and JB can't both be wrong........
Pharmseller, I have noticed You always recommend the Big Game load. Must be something to it. I see You also say use a magnum primer. JPro, I was kind of thinking the same thing with the lead nose vs plastic bt might get closer to lands. I see Tikka owners say they aren't close to lands and shoot very good.

I load for four 7mm-08s, all Tikkas. All four shoot 140 grain bullets sub-MOA. Three of the four shoot 150 ELDX sub-MOA, the fourth might, I just haven't tried it yet.

Every load for every rifle uses Big Game and Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers.

P
I load the 7/08 for my daughter who only hunts with me, and usually at powder burn range. The 140 NBT over 40 grains of Varget flattens then.

I have used that same bullet extensively in the STW, and they don't take any prisoners at MV of 3500 either.
Update. Sierra 140 game kings are touching lands at 2.285 to ogive. Loaded rl-15 from 39 gr to 41 gr. seated bullets .015 from lands and ave. 2- 3 shot groups went .73 for 39 gr. to 1.35 at 41 grain. Loaded imr 4350 also but really no improvement over the 120 gr nbt. So I think the rl-15 powder had more to do with it than seating depth. Still waiting on mailman for brass and the rest of the 120 bt. Anyone have experience with the 140 game kings? I am pleased with the 39 gr rl-15 load. Thanks. Still want to try big game powder also.
I'd really not be afraid of any 140-150gr cup/core on deer at 7mm-08 speeds. I've always seen them perform rather well, much like 150-165gr stuff in the .308win. You may catch a Gameking on a quartering shot into a shoulder, but they should work fine overall. That's about how the Speer 145 works for me, and it's very tough on vitals at 2,700fps.
IMR 4064 with Speer 130 BTSP
That's kinda what I was thinking Jpro. Sierra load data basically shows 39 gr. rl-15 2650 fps from 26 in. barrel, mine is only 20 in. so would be slower. Am I thinking right, that lower velocity would help cup and core at close range?
That's kinda what I was thinking Jpro. Sierra load data basically shows 39 gr. rl-15 2650 fps from 26 in. barrel, mine is only 20 in. so would be slower. Am I thinking right, that lower velocity would help cup and core at close range?

Is the Sierra data using Federal brass? If you're using something else you'll probably need to use a bit more powder to make full pressure.
Likely would help it hold together and probably would perform about like Remington's 140gr Core-Lokt Reduced Recoil load. That load is great on deer inside 200yds or so and I know some people who use it around here. My daughter has shot 120 and 140gr Ballistic Tips in her 7mm-08 at even slower speeds and they always punched through and wrecked vitals on 50-100yd deer. Didn't blow up a lot of meat either.
Yes mathman, Federal brass. I am using the 30 Remington brass that came with gun. I have Lapua coming from Monmouth for $79.00 100.
That's good to hear JPro. I'm anxious to try the rl-15 with the 120 nbt when they get here.
For what its worth, I reload the 7mm-08 but had bought a box of Hornady superformance 139 grain before I started and it kills deer with such authority I see no need to hunt with anything else. I use the reloads for fun shooting and target practice for the Grandson. Per the Box the FPS is 2940 which approaches 7mag territory. and after watching 2 deer die with one shot like it was the hammer of Thor I am a believer.
I'm throwing in with those that have recommended the 140gr Nosler Partition. You'll get good penetration plus good expansion and dead deer.
Originally Posted by Galaxieman
For what its worth, I reload the 7mm-08 but had bought a box of Hornady superformance 139 grain before I started and it kills deer with such authority I see no need to hunt with anything else. I use the reloads for fun shooting and target practice for the Grandson. Per the Box the FPS is 2940 which approaches 7mag territory. and after watching 2 deer die with one shot like it was the hammer of Thor I am a believer.

I'll bet if you chrono'ed the load you'd be short 150 fps.

But who cares, it kills.

P
Probably so, since mine is a 22" and the test barrel is probably a 26 or so. but Yeah, it sure works.
G-man
I picked up a Howa for less than $300. and I hunt woods ranges, or what I call 30/30 ranges..

My solution to the 'problem' was a 139 grain Hornady, that was fed 30 grains of 3031 for fuel.
Pretty close to what you'd get out of Remington Managed Recoil loads...

deer didn't cooperate, as the herd numbers are way down here.. with all the coyotes,
cougars and now wolves running loose in the area...

however did load for a young scout, and he connected with one on family property....
bang flop, under 100 yds..

in the 7 x 57, I've taken deer, with varmint bullets at those short ranges.. they open up well
and at 100 yds or less, 25 to 30 grains of powder has mega low recoil, like your 223 or so..

second biggest blacktail I've taken was with a 115 grain Speer HP, with 28 grains of SR 4759...
right thru the heart........
© 24hourcampfire