Home
Based upon your knowledge and experience today, if you were starting all over, what make and model equipment would you go with?

I'm just starting, but here's what I went with:
Forster Co-Ax Press
Forster Micrometer seating dies & FL sizing dies
Forster case trimmer
Redding BR Powder Measure
Redding No. 2 Scales
Cabela's/Berry's tumbler
21st Century Concentricity Gauge and hand-priming tool

I'm not one to go cheap now and upgrade later, it ends up costing more in the long run. I probably spent WAY more than I needed to, especially since I'm just loading hunting rounds for my bolt guns, but I tried to buy what I wouldn't regret.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you,just starting. I went with the same press but I'm using the Forster Benchrest dies right now, weighing every charge(no powder measure) and using an older RCBS 10-10 Ohaus scale,which I also check with a digital.

I'm going with the Sinclair LE Wilson case trimmer. I haven't bought it yet though.

I would like to ask why the hand primer rather than using the primer on the Forster press? I thought the Forster press primer was considered very good.
I like the RCBS equipment I have, press and dies. I have a coupling Redding powder measures. I like the RCBS hand primers, have a couple of them.
I think you've made splendid choices. That equipment will last your lifetime.
Good choices. I'd choose the Ohaus/RCBS 10-10 scale as well, an older one. Nothing wrong with the Redding as I have one of those also.
I started reloading more than 40 years ago and have constantly upgraded my equipment. Today I am using Ponsness Warren presses, P-200 and Metal-matic Redding match powder measure and RCBS Little Dandy for handgun loads. I prime with RCBS hand priming tools having two set-up for the calibers I load for, my scale is an Ohaus 10-10. I use a Lyman case trimmer and VLD deburr tool, dies are a mix of RCBS sizers and Hornady seaters.
I wish I wouldn't have wasted money on a beam scale, powder thrower, and trickler. Luckily I corrected those problems very early on.
Dillon 550 w/ Whidden floating tool heads
Giraud trimmer
Amp annealer
FX-120i scale + auto throw + auto trickler
Forster or Redding bushing dies
10-10 scale
Little Crow trimmers
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you,just starting. I went with the same press but I'm using the Forster Benchrest dies right now, weighing every charge(no powder measure) and using an older RCBS 10-10 Ohaus scale,which I also check with a digital.

I'm going with the Sinclair LE Wilson case trimmer. I haven't bought it yet though.

I would like to ask why the hand primer rather than using the primer on the Forster press? I thought the Forster press primer was considered very good.

I done too much reading on 6mmbr.com, that's how I ended up with the hand primer, lol. The priming system on the Co-Ax may be very good, but if it's not, that 21st Century hand primer will live longer than I will and probably the guy I leave it to.
The things I've bought from 21st Century are first class.
Based upon your knowledge and experience today, if you were starting all over, what make and model equipment would you go with?

I'd get a Fieldcraft rifle in 7mm-08 or .308 and find a factory load or two that it shot well, buy a couple cases of that up and just hunt. smirk
There is more than one combination of getting it done right for sure, but I think you made good choices on what you bought. A friend of mine has recently taken the reloading plunge too. He chose the Forster press as well. I'm going to walk him thru the fundamentals this weekend, but the press is new to me too. He's convinced it's the cat's azz and I've read/ watched videos saying the same , but I haven't warmed up to it yet.

To answer your question, my biggest change would be better dies. Meaning dies that make straighter ammo, and I've recently started moving toward Forster dies for my rockchucker and I bought an arbor press and some Wilson seaters .
Originally Posted by Teeder

I'd get a Fieldcraft rifle in 7mm-08 or .308 and find a factory load or two that it shot well, buy a couple cases of that up and just hunt. smirk

Some of us are as interested, or even more interested, in handloading and fiddling with rifles than we are in hunting.
Been at it for (60) years and Dillon has served me well for last (30)!
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Teeder

Some of us are as interested, or even more interested, in handloading and fiddling with rifles than we are in hunting.

That's fine, but I'm answering knowing what I know now.

I don't have the time or desire to screw with stuff anymore. On top of that, factory ammo is really good these days. YMMV
I was thinking more of handloading equipment, but I guess the Fieldcraft rifle works since the OP just said equipment and not handloading equipment.
Originally Posted by mathman
I was thinking more of handloading equipment, but I guess the Fieldcraft rifle works since the OP just said equipment and not handloading equipment.

But I did post in the handloading forum. grin

And I would like to have one of them there Fieldcraft rifles too!
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I'm not one to go cheap now and upgrade later, it ends up costing more in the long run. I probably spent WAY more than I needed to, especially since I'm just loading hunting rounds for my bolt guns, but I tried to buy what I wouldn't regret.

I'm one of those that went cheap to start and you are absolutely right! Went cheap about 1955 when all I could afford was an old 'nutcracker' Lyman 310 hand loader. From there I got an RG Wells press and dies. Still have the invoice. All tolled the cost was $26. for complete setup. Then I went through all the iterations including Lee press, Lyman Orange Crusher, various RCBS, and probably others that I don't recall during various experimenting stages with presses. Still have my favorite, the Forster Coax, the Orange Crusher, RCBS and one Lee press I occasionally take to the range. About 25 years ago I picked up a Dillon XL650 which I still use. Have dies of all makes but predominantly Forster, Redding and RCBS in over 30 cartridges. Just didn't have the money in the early days to get the good stuff. When I did I went for the gold!!
RCBS rockchucker combo with the dies from the same.

I have a few that i had to get from redding,Hornaday and lee.

The press i have was bought in 1977,came with powder measure,case lube pad with lube,scale and the dies of your choice.
The only thing i got later was the measure stand.
The setup of the OP selected is pretty good. I use a forster co-ax and dies also but most of mine are the benchrest seater. I have one set with the micrometer head but don't find it's needed so I saved the money on the rest. One thing I would add is a RCBS chargemaster, I load too much ammo to weigh each load manually and I dislike thrown charges. I have a powder measure but took it off my bench and stored it, I use the chargemaster for everything now. I find the hand primer to be a must, I dislike the primer seater on the co-ax. I know lots of folks praise it but I find trying to seat primers with the co-ax to be a PITA.
For precision hand loading for Rifles, you got the best press out there. I have one and I use a combination of Redding and Forster Dies and I am VERY impressed with the Co-Ax Press.

But, if you want to load anything in volume, it may not be the best choice. That's why I also have a Redding Big Boss II that I load magnum pistol on and a Dillon 550 that I load all my Semi-Auto cartridges as well as 300 BO and 5.56mm.

Use the right tool for the right job and you will do well.
The first press I ever loaded on was an RCBS. I have three of them now, a couple Herters rifle presses, a couple other presses, four Herters shotgun presses, a few scales, a few measures.

The presses all do what they do just as well as any other press, if not as fast as some. I still much prefer my original Redding 500 grain scale. Loading is for me a quiet time activity and I rarely load any big volume of ammo in one sitting. I do load enough to put 4-5 thousand rounds down range in a year, and I will load a few hundred light .223 loads for whacking small varmints at a sitting. I like my RCBS hand primers but only because I have several and do not have to change shell holders and primer sizes. My shotgun presses are fast enough to support target shooting in a league.

I suppose if I had to load a lot of one particular kind of ammo over an extended period I might automate some. The presses all load nice straight ammo.

I'd just do what I have done and stay with good quality stuff and spend the extra money on more guns.
I had a Co-Ax press for a short while and wasn't that impressed with it. For rifle reloading I like Ponsness Warren's press, it allows me to leave the dies for the two calibers I reload for set-up all I need to do is sit down and start loading. Same with PW's handgun press two caliber dies all set-up, just have to loosen two cap screws and rotate turret 180 degrees and I've changed calibers. Both PW's are exceptionally well made intelligently engineered pieces of equipment. The metallic presses are less well known that their shotgun presses but are great presses. They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for, I bought mine used and paid only 50% of retail.
I love my Forster however it does not like priming rimmed cartridges. I must sort the brass and set the priming portion accordingly per batch of brass for 30-30 and other rimmed cases.

I like my Forster dies however when I broke them or bent a decapping stem Forster charges me full price in comparison to RCBS, Redding, or Dillon. Besides, the Forster press doesn't clear some of my micrometer dies so I use them on the Redding or RCBS presses.

I would still buy the Forster press if it was (a lot) closer the the $225 I paid for it brand new.

I like all these products and would buy them again if I could afford them. Thanks for turning me on the the xxicsi (21st Century) line.
I like my Rockchucker press, I’m not a high volume loader. It’s great for my use!
The Colonel Cooper Combo, a good .30/06 plus a .458. Both Model 70's.
The rest are toys.
John
I have been reloading for 40 years myself. I use the RCBS press and 505 scale almost daily. I don’t have any issues with the scale. I reload methodically. Now I do have a Wilson case trimmer and bench rest die sets for several of my rifles. Today I loaded 50 rounds for my 220 Swift. I think I need a new powder dumper. I have one now but I still set the charge to drop 2-3 grains light and trickle in to get finished load.
I read everyone’s post to see what equipment they are using so when I’m trolling around I may spring for a new piece.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I love my Forster however it does not like priming rimmed cartridges. I must sort the brass and set the priming portion accordingly per batch of brass for 30-30 and other rimmed cases.

I like my Forster dies however when I broke them or bent a decapping stem Forster charges me full price in comparison to RCBS, Redding, or Dillon. Besides, the Forster press doesn't clear some of my micrometer dies so I use them on the Redding or RCBS presses.

I would still buy the Forster press if it was (a lot) closer the the $225 I paid for it brand new.

I like all these products and would buy them again if I could afford them. Thanks for turning me on the the xxicsi (21st Century) line.

I back-ordered my press from Brownells a month or so ago when they were still listed at $299. I used a $50 off coupon and got into my press for $249.
You have made great choices. At least they agree with mine although I started cheaper and worked up to the good stuff. One thing you don’t have yet that I will never be without now is a RCBS trim mate or another brand of the same tool. The only thing about the trim mate I don’t like is the chips or shavings fall on top and eventually are in the way.

Fred
Loading is pretty simple. No sense in overcomplicating things. Keep it simple. Single stage rockchucker, RCBS fl dies, concentricity gauge and recently a frankfort arsenal case prep center. Knowing how to quickly and easily work up loads without wasting a lot of money and life is good. Been doing it this way forever....
I bought an RCBS Reloader Special 5 kit over 25 years ago and would do the same in a heartbeat. I added a Redding 2400 case trimmer a number of years back which is a nice unit. The only thing I would change would be to get a powder measure, most likely one of the Redding ones. Haven't done it yet but it's in the plans.
I have 2 Hornady presses, a Forster Coax press, a Lee press, and a RCBS. The Forster and the Hornady presses are my favorite. The Lee is a progressive press that I only use for 9mm and 45acp. I have most all the dies. For me, they all work well.

Forster Co-Ax Press
Forster case trimmer
Redding No. 2 Scales
Cabela's/Berry's tumbler

You have good stuff.

Some of the same list, except I have a Sinclair Concentricity gauge, Lee Classic Cast press and an old Ohaus 1010 scale, my second run of stuff. To do over I wish I'd grabbed a Redding T7 press and a bunch of plates. And I would not part with my RCBS Chargemaster and RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. Really like my Forster trimmer and no complaints on the Cabela's/Berry's tumbler.

Still, the most accurate loads I have made were with a wimpy second hand Lee aluminum press, Lee Ram Prime, Lee Collet and Hornady FL and Seating dies, with charges weighed on an old semi-wonky Lyman scale. I think I had stumbled into a few exceptionally accurate factory barrels at the time. LOL. I mainly got into upgrading to the current tools for ease of use and trying to get a handle on runout while troubleshooting while applying what I have learned here on the 'Fire. I really enjoy the micrometer competition seating dies and almost exclusively use Lee Collet neck dies and Redding body when needed. I have zero interest in neck trimming or using bushing dies. I only recently got the Redding powder measure.

The only thing I am currently contemplating is some sort of prep center super multi-tool spinning wonder machine just to be lazy. Someday, the T7 when I get a bigger area to work with, maybe. I used to have a few hundred primers and just a few pounds of powder, now I horde like a fiend!
Buy Royce's T7 and stash it.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Forster Co-Ax Press
Forster case trimmer
Redding No. 2 Scales
Cabela's/Berry's tumbler

You have good stuff.

Some of the same list, except I have a Sinclair Concentricity gauge, Lee Classic Cast press and an old Ohaus 1010 scale, my second run of stuff. To do over I wish I'd grabbed a Redding T7 press and a bunch of plates. And I would not part with my RCBS Chargemaster and RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. Really like my Forster trimmer and no complaints on the Cabela's/Berry's tumbler.

Still, the most accurate loads I have made were with a wimpy second hand Lee aluminum press, Lee Ram Prime, Lee Collet and Hornady FL and Seating dies, with charges weighed on an old semi-wonky Lyman scale. I think I had stumbled into a few exceptionally accurate factory barrels at the time. LOL. I mainly got into upgrading to the current tools for ease of use and trying to get a handle on runout while troubleshooting while applying what I have learned here on the 'Fire. I really enjoy the micrometer competition seating dies and almost exclusively use Lee Collet neck dies and Redding body when needed. I have zero interest in neck trimming or using bushing dies. I only recently got the Redding powder measure.

The only thing I am currently contemplating is some sort of prep center super multi-tool spinning wonder machine just to be lazy. Someday, the T7 when I get a bigger area to work with, maybe. I used to have a few hundred primers and just a few pounds of powder, now I horde like a fiend!

If you ever want to part with that Ohaus, let me know.
There you go Boomer. Sell the Ohaus to StudDuck and buy the T7. Win-win-win.
© 24hourcampfire